REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #726
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Well these definitely seem doable on a HELOC unless you own a one bed apartment. Price of a model y.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...399958673.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...403049953.html
Advertisement
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:36 AM   #727
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Be sure to get yourself a nice meaningful drive in both a Cayman and a 911 before coming down to a conclusive decision on which one you prefer. Both are fantastic cars, although the early Caymans could certainly use a little more power. Still, I had the Porsche bug planted deep in me when I had an opportunity to drive a 987.1 Cayman S at the track. It could easily use (and handle) an extra 50hp, but the handling is so sublime and intuitive that I was instantly sold. And at the time, I was already driving a nicely modified Miata, so I was no stranger to how good handling cars behave.

The 911 drives quite differently than the Cayman, esp the 996 and 997. You really feel that weight out in the back, and it is a different experience. Technically, the MR layout is supposed to be "better", but subjectively, it really just comes down to what you like better.

I would never recommend anyone to go beyond their means just to purchase a car -- it is one of the least financially responsible thing anyone can do. But have you looked into how viable it is to finance your Porsche through HELOC? With interest rates the way they are sitting right now, borrowing costs are really quite minimal. So if you are comfortable with your family's finances and job security, it could be your ticket to bring that Porsche home. I actually know more than 1 person who are doing exactly just that -- take out a HELOC, and used the money to fund a Porsche purchase.

I used to think it was important to pay down the mortgage -- that is to say, pay it off way before the full 30 year duration it was supposed to last. And my wife and I have made some lump sum payments into it in the past when we had some wiggle room. But nowadays, I have absolutely no desire to pay a cent more than what my bi-weekly payment requires because I fully intend to blow that money on a Porsche instead. I'm on "the wrong side" of 40, and delayed gratification doesn't make nearly as much sense as it did in my 20's and 30's anymore.

I hope I'll see you in your Cayman R / 996 / 997 / 997.2 GT3 some time.
Except Covid had made buying vehicles a viable investment...LOL

I also agree that a Cayman is a very good handling. I personally think it out perform 911 in value.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #728
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
I was there at Porsche Vancouver earlier yesterday. I have to say it is so far beyond my means that it is not even remotely funny. Kind of disheartnening...

Vehicle itself was great, it was just the base 4S with chrono pkg. We took the 5min test drive and when the sales was pointing me back to the dealership, I asked him if I could take it for another round. He then just said, I will take you on the extended route. The test drive ended up lasting 25min. I took a photo when I first got in, so had a timestamp of when I started lol.

Sales was boasting how the Tycan had sufficient cooling that you can launch the cars multiple times. We ended up doing it a few times, and even just the 4S felt other worldly fast.

He told me that the avg Taycan that goes out the door is abt 150k + taxes. I told him, at 150k I would get a 911 GTS. He said GTS pushes 200k... He said 150k will get me a "rather use-able" 911 carrera S.

150k pre-taxed Porsche gets you.. $0 down, $3300/mth + tax (so about $3700) a month on a 36 month lease. Factor in insurnace + gas (if its not the Tycan) and you will be looking at an easy $5k on a car every month.

I know Revscene is full of ballers. But I am no where near being able to afford 5K a month on a car. Not even remotely close, my only chance would be to start some investments now and hopefully by the time I retire, the investment is enough to just out right buy out a car of that caliper.

Really brings things to perspective, looking at my expenses and mortgage. I told my wife that Porsche ownership is probably out of the question for the next decade, if not 2 decades loool

**Edit: great motivator for sure, to really make you think, you only live once, you really should try your hardest to not have any regrets...

///end rant
Yeah, I can't justify buying a 150K+ car... I was there for shits and giggles. Pretty much told the sales that, they didn't care lol. I guess it is aspirational, but I'm more likely to buy a used Cayman/Boxster, as that's more "achievable" for me in the future.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #729
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
considering getting an ev now since wife started a new job and took my car for work. for those with detached garage, what options are there to install an outlet for EV?
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #730
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,067 Times in 556 Posts
I am blessed that my parents and my inlaws gave us enough for a downpayment, so we got into the market relatively early

spending most of my income on a P car is one thing (parents will most defn kill me), to take a HELOC for a P car is something entirely different (parents wont just kill me, but my body will be unrecognizable by forensics).....

hahahaha. But yes, the interest is so low that I was telling my wife, taking out HELOC and just doing super basic investing will yeild more $$$ than the interest incurs... we have started doing that in the recent year, and so far... so good (knock on wood).

one thing EVO ownership VS Miata ownership has taught me is that I actually have way more fun in the miata. Driving a slow car fast is defn the way to go.

Also the looming costs of brakes, tires is always on the back of my mind whenever I think of track days when I had the EVO. The car was so taxing on the brakes (especially at mission) that you will go thru 35% of pads in a single track day....and then the tires, 275/35/18s are well.... not inexpensive....It felt super guilty every single time. I guess I am just poor lolol.

On the other hand, the miata experience is great. I can gun it in the city with my 85rwhp everywhere I go. Gas is cheap, brakes are cheap, tires are like free (comparatively). I can enjoy the car without guilt.

So yea... in conclusion, even if I somewhere did the dumb thing and got into a P car, I think it will be a very similar experience to my EVO ownership experience but 10Xs worse. lolol, I will probably never take it to a track day, because I wouldnt be able to afford it to keep it running.

One day... one day... now just need to keep my head down and work harder...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #731
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

We are in need of a larger family vehicle to haul child + future children in.

Looking for a 5 seater, mid size SUV, German, used.
Any electric/hybrid options available for me?

I see hybrid 2018 X5's on the market for 40+.
I see a rare 2020 GLE450 hybrid which run about 80k.
I see Cayenne hybrids for baller amounts of $ (out of my range).
I see hybrid q5 2020 PHEV for 60k range.

Any thing else ?
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:24 AM   #732
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
Audi etron and X5 edrive45? Aren't a whole lot of choices.

I'm personally interested in the X5 and the Cayenne but I has no monies.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #733

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
I was there at Porsche Vancouver earlier yesterday. I have to say it is so far beyond my means that it is not even remotely funny. Kind of disheartnening...

Vehicle itself was great, it was just the base 4S with chrono pkg. We took the 5min test drive and when the sales was pointing me back to the dealership, I asked him if I could take it for another round. He then just said, I will take you on the extended route. The test drive ended up lasting 25min. I took a photo when I first got in, so had a timestamp of when I started lol.

Sales was boasting how the Tycan had sufficient cooling that you can launch the cars multiple times. We ended up doing it a few times, and even just the 4S felt other worldly fast.

He told me that the avg Taycan that goes out the door is abt 150k + taxes. I told him, at 150k I would get a 911 GTS. He said GTS pushes 200k... He said 150k will get me a "rather use-able" 911 carrera S.

150k pre-taxed Porsche gets you.. $0 down, $3300/mth + tax (so about $3700) a month on a 36 month lease. Factor in insurnace + gas (if its not the Tycan) and you will be looking at an easy $5k on a car every month.

I know Revscene is full of ballers. But I am no where near being able to afford 5K a month on a car. Not even remotely close, my only chance would be to start some investments now and hopefully by the time I retire, the investment is enough to just out right buy out a car of that caliper.

Really brings things to perspective, looking at my expenses and mortgage. I told my wife that Porsche ownership is probably out of the question for the next decade, if not 2 decades loool

**Edit: great motivator for sure, to really make you think, you only live once, you really should try your hardest to not have any regrets...

///end rant
I was there on the Friday and took a spin in the chalk Cross Turismo which was basically the spec I'd get one in if I ever got into a Taycan. Very nice car but I still have my eyes set on a 911S or 718 GTS 4.0 right now. I'd really like to buy new to get it exactly the way I want it and do the whole European delivery thing but it's going to be a car I drive once a week so kinda wrestling with how to justify $150-200k on a garage queen - I'm in the category of income that it's a once in a lifetime purchase, not a once every 3 years purchase (those folks with multiple 992s are nuts).

Maybe I'll just end up in a Macan EV instead and split the diff. I bet the Macan EV will be an absolute hoot and sell like crazy.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #734

Why German doe? There's always the new Outlander phev for us poor folk that wants 0% financing and 10 year warranty new one is 7 seater too more room for hoes
Old 11-09-2021, 11:02 AM   #735
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Why German doe? There's always the new Outlander phev for us poor folk that wants 0% financing and 10 year warranty new one is 7 seater too more room for hoes
If only it was full EV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:07 AM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I think I might rather drink bleach than be caught in a modern Mitsubishi. Maybe not the Outlander but that is some sad product lineup right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Maybe I'll just end up in a Macan EV instead and split the diff. I bet the Macan EV will be an absolute hoot and sell like crazy.
The lease on my Leaf is up in 2 years and after having the Leaf, I love how quiet and smooth EV's are.
But for my next car, I want an SUV so either I go Cayenne Hybrid or the Macan EV. Fingers crossed on the latter.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #738
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
But for my next car, I want an SUV so either I go Cayenne Hybrid or the Macan EV. Fingers crossed on the latter.
If the Macan EV is what you're thinking of, you better head over to the Porsche dealership soon and put a deposit down sooner rather than later. Given the expected demand and chip shortage, I think there is gonna be a quite a waitlist for it.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #739

Quote:
If the Macan EV is what you're thinking of, you better head over to the Porsche dealership soon and put a deposit down sooner rather than later. Given the expected demand and chip shortage, I think there is gonna be a quite a waitlist for it.
That's a good point.
Time to head downtown and give Crystal a visit.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #740

Quote:
That's a good point.
Time to head downtown and give Crystal a visit.
Is Crystal the one to talk to at PCV?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #741

Quote:
She's one of the better looking sales people at PCV
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #742
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
I've interacted with Derrick at PCV a whole bunch of times, and he has been super helpful and professional despite me being a tire kicker bombarding him with tons of questions.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #743

Quote:
I've interacted with Derrick at PCV a whole bunch of times, and he has been super helpful and professional despite me being a tire kicker bombarding him with tons of questions.
It's too bad Tofu doesn't sell P cars.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #744

There's also Nx450h+ but who knows when that will land like 2026? And the new range rover has phev too but more than I can afford. Oooo what about a used ipace. Those still look pretty cool to me and it's not like model y that's so mainstream.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #745

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...403173316.html
Old 11-09-2021, 02:12 PM   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Speed View Post
It isn't a right or wrong. Govt interventions will definitely speed things up. Tesla are CCS around the world except NA...that speaks volume govt regulation is needed.
I don't think government interventions is necessary.
It's just a matter of time for the technology to catch up.
Japan adapted Chademo because that was what they thought they needed.
Now CCS has shown it is superior to Chademo and soon no car company will be using it.

As we learn more about charging batteries, companies are moving to higher charging rates for quick charges.
Maybe within our lifetime, a 5 min charge will get you up to 80%.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #747
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
God, must be awful to be her and deal with the types that come in there lol
Old 11-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
God, must be awful to be her and deal with the types that come in there lol
Cries into her commission cheque every month.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2021, 01:20 AM   #749
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I won't comment on the above posts about my colleagues but I am happy to help anyone looking into Porsche also.

We are taking deposits on Macan E already and have a handful in line so if anyone is looking to secure one early now is the time. Thing is, it is still not officially revealed yet so maybe still 2+ years away.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2021, 02:34 AM   #750
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
I don't think government interventions is necessary.
It's just a matter of time for the technology to catch up.
Japan adapted Chademo because that was what they thought they needed.
Now CCS has shown it is superior to Chademo and soon no car company will be using it.

As we learn more about charging batteries, companies are moving to higher charging rates for quick charges.
Maybe within our lifetime, a 5 min charge will get you up to 80%.
Nothing is necessary in the long run. Gov't intervention is the catalyst to standardize the plug. Even location of the plug could also be standardized. Vehicles aren't like cellphones or tablets that can replace easily.

Yes as the different plugs phrased out, there will be adaptors produced to make the new plug compatible but the cost will be high (look at Tesla to Chademo $500+).
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote