REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Netflix to block proxy access to content not available locally

crap

Netflix to block proxy access to content not available locally - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
Netflix Inc. is promising renewed efforts to thwart subscribers who mask their location in order to access television shows and movies not available in their home country.

In a blog entry posted Thursday, the company’s vice-president of content delivery architecture, David Fullagar, said that “in coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are.”

That is easier said than done. Netflix already uses technology to catch those who use virtual private networks (VPNs) or similar technologies to get around the country-specific locks that protect local content rights. Until now, the company has mostly relied on blacklists of VPN providers that offer the location-masking services.

Now, the popular streaming service says it will use newer technologies that should be noticeably better at preventing users from watching shows not licensed for their country, just one week after flipping the switch to make Netflix available in upwards of 130 more countries..

“Netflix uses a variety of technologies to properly geolocate members and to avoid attempts to circumvent proper geolocation. As the technology evolves and becomes better at detecting and blocking proxies, we are evolving with it,” said a Netflix spokesperson in an e-mail. The company declined to say how the new technology works.

Nicholas Lin, the founder of Toronto-based UnoTelly, a service that lets subscribers watch TV and movies on services like Netflix “without geoblocking,” said in a statement that his company is “monitoring the situation and waiting for more information.”

Last week, however, Netflix executives told The Globe and Mail that it is no easy task limiting the sort of geographical circumvention that has grown more common among subscribers who become frustrated when a show is available on Netflix in other countries, but not where they live.

“Since the goal of the proxy guys is to hide the source it’s not obvious how to make that work well. It’s likely to always be a cat-and-mouse game. [We] continue to rely on blacklists of VPN exit points maintained by companies that make it their job. Once [VPN providers] are on the blacklist, it’s trivial for them to move to a new IP address and evade,” said Neil Hunt, Netflix’s chief product officer, in an interview at last week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Netflix is estimated to have at least four million subscribers in Canada, though the company does not provide country-specific numbers. But what is clear is that viewing through online streaming services is rising fast. The typical user of such services watched seven hours of Internet TV each week in 2015, up from just 2.8 hours in 2011, according to figures from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

With that in mind, media executives in Canada and around the world have pressed for better protections for the territorial rights to the shows they license to streaming services like Netflix. Bell Media, a division of BCE Inc., has been particularly vocal, calling the use of VPNs to access content from abroad “stealing.”

Netflix is sensitive to their concerns, and says its goal is to license more content globally so there’s no issue, and already offers its original shows everywhere it’s available. But the economics of the TV industry still depend heavily on the ability to buy and enforce local rights to shows.

“For now, given the historic practice of licensing content by geographic territories, the TV shows and movies we offer differ, to varying degrees, by territory,” Mr. Fullagar wrote in his blog post.

With files from reporter Shane Dingman

Follow James Bradshaw on Twitter: @jembradshaw
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
if anyone has an active US DNS code for Apple TV please let me know
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Ugh. That sucks
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
downloading it is
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
ah, the only reason I am even subscribed to these guys is because I can access the USA. Stop me and so does my subscription..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Netflix will, hopefully, drag their feet in this. Banning VPN/proxy IPs is a pointless game of whack-a-mole. At least they're not Hulu. The big WTF with Hulu is they are a lot more aggressive on blacklisting VPNs, even though they can get subscription fees. Unless you pay for the top-tier subscription, you're still going to get commercials! I'm surprised they are missing out on that cash, and sending people to torrents and newsgroups. It's like they want to turn people to piracy so that they can complain about it.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Those that use VPN services to watch US content will be fine, as long as their service is up to speed with cycling non-blacklisted IP addresses.

DNS services, on the other hand, will have issues, as it may be inconvenient to constantly change DNS addresses on your TV, gaming console, etc at the rate that its banned.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Netflix will, hopefully, drag their feet in this. Banning VPN/proxy IPs is a pointless game of whack-a-mole. At least they're not Hulu. The big WTF with Hulu is they are a lot more aggressive on blacklisting VPNs, even though they can get subscription fees. Unless you pay for the top-tier subscription, you're still going to get commercials! I'm surprised they are missing out on that cash, and sending people to torrents and newsgroups. It's like they want to turn people to piracy so that they can complain about it.
I don't think I've ever successfully watched Hulu with my VPN service. The only times that it worked was with Hola!. If it ever gets to that point for Netflix then they will lose many subscribers.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Old 01-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Spoiler!

Agreed, it takes some knowledge to setup, but it's a close second to Netflix.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Agreed, it takes some knowledge to setup, but it's a close second to Netflix.
There is also icefilms. super simple to use.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #12
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
i find a lot of the stream choices do not connect which can be annoying. not sure if it's my connection or a lot of busy servers?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i find a lot of the stream choices do not connect which can be annoying. not sure if it's my connection or a lot of busy servers?
That depends on your addon. Icefilms, Genesis, etc. shouldn't have dead links. Genesis has been quite slow lately, so it will take time to load.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
ok i typically just use genesis and i have to try like 10 or so before i find one that will load properly...and then another 5-10min to let it buffer so it'll run normally.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Netflix is barely worth paying for even while using a VPN to get American content I was thinking about cancelling my subscription earlier today before I read this and most likely will for sure now.
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
ok i typically just use genesis and i have to try like 10 or so before i find one that will load properly...and then another 5-10min to let it buffer so it'll run normally.
Link works. It just takes long to buffer.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Lately, I've found I had to downgrade to med. quality on Genesis to avoid any buffering issues.

I'm usually web browsing while I watch stuff in the background, so no big inconvenience for me anyways besides scrolling down the source feed a bit further.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Kodi is growing super fast, and I think some of the major services like Genesis are having problems keeping up with the demand. Be patient guys.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #19
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Now that netflix is global, an announcement/post like this is not out of the norm
I would think its the curators of the content pushing for this
ie.. House of Cards is not available in HK netflix as its licensed to LeTV
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
Now that netflix is global, an announcement/post like this is not out of the norm
I would think its the curators of the content pushing for this
ie.. House of Cards is not available in HK netflix as its licensed to LeTV
Certainly, Netflix doesn't care about territorial distribution rights. It's obvious that it's the content creators and TV broadcasters pushing for these measures.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #21
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Certainly, Netflix doesn't care about territorial distribution rights. It's obvious that it's the content creators and TV broadcasters pushing for these measures.
It's licensing rights that's at play.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
It's licensing rights that's at play.
Poor choice of word.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #23
I don't get it

Time to short netflix stocks
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Netflix just opened up to rest of the world... ^ I'm. Sure new subscribers will be more than enough to make up for people who sign off.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #25
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Poor choice of word.

Not sure what you mean.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote