REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Man could lose car to civil forfeiture for evading port mann tolls (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705190-man-could-lose-car-civil-forfeiture-evading-port-mann-tolls.html)

Great68 09-03-2015 05:11 PM

Man could lose car to civil forfeiture for evading port mann tolls

Quote:

Man charged with fraud for evading tolls on the Golden Ears Bridge - BC | Globalnews.ca

Man charged with fraud for evading tolls on the Golden Ears Bridge

A Port Coquitlam man has been charged with two counts of fraud after he was spotted evading tolls on the Golden Ears Bridge.

It turns out the man was using a cable system inside the car to lift up the license plate to avoid the toll cameras.

In December, 2014, an off-duty Surrey RCMP Criminal Collision Investigation Team (CCIT) member was following a car headed towards Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows across the Golden Ears Bridge from Surrey.

No license plate was visible on the vehicle and this caught the officer’s attention.

“Officers are always looking for uninsured vehicles,” said Cpl. Scotty Schumann. “The officer was very surprised when he saw a valid BC license plate magically lift into place after they had passed the toll cameras.”

The officer recorded the plate number and began making inquiries. Police were able to identify the owner of the car and the driver. When they saw the driver cross the bridge again, he was arrested for fraud.

Gregory Murray, 49, was charged with two counts of fraud under $5,000 on Aug. 6. Police have also seized the car, a 1993 Geo Metro and are applying to have the car forfeited to Crown.

“Thousands of people cross the bridge daily with the vast majority paying their tolls. This serves as a reminder to anyone actively trying to defeat the toll system that it is a criminal offence and that you could lose your vehicle and face charges,” says Schumann.

Anyone with more information about toll evasion is asked to contact the police force in their jurisdiction or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-TIPS or Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers Home Page.
All jokes about the car being a Geo Metro aside, It makes me FURIOUS that the government would be pursuing civil forfeiture over traffic toll evasion, basically equating that with Gang Profiteering and Drunk Driving.

An acceptable punishment to me would be to make the guy back-pay all his illegal crossings with interest, and slap an addition fine on him.

When the government does shit like this, I'm starting to get CIC in my head and that we're regressing into a fucking police state and we're going to have to rise up and overthrow these fuckers before we can't even fart without having all our property taken away.

Like, does this sound right to anyone else?

Galactic_Phantom 09-03-2015 05:16 PM

Civil forfeiture on a geo metro :fuckthatshit:

Jmac 09-03-2015 05:20 PM

Civil forfeiture is going too far, IMO. Yes, the Geo isn't worth much, but it sets a dangerous precedent.

DragonChi 09-03-2015 05:28 PM

Cops power tripping at its best.

Their shit doesn't stink.

XplicitLuder 09-03-2015 05:29 PM

the amount of bikers i have seen (you know those HA guys :troll: ) who have their lady friends cover the plate as they cross is funny lol

BoostedBB6 09-03-2015 05:52 PM

You don't need a friend to cover it, just pop the front end up or mount a fender eliminator that mounts it down under the tail more.......not that anyone should do that or anything.

CharlesInCharge 09-03-2015 05:57 PM

When plate scanning software doesnt pick up an id (plate) in its scan, that car come up as a red flag.
Im betting big brothers tools let the police know who this guy was and when his time routes were before miraculously ending up behind him to see this license flipping.

Being a Canadian citizen technically means the Queen owns you, your cars and house.

punkwax 09-03-2015 06:01 PM

^ :stfu:

Klondike 09-03-2015 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8677357)
Being a Canadian citizen technically means the Queen owns you, your cars and house.

Who cares, she's hot. She can have everything. GSTQ

Hondaracer 09-03-2015 06:47 PM

Yea when they said it on the news today, I also thought taking away the vehicle was insane

meowjinboo 09-03-2015 06:55 PM

the CF is insane...

the fraud charge is fucking ludicrous.

fliptuner 09-03-2015 07:02 PM

Never steal from a thief.

murd0c 09-03-2015 09:55 PM

I've been wanting to do something like this for years, I'm sure this guy ain't the only one but losing his car is a fucken joke and I don't understand how it could be legally allowable

GabAlmighty 09-03-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8677437)
I've been wanting to do something like this for years, I'm sure this guy ain't the only one but losing his car is a fucken joke and I don't understand how it could be legally allowable

I looked into license plate flippers. There was a model years ago that was remote/switch activated and only cost a couple hundred bucks. But all the ones I see nowadays are for bikes and then stupid expensive "James Bond" style ones.

underscore 09-03-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8677342)
An acceptable punishment to me would be to make the guy back-pay all his illegal crossings with interest, and slap an addition fine on him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible the forfeiture would be due to the guys inability to pay for the crossings/fines?

Mikoyan 09-03-2015 10:41 PM

Yeah, CF has been coming up in the news for the last couple of years as it's abused by the government as a cash cow.

Craziest one I read about a couple years ago, was a family in Philly had their house seized because their son got caught selling $40 worth of heroin.

sdubfid 09-03-2015 11:03 PM

Translink should hire him to work on their turnstiles

twitchyzero 09-03-2015 11:40 PM

sucks for the guy and I feel bad
but the gov't is clearly making an example out of him so others don't try to scam TREO

Civil Forfeiture in British Columbia - Ministry of Justice

SkinnyPupp 09-04-2015 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8677344)
Civil forfeiture is going too far, IMO. Yes, the Geo isn't worth much, but it sets a dangerous precedent.

It sets a strong deterrence so not many people will attempt to do the same

BoostedBB6 09-04-2015 06:31 AM

I have always been surprised that no one has tried to damage/destroy the tolling equipment there. I know after using the bridge for a year and paying thousands in tolls the though crossed my mind.

Hondaracer 09-04-2015 06:43 AM

There are far more advanced "plate flippers" online that you could probably get away with over string and duct tape lol

Although eventually if you were evading thousands of dollars eventually they'd probably investigate and find you

thumper 09-04-2015 07:03 AM

i wonder if he had a dummy plate instead of no plate at all would not caught the attention of the police? eg:

sadly, this example is almost $450usd for just one... having a pair would be worth more than the guy's car :(

6o4__boi 09-04-2015 07:30 AM

meh...can't exactly feel bad for this guy
you got caught and you got made an example of
at the crux of everything, there are those facts.

sure it sets a dangerous precedent...yadda yadda yadda...but at the end of the day, the guy isn't exactly a saint going into all this
he dun goofed

:fuckthatshit:

It just seems to me like ppl are making a mountain of a mole hill. Just sayin. I'd be more concerned if CF was actually used on someone who didn't truly deserve it.

Quote:

That's a fucking terrible idea. Yeah, let's slap a fine on this guy, something that he's probably never gonna pay back seeing as he drives a fucking metro and goes fail McGyver on the tolls to save a couple hundred bucks. Then when others start doing it and the fines rack up and only about 20% are being paid back, I'll bet you'll be one of the first to bitch and moan about all the uncollected toll-related fines and how that's driving up toll-related expenses.

:facepalm:

haven't you ever watched Breaking Bad? What did Mike say about half measures? I'm almost close to applauding the government for going full measure on morons like these.

dachinesedude 09-04-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8677482)
It sets a strong deterrence so not many people will attempt to do the same

why dont they apply it to drunk driving and excessive speeding then?

the punishment doesnt suit the crime imo

nabs 09-04-2015 08:57 AM

Guy driving a geo metro. Using a string and tape to flip up his plates . Poor guy is probably trying to get to work, he's obviously not well off by any means just trying to make living and save a buck where he can. This shit is fucked.