REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #676
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Deliveries for the Lucid Air have started. It's an interesting looking car but is the current king of the road for range.

https://insideevs.com/news/544452/lu...veries-begins/
Advertisement
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #677

Price on the Lucid Air models . I suppose the Air Touring would be competing with the Model S?
BlackV62K2 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #678
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, we need more EVs choices at the affordable end of the spectrum, not the super ultra luxury end.

With the 4680 battery, I hope we'll begin to see some cheaper cars from different manufacturers. But if you were a manufacturer and you suddenly see a 15% drop in your manufacturing costs, how much of that savings would you actually pass down to the consumer?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #679
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
There is this, but I haven't seen any real ones yet.

https://driving.ca/reviews/first-dri...58c1931c0/amp/
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #680

Call me biased -- but I have zero interest in a brand that has yet to prove themselves in after sales service and long term reliability. This isn't a $300 Chinese phone that I wouldn't mind breaking. It isn't a $3k beater, nor is it even a $30k car. If I am spending that much money on a piece of something, I am going to ask for some peace of mind that my purchase wouldn't suddenly get orphaned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
There is this, but I haven't seen any real ones yet.

https://driving.ca/reviews/first-dri...58c1931c0/amp/
Old 11-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, we need more EVs choices at the affordable end of the spectrum, not the super ultra luxury end.
I completely agree that we need more affordable over luxury but Tesla has proven a successful business model of starting with high end cars and for each vehicle after, come out with more and more affordable vehicles. You have to walk before you can run.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #682
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
I haven't looked into this but are there battery upgrades for older cars? Slap some lithium batteries into a leaf or imev?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #683
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Impossible to accomplish from a new manufacturer since affordable segment = volume seller. Give it another 5 years for EV tech to continue to trickle down to the more affordable models of mass manufacturers, but it's likely 10+ years before everyone turns into their parents and drives a beige corolla EV.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #684
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I haven't looked into this but are there battery upgrades for older cars? Slap some lithium batteries into a leaf or imev?
Yes and no.
A few companies have figured out a way to install the newer Leaf batteries into older Leafs.
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/17...han-200-miles/

Then you have the online debate about replacing bad cells in Tesla battery packs.
Rich Rebuilds was saying they were able to replace bad modules whereas others have said it gives off an error code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #685

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...h=c2088ac784d8

Good that Tesla is looking at opening up their charging stations to other EV brands.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-03-2021, 03:31 AM   #686
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...h=c2088ac784d8

Good that Tesla is looking at opening up their charging stations to other EV brands.
They use CCS over there for tesla so it's an easy switch. However it's a different story here in NA. So it comes down to pricing and cost of adaptors.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Speed View Post
They use CCS over there for tesla so it's an easy switch. However it's a different story here in NA. So it comes down to pricing and cost of adaptors.
I wonder when someone will step up and make it so that there is 1 plug that is industry standard.
It's very annoying that there are 4 different plugs. The good thing is it looks like Chademo is on it's way out so that leaves 3.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #688
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
I wonder when someone will step up and make it so that there is 1 plug that is industry standard.
It's very annoying that there are 4 different plugs. The good thing is it looks like Chademo is on it's way out so that leaves 3.
That's before Apple comes out with their car
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #689

Quote:
Considering how long it took the smart phone industry to mostly converge to a single type of connector, I'd say the chances of that happening is next no nil -- unless at least several major western countries begin to legislate a standardization.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #690
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Anyone going to the Porsche Taycan driving experience event on Nov 5/6? I don't have the money for one but I still want to try driving one. Will be there Sat Nov 6 at 11AM.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #691

Quote:
Considering how long it took the smart phone industry to mostly converge to a single type of connector, I'd say the chances of that happening is next no nil -- unless at least several major western countries begin to legislate a standardization.
At least there is only 2 for cell phones. USB-C and the Iphone Lightening cables.

Can you imagine if they came out with 2 or more different nozzles to fill gas in ICE cars.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #692

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Model 3 SR+ now comes with more range, rear heated seats and heated steering wheel. 0-100 has gone up from 5.6 to 6.1 seconds due to extra weight.
Pic borrowed from Reddit

determine screen size
Old 11-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #693
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
The only way we are going to get one connector is via government regulation. Before the EU stepped in we use to have a ton of different charging cables for phones. We are now down to 2 and soon 1 because the EU is forcing everyone to use USB-C.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #694

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
I don't think the EU had anything to do with the cable changes in the past 20 years. We honestly just had a bunch of shitty connectors that got phased out due to hitting bandwidth bottlenecks.

Mini/Micro/32/Serial/the weird round mouse and keyboard one. Those were all just straight-up trash but there was nothing better at the time. Personal devices were all a pretty new market so there was no standardization at all. The EU didn't really have anything to do with the changes back then.

AUX, Serial, HDMI, DP, the square printer one, the weird Sata on the Galaxy S, VGA, DVI....

Last edited by trollface; 11-03-2021 at 12:32 PM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
I don't think the EU had anything to do with the cable changes in the past 20 years. We honestly just had a bunch of shitty connectors that got phased out due to hitting bandwidth bottlenecks.

Mini/Micro/32/Serial/the weird round mouse and keyboard one. Those were all just straight-up trash but there was nothing better at the time. Personal devices were all a pretty new market so there was no standardization at all. The EU didn't really have anything to do with the changes back then.

AUX, Serial, HDMI, DP, the square printer one, the weird Sata on the Galaxy S, VGA, DVI....
You mis-read what Manic is saying.
If the EU had their way, every phone will be using USB-C, including iphones.
But you are correct, micro USB was replaced by USB-C due to better speeds.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #696

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
I honestly don't think we need to legislate anything in regards to phones.

Let's be honest, the company we're talking about here is Apple and their lightning. Most phones sold now are all on USB-C. A lot of Apple products are already moving to C (ipads) etc. This EU push is going to be pretty moot in about 1-2 years when Iphones make the switch IMO. 90% of their products are already C.

I personally don't like lighting, but I am also not a huge fan of govt telling companies how to design tech products. Most of the people making these laws don't even know the Iphone isn't made by Google and openly calls the the CEO Tim Apple in front of Congress.

Do we really want ppl as old as Stonehenge making these laws?

I feel like EV is in the same boat as the early 2000's when it comes to laptops/phones/mp3 players. No one has any idea what's going on, what works, what doesn't. Everyone just wants to be first to market to grab customers. I thnk we'll see a natural progression and standardization on the plug when the market/tech matures a little. The EV market is VERY new compared to the IC.

Let's be honest here, in order for EV to work, we need mass adoption propelled by infrastructure that will support it (charging stations etc). It's really in everyone's interest to agree on one so you don't have to foot the entire bill of creating this system on your own dime. No one is going to buy a car from you if you can only charge it at your stations, it's kind of suicide. Tesla is even letting other cars use their stations now and it makes perfect sense.

I honestly think this problem will take care of itself when all the manufacturers get a few more years under their belts. You can stick a Canadian 120v appliance into a 220v socket and blow it up, I imagine a lot of these problems apply to the EV world. These problems can be solved, but that means costs, which may make your pricepoint too high, or you've got no product to deliver when your competition is grabbing market share in a market that's on FIRE.

The first gas car came out in 1885, the first gas pump that resembles our modern pump didn't appear till 1913.

Last edited by trollface; 11-03-2021 at 02:30 PM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #697
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common...l_power_supply

Quote:
In 2009, a European Commission initiative resulted in the specification of a common external power supply (common EPS) for use with data-enabled mobile phones sold in the European Union. The external power supply is the AC electric power adapter that converts household AC electricity voltages to the much lower DC voltages needed to charge a mobile phone's internal battery. Although compliance is voluntary, a majority of the world's largest mobile phone manufacturers agreed to make their applicable mobile phones compatible with Europe's common external power supply specification (EN 62684:2010).
https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/23/eu...r-for-mobiles/

Quote:
EU lawmakers are finally set to standardize charging ports for consumer electronics devices like smartphones and tablets — announcing a proposal today that, once adopted, will see the region settle on USB-C as a universal charging port for gadgets which will also include cameras, headphones, portable speakers and handheld videogames consoles.

Some smaller consumer electronics devices — like smart watches and fitness bands — are being excluded owing to factors like their size and conditions of use.

Last edited by Manic!; 11-03-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2021, 03:12 AM   #698
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
But that leaves all these EVs with Chademo with no quick charger.

Standardization without govt will be impossible. Every manufacturer will say one is superior than the other. Look at the smartphone, all andriod are now Type C and Apple is their lighting plug. EU had them mandated to ship with microUSB then....apple had to ship with USB cable and a lighting adaptor.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:03 AM   #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Speed View Post
But that leaves all these EVs with Chademo with no quick charger.
Trollface isn't wrong.
At one point in time there was the great VHS vs Beta debate.
Beta was superior but VHS won.
Recently, there was Blu ray vs HD DVD's and Blue ray won out.

Chademo cars will eventually need an adaptor to charge at a Tesla supercharger just like Tesla's needing an adaptor to charge at DC fast chargers or on a level 2 charger with a J plug.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #700

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Ioniq 5 price released
https://insideevs.com/news/545577/hy...prices-canada/