REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The BC Wolf Cull (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705457-bc-wolf-cull.html)

GS8 09-21-2015 11:02 AM

The BC Wolf Cull

Earlier this year, the BC Government issued a culling against wolves that were killing already endangered Caribou. It looks like this story has resurfaced with the Government's decision to kill more Wolves and the surprise appearance of a pop entertainer.

B.C. aims to increase wolf cull amid protests | Globalnews.ca

Uggh, been trying to find scientific studies behind this whole dilemma but all the stories I'm finding have way too much emotional baggage in them.

What I was able to find is that it was Human encroachment on the land that opened up large areas which allowed Wolves to move in and essentially massacre these Caribou. So while Wolves are the problem, Humans made it easier for them to be the problem. So now, Humans are trying to save the Caribou by killing a certain number of Wolves.

Touchy subject. Thoughts?

If it were Snakes and not Wolves, would people react the same way?

smoothie. 09-21-2015 11:07 AM

I want a little wolfy

Hondaracer 09-21-2015 11:28 AM

Wolves aren't golden retrievers. They are essentially vermin or a slight step above in most cases. Terrors to other animals and free range live stock.

In Montana wolves were introduced by man there and essentially took over the territory, aassive cull was done there and I've read quite a bit of material on the success of it.

Regardless of the reason as to why the cull is needed, whether it was by human error or not, if it's required, it's required. This isn't about the publics feeling, it's about maintaining a balance in the wilderness which is as beneficial as possible.

Soooo many fucking people want to squawk about shit like this yet have no clue what they're talking about. I've been a part of numerous conservation projects in conjunction with the BC wildlife federation, and I've never seen the people involved or consult make choices based on feelings or public opinion.

No one gives a shit about the hundreds of thousands of animals the people involved in this decisions have likely saved, they only care about fluffy the wolf pictured raising a group of Cubs

6o4__boi 09-21-2015 12:07 PM

This the shit Miley Cyrus was trying to go all crusader about?

Yeah, I don't give a shit.

CharlesInCharge 09-21-2015 12:21 PM

Arent there zoo's in the world that would want these wolves?
Anyway Miley Cyrus should be protested for all the aborted fetuses this Illuminati degenerate whore is responsible for.
A short clip of her in B.C.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/mile...142503238.html

GS8 09-21-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8682336)
Wolves aren't golden retrievers. They are essentially vermin or a slight step above in most cases. Terrors to other animals and free range live stock.

In Montana wolves were introduced by man there and essentially took over the territory, aassive cull was done there and I've read quite a bit of material on the success of it.

Regardless of the reason as to why the cull is needed, whether it was by human error or not, if it's required, it's required. This isn't about the publics feeling, it's about maintaining a balance in the wilderness which is as beneficial as possible.

Soooo many fucking people want to squawk about shit like this yet have no clue what they're talking about. I've been a part of numerous conservation projects in conjunction with the BC wildlife federation, and I've never seen the people involved or consult make choices based on feelings or public opinion.

No one gives a shit about the hundreds of thousands of animals the people involved in this decisions have likely saved, they only care about fluffy the wolf pictured raising a group of Cubs

I know Hunters / Trappers who go way up North and told me what Wolves are like up there. One guy said they are the equivalent of humans. They have their own tribal like battles with other packs. They'll gladly lay waste to the Moose up there for the sheer assertion of dominance. They don't eat, they consume and massacre whatever they can find.

Due to the cold, they'll kill something, walk away and by the time they come back, the meat is frozen solid. What do they do? Go kill something else and repeat the process.

Most of the complainers in this story are city shitters. The people who live in the area have a different opinion (you know because it actually concerns them).

westopher 09-21-2015 04:22 PM

I don't know enough about it yet, but I do know Crusty Clark supports it.
Every other thing she has done in her life is stupid as fuck, so why would this be any different?
Maybe I do know enough about it.
Cull Christy Clark instead.

I do know there is a bit of a problem with how its being done, and I understand that issue. Flying around in helicopters and shooting them is not going to involve quick and painless deaths, and that I have a big problem with.

ravenhill 09-21-2015 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8682370)
I know Hunters / Trappers who go way up North and told me what Wolves are like up there. One guy said they are the equivalent of humans. They have their own tribal like battles with other packs. They'll gladly lay waste to the Moose up there for the sheer assertion of dominance. They don't eat, they consume and massacre whatever they can find.

Due to the cold, they'll kill something, walk away and by the time they come back, the meat is frozen solid. What do they do? Go kill something else and repeat the process.

Most of the complainers in this story are city shitters. The people who live in the area have a different opinion (you know because it actually concerns them).

Wolves do not kill indiscriminately for sport. Why would they waste valuable energy and resources in such a hostile environment?

It's just an old wives' tale happily perpetuated by ranchers and hunters, who have an obvious vested interest. I'm no more inclined to believe them than the "city shitters". How about some actual scientific studies?

Soundy 09-21-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8682336)

This is the thing: it's not just that they threaten the very existence of the caribou (once those are extinct, that's it for all time)... they're also causing huge damage to livestock numbers. Heard on the radio today, one rancher has reported as much loss to wolves in the first six months this year, as he had all of last year.

Keeping in mind the idea is not to wipe out the wolves, just keep their numbers down to something sustainable to the other wildlife in the area.

Miley needs to fuck right off.

fliptuner 09-21-2015 08:03 PM

To protect the sheep, you gotta catch the wolf.

EuterVanWasser 09-21-2015 08:33 PM

I've disclosed before that I'm a resident hunter so.. there it is. The problem in my opinion with wolves and other predators and their reported increased populations are the ease to which they can move around now.

Launch Google Earth and take a look at any where in the interior then slide the timer back on the satellite overlay to 10 years ago versus today. The lodge pole pine beetle kill has all been aggressively logged to get whatever economic benefit possible out of the timber. It's amazing.

I just got back from my first hunting trip of the season, spent a week up near Logan Lake. This area was productive for us 5 years ago. This time around, it is now a waste land of stumps with new planted pine, but it's all only waist to shoulder high at present. It will eventually become a productive forest in 5 to 10 more years, but it is not right now. In 5 days in the field, I observed 5 deer, 0 bear, 0 moose, 0 upland game birds and 0 hare. What I DID observe was canine scat everywhere.

Where am I going with this and how does this tie in to this wolf cull topic. Between humans pushing FSR's, gas exploration roads and quad trails to pretty much everywhere in the Province now and this clear cutting, it is my opinion that the predators (ie. grizzlies, wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc) can hunt and kill far more effectively now than nature intended.

Moose for example stand about 6 to 7 feet high at the shoulder with extremely long legs.. perfect for moving through the nastiest lodge pole pine blow down you can imagine. Evolution has given them this advantage over shorter legged canines allowing them to escape in to deep forest. I've tried tracking a bull, it is ridiculous how fast they move through these forests. With this all gone, they are at a disadvantage to predators who can move freely around these clear cut fields and through these forest access roads that have been pushed in everywhere.

Conservation is striking a balance by keeping populations in check, and right now it is reported that we're seeing predator populations swell. It is unsustainable in the long run to leave these populations unchecked if the biologists recommend their numbers be decreased. Too many and they will wipe out the large game, then they'll switch to smaller game to stay alive, and then die due to starvation and disease. Too few, and the grazers and small game will reproduce like crazy, eat all the feed out of an area, then eventually die off due to starvation and disease. You get the drift.

I couldn't give a $#$% about Miley and her personal crusade; what I do care about is the health of all various populations to ensure my kids can hunt and enjoy nature in the future should they chose to do so. If 8,500 wolves in the Province is a sustainable number and we currently have 11,000, well... you do the math.

My $0.02.

trip 09-21-2015 10:43 PM

"I heard you guys need some help?"

JaPoola 09-21-2015 11:51 PM

They're not killing them to save caribou, seriously that's some BS. You think government cares about the caribou?! The caribou doesn't pay them money. Cattle farmers do though ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuterVanWasser (Post 8682499)
I've disclosed before that I'm a resident hunter so.. there it is. The problem in my opinion with wolves and other predators and their reported increased populations are the ease to which they can move around now.

I just got back from my first hunting trip of the season, spent a week up near Logan Lake. This area was productive for us 5 years ago. This time around, it is now a waste land of stumps with new planted pine, but it's all only waist to shoulder high at present. It will eventually become a productive forest in 5 to 10 more years, but it is not right now. In 5 days in the field, I observed 5 deer, 0 bear, 0 moose, 0 upland game birds and 0 hare. What I DID observe was canine scat everywhere.

So what you're saying is deforestation is the main reason all this is happening.

originalhypa 09-22-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuterVanWasser (Post 8682499)

I couldn't give a $#$% about Miley and her personal crusade; what I do care about is the health of all various populations to ensure my kids can hunt and enjoy nature in the future should they chose to do so. If 8,500 wolves in the Province is a sustainable number and we currently have 11,000, well... you do the math.

My $0.02.

I like you.

+1, would thank again

SumAznGuy 09-22-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8682623)
I like you.

+1, would thank again

I wander if brown Hypa would approve? :suspicious:

originalhypa 09-22-2015 09:20 AM

brown hypa uses wolves as pets, and eats Bear for breakfast.

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/Photo..._6798063_n.jpg

mmmmmmmm, tandoori bear.

Ronin 09-22-2015 09:31 AM

I'm sure whoever's in charge of this shit knows more about it than Miley Cyrus.

You don't see fucking scientists telling her how to twerk.

dragondragon99 09-22-2015 09:35 AM

wolf pack nwo lol

will068 09-22-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8682327)

Touchy subject. Thoughts?

Touchy subject: Nope. If there's too much wolves. Kill the wolves.

Especially for the folks in rural areas, these wolves (and coyotes) will kill their livestock, pets, hell, even humans.

I wonder if our government can make money off this.

E.g. Make money off short term hunting permits for hunters from abroad to go hunt in BC and kill wolves, coyotes, and bears.

originalhypa 09-22-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8682645)
E.g. Make money off short term hunting permits for hunters from abroad to go hunt in BC and kill wolves, coyotes, and bears.

I've hunted coyotes since I was a kid. When I was 10, a pair of nasty coyotes chased my friend and I up a tree. They stuck around for hours, and it was only when my dad came out to look for us that he saw the coyotes and chased them off with a 30-06.

Two years ago my wife and her little dog were attacked by a coyote. I scared him off with a barrage of shots from my rifle, but he got away. The neighbour shot him a week later after the coyote attacked his cows. That dog weighed over 60 lbs. That's fucking huge for a coyote.

The point is I hate wild dogs, but I respect them. One of the hardest animals to hunt are wild dogs, because they're predators themselves. They also have the ability to learn and adapt based on the situation. Opening up to hunters won't work because of the challenges of hunting them, they need to be trapped, or culled using air support or something like that.

Ted Nugent supports this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...3259C7FA9C.jpg

westopher 09-22-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8682634)
I'm sure whoever's in charge of this shit knows more about it than Miley Cyrus.

You don't see fucking scientists telling her how to twerk.

There are plenty of scientists that share the same view about the cull as Cyrus.
Just because someone you (rightfully so) believe is stupid has an opinion about something, doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong about it.
There are a lot of arguments for both sides. I believe the real reason the caribou are in such low numbers though is because humans have destroyed their habitat.

Ch28 09-22-2015 12:24 PM

http://i.imgur.com/xOqyqEb.jpg

Phil@rise 09-22-2015 12:46 PM

can we drop miley in the middle of wolf territory with a rifle?

white rocket 09-22-2015 01:12 PM

If it's needed, then it's needed. Nothing more to say really. Life is about balance and that's what it sounds like is needed right now. It's unfortunate, yet all too common, for the cause to be human glut(we're all greedy, glutinous fuck-ups; drop your entitlement and get over it).

The good thing is that many animals, like wolves, are resilient. The species will reproduce and won't remember the culling and plot revenge on mankind because of it.

Soundy 09-22-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8682679)
There are plenty of scientists that share the same view about the cull as Cyrus.

Yeah, but are they environmental conservation scientists from BC who have actually studied this particular situation? Just being a "scientist" doesn't automatically imbue one with special knowledge of a given circumstance.

Quote:

There are a lot of arguments for both sides. I believe the real reason the caribou are in such low numbers though is because humans have destroyed their habitat.
Nobody denies that's PART of the problem. Caribou are well adapted to harsh conditions, though. As has already been noted, the bigger issue is how it's become easier for the wolves to hunt them down...easier hunting means a growing wolf population...which means more hunting and more kills...and so it goes.

How much of a role loss of habitat plays is irrelevant at this point, at least as far as the wolf cull goes. Even if it's the ONLY reason things got to this point, the fact remains, if wolf population growth is left unchecked, they WILL decimate what's left of the caribou, and that will be the end of them.