REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
How is this surprising? If everything is done legally, you'd see far less baller Chinese here in GVR. Imagine, even the current Chinese leader Xi Jingping has a declared net worth of less than 2M with an income of 22k per year.
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #27
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Real estate is probably the easiest way to launder money and has been for years. No surprise about these illicit funds in real estate. But the government couldn't give a f*ck less because they see it as money coming into the country. Which is all they care about.
tr0ubl3s0m3x is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #28

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
All they care about is a dime bag in a 20 year olds car
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #29

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
You guys would be shocked at all the deaths that get reported as suicides or overdoses in the dtes, yet if you know the locals (even as a volunteer) you hear witness statements to the contrary, but a lack of diligence, evidence, and dare I say publicity, get things swept under the rug
Sprinkle some crack on em... They'll get back up.

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #30
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
The scope of dirty Chinese money goes beyond real estate deals and authorities for the most part have decided to turn a blind eye.

Australia has been cracking down on foreign buyers because there's been pressure from citizens, the same needs to be done by our politicians but doubt that will happen any time soon. Too many people getting rich from dirty money.
Australia has foreign ownership restrictions as well as extra taxes for foreign buyers. They even seize $million dollar properties where buyers break the rules. They have stats that track whose buying.

Then you have BC and Canada where we don't even want to track. Say no to collecting data, say no to restrictions or taxes that can help our services.

Then we also have many people that think - hey RE prices are only high because of low interest rates, Chinese buyers have NO affect on RE prices. Who the fuck says it can't be both?, it's not one or the other. The two are not exclusive. You telling me that chinese mainlander buying a $3 million dollar detached home is not affecting prices?

Anyone who even brings up the topic in the media is automatically called a racist so you can't even have a proper debate or discussion publicly.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #31
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Watch our RE market fall like a deck of cards IF the laws eventually change or they make examples of a few people. The west side will probably take the biggest hit, followed by Vancouver.

But I have my doubts that anyone will do anything any time soon; too many people, beyond RE, are making money from this influx of Chinese money .
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Watch our RE market fall like a deck of cards IF the laws eventually change or they make examples of a few people. The west side will probably take the biggest hit, followed by Vancouver.

But I have my doubts that anyone will do anything any time soon; too many people, beyond RE, are making money from this influx of Chinese money .
lol yeah...maybe in a couple hundred years after we're all dead
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Still no pics of Rachel Chan?
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #34
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

To all those citing Australia..

How come even with the strict control on real estate to foreigners, house prices haven't gone down at all over there?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #35
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Lower Mainland:

We welcome Lower Mainlanders

Wait what?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post

How come even with the strict control on real estate to foreigners, house prices haven't gone down at all over there?
There's still a lot of demand in Australia, there prices are still high. but they havn't gone apeshit crazy where it's gone up like 30% this year like they do in Vancouver.

their controls are not "strict", and they aren't saying they cant buy. they just have restrictions. they allow foreign buyers to buy NEW houses and not "used" housing stock. and they are taxed. if you are buying million dollar houses, what's an extra $20-$30K in taxes?

They actually debated about their policies. New houses will allow continue construction and demand for material/services/jobs etc. They also collect hundreds of millions of tax money each year which goes to community services etc. It's a win win. Not sure why our politicians are so ignorant about this.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
They actually debated about their policies. New houses will allow continue construction and demand for material/services/jobs etc. They also collect hundreds of millions of tax money each year which goes to community services etc. It's a win win. Not sure why our politicians are so ignorant about this.
Because anyone who tries to bring it up is automatically labelled as a racist, or discriminatory, etc. And as we all know, this is Canada, and being politically correct is far more important than being, well, political.

The only reason the whole #DontHave1Million campaign wasn't instantly denounced as a racially motivated rally was because the main organizer was a Chinese woman...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #38
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
OR....

maybe those people that drives supercars and exotics dont actually live in richmond to begin with?
no they do, they just go to ubc/don't work so technically no "income"

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #39
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Rachel chan is not bad for a noob
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:19 AM   #40

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post

My dad's close friend invested in Australia because their only daughter went studying there and married a local ABC. From an investment perspective, they are doing pretty bad.

They/daughter invested into 4 properties in Melbourne when the exchange rate of USD:AUD was near parity with low interest rate. (1M USD invested for the DP of 4 units, 75% LTV)

Even with the low interest rate, they are still cashflow negative, so every month, they need to put some money out of pocket to cover the payment.

Why not sell? Well, they bought it at the height of the whole Australian RE frenzy back in 2010. They'd actually lose money (in AUD term) if they were to sell today. And unless the money is reinvested on AUD-denominated assets, seeing from their original investment term (1M USD), they actually lost 30% in 5yrs. So, they only way is to keep on repaying it and hope the AUD would strengthen again in the future.

Here is a chart of Australian RE for anyone interested
Old 09-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #41
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Australia is actually do a lot of things right. They're going to start legislation that states if you don't vaccinate your kid, they're not going to give you certain child subsidies. They're doing a lot of things right there, wish Canada had competent politicians to do the same.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
Australia is actually do a lot of things right. They're going to start legislation that states if you don't vaccinate your kid, they're not going to give you certain child subsidies. They're doing a lot of things right there, wish Canada had competent politicians to do the same.
They have gone through like 5 Prime ministers in the last 5 years or so? since 2010 or something like that.

Maybe it's because if their politicians get canned all the time. Who knows??

Look at us, we have the same guys year after year - Harper, Gregor, Clark. Maybe we are just to complacent?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:21 AM   #43
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

https://www.facebook.com/julia.lau.100?fref=ts

would bang
drunkhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:43 AM   #44
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkhomer View Post

Unless you had a 5 million dollar + listing... she probably wouldn't touch you.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #45
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
They have gone through like 5 Prime ministers in the last 5 years or so? since 2010 or something like that.

Maybe it's because if their politicians get canned all the time. Who knows??

Look at us, we have the same guys year after year - Harper, Gregor, Clark. Maybe we are just to complacent?
No, we have a lot of idiots who easily fall victim to fear mongering.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #46
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkhomer View Post
All that did was lead me to the page of some russian douchenozzle.
For some reason I get a little shadenfreude when I see an Asian princess who may or may not be dating an eastern european douche who is prettier than she is. That said, it's the same feeling I get when I see a chubby little asian guy with a hot blonde chick, so don't think I'm not being fair here.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote