REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #401
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
What is the camera like on the 6P?
Check out the photos I've posted a few pages back, pictures taken in different lighting situations. I think its an excellent overall camera and it's low light performance is simply better than any phone I've owned before.
Advertisement

Last edited by djstyles; 02-07-2016 at 04:27 PM.
djstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #402
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
anyone using a 3a output car charger that rapid charges?

or recommendations?

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #403
R5x
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I'm going to offer a different opinion and say that I'm disappointed overall with the Nexus 6P. It's still by far the best Nexus phone I've used (and I've used all of them as dailies for the last 5 years since the Galaxy Nexus), but I feel it's a bit overrated. Long rant upcoming.

TLDR: Best bang for buck flagship Android phone, best Nexus ever, but Google really needs to improve battery life and camera experience to keep me from going iPhone next time.

I recently used a 4.7" iPhone 6s for a week, and I was surprised at how much i really liked it. I thought the small screen would annoy me but it really didn't (although 5-5.2" is the sweet spot I think). There is just something great about being able to one-hand a device again after using a Nexus 6 and 6P for the past two phones. iOS may be "boring" but I'm at the stage where I don't want to root and mod anymore. I found myself spending less time needing to tweak/fix and more time just USING the damn device.

Battery:
I'm getting annoyed with Google and the fact they never fix their battery draining bugs. The most egregious being their wakelock generator aka "Google Play Services" running amok. Do they really need to ping my location every minute if I use Google Now?
Mobile Radio Active bug STILL being there after its introduction in lollipop? It's getting old needing to root and use Xposed and Amplify to tame these problems. This thing has a 3450mAh battery and should have ridiculous battery life out of the box...but it's quite average at best and it's not only because of the 1440p screen (although that doesn't help).

From my usage, the 6s battery was surprisingly on-par with the Nexus 6P. Both last me 16h/day and about 3.5-4h screen on time, but the battery just tanks on the 6P when browsing unless using some amoled dark theme that I don't want to bother with. Doze is useless for me because where I work, I keep my phone in my pocket all day; not on a table or in a drawer. Standby time on iOS was awesome even in my pocket and a welcome change from my usual Android experience. If I'm not using my device, I expect minimal idle drain. Android does not deliver here year after year.

Overall, I strongly believe a 1080p screen is "good enough" and 1440p is really not needed and the hit on battery life is not worth it.

Camera:
The iPhone 6s camera was far quicker and more consistent at grabbing focus than the 6P which just leads to a better experience for me. The 6P just doesn't focus lock very well especially while framing a shot. It's been a continual problem with Google Camera since the Nexus 4.
I also get blurrier shots more consistently with the 6P and it tends to have trouble sometimes focusing on a foreground subject despite manually focusing on it. Really noticeable when I eventually look at the pics on my computer. The Google Camera app is garbage. The actual hardware is likely good. When you take your time, the 6P can take great photos, but more often than not, I miss spontaneous shots on it or it turns out blurrier than expected.

Video stabilization is significantly worse and the lack of 60fps 1080p video is also a sore spot. It was posted as a feature request on the Google Product Forums recently and an "official" google team member said there is no intention to add this in the future. Inexcusable for a flagship 2016 phone.

Overall, I feel like it's about time to move away from Nexus devices. Every single Google App works great on iOS and they get app updates FASTER than Android...wtf.
I might actually pay the +$500 "Apple Tax" difference for the next iPhone rather than going Nexus. Never thought I'd say that.

/rant
R5x is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #404
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
anyone using a 3a output car charger that rapid charges?

or recommendations?
I'm using the Vinsic USB Type C car charger. Works as advertised but I wish I waited for the Tronsmart Type C car charger as the second port is Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compatible. Both avaliable on Amazon.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #405
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstyles View Post
I'm using the Vinsic USB Type C car charger. Works as advertised but I wish I waited for the Tronsmart Type C car charger as the second port is Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compatible. Both avaliable on Amazon.
appears to be a bunch of negative reviews on the tronsmart. Overheating issues

Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #406
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R5x View Post
I'm going to offer a different opinion and say that I'm disappointed overall with the Nexus 6P. It's still by far the best Nexus phone I've used (and I've used all of them as dailies for the last 5 years since the Galaxy Nexus), but I feel it's a bit overrated. Long rant upcoming.

TLDR: Best bang for buck flagship Android phone, best Nexus ever, but Google really needs to improve battery life and camera experience to keep me from going iPhone next time.

I recently used a 4.7" iPhone 6s for a week, and I was surprised at how much i really liked it. I thought the small screen would annoy me but it really didn't (although 5-5.2" is the sweet spot I think). There is just something great about being able to one-hand a device again after using a Nexus 6 and 6P for the past two phones. iOS may be "boring" but I'm at the stage where I don't want to root and mod anymore. I found myself spending less time needing to tweak/fix and more time just USING the damn device.

Battery:
I'm getting annoyed with Google and the fact they never fix their battery draining bugs. The most egregious being their wakelock generator aka "Google Play Services" running amok. Do they really need to ping my location every minute if I use Google Now?
Mobile Radio Active bug STILL being there after its introduction in lollipop? It's getting old needing to root and use Xposed and Amplify to tame these problems. This thing has a 3450mAh battery and should have ridiculous battery life out of the box...but it's quite average at best and it's not only because of the 1440p screen (although that doesn't help).

From my usage, the 6s battery was surprisingly on-par with the Nexus 6P. Both last me 16h/day and about 3.5-4h screen on time, but the battery just tanks on the 6P when browsing unless using some amoled dark theme that I don't want to bother with. Doze is useless for me because where I work, I keep my phone in my pocket all day; not on a table or in a drawer. Standby time on iOS was awesome even in my pocket and a welcome change from my usual Android experience. If I'm not using my device, I expect minimal idle drain. Android does not deliver here year after year.

Overall, I strongly believe a 1080p screen is "good enough" and 1440p is really not needed and the hit on battery life is not worth it.

Camera:
The iPhone 6s camera was far quicker and more consistent at grabbing focus than the 6P which just leads to a better experience for me. The 6P just doesn't focus lock very well especially while framing a shot. It's been a continual problem with Google Camera since the Nexus 4.
I also get blurrier shots more consistently with the 6P and it tends to have trouble sometimes focusing on a foreground subject despite manually focusing on it. Really noticeable when I eventually look at the pics on my computer. The Google Camera app is garbage. The actual hardware is likely good. When you take your time, the 6P can take great photos, but more often than not, I miss spontaneous shots on it or it turns out blurrier than expected.

Video stabilization is significantly worse and the lack of 60fps 1080p video is also a sore spot. It was posted as a feature request on the Google Product Forums recently and an "official" google team member said there is no intention to add this in the future. Inexcusable for a flagship 2016 phone.

Overall, I feel like it's about time to move away from Nexus devices. Every single Google App works great on iOS and they get app updates FASTER than Android...wtf.
I might actually pay the +$500 "Apple Tax" difference for the next iPhone rather than going Nexus. Never thought I'd say that.

/rant
Why not give the new sony xperia lineup a try. I am using the Sony xperia Z3 compact. Other than the camera sucks the battery life, on screen time the simple UI layout is awesome. The only thing I don't like is the camera and because is full glass front and back is easy to drop it which I did and the back is all shatter.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #407
R5x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Why not give the new sony xperia lineup a try. I am using the Sony xperia Z3 compact. Other than the camera sucks the battery life, on screen time the simple UI layout is awesome. The only thing I don't like is the camera and because is full glass front and back is easy to drop it which I did and the back is all shatter.
My gf actually has a z3c (i chose that phone for her). It's OK not I'm not too crazy about it. Some things i don't personally like is the shape of the device (too boxy, not that comfortable to hold IMO). Screen is slightly too small given Androids default dpi on that phone (not information dense enough) and icons look gigantic. Camera is pretty bad and much too slow to process pictures and shutter lag.
I'm also not enamored with how slow Sony updates their phones (still stuck on lollipop) and the mobile radio active bug has really destroyed the standby time on that phone relative to KitKat while on data.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #408
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
you can always change the DPI on the phone.. but then it causes some issues with apps on the playstore if its set too low

3rd party launcher can change the icon size too...
Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #409
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
had the 5x for a while now, 2 complaints.
-sometimes the fingerprint scanner doesnt work or wake up the phone properly.
-camera lags in general. lags starting up, lags when you take a picture
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #410
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
strange. my fingerprint scanner works flawless all the time!

but agree w/ the camera. sometimes it fucks up too where it'll take a pic and i cant see it in my gallery.. who knows.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #411
R5x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
you can always change the DPI on the phone.. but then it causes some issues with apps on the playstore if its set too low

3rd party launcher can change the icon size too...
True, a 3rd party launcher can do it, although just a personal preference to keep things near stock as much as possible. I actually use Google Now and I don't think Nova Launcher (or equivalent) can plug into it (?)

The only way I've found to change the DPI properly without breaking apps is to do it via a build.prop edit and finding the sweet spot rather than adb command-line which screws up lots of apps for sure. Requires either root or custom recovery which is a pain in the ass to do on non-Nexus phones.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #412
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
i think setting to anything lower then 420dpi will break apps...
Old 02-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #413
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
oh and also, sometimes when i get calls, the screen stays black and i can't even see whos calling. i have to press the power a few times. really odd behavior.
i'm on my phone a lot for work and this happens maybe 1/30 times
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #414
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
oh and also, sometimes when i get calls, the screen stays black and i can't even see whos calling. i have to press the power a few times. really odd behavior.
i'm on my phone a lot for work and this happens maybe 1/30 times
Happens on my Sony Z3 compact as well. Not sure why though. Is not such an issue for me.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #415
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

nobody started a thread for Xiaomi Mi5 yet?
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #416
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
nobody started a thread for Xiaomi Mi5 yet?
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #417

not sure about the other 5X users in here but i'm done with my 5x.

i've rooted and wasn't happy w/ the performance (even with diff kernels), and now back to stock.

regardless, the phone still has hiccups here and there. really frustrating.

it's either back to the touchjizz or a 6s! yikes..
Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
not sure about the other 5X users in here but i'm done with my 5x.

i've rooted and wasn't happy w/ the performance (even with diff kernels), and now back to stock.

regardless, the phone still has hiccups here and there. really frustrating.

it's either back to the touchjizz or a 6s! yikes..
Not enough RAM. If only the 5X packs 3GB of RAM it will be a good deal. But 2GB of RAM is more like a mid tire phone. Ppl can easily get the LG 4 for around the same price really puts the 5x in a bad position.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #419

Yeah I should have accepted that going into it...
Old 03-12-2016, 02:09 AM   #420
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
appears to be a bunch of negative reviews on the tronsmart. Overheating issues
so what did you end up going with? im looking for one as well.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #421
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidish View Post
so what did you end up going with? im looking for one as well.
nothing yet, was looking at the anker car charger but not sure yet

Quote:

Old 03-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #422

Quote:
nothing yet, was looking at the anker car charger but not sure yet
i did a little searching around and some reading on benson's blog and ended up going with the Visnic high speed car charger and an anker USB C cable. the car charger has both a USB A and USB C port.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #423

Anyone else having battery drain issues after this months security update? Something is keeping my phone awake and causing huge a battery drop. Went out for a walk with my dog for about an hour. left with 50% battery, came back and it was at about 9%. Didn't use it at all during the walk other than to take it out of my pocket to check notifications. Also, during charging now it says charging rapidly but the charge time has changed from 1hr40 mins to 3hrs. Wtf?
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #424

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Thinking about picking up the 6p from Craigslist

Noob question but can the seller report the imei/phone as stolen and Google will blacklist the phone? (making it unusable?)
Old 08-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #425
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Thinking about picking up the 6p from Craigslist

Noob question but can the seller report the imei/phone as stolen and Google will blacklist the phone? (making it unusable?)
Do you have an amerifriend? Newegg.com has gold 64gb for 400 usd this weekend.

Newegg.com - Email Exclusive: $399 Nexus 6P 64GB Unlocked Phone; $139.99 WD Red 4TB NAS HDD & More
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote