REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Overstepping Boundries

Is an officer allowed to cut the wires on a LED light bar on a vehicle that he pulls over? An employee of mine was pulled over for having an uncovered "offroad" light bar. Conversation ensued Employee - "I will get covers for it" Officer - "We can't have you shining that thing in people eyes, lets fix that right here" The officer then cut the wires on the bar, as well wrote a ticket for uncovered offroad light.

Is this allowed or would this be considered vandalism?

Berz out.
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Seems completely out of line to me. If your employee doesn't even have the offroad lights turned on, how does he know your employee will use them?

An equivalent situation to me is -- the cop knows your car can do 100km/h, but he only catches you doing 60km/h in a 30km/h zone. So he punctures your tires and proceeds to tell you -- "We can't have you driving this thing @100km/h in the 30km/h zone. Let's fix that right there."

I would pay the ticket for the uncovered light, but sue the PD for vandalism / property damage on the car.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Actually, I just thought of a better example.

Let's say Berz is caught exposing himself in public. The cop catches Berz and charges him with indecent exposure. But then he goes on and tells Berz, "We can't have you shining that "thing" in people's eyes. Let's fix that right here", and proceeds to cut off the weiner / bratwurst / whatever.

Don't think the cop would be able to get away with this one, right?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Don't know if it is legal, but we have all heard of stories where people were pulled over for illegal tint on the front windows.
Car owner is issued a ticket for the tint and the officer scratches the tint with a key.

So is that not legal then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Ricer Mod

He has a meeting with Staff Sgt. and the officer on Friday. Will update with results.

Berz out.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Ricer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Actually, I just thought of a better example.

Let's say Berz is caught exposing himself in public. The cop catches Berz and charges him with indecent exposure. But then he goes on and tells Berz, "We can't have you shining that "thing" in people's eyes. Let's fix that right here", and proceeds to cut off the weiner / bratwurst / whatever.

Don't think the cop would be able to get away with this one, right?
He would need bolt cutters...

Berz out.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If your employee doesn't even have the offroad lights turned on, how does he know your employee will use them?
The law is that the lights have to be covered when on road.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Don't know if it is legal, but we have all heard of stories where people were pulled over for illegal tint on the front windows.
Car owner is issued a ticket for the tint and the officer scratches the tint with a key.

Scratching the tint doesn't really damage anything (unless he gouges the glass itself). Plus, it's illegal for the tint to be there at all.

Having the light bar installed is legal, and using it off-road is permitted....snipping the wire affects the LEGAL use of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Ricer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Scratching the tint doesn't really damage anything .
It damages the tint. On someones car that paid to have it installed, legal or not. Where do you draw the line?

Berz out.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
The argument I remember reading in this forum to justify the peeling of the tint is some JPs ask for a sample to be presented as evidence in the case of a dispute.

I can't see how that would apply in OPs situation though.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

I got lucky, few years ago when I got pulled over for tinted front windows, the officer told me he was not gonna write up a ticket if I ripped off the front tint on the spot, which I did.

Definitely a good trade off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I have asked drivers to disable the illegal equipment at roadside. If that cannot be done then a #1 inspection order issued and the vehicle removed from the road....or you permit the driver to continue to break the law. I heard a JP dismiss a ticket in court and ream the Member for taking this option.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
Ricer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I have asked drivers to disable the illegal equipment at roadside. If that cannot be done then a #1 inspection order issued and the vehicle removed from the road....or you permit the driver to continue to break the law. I heard a JP dismiss a ticket in court and ream the Member for taking this option.
So my original question stands. From an unbiased stand point, was the officer out of line cutting the wires to the light bar on his own accord?

Berz out.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
interested to see where this goes because i have been considering a small light bar that goes where my license plate currently is. i would obviously re-locate the license plate to the side like on the eco-boost f150's.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
I got lucky, few years ago when I got pulled over for tinted front windows, the officer told me he was not gonna write up a ticket if I ripped off the front tint on the spot, which I did.

Definitely a good trade off.
How do u rip it off on the spot? I thought u need a blow gun.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
Ricer Mod

Well the legalities are simple. They are not DOT approved and therefore illegal to use ON public highways and roads. So if your really worried about tickets, don't get one.

That being said, I live up north. It's dark for 14 hours a day for months. There is a high probability of animal collisions as well as shitty winter conditions for 6 months sometimes.

I personally know of at least 10 people with collisions with animals in the few years I've been up here. Me personally driving home from Prince George with my entire family in the car was saved a horrific accident by using my light bar. There were 3 horses that escaped and were on the highway. My light bar gave me enough distance to react that I was able to slow down, swerve and avoid a major collision. (I lost my drivers side mirror on one of the horses noses) Had I not had my light bar on I will say without a shadow of a doubt that I would have had a major collision with at least 1 of the horses.

I looked up the stats for collisions with animals and ICBC has approx 9000 RECORDED animal collisions for the southern and northern interior regions PER YEAR. Light bars without a doubt offer more time to react, better visibility, and improved reaction times at night. But they are "illegal"

This is where officer morality comes into effect in my opinion. Will I stop using my light bar? Fuck no. It's already saved me from a huge accident that could have been life altering. Why would officers choose to punish people for trying to be safer at night. Obviously idiots who have them just as a fashion statement don't count but those who live in rural areas..... I would say we have a pretty fucking solid reason to be using them.

Berz out.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
^ this is the thing though, i understand they're illegal to use ON road because they are strictly meant for OFF road but is illegal to even have them mounted up?
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
it almost sounds like they're legal if mounted and covered, and not legal if mounted and uncovered

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #19
Ricer Mod

Legal if mounted and covered yes. Legal to use on logging roads and FSR.

Berz out.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #20
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
How do u rip it off on the spot? I thought u need a blow gun.
I believe it was old tint, take a finer nail to one corner and just tear out the rest.

Only thing you're left with is the sticky residue which was time consuming to clean
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #21
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
it almost sounds like they're legal if mounted and covered, and not legal if mounted and uncovered

Bingo! Uncovered, they are considered "unauthorized lights", covered they are "off road lights" and permitted on a "highway".

Would I cut the wiring...personally no...I would offer the options I outlined. In the cases I enountered the driver was always able to disconnect the wires...sometimes using my leatherman.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Legal if mounted and covered yes. Legal to use on logging roads and FSR.

Berz out.

Legal for use on anything that is not a "highway"....some logging roads can be considered "highways"
"highway" includes

(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,
but does not include an industrial road;

Off-road lamps
4.25 Despite section 4.04 (2) (c), a vehicle equipped with off-road lamps when on a highway must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
If you're going to run a light bar at least keep the tools you need to remove or reaim it in the vehicle. I have one on my Cherokee and I have the allen wrenches in the glove box to either remove it or aim it down/backwards. That way I can keep it legal when I don't need it with about 30 seconds of effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
It damages the tint. On someones car that paid to have it installed, legal or not. Where do you draw the line?

Berz out.
Tint that has to come off one way or another, personally I'd be taking it off roadside rather than deal with a VI.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If you're going to run a light bar at least keep the tools you need to remove or reaim it in the vehicle. I have one on my Cherokee and I have the allen wrenches in the glove box to either remove it or aim it down/backwards. That way I can keep it legal when I don't need it with about 30 seconds of effort.
Friend of mine did that when stopped last summer - his light bar is mounted between the sides of the bull bar on his Samurai, so when a cop mentioned it to him, he just gave it a twist so it was pointing at the grill. Said the cop chuckled and sent him on his way (after a little more admiration of his wicked little Sammi/Sidekick hybrid).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
There was a very simple fix to this, turn the light around. That's how I have them on my truck when I am not using it. As soon as I hit an FSR or mine road, I loosen the wingnut on the end and turn it the other way round.

I used to have the cover for mine, but someone stole it, or I otherwise lost it at some point.

Officer sounds like he was having a bad day to cut the wire.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote