REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Vancouver, BC - North America's Costliest City, Rich Chinese are to Blame

In North America's Costliest City, Rich Chinese Take the Blame
By Jeremy Van Loon

October 6, 2015 — 3:00 PM PDT Updated on October 7, 2015 — 6:31 AM PDT
In North America's Costliest City, Rich Chinese Take the Blame - Bloomberg Business

James Hankle, a 50-something software engineer sporting blue jeans and a Green Party T-shirt, is explaining his fix for Vancouver’s runaway property prices when he’s interrupted by an eavesdropping passerby: “Stop allowing people from China to buy our houses and leave them vacant,” she says and walks away.
Despite British Columbia’s aversion to pipelines and affection for pot, housing affordability has pushed both aside as the number one issue raised by area residents in the run-up to Canada’s election this month. It’s not completely surprising given that Vancouver has become North America’s most expensive city.
Surging purchase prices have triggered protest movements like #donthave1million, started by a group of young professionals frustrated at being shut out of home ownership. They complain of having to delay starting families as they remain bunked in with roommates, often into their 30s and beyond.
The affordability issue speaks to broader campaign themes: the difficulty young people face getting established in the labor market, the economic anxieties of the middle class, growing concerns about income inequality, support for families with children. Residents also increasingly point fingers at wealthy Chinese immigrants and investors whose lavish embrace of the Pacific metropolis of 2.5 million has inspired reality TV shows with such gaudy names as “Ultra Rich Asian Girls in Vancouver.”
Vancouver, with its C$2.23 million ($1.7 million) average price tag for a detached home is playing an unusual role in the national election to be held Oct. 19. British Columbia is the only place where all four national parties are competitive -- the Conservatives, Liberals, New Democrats and Greens -- and, given the tightness of the race, its choices could spell the difference. As of now, the New Democrats and Liberals look likely to take some seats away from the Conservatives in the region, according to poll aggregator ThreeHundredEight.com.

Campaign Fodder

The top contenders for prime minister, incumbent Conservative Stephen Harper, Liberal Justin Trudeau and New Democrat Tom Mulcair, have all given voice on campaign stopovers to the city’s particular anxiety by promising they will, if elected, gather data on foreign ownership of its pricey condos and bungalows. “There are real concerns that foreign, non-resident real estate speculation is the reason some Canadian families find house prices beyond their budgets,” Harper said Aug. 12 in Vancouver. “That is a matter we can and should do something about.”
Though no expert on the subject, Hankle, like just about everyone else across the city, is obsessed with the topic and increasingly resigned to never owning a house himself. Standing in Yaletown, a one-time industrial site where nearby two-bedroom apartments can go for C$1.8 million, he calls on political parties competing for his vote to build more low-cost housing and introduce programs to guarantee people a livable minimum income.
He also picks up on the theme of the passing woman, saying governments need to begin collecting data on exactly who’s coming into the city and their impact on affordability. “There’s a huge concentration of wealth and it just isn’t sustainable,” he says.

Bubble Unburst

Unlike the U.S., Canada didn’t experience a housing price collapse with the global recession and has defied predictions ever since that the bubble is about to burst. With the exception of declines in 2009, 2012 and 2013, housing prices have risen in each of the past 15 years, with the cost doubling from August 2005 to 2015, according to the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, out-pacing wage gains.
“Our big challenge is affordable housing,” said Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson, in a Sept. 25 interview at Bloomberg headquarters in New York. “It’s been difficult to deal with more affordable housing for a younger work force in particular.”
The Economist Intelligence Unit has named Vancouver the most expensive city to live in North America and a 2014 study by consultancy Demographia cited it as the second-least affordable housing market in the world after Hong Kong. Rising prices in Vancouver pushed housing affordability to “risky levels” in the second quarter as the costs of owning a bungalow rose to an unprecedented 86.9 percent of household income, an August report by RBC Capital Markets said.
“There’s national trend on affordability and it gets especially bleak in Vancouver,” said Paul Kershaw, an associate professor at the University of British Columbia who studies the impacts of public policy on housing. “The dynamic is signaling a change in the standard of living and home ownership that has been the norm for previous generations.”

Record Debt

Vancouver’s 25-to-34 year old cohort earns less and carries more debt than a generation ago, Kershaw said, meaning it now takes 10 working years to save for a down payment versus two years back then.
Although harder pressed, Vancouver families are in good company in borrowing more and more to get ahead. The debt of the average Canadian household now stands at a record 165 percent of disposable income, according to Statistics Canada, about 30 points higher than before the recession and matching the levels of U.S. debt when its housing market crashed. Still, in Vancouver at least, prices are galloping ahead so quickly, they “make it a stretch” for a typical household to get into the market.
“It’s possible to live decently here as long as you’re single and don’t have dependents,” said Scott McFadyen, a 38-year-old audio designer in the video game industry who moved to Vancouver from Alberta. “Truthfully, I’m thinking twice about starting a family here.”
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

Here are more links:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business..._lsa=4f87-1906

In Vancouver, North America?s most expensive city, rich Chinese take the blame for skyrocketing home prices | Financial Post
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
water found on mars
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Yawn and why not post this in the on going real estate thread?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Because timpo, that's why
Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

The real truth at the root of the problem.

Banks creating money out of nothing and lending it on interest. 18:45 - 22:50
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #7

^ This is called fiat currency, quite common sense.
It was initiated by goldsmith, when they realized that people rarely ask for actual gold.

If you look at balance sheet, liability and asset should be equal in a perfect world. In reality though, asset and liability will never be equal. There are probably 100x more liability than asset.

We are living in this "virtual money" and they're all data. No physical money.
However, if you look at society as a whole, without those virtual money, our society with multiple skyscraper will never work. Because there's only so much "real" money. If that makes sense.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #8

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
Timpo is still in Victoria? should deport them all to Vancouver Island and blow up tsawwassen.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:20 AM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Vancouver, BC - North America's Costliest City, Rich Chinese are to Blame

yawwn
another blame the Chinese thread
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
yawwn
another blame the Chinese thread
We're blaming the open market allowing foreign ownership. Yes the majority are Chinese but nobody is "blaming" them.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
RS kidnap crew
Old 10-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Yawn Timpo talking about balance sheet.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Yawn Timpo talking about balance sheet.
No kidding eh.

I thought the only thing Timpo knew how to balance was:

GTR = BEST

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

it's pretty gratifying to see a poster like Timpo get this treatment.

oh yea, all that stupid shit you've said over the years? we just discount you like a drunk bitch at the club now.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Just tax more on those people who sell their properties within 2 - 5 years of purchase, the sooner they sell, the more tax they pay. This won't drive current investors out but could stop new ones coming in.

Property investments need to stop so those who truly wants to own a house and live in Vancouver can ACTUALLY buy a house.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Blame the government that whored this place out.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Just tax more on those people who sell their properties within 2 - 5 years of purchase, the sooner they sell, the more tax they pay. This won't drive current investors out but could stop new ones coming in.

Property investments need to stop so those who truly wants to own a house and live in Vancouver can ACTUALLY buy a house.

We would just have even MORE empty $2,000,000 houses around. We don't need that
Old 10-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #18
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
^ This is called fiat currency, quite common sense.
It was initiated by goldsmith, when they realized that people rarely ask for actual gold.

If you look at balance sheet, liability and asset should be equal in a perfect world. In reality though, asset and liability will never be equal. There are probably 100x more liability than asset.

We are living in this "virtual money" and they're all data. No physical money.
However, if you look at society as a whole, without those virtual money, our society with multiple skyscraper will never work. Because there's only so much "real" money. If that makes sense.
With this kind of setup they were able to create the American depression... the bankers pulled in their loans and limited circulating currency. People resorted to selling their farms and daughters for sex. When that eventually happens in Canada, like in this forum, an escape goat will be Pavlov'd in, like the foreign buyers, to put the blame on.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #19

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
TBH, I think it's already too late. Vancouver RE has hit the point of no return.

We have had more than a decade of RE boom. So, a good number of people have their entire saving tie to their home and are basically counting their retirement on that because they simply doesn't make enough to bring food to the table, pay the mortgage and still have a good chunk to save up for rainy days or other investments. CBC or Global did a note recently that 1 in 6 Canadian can't pay for the mortgage if the monthly goes up by 500/mth. And over 25% say they need to re-budget. And at today's market where carrying a mortgage of over half million is more than normal, it doesn't take much to increase by $500 a month.

You don't tank the market, the youth (20s) can't afford it. You tank the market, the older can't/won't retire creating high youth unemployment rate.

The only viable solution is slow down the price increase, hoping it won't tank and wage would catch up. Politically speaking though? Just let the other party to take the blame.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
escape goats, that's a new one
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
TBH, I think it's already too late. Vancouver RE has hit the point of no return.

We have had more than a decade of RE boom. So, a good number of people have their entire saving tie to their home and are basically counting their retirement on that because they simply doesn't make enough to bring food to the table, pay the mortgage and still have a good chunk to save up for rainy days or other investments. CBC or Global did a note recently that 1 in 6 Canadian can't pay for the mortgage if the monthly goes up by 500/mth. And over 25% say they need to re-budget. And at today's market where carrying a mortgage of over half million is more than normal, it doesn't take much to increase by $500 a month.

You don't tank the market, the youth (20s) can't afford it. You tank the market, the older can't/won't retire creating high youth unemployment rate.

The only viable solution is slow down the price increase, hoping it won't tank and wage would catch up. Politically speaking though? Just let the other party to take the blame.
Yeah, wage will not increase pass the point where you can afford a house at the current price range. I remember reading a report that an average household needs to be making $50/hr - $78/hr to actually buy a decent house and support their family.

The best solution is definitely tank the house price so some of us and our next generation can actually afford one. Those stuck with a property already will just have to suck it up and accept the depreciation of their homes. Most likely, these people weren't gonna sell anyways and in the long run, people in the future can actually have a house that they actually live in.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, wage will not increase pass the point where you can afford a house at the current price range. I remember reading a report that an average household needs to be making $50/hr - $78/hr to actually buy a decent house and support their family.

The best solution is definitely tank the house price so some of us and our next generation can actually afford one. Those stuck with a property already will just have to suck it up and accept the depreciation of their homes. Most likely, these people weren't gonna sell anyways and in the long run, people in the future can actually have a house that they actually live in.
Housing prices tank people owning houses lose there shirts. New construction stops people lose there job the economy suffers. People are now making less money so they still can't afford a home.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:

numerous people i know purchased houses completely on their own through simply hard work and sacrifice. albeit in Langley and Walnut grove, but these people just busted their asses and worked while going to school, worked two jobs, saved every time, and now own 600,800k houses.. dual income but no help from parents etc.

i think people need to get their heads out of their asses in thinking working some median job making 45k a year is ever going to get them into the housing market, it's not realistic.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #24

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

politics

Why fix stuff, when you can just point fingers?

(and possibly profit from it)
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
where is gululu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote