REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
North Korea Hydrogen Bomb?

So North Korea tested a bomb yesterday, which they claim is an H-Bomb

The detonation rated a 5.1 quake, which is the same as their previous nuclear tests

Now, many countries are in doubt it was a Hydrogen bomb, but countries are still looking into it, but if it turns out to be true, that's a significant leap in tech and damage power that North Korea has been able to put together

North Korea nuclear H-bomb claims met by scepticism - BBC News

Quote:
International scepticism and condemnation have greeted North Korea's claim to have successfully carried out an underground hydrogen bomb test.

If confirmed, it would be North Korea's fourth nuclear test since 2006 and mark a major upgrade in its capabilities.

But nuclear experts have questioned whether the size of the blast was large enough to have been from an H-bomb.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon condemned the test "unequivocally", calling it "profoundly destabilising for regional security".

The UN Security Council is now holding an emergency meeting.

How the world has reacted

South Korea called the test a "grave provocation" but said it was difficult to believe it was an H-bomb.

Hydrogen bombs are more powerful and technologically advanced than atomic weapons, using fusion - the merging of atoms - to unleash massive amounts of energy.

Atomic bombs, like the kind that devastated two Japanese cities in World War Two, use fission, or the splitting of atoms.

Bruce Bennett, an analyst with the Rand Corporation, was among those casting doubts on Pyongyang's test: "The bang they should have gotten would have been 10 times greater than what they're claiming.

"So Kim Jong-un is either lying, saying they did a hydrogen test when they didn't, they just used a little bit more efficient fission weapon - or the hydrogen part of the test really didn't work very well or the fission part didn't work very well."

The data "doesn't support suggestions that the bomb was a hydrogen bomb", Chinese military expert Du Wenlong told state broadcaster CCTV.

A South Korean politician, Lee Cheol-woo, said he was briefed by the country's intelligence agency that the blast "probably falls short" of a hydrogen detonation.

But former British ambassador in Pyongyang John Everard warned "an explosion of that size is quite enough to wipe out a city and I think that, of course, is deeply worrying".

South Korean President Park Geun-hye, said further analysis was needed to determine the nature of the test, while calling it "a strong challenge to international peace and stability".

In other reaction:

China, North Korea's main ally, said it "firmly opposes" the test

Japan called it a "major threat" to its national security

The US and South Korea agreed that "North Korea's provocations should have consequences"

Russia warned the action could amount to "a severe violation of international law", calling for the resumption of talks

The EU urged North Korea "cease this illegal and dangerous behaviour''

Nato said North Korea should abandon nuclear weapons

Heading into the UN meeting, Mr Ban said the test was "deeply troubling and "a grave contravention of international norms".

The UK ambassador to the UN, Matthew Rycroft, said: "We will be working with others on a resolution on further sanctions."

The rhetoric from the North Korean media was spectacular, announcing the country had carried out a "world startling event" - the underground test of a hydrogen bomb.

"People of the DPRK are making a giant stride, performing eye-catching miracles and exploits day by day," state media said.

That North Korea is still living with its predictable 1950s post-Korean War world view, where the US is the prime aggressor, was made clear too.

"The US is a gang of cruel robbers which has worked hard to bring even a nuclear disaster to the DPRK."

But despite the rhetoric, outside experts are sceptical about how much of a giant stride had been made.

What is not in doubt is the determination of Pyongyang to go down the nuclear path despite widespread condemnation the last time it tested a device.

North Korea's dramatic rhetoric

Suspicions first emerged when an earthquake was registered near the Punggye-ri nuclear site in North Korea at 10:00 Pyongyang time (01:30 GMT), with the tremors rattling Chinese border cities.

Hours later, in a surprise announcement, a newsreader on North Korean state TV said: "The republic's first hydrogen bomb test has been successfully performed at 10:00 am on January 6, 2016."

A note signed by North Korea leader Kim Jong-un authorising the test said 2016 should begin with the "stirring explosive sound" of a hydrogen bomb.
It could be days or weeks before independent tests are able to verify or dismiss the recent claim.

Both China and Japan are reported to have been trying to detect radiation.
North Korea carried out the first of its three previous nuclear tests in 2006, making it one of the few nuclear-armed nations on Earth.

Can North Korea now launch a nuclear missile?

Despite North Korea's claims, experts are sceptical that North Korea can make a nuclear weapon small enough to fit on a missile.

What do we know about the latest test?

Observers agree a nuclear explosion of some kind took place and it seems to have been a bit bigger than the last test in 2013, but not nearly big enough to be a full thermonuclear explosion - an "H-bomb" - as Pyongyang claims.

Why can't the world stop North Korea?

North Korea has a determination to defy both world opinion and heavy sanctions to reach its nuclear goal. Crucially, its main ally, China, has proved either unwilling or unable to help.
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Probably just Kim Jong-Un's bottled fart

no concerns here
theyve been playing this game for so long...do people really still give a shit about DPRK
those uniformed mud peasants rattle their sabres when theyre short on shit all the time
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Most parts of the world doesn't give a shxt about DPRK -- unless you happen to be Seoul, which is only 56km away from the North-South Korean border. Seoul also happens to be one of the most densely populated mega city. For obvious reasons, Japan is also rather concerned.

With Korea and Japan both being the US' primary allies in Asia, the US is forced to at least divert some attention to this whiny country every time it throws a temper tantrum.

It'd sure be nice if SEAL can pull off another bin Laden style secret op on the Fat Boy.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

with all the executions he's been handing out on the top members of his government, i wonder if this is just some attempt at expressing Kimmy still has things in order
Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Only a concern for surrounding countries really snd it sounds like not even they should be too worried

Funny how you can make a shitty h bomb relatively easy but ICBM's are impossible
Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Only a concern for surrounding countries really snd it sounds like not even they should be too worried

Funny how you can make a shitty h bomb relatively easy but ICBM's are impossible
they could pull a japan circa ww2, and tie it to a balloon and float it over
Old 01-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
crazy

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
no video footage?,yeah okay.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

nope, just the earthquake detection and north koreas claims

that's why countries like japan are going to fly over and do some tests, air samples? photos?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Listen to the wave file for this event and compare it to other events.
IRIS: MB5.1 North Korea
IRIS: Events in the Last 24 Hours
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #11

North Korea also showcased their ballistic missile firing capabilities from submarines

turn the volume down

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-no...0UK02P20160106

North Korea 'successfully fired ballistic missile from submarine' just weeks before claimed hydrogen bomb test | Asia | News | The Independent

and South Korea has responded to these events by resuming broadcasts into the North

South Korea resumes propaganda broadcasts to North over tests - BBC News
Old 01-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

Just imagine if north Korea had oil and said these things.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #13

Almost more Surprising they have subs than ballistic missles
Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
no results on the air tests yet?.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

North Korea is like a Chihuahua barking at some Great Danes.
CorollaXRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
no results on the air tests yet?.
haven't read anything about it since, latest info is a japanese general stating he doubts it was a hydrogen because a hydrogen bomb test would result in a 6to7 scale quake not a 4.5-5.1 that was detected with north koreas bomb (different results between agencies and nations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorollaXRS View Post
North Korea is like a Chihuahua barking at some Great Danes.
Chihuahuas are vicious :/
Old 01-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

Chihuahuas are vicious :/
Yeah, but they're easy to kick clear across the room.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
On a global scale, what can North Korea really do? If they tried something wouldn't they just get bitch slapped by basically everyone? They can't even feed their population. How well would an impoverished nation fight against 10 seriously wealthy ones?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
On a global scale, what can North Korea really do? If they tried something wouldn't they just get bitch slapped by basically everyone? They can't even feed their population. How well would an impoverished nation fight against 10 seriously wealthy ones?
Except that there are alliances between NK, China, and Russia.

If the South is going to get help from the US or even Japan. You can bet that NK is getting help with China and Russia.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^ I don't think China would intervene if it meant fighting the US. I know during the Korean War they did, but nowadays they only want NK to be there as a buffer to American Allies such as SK and Japan. Russia on the other hand seems to be trying to reignite the cold war and teaming up with the US' enemies. If anything I can see Russia & NK vs US & SK. China will likely threaten both sides if a war escalates, and be important in securing peace which will leave us with the same seperated Korea.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Regardless of how much they can do on a global scale, they have an easy 10M people over at Seoul for ransom. That alone is significant enough on any scale.

If Chubby Kim is dumb enough to really start anything, I suspect that leaves Korea, Japan, and US with only one choice -- they will set out to indiscriminately wipe out all military installations in DPRK as a means to prevent / minimize DPRK's use of any possible nuclear weapon. Effectively, this will flatten DPRK and end Chubby Kim's reign once and for all.

This most recent hydrogen bomb testing is also different for China compared to most other temper tantrums DPRK has thrown in the past. For the first time in quite a long time, China came out to explicitly condemn DPRK's action. In the past, they will only use some much softer language -- perhaps expressing regret that the situation has turned out like this, or urge all sides involved to calm down and resolve the matter diplomatically.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #22

Just get a joint coalition and flatten the whole country.

I know there are other tyrannical regimes around the world but no one pesters everyone like NK does
Old 01-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

I know there are other tyrannical regimes around the world but no one pesters everyone like NK does
NOBODY gains anything from North Korea falling, it'd probably cause a world recession. South Korea's economy would collapse with the influx of unskilled North Koreans into the population. If the South Korean economy collapses it'll be a trickle down effect to the rest of Asia and then the world. Nobody wants that.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #24

Quote:

well there's china which is declaring the entire oceans/seas/etc of asia/south east asia as their space

and there's the us destabilizing the middle east and bombing everyone, including us citizens

but yes North Korea is really annoying, especially since they don't seem to give a rats ass in pulling the 'we have nukes and we'll use them' card... although, thankfully, they haven't been crazy enough to actually use them
Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 AM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

Bump

-----------------------------------------

North Korea threatens nuke strike on US: Video

Quote:
North Korea has threatened to launch a nuclear strike on Washington if the United States provokes the North, a video shows.

The North released a four-minute video titled “Last Chance” on Saturday which uses computer animation to show a ballistic missile hitting Washington.

The video shows that the intercontinental ballistic missile flies through the earth’s atmosphere and slams into Washington near what appears to be the Lincoln Memorial, and then a nuclear explosion follows.

“If the American imperialists provoke us a bit, we will not hesitate to slap them with a pre-emptive nuclear strike,” the video says in Korean.

“The United States must choose! It’s up to you whether the nation called the United States exists on this planet or not.”

Quote:
Most of the video appears to chronicle what it calls “humiliating defeats” suffered by the United States at North Korea’s hands over the past years, including two separate incidents in which the North captured an American ship called the Pueblo and shot down an American helicopter in 1968 and 1994 respectively.

It also depicts a barrage of artillery, rockets and missiles, which includes a submarine-launched ballistic missile.

The missile shown in the video, which is what North Korea recently claimed it had successfully tested, ends with the American flag in flames.

In 2013, the North released another video showing Lower Manhattan being bombed, and another one later showing President Obama and American troops in flames.

Tensions between the US and North Korea have escalated since the start of 2016 after the North’s nuclear test in January and a long-range rocket launch on February 7.

Pyongyang says the rocket launch was aimed at placing an earth observation satellite into orbit, but the US and South Korea say the move was a cover for an intercontinental ballistic missile test.

On March 13, a US nuclear-powered aircraft carrier arrived in South Korea’s largest port city to take part in joint war games, dubbed Key Resolve, following threats by North Korea to wipe out its enemies.

A day earlier, American and South Korean troops staged a big amphibious landing exercise on South Korea’s east coast, storming simulated North Korean beach defenses.

Pyongyang condemned the assault drills, calling them “nuclear war moves” taken as preparations for an invasion.

The North’s military said it was prepared to respond “with an ultra-precision blitzkrieg strike of the Korean style.”

This year’s Key Resolve drills mark the largest of their kind as the allies step up military cooperation in the face of North Korea’s nuclear and missile threats.
Basically the ZioAmerican empire is so powerful that to fight it you have to tell them youre going to launch your nukes, be it from land or submarines, and forever depopulate sections of the Americas which would be an ultimate price to pay then is to gain anything in taking north Korea.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 03-28-2016 at 01:12 AM.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: