REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,264 Times in 1,967 Posts
Vancouver Viaducts to be torn down

It's official. Say goodbye to the twins...

Vancouver viaducts to be removed, votes council - British Columbia - CBC News

Vote was 5-4, cost of project will be around $300 million. Looks like they'll add more housing, park expansion, a bike bridge and construct an 8 way lane merging Expo & Pacific Boulevards.

Call me cynical, but I can't help but think this whole thing was pre-approved ages ago and the city just carried through an act to make it look like they gave a shit what people thought.

Oh and source of funding is currently undecided

Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
I don't know how they can approve something that has no source of funding
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

not to mention whos going to pay for the water/sewage upgrades power and all that jaz on top...

yay looks like we go years of construction to wait through too!
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
So when is the next municipal vote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #5
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Wow, I saw the old viaduct being torn down to be replaced with this one that is now going to be torn down.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

funding from rich mainlanders lol
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

If a new city council changes and Vision is no longer in power, before 2018 can the city change its decision or is it binding?
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Call me cynical, but I can't help but think this whole thing was pre-approved ages ago and the city just carried through an act to make it look like they gave a shit what people thought.

Oh and source of funding is currently undecided
I don't think you're being cynical. It's a relatively well-known fact that Robertson has been batting for developers since day one, and these same developers have a ton of money to gain by building on viaduct lands. These same developers are my best guess as to where the majority of the funding will come from.

It's cunning really, pander to the greenies/hippies/left-wingers by introducing draconian recycling/trash initiatives and forcing cycling infrastructure down everyone's throats while simultaneously selling out the city to wealthy foreign buyers and developers/real estate brokers who are all too eager to make a profit...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 AM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
what the Aquilini's want the Aquilini's get f'get about it
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Lol this has nothing to do with Aquilini, he's about as insignificant as Steven Harper is now.

This project is all part of the Concorde Pacific Master plan, and the area around this project is like their crowning jewel. They have literally been sitting on the land around that area for decades. And now, just as they are starting to look towards completion of the projects on the opposite side of BC place, all of a sudden this area gets fully green lit for development.

The project has an obvious source of funds, Concorde will make a deal with the government to build out the new infrastructure, in return they will get the green light to do whatever the fuck with the land that they own in the rest of that area, which could be worth BILLIONS.

That Creekside park extension will never go through, or once it does it will be HALF the size of what is shown on that map. Literally a bunch of the land it is shown as taking over isn't owned by the city, it's owned by Concorde.

EDIT: Lol you can even see Concorde's display center is located right in the middle of that proposed creekside park expansion.

That park is gonna get axed almost entirely once negotiations around the lands start being discussed. If anything concorde will pull that park entirely inland and keep the lands around the water for new buildings.

I'd love to see their mockups for the area, cause I'm willing to bet those are a thousand times more realistic than the cities grand scheme which is just a pipe dream.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:26 AM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I don't know how they can approve something that has no source of funding
Well, we all know that developers will be involved...lol
  • Sale or lease of city land
  • Developer levies
  • Community amenity contributions

In any case, they didn't have the funding for upgrading and keeping the viaducts. The costs were estimated to be:

$8-10M to maintain over 15 years
$50-65M for seismic upgrades
$15M for a new pedestrian connection to North East False Creek on Georgia.

With the new St.Pauls Hospital going in the False Creek Flats area, it was either tear down and replace the viaducts or remove them completely. Building new viaducts were deemed too costly.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:27 AM   #12
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Something to take away - the same people that approved this are the same people that created that map legend.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Something to take away - the same people that approved this are the same people that created that map legend.
LOL.

I saw that, so ridiculous. If you just rotate it, it can become whatever you want...

Apparently nobody thought about perhaps using different colours or something. Nope has to be green, cause we need to have it clear those are green spaces...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
meme is right on the money.

Concord Pacific has owned this land since Expo 86 closed up and the land was left an abandoned parking lot.

They are the sole developer and the main reason Robertson pushed to get the viaducts demolished. Concord gets more highrises (think it was 6 in the plan) and Robertson gets more bikes lanes and a park.

Personally, I will not be going into downtown from the East now, period. I would rather use Cambie/Granville and Burrard bridges as this will be a shitshow for the next 5 years. All the viaduct traffic will overflow into Hastings & Powell because people will avoid Expo/Pacific during demolition.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
You're cynical - that sort of thing NEVER happens in Vancouver, and has certainly NEVER happened before with Vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9 View Post
not to mention whos going to pay for the water/sewage upgrades power and all that jaz on top...
What upgrades? You just plug it all into the existing stuff and hope everyone doesn't flush at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #16
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Lol this has nothing to do with Aquilini, he's about as insignificant as Steven Harper is now.

This project is all part of the Concorde Pacific Master plan, and the area around this project is like their crowning jewel. They have literally been sitting on the land around that area for decades. And now, just as they are starting to look towards completion of the projects on the opposite side of BC place, all of a sudden this area gets fully green lit for development.

The project has an obvious source of funds, Concorde will make a deal with the government to build out the new infrastructure, in return they will get the green light to do whatever the fuck with the land that they own in the rest of that area, which could be worth BILLIONS.

That Creekside park extension will never go through, or once it does it will be HALF the size of what is shown on that map. Literally a bunch of the land it is shown as taking over isn't owned by the city, it's owned by Concorde.

EDIT: Lol you can even see Concorde's display center is located right in the middle of that proposed creekside park expansion.

That park is gonna get axed almost entirely once negotiations around the lands start being discussed. If anything concorde will pull that park entirely inland and keep the lands around the water for new buildings.

I'd love to see their mockups for the area, cause I'm willing to bet those are a thousand times more realistic than the cities grand scheme which is just a pipe dream.
really? that's interesting to know

i just recall very early on, the aquilinis were pushing for a solution for development expansion in the area and then the story died away fairly quickly and a little while later rumblings of the viaducts coming down started happening and grew and grew, figured it was them getting their way
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #17

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
hope f1 course is part of the budget
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Gregor obviously had motives to let less cars into the downtown core as well.

Was just on them coming into DT at 10:15 it was fucking slammed..yea gonna be great diverting that to other veins.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
This just seems like such a waste of time and money and is going to inconvenience so many people for so many years. The bad outweigh the good in my mind
Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #20
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Pattison Group has the second majority share of land assets in this area. Their land resides in between and behind the Viaducts. They are probably one of the majority gainers from the demolition of the Viaducts.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
That map legend...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
bring back the Molson Indy
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #23

Here is the new proposed road system from the city engineers. If they are able to ensure that developers cover the project costs, this could work. Having Pacific go both ways and having a major signalized intersection at Pacific and Georgia would ensure that traffic flows properly in both directions in/out from downtown. Georgia and Pender then become the major entryway and exit points from the core. My fear as always, is that developers control this city and end up screwing over the taxpayers.

Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #24
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
looks like downtown is creeping into chinatown
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #25

Look at the corner of Main and Keefer. It already is.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: