REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #51
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
you guys are all seeking "truth" but the truth can easily be deducted by looking at the pictures alone.

what you guys are seeking isnt truth, it's just to bash china.

if a nuke went off, and they said only 2000 people died. and the pictures and easy evidence doesn't match (you have pictures of whole city leveled)... there would be western news all over the world calling on china to tell the truth.

but there's none, you know why? cuz any idiot can see that it was just some big chemical blast caused by an accident, and the statistics match up. it's highly reasonable.

it's not like a chinese 9/11 where buildings collapse and chinese news just goes "nope, no one died, no pictures allowed... nope.. nope..."

there's a very obvious difference which you guys seem to ignore.

you only concentrate on the "china" part.

if this happened in the USA, would the statistics sound ok? so... why not china? cuz they have a history of lying? lol.

the story of the child crying wolf comes to mind. and you guys are the villagers. and the child is china. there's nothing the child can say to make the villagers believe anything. because the villagers are ignorant fools that only believe what they want to believe.
How do you manage to completely miss the underlying lesson of the boy who cried wolf?
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #52
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
I agree that 3000 seems very unlikely.

However trying to say it has anything to do with "because you hate China" is the fucking stupidest shit to say, even for Ulic.

The reason people say it must be higher is 1) Because official casualty numbers coming out of disasters in China have been unreliable and 2) People look at an explosion in the most populated country in the world, see how big it is, and think it must be higher. 3) China has a poor safety record generally. They are still modernizing and going through 'growing pains' when it comes to things like safety procedures with everything from construction to storage of dangerous goods.

There is some anti-China sentiment when people discuss things like annoying shoppers and tourists, and driving up real estate prices around the world. But to attribute this sentiment to people coming to grips with a horrible disaster is just.... Come on man.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #53
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Your right, news out of official channels in China is scarce and tightly controlled. Locals says there's been a quarantine zone established to keep out media which I don't doubt at all, look at the CNN guy. I just posted what I've gather from their social media (weixin, weibo, some personal friends from China, most of which have been deleted but there are still many supposed leak from people at the hospital and friends/relative of the "wujing" fire brigade. I can't confirm how accurate it is, but it sounds really bad and I wouldn't be surprised if half of it is at least true hence the frustration and online venting since there is no other outlet.

With that said, I really hope ur optimism proves to be true. It would be the best case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
sorry dude.

u just have to look at the map and realise there's no way 3000 people were concentrated in an industrial zone in the middle of the night.

most people were at home in their apartments already and the apartments were all far away enough that they only suffered window breaking from shock wave blast.

it's just anti china sentiment. pretty obvious.

people in the hospitals that work there would be leaking info (if there are 3000 dead, that would mean there would be at least 3000-6000+ injured, the hospitals would be super overflowing).

all the ex pats that live there would be leaking info.

and guess what, no leaks. cuz guess what. it's true. and no, dont pull a CIC on me and say "china blocked everything thats why you didnt hear anything" lol. that's so BS. have any of u guys even been to china.

they have NO REASON to hide the number of deaths. this isn't some political bullshit they can leverage. jeezus christ.

people are so fucking paranoid schizoid, deep in their own weird fantasy.

i bet you anything, the reports are correct.

they would release correct statistics, and they're going to find out who's responsible and punish them with execution or if they're lucky, throw them in prison for the rest of their life for causing mass public disruption. that's exactly what is gonna happen.

to get anywhere even close to 1000 deaths, buildings have to be knocked over, and people crushed under them. like if the buildings were RIGHT BESIDE the explosion.

this isn't some earthquake where whole city is affected and thousands die (just think about it, an earth quake of massive scale, thousands die, hundreds of square km's are affected... this is like.. what.. this is just a few square miles. and the killzone is even smaller.)

to compare this is a similar explosion:
40,000 pounds (18 metric tons, they say the tianjin one was 21-22 metric tons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rInxeNBXS3o

if u wanted to kill 3000 people, you'd have to drop that in the middle of a cluster of apartment buildings FULL of people, dude.

or the original explosion has to yield around the size of a small nuke. enough to kill the people in those apartment buildings by shock wave alone. that requires a HUGE explosion. a kiloton. 40-50x bigger explosion than what you see.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
CNN notification says another explosion heard in Tian Jin

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/15/asia/c...ons/index.html
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #55
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I do have to echo Ulic here. The estimates of up to 3000 people dead are inane, but the 84 confirmed now still seem a little low. Yes, it was night time but ports tend to run 24/7 and chances are there were more than a few people working that night even if it was just janitors and security personnel. The destroyed buildings shown in most pictures were offices, not residential... though there were dorms nearby for a construction project that were knocked down in the explosion.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #56
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
CNN notification says another explosion heard in Tian Jin

Death toll from Tianjin, China, explosions over 100 - CNN.com
what i'm seeing on tv is kinda weird. it appears like one of the remaining surviving vw beetles that did not burn in the initial explosion caught fire on it's own and the fire is spreading to the rest of the remaining surviving inventory parked next to it
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #57
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
well now that we hear china's safety standards are bullshit....i've heard when the firefighters were trying to put it out with the water it caused a chemical reaction that happens when you mix the two....No warnings about before they showed honestly wouldn't be surprised if a War broke out because of this.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #58
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
The aftermath

Appledaily news
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #59

Old 08-16-2015, 12:58 AM   #60
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Official death toll is up to 112 now, but there are still hundreds missing apparently

I also heard someone just 55m from the blast, when it happened had survived, and also not all the bodies have been cleared due to concerns of the area still being dangerous to enter

so maybe the conspiracies should be toned down for now, no?

edit: also the amount of Sodium Cyanide that is/was on site is supposedly 70 times over the allowed amount
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:31 AM   #61

Now consider that the bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki was 1000 times bigger than this one (20 kilotons vs 21 tons of TNT equivalent)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #62
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

it often takes incidents like this for a country to step up safety regulations.

people need to die to get laws changed.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #63
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
no way 3000 people from that, few hundred sounds plausible...

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #64
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
it often takes incidents like this for a country to step up safety regulations.

people need to die to get laws changed.
In North America no questions asked but in China I doubt it
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #65
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
In North America no questions asked but in China I doubt it
Weeeeeeellllllllllll, not exactly, but okay...numerous plant explosions causing deaths have occurred in NA especially in recent years, you would think that if laws/safety was constantly being improved that these things wouldn't happen as often as they do
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #66
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
so you guys think the families involved will get a pay out...or will someone get executed for not following the law?.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #67
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
so you guys think the families involved will get a pay out...or will someone get executed for not following the law?.
Reading local Chinese blogs. It seems like there will be compensation. But knowing China it's life is cheap and thus payout is cheap.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #68
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,535 Times in 1,154 Posts
more photos

Explosions shock China?s Tianjin port - The Boston Globe
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Weeeeeeellllllllllll, not exactly, but okay...numerous plant explosions causing deaths have occurred in NA especially in recent years, you would think that if laws/safety was constantly being improved that these things wouldn't happen as often as they do
Like the sawdust explosions we've had in northern BC the past decade.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #70
Witness protection

this was from facebook. may not be work safe

this was from a similar incident at a metal products factory in the Kunshan city explosion almost exactly one year ago...

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 08-17-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #71
I STILL don't get it

^ I think this video clip is from Aug 2014. Not from Tianjin.
604Sparda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #72
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604Sparda View Post
^ I think this video clip is from Aug 2014. Not from Tianjin.
you are correct... my edit did not post (see correction above)

Last edited by thumper; 08-17-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #73
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
Maybe there will be payout for the fire fighters. But for the average joes there will be next to nothing. The main reasons are life in China are cheap and if your family try to speak up they will be beaten, the news won't cover it (All news channel are state own) and very very few lawyer will even take your case (all lawyers Liscense are given or govern by the Gov.). So the Gov can easily ban or take your liscense away.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 08-17-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #74
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Maybe there will be payout for the fire fighters. But for the average joes there will be next to nothing. The main reasons are lift in China are cheap and if your family try to speak up they will be beaten, the news won't cover it (All news channel are state own) and very very few lawyer will even take your case (all lawyers Liscense are given or govern by the Gov.). So the Gov can easily ban or take your liscense away.
i only caught half the news report on tv yesterday, but it was saying not all the firefighters were permanent full time employed, so not all of them would have full benefits, if any. i am not sure if their families will get anything in compensation as a result.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 AM   #75
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Now consider that the bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki was 1000 times bigger than this one (20 kilotons vs 21 tons of TNT equivalent)
i posted that fact in my ramble.

the scary thing is fatman and littleboy are considered pathetic today.

and these aren't even the biggest bombs. lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: