REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Kits Coast Guard Station to re-open!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706264-kits-coast-guard-station-re-open.html)

murd0c 11-13-2015 10:09 AM

Kits Coast Guard Station to re-open!!

Talk about great news and one of the reason why I voted for him. Nice to see he's living up to some of his promises so far...

Trudeau officially tells DFO to re-open Kits Coast Guard station - NEWS 1130

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – In a mandate letter to the minister of fisheries and oceans, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has stated the Kits Coast Guard station is to be re-opened.

He had promised this would happen during the election, but this makes it more official.

In a controversial move, the Conservatives closed down the station in 2013.

(More to come)

smoothie. 11-13-2015 10:26 AM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...-i_like_it.jpg

pastarocket 11-13-2015 10:33 AM

Good job Trudeau. :fullofwin:

Mr.HappySilp 11-13-2015 10:56 AM

Doesn't cloud the fact that he have no plan for the Syrian refugees that's coming. Have no plan how much it will cost Canadians, how the security check will work, where they will stay, about about health care, disease prevention, job training, education. He did not even do any research on how this will impact the cities.

Looks at Germany on what's happening with the Syrian refugees. We will be next.

320icar 11-13-2015 10:58 AM

^^^. Look out, someone's a damp dish cloth

Mr.HappySilp 11-13-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8698620)
^^^. Look out, someone's a damp dish cloth

Just pointing out the truth. His own minister even admitted (even JT himself) they have no plan in place at all but they are confident it will get done by the end of the year.

melloman 11-13-2015 11:13 AM

Hmm.. That sounds like Crappy Clark and the "Massey Tunn....bridge" but that's off topic and we won't go there.

This though... is...
http://oilersnation.com/uploads/Image/good-news.jpg

Mr.HappySilp 11-13-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8698625)

I agree it is good news just feels with the whole Syrian refugees mess we got into.

Hot Karl 11-13-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8698619)
Doesn't cloud the fact that he have no plan for the Syrian refugees that's coming. Have no plan how much it will cost Canadians, how the security check will work, where they will stay, about about health care, disease prevention, job training, education. He did not even do any research on how this will impact the cities.

cloud the fact? every single thing he does isn't related to syria. he has a equal gender cabinet. i guess he's clouding the facts?

we'll be like germany? as soon as they build a landbridge that allows refugees to walk to canada i guess we'll be like germany.

no one's downplaying the refugees but coming in like this from left field makes you look like a typical political nutball.

Tapioca 11-13-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8698619)

Who says they don't have a plan? So, the people working round the clock in the various departments are bumpkins?

Hondaracer 11-13-2015 12:46 PM

Closed since 2013, no incidents happened since showing the need for the station, yet open dat ish back up baby!

Open one every 10 miles of coast line

MG1 11-13-2015 01:24 PM

Since 2013........ it's 2015 just saiyan.

yray 11-13-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8698647)
Closed since 2013, no incidents happened since showing the need for the station, yet open dat ish back up baby!

Everyone will get a government job and a government pension :alonehappy:

smoothie. 11-13-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

do you not remember when they shut down the coast and all beaches from this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ches-1.3037401

Hondaracer 11-13-2015 02:47 PM

Yea cause the coast guard zodiac is crazy good at oil spill response

l2_narain 11-13-2015 03:09 PM

We have the money to do this....right? :hotbaby:

Mr.HappySilp 11-13-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8698631)
cloud the fact? every single thing he does isn't related to syria. he has a equal gender cabinet. i guess he's clouding the facts?

we'll be like germany? as soon as they build a landbridge that allows refugees to walk to canada i guess we'll be like germany.

no one's downplaying the refugees but coming in like this from left field makes you look like a typical political nutball.

Nutball you said?

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70626...ml#post8698713

Yea let's welcome them in open arms while they bite you the ass right when you turn around.

Mr.HappySilp 11-13-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2_narain (Post 8698701)
We have the money to do this....right? :hotbaby:

Of coz we do! Let's borrow more money and put the country in debt and raise tax so we can afford to have them here.

Tapioca 11-13-2015 03:58 PM

^ As a Chinese person, how would you feel if the general public viewed you as a cheapskate, illiterate, free-loader who is only here to take advantage of the country's social programs?

That's what you're doing by painting all of the refugees with the same brush. On the balance, if they subscribed to radical Islam, wouldn't they want to stay in Syria?

Seriously people - think about it.

Mr.HappySilp 11-13-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8698721)
^ As a Chinese person, how would you feel if the general public viewed you as a cheapskate, illiterate, free-loader who is only here to take advantage of the country's social programs?

That's what you're doing by painting all of the refugees with the same brush. On the balance, if they subscribed to radical Islam, wouldn't they want to stay in Syria?

Seriously people - think about it.

You are right I am Chinese and I think we are cheap. I said that to my parents and my gf all the time.

Lomac 11-13-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8698668)
do you not remember when they shut down the coast and all beaches from this?

Vancouver oil spill prompts warning to stay away from beaches - British Columbia - CBC News

To be fair, even the Coast Guard themselves have stated that the Kits base was S&R focused and wouldn't have had the equipment necessary to handle a fuel or oil spill.

That said...

Quote:

Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it's not going to. The next closest Coast Guard base is in Delta. Should a situation occur where they're needed, that distance could mean the difference between life and death. Yes, I'm well aware that there are police boats and usually a ton of civilian and commercial vessels on the water during most of the day, but most of 'em aren't equipped to handle emergency situations that the Coast Guard boats typically can.

lowside67 11-13-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8698751)
Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it's not going to. The next closest Coast Guard base is in Delta. Should a situation occur where they're needed, that distance could mean the difference between life and death. Yes, I'm well aware that there are police boats and usually a ton of civilian and commercial vessels on the water during most of the day, but most of 'em aren't equipped to handle emergency situations that the Coast Guard boats typically can.

I agree with you that the distance between Delta and Kits could be the difference between life and death.

However, we are always balancing the possibility of something happening against the cost of preventing it. Ie, there is some theoretical likelihood of something happening in some distance that neither of those two stations could reach them in time, and by that argument, you could propose opening another station between the two and that argument can continue in perpetuity.

The reason the Kits station was closed was not that there was no situation that could ever require it, but rather a calculated decision that the probability of that happening is so low that it does not justify the expense.

I get that this is a very politically charged decision and I am worried that JT is so busy making "popular" decisions (ie simply undoing anything that SH did that was unpopular) that there is no actual thought or analysis going into this.

He has been in office for like a week - do you really genuinely believe that they have done enough study to determine conclusively that it makes sense to reopen this base vs the amount of study that was used to try to prove it could be closed?

Food for thought...

Mark

Lomac 11-13-2015 05:43 PM

Oh, I agree. If the stats justified closing the Kits base, then I have no problem with that. To be perfectly honest, I'm rather indifferent to the whole subject. It was just a point I wanted to make.

Hot Karl 11-13-2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8698715)
Nutball you said?

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70626...ml#post8698713

Yea let's welcome them in open arms while they bite you the ass right when you turn around.

Are you seriously going to act like the home grown terrorist problem in Europe would be the exact same as allowing Syrian refugees into this country?

You talk a big game but your ignorance is showing. The current home grown terrorists are not refugees they are dudes that are 2nd generation or having lived there almost their entire life.

Dedicated terrorists can enter North America without having to pose as a Syrian refugee. Gimme a goddamn break. The dudes you are worried about are the dudes that we went to high school with not some guy bringing what's left of his family over here to start a life.

Jmac 11-13-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8698692)
Yea cause the coast guard zodiac is crazy good at oil spill response

Coast Guard pollution vessel sits empty | News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk
Quote:

A special Coast Guard pollution response vessel formerly stationed at the now shut down Kits Coast Guard base is not being used to help out with the English Bay oil spill.

Former Kits Coast Guard commander Fred Moxey says it is sitting on the dock at Richmond’s Sea Island base.

“Once they shut the station down they put it up on the dock. I believe the crew are up in Prince Rupert at the moment. I am not 100% sure.”

Moxey says only a coast guard rubber boat can respond to the spill as the Osprey stationed at Kits was taken offline. .

“The vessel when they closed the station down they stripped the motors out of the boat and then they sold the vessel.”

Moxey says the Richmond base has a lack of assets at its fingertips to respond to fuel or oil spills.

“The hovercraft is not really designed to respond to an oil spill. They do not have a conventional vessel there like the Osprey that they had at Kits. They do have an oopen rubber boat that they use. I believe that was on scene last night sometime about eleven o’clock.”

He says it would have taken crews at Kits base six minutes to respond to the situation.

Coast Guard crews from Richmond’s Sea Island base took nine hours to get a boom in place around the oil slick.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23893361/
Quote:

Fred Moxey, the former Kitsilano base commander, notes that for the past two years, the pollution-response vessel that the Coast Guard used to deploy for spills in Vancouver’s harbour has been up on blocks. The 47-foot ship, named 701, was equipped with oil-recovery tanks, skimmers, a boom – everything that would have been needed to quickly slap a Band-Aid on the bunker fuel leaking from the cargo ship Marathassa in English Bay.

“The crew was trained and the ship was ready around the clock for a first attack,” Captain Moxey said. “Had the base been open and the crew on duty, they would have been out into English Bay in a matter of minutes.”