REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-04-2023, 12:44 PM   #3201
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,744 Times in 958 Posts
I don't own a Golf, no.

Corolla Apex Edition with Invidia RTX4090 exhuast.

160hp, 179 decibles.
Advertisement
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2023, 01:48 PM   #3202
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,637 Times in 4,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
How old is your dad and how long will he keep the car, drive for? In Canada Tesla comes with the 8y 160,000 km battery warranty from what I recall. Does he drive a lot? The states has that new budget rwd model y again and I think it's like $36k after rebates.
He's nearing retirement age, so somewhere in late 50s to early 60s. How long will he drive the Lexus for? I think forever until it really craps out which I think could be a long time to come.

I can't say he does a lot of driving other than go to work five or six days a week. I think his real problem is he hates the gas prices which he probably thinks getting an EV is the solution to the problem but also doesn't want to buy a new car (yes, new) and thinks EV batteries, specifically Teslas, crap out all the time and is very expensive.

We can try to rationalize the shit out of everything for him but eventually we will all lose because Asian dad mentality = +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Now if only Hehe would pull his cock from his mouth.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #3203
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,704 Times in 5,217 Posts
You know 100% the government is just waiting until everyone had adopted EV's as their main commuting car and they will drop some massive tax on charging / electricity / whatever. That's always how it goes with the gov, if there's a way to save or make money, they let it go for a few years and then they nip it off.

Gotta pay for all those roads and shit somehow, they can't afford to lose that revenue in the gas tax. Get ready to bend over one way or another lol!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2023, 09:10 AM   #3204
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,831 Times in 985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I am pretty sure he is going on anecdotal and old information. There was a point in time where it was alleged that Prius batteries would cost $10,000 to replace, so he's thinking Tesla would cost even more. But we're talking about like Gen 1 / Gen 2 Prius and I'm like how is this even the same as a modern Tesla?
I don't think battery replacement should be a concern, but FWIW, a tesla battery is around $20-25k to replace
Old 10-05-2023, 01:27 PM   #3205
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I don't think battery replacement should be a concern, but FWIW, a tesla battery is around $20-25k to replace
Thank you for that. I will let him know
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-06-2023, 10:04 AM   #3206
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,187 Times in 240 Posts
https://www.motor1.com/news/690160/t...nch-japan/amp/

Side and rear looks like a identical copy of Porsche panamera sport turismo
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 11:50 AM   #3207
Need to Seek Professional Help

What a mistake by Toyota to bring the silly crown crossover sedan and not this beauty.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 12:28 PM   #3208
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
What a mistake by Toyota to bring the silly crown crossover sedan and not this beauty.
Dude I usually try to reserve judgement on things until I see them in real life, walked by a Crown Platinum in a WalMart parking lot the other night and it's just absolute trash... like who in their right mind sees that car and says yes this is definitely how I want to spend $75,000 of my money?!?!?!

Absolutely mental.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2023, 12:35 PM   #3209
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,893 Times in 3,208 Posts
how dare you sir! HOW DARE YOU

THIS the CROWN YOURE TALKING ABOUT. not the little crown (corolla is latin for little crown) or the medium crown, this is the BIG CROWN.

The badge alone should make you quake in your new balances. PEASANT

(in silver NOT TWO TONE, with a drop and larger wheels, and a shit ton of vasoline, it looks alright)
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 02:52 PM   #3210
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 913 Posts
I rikey looks like a purosangue too bad we won't get it
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 03:19 PM   #3211
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Dude I usually try to reserve judgement on things until I see them in real life, walked by a Crown Platinum in a WalMart parking lot the other night and it's just absolute trash... like who in their right mind sees that car and says yes this is definitely how I want to spend $75,000 of my money?!?!?!

Absolutely mental.
We just ordered one
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #3212
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,189 Posts
Some people that I have encountered, especially older generation, have this weird mentality about EVs.

They seem to mix what's common on ICE vehicles (some mandatory replacements at high mileage like transmission, belts, engine rebuilt... etc) with EV and believe that it's not so great of a bargain. But let's not even talk about maintenance.

Now, the truth is that we have come a long way in term of BMS (Battery Management System). Yes, battery does degrade, which by itself is also a matter of time that we solve that, but what they fail to account is how long before we reach a point where it becomes unusable.

There are many 300k+ KM Tesla out there with original everything while still retaining 80%+ of the original capacity. And let's even suppose that at some point it needs to be replaced, is 300k+ not good enough of a deal?

300k in a quite efficient ICE car that does 12km/L is 25000L of fuel. At an average price of $1.8/L, that's $45,000 spent on fuel.

My Model 3 does 130Wh/km, that translates to 39,000kW of electricity. And let's add 15% AC-DC conversion loss, that's 45,882kW or a whopping $6,423 worth of electricity at today's BC Hydro's Tier 2 rate.

It just gives me that some people are convincing themselves to spend almost $40,000 extra on fuel just so that they can prevent paying 20-25k for a brand new battery pack. And that's for a car that does 12km/L. So, forget any pickup, SUV or minivan. For those, we are taking $60,000+ in difference on fuel alone.

Last edited by Hehe; 10-07-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2023, 09:24 AM   #3213

Man any telsa I’ve sat in past the 100k mark all looks like it’s falling apart and held together by Elmer’s glue. That interior does not hold up to wear
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2023, 09:53 AM   #3214

Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,189 Posts
My previous 2016 Model X had 160k+ and my 2019 Model 3 is about 90k. While I do think there is room for improvement, I don't have major issues with them.

The X had some issues with cover parts that are held together with a bunch of plastic clips. Over time, they get broken due to wear and tear. Nothing major and parts are under 50 cents a piece. I had to get about 6 of them to replace and they fit nicely afterwards.

The 3's seat control plastic piece sometimes gets dragged by pants/skirts and felt a few times. But all I had to do was to put them back on.

I'd love to see Tesla to use a more robust option, sure. But at the end of the day, the driving experience and the fuel saving is more than enough of a tradeoff that I'm willing to take.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:25 PM   #3215

Bro, I’d say this with all respect, but your teslas could be on literal fire and you’d still be advocate their superiority over ICE.
Old 10-07-2023, 02:45 PM   #3216
RabidMod

Thanked 1,130 Times in 413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
https://www.motor1.com/news/690160/t...nch-japan/amp/

Side and rear looks like a identical copy of Porsche panamera sport turismo
Ya mind blowing that this wasn't the one they brought over.

I'm getting kinda 1st gen Venza vibes. Maybe because they were burnt once they didn't want to try something similar again.
Old 10-07-2023, 04:10 PM   #3217

Thanked 3,128 Times in 983 Posts
I agree on interior quality not being up to par compared to other makes. Even my 2017 Civic Touring had more of a luxurious feel to the interior compared to the Model 3, but at this point in time the technology and not paying for gas more than makes up for it. Don't get me started on Tesla's stock suspension, I swapped that out asap.
Old 10-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #3218
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 913 Posts
Well at least he has ownership experience, unlike saying golf r sucks when he doesn't own one
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #3219
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
My previous 2016 Model X had 160k+ and my 2019 Model 3 is about 90k. While I do think there is room for improvement, I don't have major issues with them.

The X had some issues with cover parts that are held together with a bunch of plastic clips. Over time, they get broken due to wear and tear. Nothing major and parts are under 50 cents a piece. I had to get about 6 of them to replace and they fit nicely afterwards.

The 3's seat control plastic piece sometimes gets dragged by pants/skirts and felt a few times. But all I had to do was to put them back on.

I'd love to see Tesla to use a more robust option, sure. But at the end of the day, the driving experience and the fuel saving is more than enough of a tradeoff that I'm willing to take.
Rented an older Model X 75D as my wedding vehicle and my first impressions of it was mixed. On one hand the falcon doors, the tech, and 7 seater option is very appealing as an SUV but the fit and finish was subpar.

You could hear the entire vehicle creak and groan over bumps on the road. It's like Tesla had to sacrifice NVH in order to make the falcon doors work. Now for something over 100k, I expect to have a much nicer and quieter interior.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:39 PM   #3220

I mean I say a lot of shit about teslas but to be honest if you didn’t give a rats ass about that you drive and you wanted to save money. It’s not a bad way to go. It can do most things very well and still save you money.

When a civic LX is 30k now, this 40k Tesla 3 makes a shit load of sense.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2023, 07:57 PM   #3221
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

We have had our 2019 Tesla model 3 performance for 4 years and driven it 63,000 km and the interior looks pretty well the same as it did the day we bought it. The Tesla has been reliable over the past 4 years with no maintenance except for air filter changes and tire rotation. At about 2 cents per km electricity to drive it obviously has very cheap operating costs. Having said that we just bought a $40,000 2024 Subaru Crosstrek and the interior in the economy subcompact Subaru is light years ahead of the Tesla.
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:59 AM   #3222
Performance Moderator

Has there been much talk on the Tesla groups about some kind of air filter for the battery cooling system?

I only ask because one of my sites I take care of for work on the island, was talking to the maintenance supervisor the other day and he was telling me a couple weeks back that they closed a main road near them and everyone (mostly tourists) was getting diverted off the road down a dusty gravel road by their site... and he said he spent most of 2 days at work out there helping out Tesla's that died because the filter for the battery system got clogged and the car just shuts down lol... funny enough he owns a Tesla himself but he said he was calling in to tell them they might want to consider testing for that down the road.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:02 AM   #3223

Thanked 2,560 Times in 847 Posts
From Tesla's maintenance section

Quote:
In addition to cooling the interior, the air conditioning compressor also cools the Battery. Therefore, in hot weather, the air conditioning compressor can turn on even if you turned it off. This is normal because the system’s priority is to cool the Battery to ensure it stays within an optimum temperature range to support longevity and optimum performance. Also, even when not in use, you may hear Model 3 emit a whining noise or the sound of water circulating. These sounds are normal and occur when the internal cooling systems turn on to support various vehicle functions, such as maintaining the low voltage battery and balancing the temperature of the high voltage Battery.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 11:42 AM   #3224

Thanked 3,128 Times in 983 Posts
Here's a detailed video of the cooling system. No mention of an air filter for the cooling system. The only air filters would be the cabin filters.
https://youtu.be/vgfXyLLaO7I?si=vTqna1tAaoZiyc3j
Old 10-10-2023, 12:27 PM   #3225

Weird, looks like they dropped the price of the model 3 in canada by another 2k but its not in their calculator section below

but holy fuck 40k for an EV after rebates is pretty god damn insane.