REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Guy driving a geo metro. Using a string and tape to flip up his plates . Poor guy is probably trying to get to work, he's obviously not well off by any means just trying to make living and save a buck where he can. This shit is fucked.
Holy fuck this mentality pisses me off so much...it's the reason why we have so many inbred morons waiting in line to take advantage of the system at every turn. Oh, poor him in his little metro. Poor guy was just doing this. Boo fucking hoo.

So somehow he's a victim now? The lazy fuck who kept using the same stupid method and got caught? Now they're taking away his $500 beater as punishment? Let me just find the world's smallest violin and see if i can stir some sort of inkling to even begin to feel bad for this guy.
The number of bleeding hearts here hurts.

This is abusing forfeiture laws
Judge scolds B.C. Civil Forfeiture Office in ?frivolous? case - The Globe and Mail

The moron in the metro had it coming. The more bleeding hearts I see here, the more I'm glad they're squashing asshats like these.
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Guy driving a geo metro. Using a string and tape to flip up his plates . Poor guy is probably trying to get to work, he's obviously not well off by any means just trying to make living and save a buck where he can. This shit is fucked.
we has human beings may feel those well-endowed financially 'deserve it more' when they caught cheating the system...but I don't believe the law takes into account someone's socioecnomic status when they're being charged.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Guy cheated, then got caught. CF on a car that's probably worth less then the fines he owes. Douche doing douche(yet creative) shit and gets busted. Perfect guy for the GOV to make an example of since the car ain't worth shit. If it was a $20K car they were seizing then we'd be up in arms.

Is that why peeps in here are upset? CF on a vehicle for fraudulent activities? Should there be another way?
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the Civil Forfeiture Act is sketchy as shit. It operates behind shadows and is being a bitch about releasing employee names which says a lot on its own.

Here's the Act if anyone is interested in some quality TGIF reading:
Civil Forfeiture Act

The reality is that it exists now. Dumbass got crucified for it but you can't exactly sit here and say he didn't have it coming. Sure, the issue goes far beyond that. But within that issue itself (ie. getting his Metro conceded), I have no problem with how the Act was administered. Like flip said, the government hates being stolen from.

I don't like the CF Act. I don't like how it's worded, how its used and how its so well protected behind government shadows and policies. But this story just doesn't do it for me.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
why dont they apply it to drunk driving and excessive speeding then?

the punishment doesnt suit the crime imo
Well they actually do.

Taking it away for drunk driving doesn't piss me off as much, as those people are endangering others.

But this guy wasn't endangering anyone, and therefore yes the punishment definitely doesn't suit the crime.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #31
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I don't have a problem with the guy getting fined and everything, but I do take issue with Civil Forfeiture being used in this case.
When it was first proposed, it was to be used as a tool against the big gang war problems that were going on, many people said this was a slippery slope, but the RCMP played to the publics immediate fears and the general public went along with it. Here we are years later and the RCMP/government are completely abusing this power, which is exactly the fear that a lot of people had at the time of induction. This just goes to show you can't give carte blanche to the higher ups and assume they won't abuse that power for something else down the road.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #32

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Drunk driving and excessive speeding fall under the CF category as well. Remember Mt. Seymour Parkway with the Ferrari and some other car? They were sold off by police at auction I believe.

A hefty fine plus repayment or perhaps a criminal charge then? I mean, it IS fraud. And that shit IS illegal.

LOL at people treating this guy as a victim. WTF? Yeah yeah, the GOV steals our money, yada, yada. Cry me a river. This dude tried to beat the system and got caught. Now the system is going to fuck him. Really not seeing an issue here :shrug:

It's like getting pulled over doing 100kph in a 60kph zone and the driver gets all up in arms about the punishment. Fuck man, you were doing 40kph over the limit and now the law is doing it's job. Don't want to do the time, don't do the fucking crime.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #33
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

To me CF is absolutely pure fucking bullshit
i paid for it who the hell does the government think they are taking away ones property?
a grow up, illegal goods/drugs guns getting seize makes a lot of sense

Doing 140km 160km on the hwy at 4 am does not quality getting CF up ur ass.
A hefty fine? sure, towing away ones car is pure bs

U do NOT see this such BS getting implanted in the States.

the result of it is that cops are constantly trying to threaten and power trip using this power they have, lets face it we all seen the pigs turning on their cherry running red light or do illegal U turn than turn it off as soon as they finish crossing. Prime example

Why does a person deserves to get theiri vehicle sold when he was speeding? slap him a hefty fine and be done with it, u wonna give him points while u are at it? sure

but this whole civil forfeiture is seriously completely bullshit, whoever thinks its the rightful things to do u better get ur head checked. Clearly u been brain washed by the government

in this case, last time i check fraud is a criminal act. And usually fraud gets slapped with a fine and pay back watever he scammed. NOt sell off his car, might as well as sell his girlfriend while they are at it
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG View Post
U do NOT see this such BS getting implanted in the States.

http://jalopnik.com/5371967/feds-sei...-gt-rs-in-cali
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #35
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If civil forfeiture was about taking something that could be proven to be purchased with funds that were a direct result of criminal activity proven in court, I’d probably be okay with it. Bought a new boat with the proceeds of crime? Sure, take it. But as the law stands, it’s pretty scary.

From the act:

"The Civil Forfeiture Act and Regulation allows the Director of Civil Forfeiture to initiate civil court proceedings against property believed to be the instruments or proceeds of unlawful activity."

That's way too vague. Basically anything then used in any type of unlawful activity could be taken away from you. The car going across the bridge is an excellent example of how this is going way too far in my opinion. The way this is worded, your car could be taken away for speeding.

These proceedings are not commenced in court, they are an administrative process. Whether proceedings are initiated in court or administratively, they are not reliant on criminal charges or convictions arising from the alleged unlawful activity.

That's really scary. I'm not sure I understand this portion correctly, but I believe it means that the taking of property is a process outside the court. The person would have to start court proceedings themselves to try and stop it.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #36
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Just having the guy pay all the tolls he skipped wouldn't be much of a deterrent. That just means that he is at exactly the same place as he would be if he just paid in the first place. So if he never got caught, he would be way ahead.

That would be like a parking ticket being $6. Then no one would ever pay for parking.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
From the act:

"The Civil Forfeiture Act and Regulation allows the Director of Civil Forfeiture to initiate civil court proceedings against property believed to be the instruments or proceeds of unlawful activity."

That's way too vague. Basically anything then used in any type of unlawful activity could be taken away from you. The car going across the bridge is an excellent example of how this is going way too far in my opinion. The way this is worded, your car could be taken away for speeding.
I think the problem is that because it's a car and the guy was caught while driving it, people are thinking this could apply to any vehicle. But this guy isn't being charged under the MVA, he's being charged with fraud, and he used his vehicle to commit said fraud.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I think the problem is that because it's a car and the guy was caught while driving it, people are thinking this could apply to any vehicle. But this guy isn't being charged under the MVA, he's being charged with fraud, and he used his vehicle to commit said fraud.
I think “he deserves it” and “this works in the bigger picture” are two different things here.

Dude broke the law and is scamming the system while the rest of us pay. That’s bullshit and annoys the hell out of me. He deserves some kind punishment.

But to me this illustrates that the forfeiture law has too great of reach. I had never read the act until now, and the wording to me is pretty scary in how unfocused it is.

I also agree the guy should receive a pretty serious punishment, as he went well out of his way to avoid paying what the rest of have to, but I still don’t believe that big brother stepping in to take away property is the correct way to do it.

Big fines, community service, even garnishing wages if someone cannot pay all seem legit to me as they would be done through the a court proceeding.

If it’s the direct proceeds of crime then I understand it, if its simply related to an offence (or they think it is) I don't think it should give them the right to size and sell it through an administrative process.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #39
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
would peoples opinions be different if he were driving a chromed out lambo?
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #40

Quote:
If it’s the direct proceeds of crime then I understand it, if its simply related to an offence (or they think it is) I don't think it should give them the right to size and sell it through an administrative process.
sure not direct proceeds but I can probably guess that his crime probably saved him enough to buy himself another Geo Metro or three.

Garnishing wages, are there any laws that allow for that in Canada?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
sure not direct proceeds but I can probably guess that his crime probably saved him enough to buy himself another Geo Metro or three.

Garnishing wages, are there any laws that allow for that in Canada?
I assumed there was, but maybe not?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #42
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
would peoples opinions be different if he were driving a chromed out lambo?
Yeah, If a guy in a lambo did it, WTF is he stealing from the rest of us for? But taking it away would be even more ridiculous.

Quote:
I assumed there was, but maybe not?
I think wages can be garnished by family law, and bankrupcy. I don't know if there are any others.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #43

Just get an Alberta plate. They do not provide TReO with access to personal information so they can't be billed.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #44

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
why dont they apply it to drunk driving and excessive speeding then?
They've threatened to - people got all pissed about that too.

Stupid thing with all this self-righteous whingeing is that it hasn't actually happened yet. The gov't had applied for it... courts haven't approved it and probably won't. But even the THREAT of it is, as SP says, a strong deterrent.

Anyway, the point of this isn't the big tolls that aren't being paid, it's that the guy is intentionally defrauding the system to avoid them.

There's also the fact that he might never have been caught if he didn't do it RIGHT IN FRONT OF A COP. I'd vote for CF just because the guy is stupid as fuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #45
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Yeah, If a guy in a lambo did it, WTF is he stealing from the rest of us for? But taking it away would be even more ridiculous.

I think wages can be garnished by family law, and bankrupcy. I don't know if there are any others.
Back Taxes.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:55 AM   #46
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Don't let a little thing like 'innocent till proven guilty' fuck up your argument.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:01 AM   #47

Years ago, this is what I said would happen with civil forfeiture being applied to lesser and lesser offences. If TREO wants to run after this individual they can pursue him through civil courts and apply a court judgement to garnish his wages. Confiscating his property before he has been charged or convicted of any crime, much less a minor offence is outrageous.

IMO, the whole fraud charge is pushing it. It's fraud if he was impersonating another vehicle, causing them to receive the toll charge.. Removing his plates is failure to display valid plates.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Holy fuck this mentality pisses me off so much...it's the reason why we have so many inbred morons waiting in line to take advantage of the system at every turn. Oh, poor him in his little metro. Poor guy was just doing this. Boo fucking hoo.

So somehow he's a victim now? The lazy fuck who kept using the same stupid method and got caught? Now they're taking away his $500 beater as punishment? Let me just find the world's smallest violin and see if i can stir some sort of inkling to even begin to feel bad for this guy.
The number of bleeding hearts here hurts.

The moron in the metro had it coming. The more bleeding hearts I see here, the more I'm glad they're squashing asshats like these.
This is not about one individual or one case. This is about the type of justice we are entitled to in a civil society. Concepts such as a balance of power between people and a state, independent courts, and innocent till proven guilty are important legal foundations of a civil society.

The concept of private property is sacrosanct. The government and courts should only be allowed to confiscate private property in the most egregious circumstances. There are far better avenues to pursue punishment and justice than civil forfeiture for minor offences.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #49
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
CF is retarded in this case.

Charge him with fraud and fine him 10-20X what his tolls should be (if he has to cross the bridge for work, should be easy to figure out). He can't get insurance til his tolls are paid off anyways and the fine well exceeds any amount they'd get for his car.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #50
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
If they're going to fine him based on the number of tolls he's skipped out on wouldn't they have to accurately come up with a number for that? Which is easier said than done given that he hid the plate.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote