REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Kits Coast Guard Station to re-open!!

Talk about great news and one of the reason why I voted for him. Nice to see he's living up to some of his promises so far...

Trudeau officially tells DFO to re-open Kits Coast Guard station - NEWS 1130

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – In a mandate letter to the minister of fisheries and oceans, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has stated the Kits Coast Guard station is to be re-opened.

He had promised this would happen during the election, but this makes it more official.

In a controversial move, the Conservatives closed down the station in 2013.

(More to come)
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Good job Trudeau.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Doesn't cloud the fact that he have no plan for the Syrian refugees that's coming. Have no plan how much it will cost Canadians, how the security check will work, where they will stay, about about health care, disease prevention, job training, education. He did not even do any research on how this will impact the cities.

Looks at Germany on what's happening with the Syrian refugees. We will be next.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
^^^. Look out, someone's a damp dish cloth
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
^^^. Look out, someone's a damp dish cloth
Just pointing out the truth. His own minister even admitted (even JT himself) they have no plan in place at all but they are confident it will get done by the end of the year.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Hmm.. That sounds like Crappy Clark and the "Massey Tunn....bridge" but that's off topic and we won't go there.

This though... is...
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
This though... is...
I agree it is good news just feels with the whole Syrian refugees mess we got into.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Doesn't cloud the fact that he have no plan for the Syrian refugees that's coming. Have no plan how much it will cost Canadians, how the security check will work, where they will stay, about about health care, disease prevention, job training, education. He did not even do any research on how this will impact the cities.

cloud the fact? every single thing he does isn't related to syria. he has a equal gender cabinet. i guess he's clouding the facts?

we'll be like germany? as soon as they build a landbridge that allows refugees to walk to canada i guess we'll be like germany.

no one's downplaying the refugees but coming in like this from left field makes you look like a typical political nutball.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:

Who says they don't have a plan? So, the people working round the clock in the various departments are bumpkins?
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Closed since 2013, no incidents happened since showing the need for the station, yet open dat ish back up baby!

Open one every 10 miles of coast line
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Since 2013........ it's 2015 just saiyan.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 11-13-2015 at 01:29 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Closed since 2013, no incidents happened since showing the need for the station, yet open dat ish back up baby!

Everyone will get a government job and a government pension

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:

do you not remember when they shut down the coast and all beaches from this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ches-1.3037401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Yea cause the coast guard zodiac is crazy good at oil spill response
Old 11-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

We have the money to do this....right?
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
cloud the fact? every single thing he does isn't related to syria. he has a equal gender cabinet. i guess he's clouding the facts?

we'll be like germany? as soon as they build a landbridge that allows refugees to walk to canada i guess we'll be like germany.

no one's downplaying the refugees but coming in like this from left field makes you look like a typical political nutball.
Nutball you said?

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70626...ml#post8698713

Yea let's welcome them in open arms while they bite you the ass right when you turn around.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2_narain View Post
We have the money to do this....right?
Of coz we do! Let's borrow more money and put the country in debt and raise tax so we can afford to have them here.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
^ As a Chinese person, how would you feel if the general public viewed you as a cheapskate, illiterate, free-loader who is only here to take advantage of the country's social programs?

That's what you're doing by painting all of the refugees with the same brush. On the balance, if they subscribed to radical Islam, wouldn't they want to stay in Syria?

Seriously people - think about it.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ As a Chinese person, how would you feel if the general public viewed you as a cheapskate, illiterate, free-loader who is only here to take advantage of the country's social programs?

That's what you're doing by painting all of the refugees with the same brush. On the balance, if they subscribed to radical Islam, wouldn't they want to stay in Syria?

Seriously people - think about it.
You are right I am Chinese and I think we are cheap. I said that to my parents and my gf all the time.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #21
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
do you not remember when they shut down the coast and all beaches from this?

Vancouver oil spill prompts warning to stay away from beaches - British Columbia - CBC News
To be fair, even the Coast Guard themselves have stated that the Kits base was S&R focused and wouldn't have had the equipment necessary to handle a fuel or oil spill.

That said...

Quote:
Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it's not going to. The next closest Coast Guard base is in Delta. Should a situation occur where they're needed, that distance could mean the difference between life and death. Yes, I'm well aware that there are police boats and usually a ton of civilian and commercial vessels on the water during most of the day, but most of 'em aren't equipped to handle emergency situations that the Coast Guard boats typically can.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #22
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it's not going to. The next closest Coast Guard base is in Delta. Should a situation occur where they're needed, that distance could mean the difference between life and death. Yes, I'm well aware that there are police boats and usually a ton of civilian and commercial vessels on the water during most of the day, but most of 'em aren't equipped to handle emergency situations that the Coast Guard boats typically can.
I agree with you that the distance between Delta and Kits could be the difference between life and death.

However, we are always balancing the possibility of something happening against the cost of preventing it. Ie, there is some theoretical likelihood of something happening in some distance that neither of those two stations could reach them in time, and by that argument, you could propose opening another station between the two and that argument can continue in perpetuity.

The reason the Kits station was closed was not that there was no situation that could ever require it, but rather a calculated decision that the probability of that happening is so low that it does not justify the expense.

I get that this is a very politically charged decision and I am worried that JT is so busy making "popular" decisions (ie simply undoing anything that SH did that was unpopular) that there is no actual thought or analysis going into this.

He has been in office for like a week - do you really genuinely believe that they have done enough study to determine conclusively that it makes sense to reopen this base vs the amount of study that was used to try to prove it could be closed?

Food for thought...

Mark
Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #23
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Oh, I agree. If the stats justified closing the Kits base, then I have no problem with that. To be perfectly honest, I'm rather indifferent to the whole subject. It was just a point I wanted to make.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #24
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Nutball you said?

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70626...ml#post8698713

Yea let's welcome them in open arms while they bite you the ass right when you turn around.
Are you seriously going to act like the home grown terrorist problem in Europe would be the exact same as allowing Syrian refugees into this country?

You talk a big game but your ignorance is showing. The current home grown terrorists are not refugees they are dudes that are 2nd generation or having lived there almost their entire life.

Dedicated terrorists can enter North America without having to pose as a Syrian refugee. Gimme a goddamn break. The dudes you are worried about are the dudes that we went to high school with not some guy bringing what's left of his family over here to start a life.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Yea cause the coast guard zodiac is crazy good at oil spill response
Coast Guard pollution vessel sits empty | News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk
Quote:
A special Coast Guard pollution response vessel formerly stationed at the now shut down Kits Coast Guard base is not being used to help out with the English Bay oil spill.

Former Kits Coast Guard commander Fred Moxey says it is sitting on the dock at Richmond’s Sea Island base.

“Once they shut the station down they put it up on the dock. I believe the crew are up in Prince Rupert at the moment. I am not 100% sure.”

Moxey says only a coast guard rubber boat can respond to the spill as the Osprey stationed at Kits was taken offline. .

“The vessel when they closed the station down they stripped the motors out of the boat and then they sold the vessel.”

Moxey says the Richmond base has a lack of assets at its fingertips to respond to fuel or oil spills.

“The hovercraft is not really designed to respond to an oil spill. They do not have a conventional vessel there like the Osprey that they had at Kits. They do have an oopen rubber boat that they use. I believe that was on scene last night sometime about eleven o’clock.”

He says it would have taken crews at Kits base six minutes to respond to the situation.

Coast Guard crews from Richmond’s Sea Island base took nine hours to get a boom in place around the oil slick.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23893361/
Quote:
Fred Moxey, the former Kitsilano base commander, notes that for the past two years, the pollution-response vessel that the Coast Guard used to deploy for spills in Vancouver’s harbour has been up on blocks. The 47-foot ship, named 701, was equipped with oil-recovery tanks, skimmers, a boom – everything that would have been needed to quickly slap a Band-Aid on the bunker fuel leaking from the cargo ship Marathassa in English Bay.

“The crew was trained and the ship was ready around the clock for a first attack,” Captain Moxey said. “Had the base been open and the crew on duty, they would have been out into English Bay in a matter of minutes.”
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: