REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Anyone received a ticket for failure to change address?

I guess it's a thing. I just got one... Section 31(1) $109.
There was a roadblock near hwy 1 by the PNE and the cop pretty much thought I had been drinking or something (which I had not) so he tells me to pull over.
He basically asks where I'm coming from and where I'm headed so I tell him I just came back from my friends now I'm just going to (address) and he asks how long I've been living there I told him since November and that's when he asked oh so this is not your current address on your license and I told him that yes I still use it as my main address and that I stay there too. Not really any more questions. He went into his car for a good 10 mins. Comes back with a fucking blue paper. Are you effing kidding me. Ugh I'm so pissed. Not sure if I should even bother disputing or not (I'm leaning towards yes) but I'm wondering what are the odds of me winning this dumb (really dumb) ticket. All my correspondence, and everything does get sent to the address on my license as it is my parents house.
He tells me that I have 10 days to change the address on my license but it really doesn't make sense as the place I'm staying at is really temporary and my parents house is a permanent one. Any ideas or suggestions?
Advertisement
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Go to the DMV and they print out a label to put on the back of your license, go to the police station and show he officer you've done it.

Problem? Jesus Christ RS do we have to hold your hand for every god damn human interaction?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

In before OP says this thread was fake and intended to provoke discussion for a paper he is writing.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Dispute it
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Hire a lawyer?
Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Go to the DMV and they print out a label to put on the back of your license, go to the police station and show he officer you've done it.
You don't even have to go to the DMV, you can do it online for free:

https://www.addresschange.gov.bc.ca/
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
I got pulled over for speeding but he was "nice" and only gave me a ticket for not changing the address. He said if I had a new address, I had 30 days to change it on my license. You are supposed to go to the ICBC licensing office and they will just print out a sticker of your new address to put on your license.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i didn't even know they had a ticket for that lol
cop must've been having a shit day
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
You don't even have to go to the DMV, you can do it online for free:

https://www.addresschange.gov.bc.ca/
Though yes, I've done it 3 times and each time it is mailed to me, it's never shown up. So if he has only 10 days to show the officer he's done it he should go to the dmv and have it dealt with asap
Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma123 View Post
I guess it's a thing. I just got one... Section 31(1) $109.
There was a roadblock near hwy 1 by the PNE and the cop pretty much thought I had been drinking or something (which I had not) so he tells me to pull over.
He basically asks where I'm coming from and where I'm headed so I tell him I just came back from my friends now I'm just going to (address) and he asks how long I've been living there I told him since November and that's when he asked oh so this is not your current address on your license and I told him that yes I still use it as my main address and that I stay there too. Not really any more questions. He went into his car for a good 10 mins. Comes back with a fucking blue paper. Are you effing kidding me. Ugh I'm so pissed. Not sure if I should even bother disputing or not (I'm leaning towards yes) but I'm wondering what are the odds of me winning this dumb (really dumb) ticket. All my correspondence, and everything does get sent to the address on my license as it is my parents house.
He tells me that I have 10 days to change the address on my license but it really doesn't make sense as the place I'm staying at is really temporary and my parents house is a permanent one. Any ideas or suggestions?
Well, you said you are living there since November. How is that considered really temporary?? You will have a hard time disputing this one.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
In less than 3 months, it will be November again. Which means you will have lived at your new residence for one full year without changing your address.

How is that temporary? Cops got you 100% guilty.

Should have just told him the address on your card is your permanent address. If you're going to cheat the system. Keep your story straight.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #12

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I'm sure in hindsight he would have told the cop he was heading to his girlfriends place instead of his new address lol. Seriously though that cop must have wanted to get you on anything he could
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #13

That road block gave a couple of my buddies Vi's on their Ruckus's

Current:

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2001 Honda S2000
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #14

Are you serious??? Let me guess, no fenders on the stretched fatty rear wheels
Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Seriously though that cop must have wanted to get you on anything he could
I don't understand this attitude.

The cop did his job, the one we pay him 100k a year to do, and for that reason he is villainized, and he gets told that he must have really wanted to nail him for something.

Ever stopped to think that maybe, he just wanted to ensure that everything was correct, noticed something that wasn't, and simply followed proper protocol and issued a ticket for a VERY ticketable offence?

Same goes for the VI's on the rucks. I love rucks, and what some guys do with them is nothing short of amazing, but you have to understand when you take what is basically a vespa and hack it up to sit 2" off the ground, and elongate it by like 2 feet. You are really stepping outside of the designers realm for that piece of equipment, and therefore open yourself to things like VI's and tickets.

You can't seriously complain when a PO writes you a VI for something that is so obviously hacked up.

You start with this:

Something that has the headlights, turnsignals and countless other safety items, very deliberately placed, to meet all sorts of safety and MVA guidelines.

You take that item, and turn it into this:

Something which has been built with a lot of love, but with absolute and utter disregard for any safety standards or lighting guidelines or whatever.

So really can you blame the cop?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #16

Meanwhile all bicyclist are riding without helmets in Kits.. Which is also a law, but barely/rarely enforced..

Reason why I sold my ruckus was the fact that they were the new targets.. Got myself a Grom and cops never hassle, even while riding at 113db at WOT..

Current:

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2001 Honda S2000
Old 08-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

The cop did his job, the one we pay him 100k a year to do, and for that reason he is villainized, and he gets told that he must have really wanted to nail him for something.

Ever stopped to think that maybe, he just wanted to ensure that everything was correct, noticed something that wasn't, and simply followed proper protocol and issued a ticket for a VERY ticketable offence?
I don't think it's VERY ticketable. It's murky at best. Definitely something that should be disputed. We're paying the cop $100k a year to take down drunk drivers and other idiots, not the guy who doesn't have quite his living arrangements in order.

I wouldn't say he's villainized. Sure, he's just doing his job but I mean, CAMAN, who the fuck gets a ticket over a failure to change address? From a bystander's perspective, it's a fairly reasonable situation. The type of situation where you pretty much make a judgement call. Even in traffic court where it's black and white it's hard to explain and if you explain the living arrangement well enough, I can see the judge siding with OP.
From what I understand, OP still uses the license address as his main address.

One would have to assume that cop just didnt like OP or there's more to this story.

edit:
here's some stats...lol i guess it's a lot more prevalent than i thought.
2200 convictions of 31(1) in 2014

http://drivesmartbc.ca/police/police...-write-tickets
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 08-04-2015 at 12:43 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #18

So, instead of just fixing the problem, he should dispute it and cost the tax payers $1000??

Fuck off with your bullshit
Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #19

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:

I guess we have different opinions on what a very ticketable offense is then. Proper protocol would mean he'd ticket anyone going 5km over the limit too since that's against the law, but I'm sure he doesn't. Sometimes a simple "hey you know you need to get this changed or you'll get a ticket" can go a long way.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So, instead of just fixing the problem, he should dispute it and cost the tax payers $1000??

Fuck off with your bullshit
i'd do it
i don't think it's bullshit, granted, I don't know OP's living arrangements.
But if I was in the same shoes, I'd call BS on the ticket and at least demand the chance to explain myself. It's well within my rights. So yeah I'd fuck on with my bullshit.

And please, St. 320icar or any other Saints we have on here when it comes to disputing, don't hate on the people using the system. It's there. It's an option. Not everyone has halos over their head like you.
I disputed every ticket I got way back. Some where I was clearly in the wrong. I'd fess up and probably pay it now. I paid the last ticket I got cus I knew I was in the wrong then.

But way back, hell even now, it's an easy opportunity to skip paying out $100+. You'd have to be pretty stupid to ignore that option ethics or not.

So pull your motherfucking head out of the halo and out of your ass and get fucking real. You have a hate on for people who abuse a system, go after the idiots who put it there in the first motherfucking place. Quit with your fucking yapping saint ass bullshit. Go to fucking church for all I give a fuck about.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I guess we have different opinions on what a very ticketable offense is then.
He hasn't lived at the "CURRENT" address for the better part of 9 months. I can understand if your staying with a friend for a couple months, but 9 months constitutes moving.

And yes PO's can write tickets for 5km/h over the speed limit, and if you get one, just like this, if you admit to knowing that you were speeding, you should just pay it and move on.

OP is wrong, officer is right. OP should man up.

Regardless of how you think I walk around on a high horse, or with a halo over my head. I have never disputed a ticket, because my time is worth more than that, and also because I try not to put myself in that position.

When the day comes that I may need to dispute a ticket, I will have a proper reason. Not simply "Because I can get away without paying 100 bucks". Fuck these entitled pricks.

Also I have begun lobbying the transport ministers, and my local MP to raise the cost of disputing a ticket. I'm sick and tired of seeing the same lifeless losers waltzing into the courts clogging up the system with their bullshit.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #22

Quote:
He hasn't lived at the "CURRENT" address for the better part of 9 months. I can understand if your staying with a friend for a couple months, but 9 months constitutes moving.

Also I have begun lobbying the transport ministers, and my local MP to raise the cost of disputing a ticket. I'm sick and tired of seeing the same lifeless losers waltzing into the courts clogging up the system with their bullshit.
lol...yeah, that's where the disputable things start. Set definitions for moving, and all that since technically, OP can still be found at the address on his license and he see that address as more "permanent". Definitions have to be set and established. As OP mentioned, he still stays there. I don't know what life stage OP is in but I can think of a few people who've been hopping around with their main address still at their parents.
9 months isn't that long if you think about it, how much has OP spent in the address in question over that period? Does he stay there 4 days of the week? Does he stay there every other week?

Based on OP's story, it seems like the Cop jumped to a conclusion pretty quickly without asking more questions. Hence, the possibility for a dispute. And with a good enough explanation (and assuming OP's background is clean), I can see the judge siding the OP.

Bravo for making a move on that. It's a broken system. Like I said, not everyone's an angel. Call em all the shitty names in the world, it doesn't change the fact that what they're doing is well within their right. I wouldn't do it now, but if I was strapped for cash or I just didn't give two shits, I'll do it and feel no shred of remorse. At the end of the day, the bottom line is that I did nothing wrong.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #23

Bruv, the dispute system is like welfare. It's an amazing tool to help people. BUT just like anything that can be used, it can be ABUSED. And disputing a ticket which is 100% deserved is absolutely abusing the system.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #24
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,383 Times in 5,083 Posts
I still use my parents address and I haven't lived there for over 10 years.

Difference between you and me? I'm not ignorant of a very common and easily searched law and if asked that question would just say a month ago and that's that.

If I got a ticket tho I'd pay it. What's there to dispute? You didn't change your addy boom done judge will tell you to fuck off... Unless you plan to change your story and commit perjury in court that'd be real smart.

Chalk it up to a learning experience and next time don't get played!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #25
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

It wouldn't make sense to lawyer up since its only a $109 fine
Yes I was ignorant about this, but at the same time the cop did not let me explain myself. I did tell him that I've been living at this place since Nov but I did also say that I stay at my parents too. For all he knows, I spend 50% of my time at my parents and 50% at this other place (IE g/f place). He just took that information and literally went to his car for like 10 mins and came back with the ticket.
It's just complete B.S since the cop was just trying to nail me for anything and everything and tbh I felt like I was treated like I was guilty of DUI when I hadn't even had anything to drink or done anything wrong. I was just waiting for the cop to ask me to step out of the car and ask me to blow.
Even then, I still don't plan on changing my address. Technically I still live there..
I highly doubt the cop would cancel the ticket anyways even if I showed him that the address has been changed. Anyone ever had success doing that? The cop didn't tell me that I had to change it and show him..He just mentioned that I should change it within 10 days.
IMO he should have given a warning seeing that I have a clean record (for the most part) and have never been warned about this issue in the past.

Last edited by asma123; 08-04-2015 at 07:17 PM.
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: