REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:18 AM   #26
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
I'm pretty torn since seeing this PSA looking for these three guys. If this is all the police are going on and has put out a request like this:

On the one hand, trying to prevent a crime before it happens is important, and it does seems like diligence by the police to bring people in for questioning for suspicious activity.

But on the other hand, imagine being these three guys in the video, and being innocent. You now have all of Vancouver looking at you as suspected violent terrorists even though you might have no ill intention or even having committed crime. This could potentially cause a lot of problems for their personal lives.

I guess the question I'm asking myself is, where do we draw the line and at what point do we let fear dominate our lives? If someone was looking up blueprints to city hall, does that give the government the authority to start electronically surveying them? I shouldn't think so. Taking photos and videos of a mall is public domain.... Imagine waking up and being wanted the by the police when you and your buddies were just walking around the mall taking photos.

The honest answer is I don't know, but it's definitely something we should start talking about
Your personal opinion, what would you rather they do?
Advertisement
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #27
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,314 Times in 5,635 Posts
You don't want the public/police looking for you? Don't go around doing ultra suspicious shit
Old 01-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
Not normal for anyone to take pictures of all the exits and entrances..
When I was in school for photography at Foal Point we were given assignments to do. One was to capture an image of wealth.
That day I spent 3 hours outside of a mall getting pictures of people with there purchases of high end clothing and brands.

Not once did anyone bat an eyelash.

Given the number of film/photography students and enthusiasts in the lower mainland, I dont see this as being "not normal".

Change middle eastern to white dude and no one would think anything.
Not to say that something COULD be going on, but taking pictures is completely legal and requires 0 explanation to anyone for doing so.

EDIT: I see the photos now and its clear that they are not interested in anything like this and understand the reason for concern.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW

Last edited by BoostedBB6; 01-15-2016 at 10:13 AM.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #29
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
I would rather the police being cautious about this and then wrong and not doing anything at all and something happening. It's sad but this isn't racist but the world we live in today.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #30
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,388 Times in 5,086 Posts
^ what are you even talking about that it requires 0 explanation for taking pics in public? So you're okay with pedophiles that sit at the edge of playgrounds takings pics of kids?

Like I said before the whole story doesn't get released to the public 100% as to not incite panic, but they have good reasons for asking these questions to identify. So much shit happens in this city every day and they never bother but this 1 time they're asking the public? It's because they know more than is being told.

Seriously, for this bulletin to be released it would have had to go through at least 3 levels of approval including the VPD and RCMP media liaisons. You don't think they know what the culture is like and would put something out with racist overtones? Give your heads a shake.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Who ever these three guys are, they are the three stooges.

Don't they realize that all their suspicious activity is captured by Pacific Centre's security cameras??

Dumb asses.

Last edited by pastarocket; 01-15-2016 at 07:31 AM.
pastarocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I would rather the police being cautious about this and then wrong and not doing anything at all and something happening. It's sad but this isn't racist but the world we live in today.
It is a sad thing that the world is like this, but it always has been and I really don't think that will ever completely change.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ what are you even talking about that it requires 0 explanation for taking pics in public? So you're okay with pedophiles that sit at the edge of playgrounds takings pics of kids?

Like I said before the whole story doesn't get released to the public 100% as to not incite panic, but they have good reasons for asking these questions to identify. So much shit happens in this city every day and they never bother but this 1 time they're asking the public? It's because they know more than is being told.

Seriously, for this bulletin to be released it would have had to go through at least 3 levels of approval including the VPD and RCMP media liaisons. You don't think they know what the culture is like and would put something out with racist overtones? Give your heads a shake.
I'm talking about legality, if you are in a public place you do not require anyone's consent to take there pictures.
I get what your saying and I agree. When I was in school this was a very sensitive thing. We made it a point to not photograph in specific areas like playgrounds and such. We did make a few outings to them as a class and informed anyone there what we were doing and no issues, but I get what your saying.
What I am saying is there is nothing in the law that says you are not allowed to and legally you are not required to get permission or any need to explain what you are doing as there are not laws being broken. If you are on private property then its a whole different story.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #34
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
site rule to fail any buzz article linked
My fail privileges were revoke after quote failing an unfailable mod on here

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #35
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
I'm talking about legality, if you are in a public place you do not require anyone's consent to take there pictures.
I get what your saying and I agree. When I was in school this was a very sensitive thing. We made it a point to not photograph in specific areas like playgrounds and such. We did make a few outings to them as a class and informed anyone there what we were doing and no issues, but I get what your saying.
What I am saying is there is nothing in the law that says you are not allowed to and legally you are not required to get permission or any need to explain what you are doing as there are not laws being broken. If you are on private property then its a whole different story.
Pacific centre is private property.

From the website
Welcome

The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited welcomes you to our properties, websites and mobile applications. As a guest, service provider or client (which includes retailers and occupants of our properties), we want you to understand our personal information management practices. In this Privacy Policy, you will find information about the principles that guide us in how we collect, use and disclose personal information through our websites, mobile applications and technologies installed on or used in our properties, and your choices regarding the use of your personal information.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #36
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post
it's private property that's open to the public

its been covered before, you may take photos in malls, and are only required to stop if told to by security, and even then you dont have to delete the photos you've already taken
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #37

Quote:
If they are on the exterior of the building they are not on private property. If inside the building they are.

EDIT: Yeahhh I had this wrong, any public accessible area is fair game for photography even in privately owned establishments as 320i posted further on.

Last edited by BoostedBB6; 01-15-2016 at 10:14 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #38

Quote:
If they are on the exterior of the building they are not on private property. If inside the building they are.
Did u see the photos, the are securities photos inside the mall. Sooooo.........they are inside the building therefore in private properties.......
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #39

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
When I was in school for photography at Foal Point we were given assignments to do. One was to capture an image of wealth.
That day I spent 3 hours outside of a mall getting pictures of people with there purchases of high end clothing and brands.

Given the number of film/photography students and enthusiasts in the lower mainland, I dont see this as being "not normal".

Not to say that something COULD be going on, but taking pictures is completely legal and requires 0 explanation to anyone for doing so.
holy shit...this is a stupid fucking post.

if any normal person saw their face plastered all over the news being accused of suspicious activity, they would immediately call the police or the media and inform them of what they were doing.

since these 3 fuckers havent, well...

and here we go with the racism card...lol.

anyways, all over the world we have many cases of police being afraid to report suspicious activity or outright covering up crimes because they are afraid of being accused of being racist lol, and its people like you who are causing that haha
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
holy shit...this is a stupid fucking post.

if any normal person saw their face plastered all over the news being accused of suspicious activity, they would immediately call the police or the media and inform them of what they were doing.

since these 3 fuckers havent, well...

and here we go with the racism card...lol.

anyways, all over the world we have many cases of police being afraid to report suspicious activity or outright covering up crimes because they are afraid of being accused of being racist lol, and its people like you who are causing that haha
If by stupid you mean factual then you hit the nail right on the head.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
it's private property that's open to the public

its been covered before, you may take photos in malls, and are only required to stop if told to by security, and even then you dont have to delete the photos you've already taken
I'm not arguing if it's ok or not to take photo inside.

I'm only arguing boosted point that "if it's private property it's a different story"
So was just letting him know they were inside the mall that's private property, nowhere in my post did I say taking photos were or were not allow.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #42

Quote:
If by stupid you mean factual then you hit the nail right on the head.
Yes, I'm sure their film/photo enthusiasts taking pictures of PCS beautiful and artistic exits/entrances

or their students who were given a project studying mall exits and entrances
Old 01-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure their film/photo enthusiasts taking pictures of PCS beautiful and artistic exits/entrances

or their students who were given a project studying mall exits and entrances
Photography is an art. The assignment was to capture what you interpret as wealth and IMO someone who wears $1000 shoes and spends many more thousands in a shopping centre can be a great representation of that.

Example below.

EDIT: Just saw the pictures of these guys......yeahhhhhhh No. Disregard this one :P

Last edited by BoostedBB6; 01-15-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Photography is an art. The assignment was to capture what you interpret as wealth and IMO someone who wears $1000 shoes and spends many more thousands in a shopping centre can be a great representation of that.

Example below.
like i said, if they actually had an art assignment they would just call the police and told them so and this would be cleared up. why havent they?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #45

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:

Yeah and you were probably walking around with some sort of fancy Canon/Nikon camera and were interacting with people who obviously knew what you were doing.

This is 3 "military age males" with cell phone cameras presumably not interacting with anyone and seemingly being only interested in building security/access/egress.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #46

Quote:
like i said, if they actually had an art assignment they would just call the police and told them so and this would be cleared up. why havent they?
Like I said, I see the need for concern HOWEVER nothing they did was illegal. As for why they have not called the police or what not, there could be any number of reasons but that would be a good idea to do. If they have not see a news article then perhaps that would be why they have not done anything about it.

This post FAILED by:
Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #47

Quote:
I'm not arguing if it's ok or not to take photo inside.

I'm only arguing boosted point that "if it's private property it's a different story"
So was just letting him know they were inside the mall that's private property, nowhere in my post did I say taking photos were or were not allow.
You are correct, however if photography is not allowed in a privately owned space then it is often noted near an entrance or enforced by security.

Believe me, seeing these guys walking around with there phones taking pictures I would personally be contacting mall security. Its not like they were taking pictures of there friends for a selfie style photo or anything. I get why there is concern and IMO I would be as well.
Everyone is so PC these days that they will let things that are not right happen simply because they think that somehow they will be labelled a racist. Needs to stop and people need to pull there heads out of there asses.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

Sorry but with the way things are in the world regarding muslims -- if you are muslim don't do anything suspicious should be common sense.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Sorry but with the way things are in the world regarding muslims -- if you are muslim don't do anything suspicious should be common sense.
I completely agree, its a shit reality but it is reality.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #50
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
You are correct, however if photography is not allowed in a privately owned space then it is often noted near an entrance or enforced by security.

Believe me, seeing these guys walking around with there phones taking pictures I would personally be contacting mall security. Its not like they were taking pictures of there friends for a selfie style photo or anything. I get why there is concern and IMO I would be as well.
Everyone is so PC these days that they will let things that are not right happen simply because they think that somehow they will be labelled a racist. Needs to stop and people need to pull there heads out of there asses.
Yes, it's not illegal but these individuals are not under arrest either. So what's your point?

What's your personal opinion? Do you think the authorities should've just ignore a suspicious incident or look into it. (I'm being careful with my words here. I'm not using "arrest" or "detain").

Everyone remember the mystery tunnel in Toronto that was found near the Pan Am Games venue?

Toronto Mystery Tunnel

When the police found out who dug the tunnels and confirmed there was "no criminal intent", that was pretty much the end of that story. If this incident is truly harmless in nature, I don't see why it would not yield the same result as that of the Mystery Tunnel.

Last edited by Noir; 01-15-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: