REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #26
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[QUOTE=meme405;8721595]There was a very simple fix to this, turn the light around. That's how I have them on my truck when I am not using it. As soon as I hit an FSR or mine road, I loosen the wingnut on the end and turn it the other way round.

must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.
"

Technically you are still in violation of the law...driver behind also deserve to not be exposed to the light.
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #27
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Behind? Most bars are in front of the grill. I don't think many people are hiding behind your grill. lol.

Berz out.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,903 Times in 3,866 Posts
I'm guessing Zulu is thinking of the typical headache bar mounted lights many trucks used to have. Mines mounted just below the front plate, so if I aim it backwards and turn it on I have a really easy to read plate, or if I aim it down I can find the tools I dropped under it when I'm inevitably trying to fix it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #29
I am Hook'd on RS

I sincerely hope you bring up this complaint with the proper people and don't let it drop. To me this is unacceptable and yet another example of overstepping boundaries.
highres604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #30
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highres604 View Post
I sincerely hope you bring up this complaint with the proper people and don't let it drop. To me this is unacceptable and yet another example of overstepping boundaries.

You sound like an entitled American university student...."boundaries"???....that statement is a "micro aggression"....I'm tellin Mom!!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #31
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

this minor cop rage will be a waste of everyone's time if u take it any further.
suck it up and move on.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
There was a very simple fix to this, turn the light around. That's how I have them on my truck when I am not using it. As soon as I hit an FSR or mine road, I loosen the wingnut on the end and turn it the other way round.
must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.
"

Technically you are still in violation of the law...driver behind also deserve to not be exposed to the light.
#1 - Berz is absolutely right my bar is on my bumper, so turning it around results in it facing into the front of my car.

#2 - it's the thought that counts, the reason this law exists is to prevent drivers from blinding each other accidentally or on purpose. Flipping the bar around shows any reasonable officer who isn't a dickhead that you atleast made an attempt to be a law abiding citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
this minor cop rage will be a waste of everyone's time if u take it any further.
suck it up and move on.
Normally I'm with letting things go, but in this instance I'd say follow it up. If someone in my work environment pulled something like this and we were made aware of it, for sure there would be consequences. At the end of the day there is a procedure set out for the officer to follow, that procedure is the VI process, if he really wanted the car off the road, he could have given the car a box 1 and then it would have been up to an authorized inspector to make the call. An officer on the side of the road has no authority to start removing parts off a car or damaging someones property.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2016, 12:43 AM   #33
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Can we get confirmation that aux lights also need to be covered if they are below headlight height? It's always been my understanding they only need to be covered if they are above headlight height.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:52 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Can we get confirmation that aux lights also need to be covered if they are below headlight height? It's always been my understanding they only need to be covered if they are above headlight height.
No, you can't get confirmation, because your understanding is incorrect.

(2) The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37

--------

Auxiliary driving lamps
4.09 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 auxiliary driving lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 40 cm and not more than 1.06 m, that are capable of displaying onlywhite light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #35

^ It was my understanding that they also have to be tied into the high/low circuit correctly so you still have a max of 4 forward facing lights on at a time, but I could be wrong.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 01-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #36
Ricer Mod

Update: After the meeting with the Staff Sgt with the officer also present the officer has been instructed to purchase my employee a new light bar. I feel this is a pretty clear indication that what the officer did was clearly a wrong doing. The officer will now have to wait to have another officer present as well in any future dealings with my employee as per the conversation.

Justice. Is. Served.

Edit. Also this was the "easy way out" for the officer and from what I understand my employee agreed to the new lightbar in lieu of other possible punishment for the officer.

Berz out.

Last edited by Berzerker; 01-30-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #37
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Nothing a few wire connectors can't fix.....
Flatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #38
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Update: After the meeting with the Staff Sgt with the officer also present the officer has been instructed to purchase my employee a new light bar. I feel this is a pretty clear indication that what the officer did was clearly a wrong doing. The officer will now have to wait to have another officer present as well in any future dealings with my employee as per the conversation.

Justice. Is. Served.

Edit. Also this was the "easy way out" for the officer and from what I understand my employee agreed to the new lightbar in lieu of other possible punishment for the officer.

Berz out.
Can I point out you spelled boundaries wrong now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #39
I am Hook'd on RS

That is awesome OP! Good for you!
Just a personal opinion from an entitled universtity student! Please don't taze me zultango.
highres604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #40
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highres604 View Post
That is awesome OP! Good for you!
Just a personal opinion from an entitled universtity student! Please don't taze me zultango.

I don't Taze anyone anymore...have to rely on my S&W Model 29 .44 these days.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I don't Taze anyone anymore...have to rely on my S&W Model 29 .44 these days.
Good thing - tazers kill!
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #42
RS Peace Officer

I prefer the terror experienced when I say.....starts 55 second mark..
Old 02-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #43
I subscribe to Revscene

Glad it worked out for the OP.

I understand the law, but you have to laugh at the irony. High brightness lights controlled by the driver, activated when conditions warrant it are illegal to have uncovered. Unless they're the OE high-beams.

I don't think I've ever been blinded by someone's "off-road" light bar. I've been blinded countless times by granny in her Camry with high-beams on, however.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Glad it worked out for the OP.

I understand the law, but you have to laugh at the irony. High brightness lights controlled by the driver, activated when conditions warrant it are illegal to have uncovered. Unless they're the OE high-beams.

I don't think I've ever been blinded by someone's "off-road" light bar. I've been blinded countless times by granny in her Camry with high-beams on, however.
Clearly you haven't driven in Kelowna (aka Alberta west), where people run light bars like a DRL. The key difference is also that high beams can be used legally on the road at correct times, but light bars can't.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #45
I subscribe to Revscene

I suppose it's better to collide with a bear, or some horses then.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #46
RS Peace Officer

Remember...when you hit a bear....you don't have to be able to run faster than an injured bear...just be able to run faster than at least 1 of your passengers.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #47

People drove their vehicles at night for a hundred years without the need to project pure daylight ahead of them. I have a 20" light bar on my Jeep, I actually do go off-road at night, and it's more than sufficient.

80% of the guys who deck their rigs out like small suns never even leave the pavement. If you hit a bear or a horse in the Wal-Mart parking lot, a) you're going too fast, b) there are bigger things to be concerned about.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #48
Ricer Mod

Easy to say until you almost get killed because 3 horses are on the highway like what happened to me. Just because people "got by" with out LED bars doesn't mean they don't help. There are 10000 REPORTED collisions with animals in BC per year, if even 10% of those could be avoided by better lighting and more time to react, I would say that's a pretty significant statistic. For the record My lightbar indeed saved my vehicle and perhaps my life as well as my family by giving me enough time to slow down and avoid 3 stray horses on the highway. This is why I find the "law" so frustrating. They help. I'm proof of that. One of my good friends just wrote off his Subaru because he swerved and avoided a moose and hit a tree. Had he had an LED light bar, which he now has on his new vehicle, He swears he could have slowed down and avoided a crash with the increased reaction time.

http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/newsr...-involving.pdf
Stats by region.

Berz out.

Last edited by Berzerker; 02-06-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #49

Have you got yours wired all on its own or tied into the highbeam circuit?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #50
Ricer Mod

On it's own. Switch is located right beside the steering wheel. I go off roading and camping so I have it so I can use it without having the ignition on if needed. I also have two square lights mounted on each corner of the rear of my Dodge so I can see better backing up my trailer. (Also a great high beam in the rear view deterrent lol)

I'm also very aware of just how bright my lights are and I even went to a long stretch of road to see how far the light was reaching and how bright. My basic rule is, if I can see any approaching light from a vehicle I switch the bar off. Even if it's kilometers away.

Berz out.

Last edited by Berzerker; 02-06-2016 at 02:02 PM.