REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #451
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
The CTR overheated as some of them are reportedly doing so now
Overheating? Do you mean the engine getting overheated? As in, CEL coming one and car goes into limp mode type of thing?

To have that coming from Honda... Wow... I just gotta say I am really surprised...
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #452
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Overheating? Do you mean the engine getting overheated? As in, CEL coming one and car goes into limp mode type of thing?

To have that coming from Honda... Wow... I just gotta say I am really surprised...
Yes, engine cooling temps. No limp mode but the gauge creeps up to the H limit pretty quick apparently. Throw the heater on and it goes down. People are speculating that it may be a kinked hose or something tied to the cooling system. The trans cooler is linked to the rest of the cooling system so it may be overworking it. Honda knows about it and is now gathering data from the test mules(people that have purchased the car already).

One reason I never buy the first year of a new vehicle. Let the hype kings work out the bugs then buy it a couple years later once the manufacturer has worked out the issues.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #453
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Any idea that kind of lap times a stock CTR gets at mission?
Ronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #454
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
Wondered if the owner was here lol saw it a few times delivering to the store (fedex) but now im over at VTC ;o
Haha I do drive it around Gilmore, Willingdon pretty often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality View Post
I can personally attest to how incredibly maddening it is to drive a 350z with an open diff. Worst idea ever. That said, if you are open to mods, that base 370z is still a lot of car for the money. If you are mechanically inclined then adding a new diff, and upgrading brakes isn't that big a deal.
Yea, and I feel the $34k one is good too if you just want the 370z with sport brakes and LSD. At that price point though it's arguably a good deal vs the Toyota 86. But then The 86 does have its own chassis, whereas the 370z is just another platform sharing car.

Quote:
Yes, engine cooling temps. No limp mode but the gauge creeps up to the H limit pretty quick apparently. Throw the heater on and it goes down. People are speculating that it may be a kinked hose or something tied to the cooling system. The trans cooler is linked to the rest of the cooling system so it may be overworking it. Honda knows about it and is now gathering data from the test mules(people that have purchased the car already).

One reason I never buy the first year of a new vehicle. Let the hype kings work out the bugs then buy it a couple years later once the manufacturer has worked out the issues.
Yea, Evasive Motorsport from the US ran into overheating issue on Buttonwillow CW13. On the other hand, Raceline USA took a different CTR onto the same track for 2 days, and didn't experience any cooling issue. Mind you they ran an even faster time than Evasive Motorsport, stock vs stock.

I'd imagine if it's a design flaw, all CTRs would have overheating issue. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. Hopefully Honda can find out the root cause.
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #455

It is a random occurrence at this point as not all CTR's that have seen the track have shown these symptoms. Perhaps a build oversight during a certain time point while being assembled or a faulty/cheap part failing. Honda is still gathering data IIRC.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #456
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
why cant they bring back the 240sx with an sr20det in it...... im still living in the 90's.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #457
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Wish I knew who you were as I would have said hi!. Looks like you were in the tower at T3. The CTR overheated as some of them are reportedly doing so now and the condom tires weren't the greatest idea from Honda either.
Haha yes I was! Guessing you saw my car parked on the other side of the wall at T3 :P Which car were you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #458
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronac View Post
Any idea that kind of lap times a stock CTR gets at mission?

Here is another CTR that ran at mission

Same owner has a STI as well and the ctr is running 2 sec faster stock vs stock
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #459

That's pretty fast, both of you guys.

Is the owner Gary?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #460
Need to Seek Professional Help

That looked like fun! Great driving~
I have never been to mission, but those concrete walls scare me... :/
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #461
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
it's great to see CTRs taking advantage of the track season

but engine break-in regimen is a thing of the past?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #462
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
^I think it said somewhere CTRs are broken in at factory.

That said, when I bought my 10th gen Civic the manual explicitly said to try and stay under 4k rpm and no WOT until 1000km.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 PM   #463
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,755 Times in 3,869 Posts
That's a whole nother discussion about how to break in a motor. Most manufacturers say stay under 5000rpm, don't give more than 75% throttle and don't drive at sustained rpm (like highway) for the first 1000mi
Old 08-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Haha yes I was! Guessing you saw my car parked on the other side of the wall at T3 :P Which car were you in?
White ITR with black wheels. I was out there with the black Porsche Boxster/Cayman and white R35 GTR in the green group. I only did two sessions as I had lug nut issues. Good day all in all though.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #465
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,755 Times in 3,869 Posts
Care to say what the lug nut issue was? Were you using those aftermarket aluminum ones? Just a random guess, those things always sketch me out
Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Care to say what the lug nut issue was? Were you using those aftermarket aluminum ones? Just a random guess, those things always sketch me out
Lugs backed out on track. ARP extended studs FTW. Pretty scary to say the least. The aluminum lugs have a tendency to stretch over time after being torqued so much. I switch my wheels quite frequently so that was most likely the issue. I'd had them for like 7 years though. Time for Project KICS with the retainer to avoid scratching the wheel.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #467

Wow that's pretty scary. You weren't able to just grab some new nuts from Canadian Tire or Lordco to finisht he rest of the track day?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #468
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Lugs backed out on track. ARP extended studs FTW. Pretty scary to say the least. The aluminum lugs have a tendency to stretch over time after being torqued so much. I switch my wheels quite frequently so that was most likely the issue. I'd had them for like 7 years though. Time for Project KICS with the retainer to avoid scratching the wheel.
you noob! haha

chromoly or steel lugs. aluminum lugs will stretch
Old 08-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #469
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
why cant they bring back the 240sx with an sr20det in it...... im still living in the 90's.
There's an 86 for that. Granted that it's no Nissan, but Nissan doesn't seem interested in offering any sports cars below the Z.

Swap away!

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=10857
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronac View Post
Wow that's pretty scary. You weren't able to just grab some new nuts from Canadian Tire or Lordco to finisht he rest of the track day?
Yeah, it was a bit scary. I was tired at that point and then ate lunch so decided to just chill. It's nice to chat with people I haven't seen in a while so just being social at the track and watching is good enough most times. I could have gone back out after everything was rechecked but I was drained and it was hot out and going out on the track when you're tired is not the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
you noob! haha

chromoly or steel lugs. aluminum lugs will stretch
Totally right?! Ha! I used steel open-ended ball seat type when my stock wheels were my track wheels but switched when I started running aftermarket wheels this season. Lesson: re-torque your lug nuts after every session.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #471
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Wish I could have brought my car to this track day - visited in my work truck, and was there when the CTR got there. Was nice to see one up close in person, and see it in action on the track. Shoulda taken the Super Duty work truck for a few laps lol
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #472
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

anyone test drive the civic type R yet ?

how is it?
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #473
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

At the moment I don't think test drive is possible unless you are actually buying it. There just aren't any available as far as I know, with each dealership expecting one or two units coming in for September. Most of these are reserved.

It's a great daily driver - comfortable, practical with quite a bit of cargo volume, decent feature list, reasonable good fuel mileage (9.4L/100km so far with AC on 90% of the time). I would have no trouble driving it on a road trip (ie. Wife won't complain the car is too loud or the ride is too firm, etc).

Haven't driven on a track yet but in the few occasions where I was able to go a bit faster through certain turns, it feels great and seems like the limit is very high and it's very confidence inspiring. It can do over 1g after all.

Turbo lag can be felt but only very little. It pulls hard as suggested by its 108mph 1/4 mile trap speed. Despite putting down 300lb ft to the front wheels, torque steer is nonexistent.
Brakes squeal sometimes when close to a complete stop but the feel is great and it's progressive and firm. Road test results show it had the shortest braking distance in its class.

Shifter is pure Honda quality with accurate, clearly defined slots and a short throw. I would say though my s2000 has even shorter throw and feels even better.
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #474
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Apparently they're now buy one get one free too

Old 08-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #475
HELP ME PLS!!!

BeefCake4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: