REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Vehicle inspections being issued in Surrey, BC by Cst. SIDHU (#151704)

Hello, the reason of this post is because I have reason to believe that a member of the RCMP based out of Surrey, BC is wrongfully discriminating against vehicles with various levels of modifications. This is due to the fact that myself and two other people that a friend knows have all gotten a VI from this officer in question and there was nothing visibly wrong with my vehicle. It does however have visual modifications done to it. The other vehicle in question was a 2010 Lexus with visual modifications. The reason the police offbeat said he was issuing me a VI is because he said the tires have the potential to rub on my fender liners even though I cut my fender liners out on the top of them.

I currently work in northern Alberta but go home to the lower mainland on days off which is a 15 on 6 off schedule. The vehicle I use to commute to and from Grande Prairie, AB is a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. I have upgraded the brakes, tires/wheels, and suspension partly because I am a car enthusiast but also due to the fact that there is lots of wildlife on the roads up north and because the roads themselves are kept in very poor condition. Having a vehicle that can maneuver around or brake in time for an 800 pound moose that walks out in front of you or a massive pothole is paramount to my safety and other road users safety. My car is kept exceptionally clean for its age cosmetically and mechanically and has no visual defects even though it has 300,000 km on it compared to an average 2001 Jetta.

I will be filing a complaint with the RCMP public complaints division in Surrey, BC on September 24, 2015. I would like to do some research to see if any of the revscene users on this forum or anyone you guys might know have had a vehicle inspection notice issued by Cst. SIDHU (#151704) from Surrey. I would like you to please contact me or post on the thread if you or someone you know that has a modified car have gotten pulled over and a box 1, 2, or 3 VI notice written out by this officer. I would like to stress that if you have gotten a VI when something is clearly visible to the police officer as you were driving down the road (headlight out, exhaust dragging, clearly visible bent wheel, busted tail light, etc.) then something like this an RCMP officer has full rights to issue you a VI. What I believe this RCMP officer is doing is seeing a modified vehicle that has aftermarket wheels/tires, coilovers, brake kits, etc. which is not illegal to install and due to the fact that it is visibly modified, issuing a VI.

The purpose of a vehicle inspection notice is to make sure a vehicle is mechanically safe and structurally sound. At a vehicle inspection checkpoint if vehicles roll through that have clearly unsafe issues that can be seen (see above) or vehicles getting selected at random being issued VI's that's one thing but to single out modified vehicles (*UP*graded and seldomly downgraded) falls into the category of discrimination.

In conclusion, I would like to find out if this officer is in fact doing this by the users in this forum helping me out and if so I will be going public to the media with my story as well as requesting an audit be done on the officer in question in regards to this matter to see if discriminative behaviour is the case.

Thank you for your time, happy motoring, and good luck with your builds/projects.
Advertisement

Last edited by lancer.evo; 08-30-2015 at 01:41 AM.
lancer.evo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

How about you tell us what you got a VI for?
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Not a mod

So did you want us to proof read your statement before you read it to a judge?
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
That number probably isn't correct, a police officers reg# is 5 digits not 6
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Performance Moderator

Would you be the same Jamie Reddick trying to rationalize learning car control by practicing on "empty" streets way back when in the comments on this article? Lol

Chilliwack RCMP ticket young street racers and impound their vehicles - Chilliwack Times

If so, and that's your white Jetta with the gold wheels on your profile, it's pretty obvious why you got a VI... You've got absolutely no wheel gap and your wheels+tires protrude outside of the fender housings. I'm no rocket scientist but that's pretty textbook VI material.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer.evo View Post
What I believe this RCMP officer is doing is seeing a modified vehicle that has aftermarket wheels/tires, coilovers, brake kits, etc. which is not illegal to install and due to the fact that it is visibly modified, issuing a VI.
I'm not going to blast a cop for doing his/her job without saying a couple of quick things here:

1) Do you have any up to date photos of the car in question? I'm curious to see if there's anything we can spot that would have attracted a VI ticket. Loud exhaust? Front tint (legal in Alberta, not legal in BC)? Smoked lights or reflector plates taken out? Frame lower than the bottom of your rims? Weird rear camber?

2) Broadly speaking, most upgrades are legal. However, there are many wheels, suspension bits, brake kits, etc., that technically aren't legal and are deemed to be "off-road only." Though unlikely, you could have gotten unlucky and came across an officer that knows what brands are DOT/E-Code approved and which ones aren't. Or, it's also possible that you were simply singled out because the car was modified and the officer is trying out the pray and spray method.

Would really like to see a picture of the car and what the VI was for.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
were you the guy driving air bagg'd to the ground with sparks flying down the road because you welded a piece of steel on your cars rear end... then quickly pulled over to the side,lifted up and said nothing was wrong.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Would you be the same Jamie Reddick trying to rationalize learning car control by practicing on "empty" streets way back when in the comments on this article? Lol

Chilliwack RCMP ticket young street racers and impound their vehicles - Chilliwack Times

If so, and that's your white Jetta with the gold wheels on your profile, it's pretty obvious why you got a VI... You've got absolutely no wheel gap whatsoever and the wheels protrude outside of the fender housings. I'm no rocket scientist but that's pretty textbook VI material.
Aaah, the age of linking everything to Facebook and leaving it all open to the public.

If this is how your car currently looks:

...then, yes, the VI was justified completely. Also, your headlight housings are tinted. True, not the reflector portion, but I believe it's still illegal to modify them.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Tinted taillights would be bad idea. Somebody on this forum said that ICBC can deny your claim if you get rear ended.

Having said that, I do think cops like to target nicely modified cars. If they are actually concerned about road safety, they should be pulling over beaters. Yes, I am being absolutely serious. Go drive one if you haven't.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Performance Moderator

^Flaw of that argument is how do you know they don't pull them over? You're just making an assumption.

I've got a lowered car with custom rims and other mods too... I mad sure I left a 2 finger gap... but I wouldn't be surprised if I get pulled one day. Gotta pay to play chumpskies!
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Revscene wins again.

I wish i could put money on rs on a weekly basis, i'd have a nice car by now.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
^Flaw of that argument is how do you know they don't pull them over? You're just making an assumption.

I've got a lowered car with custom rims and other mods too... But I left a 2 finger gap... And wouldn't be surprised if I get pulled one day. Gotta pay to play chumpskies!
No I'm not.
Try go through a road block with these 2 cars.
Although I've only seen few scenarios, I can tell you that car #2 will most likely get harassed by police.

Cops are human too, if you have a nice car, they will make an assumption that you're street racer.
If you drive a beater, you can't go fast = safe driver.

Car #1
rust
poorly maintained engine
brakes metal to metal
burning oil
bold tires
off alignment
does not drive straight
needs overhaul

Car #2
upgraded brakes
upgraded exhaust, engine
very well maintained, babied in garage
no problem whatsoever
runs straight
does not burn oil
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #14
Performance Moderator

You're still making assumptions unless you interview everyone who drives a beater and ask them if they ever got harassed.

Most cops aren't car guys, they're only going to notice people who are trying to be noticed. Mission accomplished? I don't even know what you're arguing about, the laws are black and white and it's a choice whether you follow them or not. I choose not to follow them all (ie: speeding and some borderline mods) and accept the risk that comes with it. Man up and take responsibility for your actions instead of crying like a 4th grader about unfair treatment and how come Bobby Nomoney with the rusty Corolla also didn't get the same booboo from mean old officer hatesmods

Maybe there should be stricter enforcement zero tolerance policies all around and every car should get immediately impounded for any infractions and roadside inspections should be administered to make it fair for everyone. Is that what you want? Doubt it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I disagree. Locally I'd say most cops ARE car guys (or fellow riders)
Old 08-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Your jetta is pretty clean, I think constable sidhu is a car enthusiast himself to spot all the VI items on your car.

Cops just don't write VI for fun unless you provoke them.... which judging from your facebook rants you probably did.

Also the argument that you need mods to dodge a moose... really now
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2015, 12:10 AM   #17

Quote:
You're still making assumptions unless you interview everyone who drives a beater and ask them if they ever got harassed.

Most cops aren't car guys, they're only going to notice people who are trying to be noticed. Mission accomplished? I don't even know what you're arguing about, the laws are black and white and it's a choice whether you follow them or not. I choose not to follow them all (ie: speeding and some borderline mods) and accept the risk that comes with it. Man up and take responsibility for your actions instead of crying like a 4th grader about unfair treatment and how come Bobby Nomoney with the rusty Corolla also didn't get the same booboo from mean old officer hatesmods

Maybe there should be stricter enforcement zero tolerance policies all around and every car should get immediately impounded for any infractions and roadside inspections should be administered to make it fair for everyone. Is that what you want? Doubt it.
It's not just you, but I am kind of getting sick of this Revscene trend whenever people ask for advice, you guys all walk all over him and say "You broke the law, man up and pay up" kind of thing as if you guys are angles who have never made mistakes or broke the law.
(Although in this case, you did admit that you took a chance for speeding and stuff)

Law is black and white, yea sure, it can be. However it's not that simple.
Is killing a person against the law? Yes, however it's all case by case. That's why we have judge, lawyer, and have all the legal system to find out what exactly happened because exceptions can be made. Sometimes people who killed someone can be judged innocent depending on circumstances.

Speeding is illegal, so cops can virtually pull over 100% of drivers on the road and give out speeding tickets.
However last time I got a speeding ticket, I think I was going something like 77km/h, but the cop straight up told me that "I found that average speed of this road to be 65km/h or so, so that was faster than the traffic flow, but I will give you a break and give you $138 instead of $196 ticket" which I didn't argue about.

Some cops do make everything black and white, will pull you over as soon as you go over 50km/h, but some cops are quite reasonable too.

You think we need stricter regulation for this?
So if you see someone with anything that's not stock, you get a VI?
15km/h over the speed limit, immediate impound and $1,000 fine?

If you look at the stats, the most dangerous behavior on the road is DUI, followed by texting, lack of experience, distractions, bad physical condition, etc. Street Racing is dangerous but the overall death number is low because we have sooo much more DUI drivers than Street Racers on the road.
OP had coilovers and aftermarket rims, that mod looks kind of subtle to me and if he had a question about it, he can just post here like he did.
If he wants to file a complaint to RCMP, he has a right to do so.

I'm not trying to justify illegal behavior, if he broke the law, well I guess technically speaking the VI is justified. Even with burnt light bulb.
But I am just getting sick of this Revscene trend every time when people ask something, we all go like "you broke the law and man up" like if we were judge/cops ourselves.
I do get what you're saying though. Unfair treatment by the police? Sure, it does happen. But the world is unfair and some people need to grow up too.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-16-2015, 12:41 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Spoiler!
This post gave me cancer. I don't think I've ever read a post where someone contradicted themselves so much within one single post

Quote:
I am kind of getting sick of this Revscene trend whenever people ask for advice, you guys all walk all over him and say "You broke the law, man up and pay up" kind of thing as if you guys are angles who have never made mistakes or broke the law.
Quote:
(Although in this case, you did admit that you took a chance for speeding and stuff)
Quote:
Speeding is illegal, so cops can virtually pull over 100% of drivers on the road and give out speeding tickets.
Quote:
However last time I got a speeding ticket, I think I was going something like 77km/h, but the cop straight up told me that "I found that average speed of this road to be 65km/h or so, so that was faster than the traffic flow, but I will give you a break and give you $138 instead of $196 ticket" which I didn't argue about.
Quote:
I'm not trying to justify illegal behavior
Quote:
if he broke the law, well I guess technically speaking the VI is justified
Quote:
Unfair treatment by the police? Sure, it does happen.
Quote:
But the world is unfair and some people need to grow up too.
In fear of being bashed by RS, Timpo, initially trying to defend OP by calling out RS for being mean and that the police can be unfair, concludes his post by saying OP should grow up.

Typical Timpost.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2015, 12:53 AM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
All of the vehicles you are referring to are all slammed beyond the legal allowance. Not to mention they all have wheels that do not fit correctly and leave a very small portion of there tread in contact with the pavement.

Your wasting your time. If you don't want tickets then don't slam the car or stance it out or ride on bags. I have seen and know all 3 peoples cars your referring to and it was only a matter of time before you guys got hit with VI's.

Perhaps a better solution is to in fact READ these laws you guys think your not breaking. Build your argument off of fact and not "he pulled me and 2 of my friends over and I dont like that"....sadly you will find out that many modifications performed to cars on here are illegal and not allowed.

Your VW does not meet the regulations for lighting seeing as you have tinted lenses/housings and non-DOT/SAE/TUV approved lighting on the vehicle.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #20

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts

Lexus

Bagged Civic

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2015, 06:07 AM   #21
Performance Moderator

It's 7am and I've already had my daily dose of hypocrisy.... Timpo of all people ranting about other people posting in annoying themes... Wow
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #22
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Best first post in a long time
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post

Lexus

Bagged Civic
Seriously wondered what took that Lexus so long to get a VI. I used to see this guy on my way home from work for the past 3 years and his ride height has never changed.
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #24
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I've had so many cars pulled off the road in the last 23 years that you begin to learn what you can and can't get away with.

Cowboy cops have always been a problem in our scene. Does anyone remember that asshole "white knight"?

He would come to meets and check out our cars up close. A week later you would get pulled over by him in Richmond and he would know every detail of your car. Mainly because you had bragged about Your new "moar low!" The week before.

I feel for you guys, but it's the same thing we used to deal with. The only thing that has changed is the names.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #25

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:

If so, and that's your white Jetta with the gold wheels on your profile, it's pretty obvious why you got a VI... You've got absolutely no wheel gap and your wheels+tires protrude outside of the fender housings. I'm no rocket scientist but that's pretty textbook VI material.
This is right outside my place of work.

I call the police on these donkies weekly.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote