REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #3026
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,825 Times in 3,180 Posts
To be honest if it was a viable car for reliability and longevity the taxi guys would have all converted over. Okay fine it doesn’t work in 24/7 operation with one car but you can buy 2 and swap between them. I believe This would still save money as you’re not paying for 80 dollars a fill up every day.
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:15 PM   #3027
RabidMod

Thanked 1,116 Times in 409 Posts
Saw a Vinfast VF8 on my way to work.

Can't believe someone actually bought one of these lol!

Old 09-08-2023, 04:27 PM   #3028
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^is it possible that's a press car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
To be honest if it was a viable car for reliability and longevity the taxi guys would have all converted over. Okay fine it doesn’t work in 24/7 operation with one car but you can buy 2 and swap between them. I believe This would still save money as you’re not paying for 80 dollars a fill up every day.
There are Model 3 and Model Y taxis around Vancouver so they're slowly getting there. I've also seen a BZ4X / Niro EV taxis and those seems way sketchier given their range and charge speeds for taxi-use.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:48 PM   #3029
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,123 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
"Designed" how naive does one have to be to believe your tesla can last 300 if not 500k miles. Delusional, not even all toyota models can make that claim. Let me know when you make it there, or when tesla has stood the time of test.
What makes you think they cant go over 300k on the original battery pack? I can post links thats shows model S and 3s that have surpassed 300k with little degradation to the battery but I wont cause whats the point? Seems like you're just here to bash this thread.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:42 PM   #3030

Quote:
Both the interior and exterior door handle design of tesla is a big deal breaker for me. Just reading how people got trapped to death in car crashes because either the firefighters can't open the door or the victims couldn't free themselves is such a haunting experience. Just make a normal door handle for fuck's sake.
If you can't figure out how to use the handles inside of a Tesla, you deserve to die in a fire. There is a button to press but if the battery fails for whatever reason, there is also a manual handle to pull that will open the door. Can't say i've heard of any stories of people being trapped in a burning car where the firefighters couldn't get them out. The only thing close to that that I heard of was the person in north vancouver who didn't know how to use the manual door release.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:13 PM   #3031

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
I guess it's time to start an Electric Hybrid Car Thread for Adults?
Couldn't agree more. Let's just stick to the facts here.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:43 PM   #3032
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,748 Times in 906 Posts
I saw a vin fast yesterday with park plates
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:56 PM   #3033

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I saw a vin fast yesterday with park plates
They have a dealership on the bypass in Langley/Surrey, i'm not sure if they have any stock there though. It's a decent looking vehicle, i'm unsure how the build quality is though.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #3034
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,748 Times in 906 Posts
There's a lot of them at the VIN fast store in New West, on 12th
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:30 PM   #3035
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
VinFast has a dealership setup at where Westminster Toyota used to be (in New West). I pass through the area from time to time, but at least in the past month, the place just seems dead lol~

The overwhelming majority of N.American-based press reviews are panning them hard, so I am not surprised there doesn't seem to be any activity at the dealership.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2023, 08:20 PM   #3036
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,825 Times in 3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
Couldn't agree more. Let's just stick to the facts here.
or you tesla diehard fanbois can start your own circle jerking thread
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2023, 08:43 PM   #3037
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
What makes you think they cant go over 300k on the original battery pack? I can post links thats shows model S and 3s that have surpassed 300k with little degradation to the battery but I wont cause whats the point? Seems like you're just here to bash this thread.
oh.. please do post the links and show multiple owners have gone past 300k miles mark on their original battery. It's the only thing you can do to validate equal long term reliability/ownership cost of tesla/EV cost vs ICE cars. You won't post it because you are lying about your sources. And please don't accuse me of bashing this thread, I'm simply stating a valid point which you can't back up
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2023, 08:46 PM   #3038

Every vehicle has their shortcomings, thankfully we can vote with our wallet on the cars that suit our preferences.

Going back on topic - anyone going to the Fully Charged Show this weekend? Looks like they have some new cars there like the iD Buzz, BMW i5, Rivian, and new Kona EV on display.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2023, 08:57 PM   #3039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
If you can't figure out how to use the handles inside of a Tesla, you deserve to die in a fire. There is a button to press but if the battery fails for whatever reason, there is also a manual handle to pull that will open the door. Can't say i've heard of any stories of people being trapped in a burning car where the firefighters couldn't get them out. The only thing close to that that I heard of was the person in north vancouver who didn't know how to use the manual door release.
How do you call yourself a tesla fanboi let alone a tesla owner if you haven't heard about it?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/man-...ry?id=66498159

What I have posted so far are all facts, I even like some ideas of EVs/Teslas, but nothing is perfect. When I point out a clear flaw or a disadvantage of EV under a particular ownership scenario, a few of you get so butthurt, starts defending your car like there is no tomorrow, it's hilarious and laughable.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:21 PM   #3040
RabidMod

Thanked 1,116 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Every vehicle has their shortcomings, thankfully we can vote with our wallet on the cars that suit our preferences.

Going back on topic - anyone going to the Fully Charged Show this weekend? Looks like they have some new cars there like the iD Buzz, BMW i5, Rivian, and new Kona EV on display.
Ooh. If you go, report back! I'd like to know how the ID Buzz seems in person, esp if they have the 3-row version.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:26 PM   #3041

Quote:
How do you call yourself a tesla fanboi let alone a tesla owner if you haven't heard about it?

What I have posted so far are all facts, I even like some ideas of EVs/Teslas, but nothing is perfect. When I point out a clear flaw or a disadvantage of EV under a particular ownership scenario, a few of you get so butthurt, starts defending your car like there is no tomorrow, it's hilarious and laughable.
I don't call myself a fanboi, you guys do. I do like the Model 3 but i'd happily buy a different EV if it was better than the M3 at the same price and came with the NACS charge port.

Man, that sucks for that guy and his family but it's a story from 4 years ago so no, I hadn't heard about it. I did get my first EV in 2018 but never heard about it. I'm not sure why the manual release from inside of the vehicle wasn't working but there definitely seems to have been an issue with the Model S in specific cases during a crash. This doesn't paint all Tesla's with the same brush though as the Model S has very different door handles from the Model X and the Model 3/Y. The 3/Y use manual door handles on the outside and a button on the inside with a manual release on the inside in case of emergency.

EDIT: Upon reading an article on it from 2022 it looks like the guy may have been unconscious as it mentions "there is a mechanical back-up in place that can only be accessed from the inside of the vehicle", so it appears as if he was either un aware or unable to get the door open. I've never driven a model S but from what I understand, the regular door release on the inside is mechanical when the power is cut.

If you think that I was being butthurt/defending my car like there is no tomorrow, or w/e by your comments, your pretty delusional. I was pointing out how to get out of the vehicle when the battery fails, that's it.

Last edited by Koflach; 09-08-2023 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:43 PM   #3042

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Ooh. If you go, report back! I'd like to know how the ID Buzz seems in person, esp if they have the 3-row version.
I wont be going since I’ve been inside the Rivians and ID Buzz already, and I’ll be seeing the i5 in a separate event. But it’s cool that there’s a strong showing of upcoming EVs there.

I loved the ID Buzz even in the 2-row form I saw in LA last year. Really tempted to place a deposit, but I need to see the real deal first at the LA auto show later this year.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:54 PM   #3043

Quote:
I wont be going since I’ve been inside the Rivians and ID Buzz already, and I’ll be seeing the i5 in a separate event. But it’s cool that there’s a strong showing of upcoming EVs there.

I loved the ID Buzz even in the 2-row form I saw in LA last year. Really tempted to place a deposit, but I need to see the real deal first at the LA auto show later this year.
I love the look of the id buzz but damn, I hope they improve the software on it vs the id4. and get rid of the damn capacitive touch buttons, they suck.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2023, 10:50 PM   #3044
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:

I don't want to get into the whole fanboi discussion, but I will say this...

1. Teslas are designed with manual backups to open the door from inside in case of a power loss and it overrides any and all electronic control of the car. I personally dunno how anyone could miss it because for the first 3 days of ownership, my kids, wife and everyone who gone onto my Tesla have used the manual latch release because it was that obvious. I ended up putting a sticker on the button so people knows where to open the door.

2. It is perfectly possible that the manual release never got pulled. Whether it's the driver not knowing where it was/panicked and forgot/door got jammed... it doesn't matter. No car is perfect and every accident is different. Name me one car brand that guarantees their car's doors to function properly (open) in the event of an accident. It doesn't exist. No brand and design can guarantee such a function. That's why the Jaws of Life exists.
I value the safety of my family very much and I bought 2 Teslas (soon 3 and 4) because 3rd parties (IIHS, Euro NCAP... etc) test data/video convinced me and they all gave it top score. I say top because they are all class-leading in their respective categories. What does this ABCNews link you posted have scientifically? Nothing.

You keep asking for proof of whatever when in fact, the "sources" you post are shit.
"You can't wake someone who pretends to be sleeping." You choose to believe what you want to believe. It's your choice. Just respect other's opinion. And if you really want to "fact-check", I suggest you find better sources.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:39 PM   #3045
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:

Someone took a euro spec ID.Buzz to one of the car meets at Market Crossing last week. The story was the GM from Vancouver VW (on Main Street) managed to convince VW in Europe to send the ID.Buzz over to Vancouver. Apparently they have the van available for one year and should be in the showroom for display.

jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2023, 11:49 PM   #3046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

1. Teslas are designed with manual backups to open the door from inside in case of a power loss and it overrides any and all electronic control of the car. I personally dunno how anyone could miss it because for the first 3 days of ownership, my kids, wife and everyone who gone onto my Tesla have used the manual latch release because it was that obvious. I ended up putting a sticker on the button so people knows where to open the door.

2. It is perfectly possible that the manual release never got pulled. Whether it's the driver not knowing where it was/panicked and forgot/door got jammed... it doesn't matter. No car is perfect and every accident is different. Name me one car brand that guarantees their car's doors to function properly (open) in the event of an accident. It doesn't exist. No brand and design can guarantee such a function. That's why the Jaws of Life exists.
I value the safety of my family very much and I bought 2 Teslas (soon 3 and 4) because 3rd parties (IIHS, Euro NCAP... etc) test data/video convinced me and they all gave it top score. I say top because they are all class-leading in their respective categories. What does this ABCNews link you posted have scientifically? Nothing.

You keep asking for proof of whatever when in fact, the "sources" you post are shit.
"You can't wake someone who pretends to be sleeping." You choose to believe what you want to believe. It's your choice. Just respect other's opinion. And if you really want to "fact-check", I suggest you find better sources.
Name me one car brand that guarantees their car's doors to function properly (open) in the event of an accident. It doesn't exist except conventional door handle is least likely to malfunction, and tesla's design is most likely to malfunction, that's the point that's why it's a stupid, pointless and unsafe design.

Also, just remember next time you are in a serious crash, probably unconscious, when every second counts, you are way more likely to be stuck inside burning to death because 1st responder or firefighters can't figure out how to use your door handle to rescue you. or your door handle is already broken. Are you gonna teach them how to open your door when you are knocked out? The lack of common sense among you is scary, how can you convince yourself that is not a unsafe and stupid design?

I don't need to fact check my sources, at least I'm providing them, you guys are spewing bs from thin air, cough.. I have sources that show tesla have surpassed 300000km on their original batteries but I won't show them to you cough....

The irony of buying a tesla or EV in general for its safety, just look at the numbers of serious crashes Tesla's been in, how easily they ignite due to the lithium ion battery, and fire is literally impossible to put out once it is on. So you get into a serious crash, my tesla is so safe, I survived the initial impact, then you are literally igniting and burning to death right after, sounds fun.... if you truly value your family's safety, you shouldn't had bought two tesla's.

Last edited by is350; 09-09-2023 at 12:24 AM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2023, 02:47 AM   #3047
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,409 Times in 3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Someone took a euro spec ID.Buzz to one of the car meets at Market Crossing last week. The story was the GM from Vancouver VW (on Main Street) managed to convince VW in Europe to send the ID.Buzz over to Vancouver. Apparently they have the van available for one year and should be in the showroom for display.
I missed it but the van was at the Nanaimo VW dealership for a few days.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:41 AM   #3048
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:

To design a door handle that needs a manual backup is a marketing decision and not a functional one. If you want to make a selling point sure, but you cannot argue that it is a safer position when under duress, the backup handle won't be something that crosses your mind. Under duress, muscle memory takes over. Tesla paid extra R&D to make something that's less safe to upkeep that image of a tech company, but it wasn't made in the name of safety. A lot of the design decisions are made in the name of standing out and not in terms of functionality.

Tesla isn't the only one that's guilty of this. In the name of aero a lot of other car makers are making electronic handles that hide and are impossible to open from the outside if it malfunctions. Of course manual handles can fail too but it's one extra thing. Enough fun had been poked at Corvettes because people didn't know how to open the doors, ditto the issues with the McLaren fax machine where it won't open and brick itself when the battery is dead.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #3049

Thanked 2,184 Times in 967 Posts
Quote:
It ain't a Tesla discussion unless Hehe shows up to fellate Elon.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2023, 05:50 PM   #3050

Quote:
Name me one car brand that guarantees their car's doors to function properly (open) in the event of an accident. It doesn't exist except conventional door handle is least likely to malfunction, and tesla's design is most likely to malfunction, that's the point that's why it's a stupid, pointless and unsafe design.

Also, just remember next time you are in a serious crash, probably unconscious, when every second counts, you are way more likely to be stuck inside burning to death because 1st responder or firefighters can't figure out how to use your door handle to rescue you. or your door handle is already broken. Are you gonna teach them how to open your door when you are knocked out? The lack of common sense among you is scary, how can you convince yourself that is not a unsafe and stupid design?

I don't need to fact check my sources, at least I'm providing them, you guys are spewing bs from thin air, cough.. I have sources that show tesla have surpassed 300000km on their original batteries but I won't show them to you cough....

The irony of buying a tesla or EV in general for its safety, just look at the numbers of serious crashes Tesla's been in, how easily they ignite due to the lithium ion battery, and fire is literally impossible to put out once it is on. So you get into a serious crash, my tesla is so safe, I survived the initial impact, then you are literally igniting and burning to death right after, sounds fun.... if you truly value your family's safety, you shouldn't had bought two tesla's.
I know this may shock you but not every EV will just burst into flames when it gets in an accident. The accident in this article is about as serious as it gets and it speaks VOLUMES to the safety of the vehicle as everyone survived a 330' plunge off of a cliff. He was trying to kill himself and his family but choosing to do it in a Model Y prevented him from doing it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-doc-rcna85033

"Cal Fire officials said it was incredibly “rare” for anyone to survive such a steep fall. One expert described the family’s survival as “kind of a miracle, considering the impact severity.”

The white Tesla Model Y was visibly crushed on all sides after it barreled off Devil’s Slide, about 20 miles south of San Francisco, the morning of Jan. 2.

The car flipped over and landed on its wheels. Firefighters had to rappel to the scene, extricate the family and call for helicopters to hoist them to safety."