REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #101
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

The VI system as its run by the officers and RCMP of the GVA is not based on road safety or even the MVA. It’s based on the goal of intimidating a group that the officers believe are a problem and see it as a way to discourage unsafe drivers, not unsafe cars. If it was actually about road safe vehicles, you would see lines of home built (and shop built) hot rods, beaters, and lifted trucks waiting for inspections and being towed, not Civics and Subaru’s pulled over to the side of the road because the officer thinks it doesn’t looks stock enough.

It’s used to intimidate and discourage both financially and physically a whole group of people that have a minority of problem members.
Advertisement
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #102
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
The VI system as its run by the officers and RCMP of the GVA is not based on road safety or even the MVA. It’s based on the goal of intimidating a group that the officers believe are a problem and see it as a way to discourage unsafe drivers, not unsafe cars. If it was actually about road safe vehicles, you would see lines of home built (and shop built) hot rods, beaters, and lifted trucks waiting for inspections and being towed, not Civics and Subaru’s pulled over to the side of the road because the officer thinks it doesn’t looks stock enough.

It’s used to intimidate and discourage both financially and physically a whole group of people that have a minority of problem members.
Only part i'm going to comment on is the fact that it's not only the "subaru's and civics" of the world. Lifted trucks get the same sort of shit. Don't start spewing misinformation just because all you've ever had is a rice rocket.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Only part i'm going to comment on is the fact that it's not only the "subaru's and civics" of the world. Lifted trucks get the same sort of shit. Don't start spewing misinformation just because all you've ever had is a rice rocket.
Had a few trucks growing up, all were piles of crap unfortunately.

I don't see the lifted trucks out here pulled over remotely as often as I see a modified import or Euro car, but you seem like your feelings got hurt so I imagine it must happen. As a note, I've never had a VI.

However many of the lifted trucks I see in this area I don’t think are actually legal, most have tires that go past the fenders, improperly aimed headlights, etc.

If trucks are getting pulled over without actual issues and officers are saying "doesn't look stock, VI" then I would group them into the statement I said before. If they are being pulled over for actual infractions that’s different.

I would also imagine it has to do with area your in, and what the groups the police in those areas feel are a problem. I just bought a house in an area were more off road vehicles are present, so maybe I will see it more now?

I stand by its being used as a tool against groups of drivers and not as a means to remove unsafe vehicles from the road in most cases.

Last edited by 91civicZC; 08-19-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: because I forgot an H.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:

So it is possible for someone who's been a member of RS for over 10 years to still be a noob. Awesome.

Quote:
I stand by its being used as a tool against groups of drivers and not as a means to remove unsafe vehicles from the road in most cases.
How in your mind does this make any fucking sense? When you get a VI it doesn't even go on your DL, the car gets towed away but you could easily just hop in another vehicle and go out driving. So no, this statement is wildly inaccurate because all it does is take the car off the road, and it does nothing to affect the driver.

I love how it's someone who has never had a VI coming on here and spewing crap about how unfair the system is. Call us when you have actually had some sort of issue with the law before getting all butthurt about it. Until then your just making a big stink for no reason. Just like all those mothers who scream "WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN" about absolutely everything from pipelines, to speed limits.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 08-19-2015 at 09:45 AM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #105
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Lifted trucks are another one of those things that probably half of them technically shouldn't be on the road, though - illegal or uncovered lighting, illegal height, lack of mudflaps, lack of fenders... A lift 4" or more over stock height isn't illegal in itself, but IS supposed to be inspected; how many of those do you think actually have been?

But yeah, especially this summer, I've been hearing about more and more of them being stopped... maybe not so much getting VIs (or maybe those drivers just don't whine about it as much as your average ricer), but at least getting checked out. Chilliwack in particular has been running a safety blitz all summer and cracking down on illegal mods on 4x4s. I know one guy said a cop pointed out his light bar (mounted between the sides of his stinger), so he just spun it around so it was facing the grill... cop chuckled and let him go on his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC
...not Civics and Subaru’s pulled over to the side of the road because the officer thinks it doesn’t looks stock enough.
Or here's a thought: most of them draw extra attention to themselves with their fartcan exhausts and drivers revving up to impress chicks or whatever.

Jeeps running around without doors is illegal as well (except old CJs), but a lot of guys have been doing it for years without being hassled, because they aren't loud and don't do stupid shit to draw attention to themselves.

Buddy of mine was once pulled over after he gunned his ricer Integra away from a light... cop was going the other way, turned around and wrote him up for speeding (which he was), and even told him, "if I hadn't HEARD you, I probably wouldn't have even noticed you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #106

Quote:
I don't see the lifted trucks out here pulled over remotely as often as I see a modified import or Euro car...
Frequency illusion - RationalWiki
Quote:
Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

So it is possible for someone who's been a member of RS for over 10 years to still be a noob. Awesome.

How in your mind does this make any fucking sense? When you get a VI it doesn't even go on your DL, the car gets towed away but you could easily just hop in another vehicle and go out driving. So no, this statement is wildly inaccurate because all it does is take the car off the road, and it does nothing to affect the driver.
“but you could easily just hop in another vehicle and go out driving”. I think your missing my point completely. I’m sure you’ll continue to, but let me try and explain.

I say this is targeting a group the police perceive as a problem. Modified imports and Euros, so probably a younger crowd for the most part. Many of these people will not have another car to go jump in and drive, but let’s say they do. That’s not taking into account the dollar value of the wasted time they spend getting the car checked.

This will mean many people driving these cars will A: stay out of specific areas (I know I do) when driving specific cars, B possibly stop modifying vehicles.

If they stop being in that area, that’s a win for police as they are regarded as a problem, regardless of the reality.

In general modified compacts are looked as driven by people who are a perceived as a problem in the public eye. Often associated with street racing and such, again regardless of the reality. Less and less of these on the road, regardless of the actual safety of the vehicle give s a visual win for the police in the public's eye.

Last edited by 91civicZC; 08-19-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #108
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Had a few trucks growing up, all were piles of crap unfortunately.

I don't see the lifted trucks out here pulled over remotely as often as I see a modified import or Euro car, but you seem like your feelings got hurt so I imagine it must happen. As a note, I've never had a VI.

However many of the lifted trucks I see in this area I don’t think are actually legal, most have tires that go past the fenders, improperly aimed headlights, etc.

If trucks are getting pulled over without actual issues and officers are saying "doesn't look stock, VI" then I would group them into the statement I said before. If they are being pulled over for actual infractions that’s different.

I would also imagine it has to do with area your in, and what the groups the police in those areas feel are a problem. I just bought a house in an area were more off road vehicles are present, so maybe I will see it more now?

You don't see trucks getting pulled over and VI'd because you are in the wrong locations. Normally this happens at the trail heads of Stave lake, Harrison, Sylvester road etc. Trust me it happens all the time and I have had it happen to most of my buddies.

Just stop talking because you don't have a clue what you are talking about at all.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Which I already addressed above. I admit, where I am I don’t see many lifted trucks pulled over, although I do see many lifted vehicles. Maybe that will change at my new place. However of many of the lifted trucks I do see, many have mods like tire fitment issues and such that I would expect them to be pulled over for.

I did grow up in the Okanagan valley and have some experience with lifted vehicles, with many friends owning them. I was never once pulled over in one. However, different time and different area.

While I understand the point being made “because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen”, having spent a good portion of my adult working life working in the automotive industry, I believe in this area and in others I have lived like California, VI’s are used as tool against groups of drivers and not cars.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
You don't see trucks getting pulled over and VI'd because you are in the wrong locations. Normally this happens at the trail heads of Stave lake, Harrison, Sylvester road etc. Trust me it happens all the time and I have had it happen to most of my buddies.

Just stop talking because you don't have a clue what you are talking about at all.
Meh, I stand by what the statement, I don’t need to be agreed with all the time.

Honestly I’m actually surprised by the response. While i understand the lifted crowd being upset at the comment, it wasn’t really the focus of my argument which I have stated a few times, that VIs are used as a tool for specific groups of drivers not the actual safety of the car.

So maybe put it this way, when going up to a trail, and the police are pulling people over in lifted vehicles, are they pulling over vehicles that have obvious infractions, or are they pulling over everyone and just telling them to get VIs?

If its everyone going up the trail in anything modified, do you not think that the police could be targeting that group in that area, not for the safety of the vehicles but for the perceived (real or not) issues that group of drivers cause? Unsafe driving habits, garbage left at remote locations etc?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #111

Quote:
In general modified compacts are looked as driven by people who are a perceived as a problem in the public eye. Often associated with street racing and such, again regardless of the reality. Less and less of these on the road, regardless of the actual safety of the vehicle give s a visual win for the police in the public's eye.
I see what you are getting at; however, your method of explaining it definitely needed some work.

I am just gonna go ahead and guess you are talking about the thursday night meets, or a similar scenario to that. Where police came into an area to try and disperse a gathering of ricers and enthusiasts.

You are absolutely correct that in that instance the police are using VI's to stop people from gathering there. But you have to look and understand why they are doing that. It's for exactly the reason Soundy and Murdoc are saying, because a bunch of limp dicked morons started revving, and doing burnouts or leaving the parking lot at mach speed. The people who wanted these meets to continue tried to get a handle on it, all you have to do is go back and look at the meet page and see how much different groups tried to stop people from acting like idiots. Unfortunately nothing worked, and eventually the police decided enough is enough, and they came in week after week handing out VI's to people.

So yes in that specific type of instance they used VI's to try and end the situation. Truth is though that most of the people who got them deserved them anyway, not running a front plate, tinted lights, loud exhaust, etc. Those are all valid VI's.

Either way to generalize the VI's as completely invalid just because of how they are being used by one particular police department is completely incorrect.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I see what you are getting at; however, your method of explaining it definitely needed some work.

I am just gonna go ahead and guess you are talking about the thursday night meets, or a similar scenario to that. Where police came into an area to try and disperse a gathering of ricers and enthusiasts.

You are absolutely correct that in that instance the police are using VI's to stop people from gathering there. But you have to look and understand why they are doing that. It's for exactly the reason Soundy and Murdoc are saying, because a bunch of limp dicked morons started revving, and doing burnouts or leaving the parking lot at mach speed. The people who wanted these meets to continue tried to get a handle on it, all you have to do is go back and look at the meet page and see how much different groups tried to stop people from acting like idiots. Unfortunately nothing worked, and eventually the police decided enough is enough, and they came in week after week handing out VI's to people.

So yes in that specific type of instance they used VI's to try and end the situation. Truth is though that most of the people who got them deserved them anyway, not running a front plate, tinted lights, loud exhaust, etc. Those are all valid VI's.

Either way to generalize the VI's as completely invalid just because of how they are being used by one particular police department is completely incorrect.
So let me clear, I’m not saying all VIs aren’t legit, not by a long shot. While I have my personal issues and reservations with police I’m not going around shouting “cops are dicks yo!”. There are some great officers out there.

What I am trying to point out is that there are groups of car enthusiasts that are perceived as a problem, correct or not. I’m using younger (18-25 lets say) male drivers as an example because they are the most obvious. The argument could be made that yes many of them ARE problem drivers.

However I believe that in many cases the police are issuing VIs to these groups of drivers not on the basis of the actual modifications of the car and its safety or legality in many cases, but as a deterrent for stupid driving OR perceived stupid/dangerous driving unrelated to the car itself.

So using the lifted truck guy argument: Young guys, lifted trucks go to up to one of the lakes. Leave a bunch of crap behind. People complain. The next week more lifted vehicles go up and the cops give out a bunch of VIs, some for visible infractions, some because the vehicle doesn’t look stock and they are with that group.

The ones who had actual infractions deserve the VI, legit. The ones who came up and trashed the area the week before but drive the legal vehicle deserve the VI, but it’s not legit. It’s being used as a deterrent for that group because of something completely unrelated to the vehicle or safety.

Some people will get the VI that didn’t deserve it having done nothing wrong, have no actual infractions, but are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Side note, I'm not actually talking about Thursday night as I haven't been in a year or so, although I would expect there are examples of both sides of this there.

Last edited by 91civicZC; 08-19-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: don't know 1 from 2.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #113

Quote:
I’m using younger (18-15 lets say) male drivers as an example ...

Quote:
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

LOL

That should say 25.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #115
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
If you don't want a VI, don't drive a "modded" car, plain and simple.

Modding your car draws attention to the car, both positive (people giving you thumbs-up, people taking photos of your car, picking up hot women (okay I made up the last one but you get my point)) and negative (police attention due to ride height, wheels, loud exhaust, etc.).

Take it like a man or woman and move on.

If you don't want attention, drive a stock car like I do. Personally I have never received a ticket or even been pulled over in my stock Integra though it is probably quite a fair amount faster than my AE86...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #116
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
If you don't want attention, drive a stock car like I do.
No offence, but if I'm ever stuck driving a stock 1996 Integra, then I have made some very bad life decisions.

Once again, all of my vehicles are modified in some way. But they're not gaudy or illegal mods. For example, my truck is lifted with big tires. So instead of running the risk of getting pulled over I added mudflaps and fender flares. Problem solved in the eyes of the law.

Be smart with your mods. If you're driving this

You can expect that you'll be meeting a cop soon.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #117
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Would you be the same Jamie Reddick trying to rationalize learning car control by practicing on "empty" streets way back when in the comments on this article? Lol

Chilliwack RCMP ticket young street racers and impound their vehicles - Chilliwack Times

If so, and that's your white Jetta with the gold wheels on your profile, it's pretty obvious why you got a VI... You've got absolutely no wheel gap and your wheels+tires protrude outside of the fender housings. I'm no rocket scientist but that's pretty textbook VI material.
Actually I suspect that Jamie Reddick also got his 240sx impounded in that same article, also taken from his facebook with the title

"Having some fun in the coupe"

Interesting considering the article you posted is about drifting in 240sx's

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #118
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
No offence, but if I'm ever stuck driving a stock 1996 Integra, then I have made some very bad life decisions.

Ouch. I was only trying to make the point to the OP that stock cars rarely ever get VI's, whether or not the mods are in fact "illegal" is a non-issue. My point was that modified cars will always attract more attention than the same model of car that is stock or mostly stock. If you don't want police attention, follow the rules of the road and drive a stock car. Seems to work fine for 95% of people on the road.

No need to hate on my car or my financial situation as if I somehow personally attacked you. You know nothing about my "life decisions" (working student driving a beater car in order to pay for tuition) or my current situation so as far as I'm concerned you can bugger off.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #119
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
If you're not seeing lifted trucks pulled over, you're not going into Maple Ridge enough I saw 2 pulled over on my way back from Chilliwack this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
If you're not seeing lifted trucks pulled over, you're not going into Maple Ridge enough I saw 2 pulled over on my way back from Chilliwack this morning.
Ill be spending a a lot more time there, Ill start keeping notes
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #121
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
This is right outside my place of work.

I call the police on these donkies weekly.
If they are there after hours when nobody is around and they aren't hurting anything you should leave them alone. Nobody likes a rat...
lancer.evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #122
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
No need to hate on my car or my financial situation as if I somehow personally attacked you. You know nothing about my "life decisions" (working student driving a beater car in order to pay for tuition) or my current situation so as far as I'm concerned you can bugger off.
The op is a kid. He doesn't know any better.
Yet you rubbed his face in it. He's no different than we were at that age. So to tell him to basically give up modding cars is irresponsible at best.

I apologize for going for the jugular there. It was hot in the office, and I had as playoff game tonight, so maybe I wasn't being a very good human. But at the end of the day, you could have been a bit more supportive of the kid. We all love cars. Let's spread that, rather than push people away from the scene.

I owe you some thanks.

But in the meantime, went the hell did inaii both thank, and fail me?

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #123
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer.evo View Post
If they are there after hours when nobody is around and they aren't hurting anything you should leave them alone. Nobody likes a rat...
Clearly people are around when you "drifting". If there are businesses near by the visual appeal of the area is ruined by loads of skid marks from people drifting.
Take it to the track.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #124
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Aaah, the age of linking everything to Facebook and leaving it all open to the public.

If this is how your car currently looks:

...then, yes, the VI was justified completely. Also, your headlight housings are tinted. True, not the reflector portion, but I believe it's still illegal to modify them.
If this is how you roll in Alberta to avoid moose and survive shitty roads your delusional. Or your stupid.

you need something more along the lines of this. You'll still get a VI thi for no light covers lol.
Team Trauma Rally Racing

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More

We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
If this is how you roll in Alberta to avoid moose and survive shitty roads your delusional. Or your stupid.

you need something more along the lines of this. You'll still get a VI thi for no light covers lol.
Team Trauma Rally Racing
Chances are at 110km/h your not going to be avoiding shit. So in reality you need something like this:

There's a reason why such a vast majority of the vehicles up north are pickups, some of that may have to do with all the small dicked people making 100k a year with nothing else to spend it on beside trucks, hookers and blow.

But the other big reason is the fact that #1 - You need it to get around in the winter. #2 - That unfortunate encounter with a deer is a lot less likely to end up with you dead.

This post thanked by: