REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

When bike boy goes crazy 2017

This is what you get. Time to GTFO 2017 of vancouver before the madness hits. Altho I'd love to slap on dash cams and watch the road rage that ensues when these things are doing 32kmph hogging up lanes. If you get a fatty in there it will be even slower lollercoaster.
Vancouver?s newest car share: no driver?s licence required - Vancouver Magazine
It was a big enough deal that even Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mayor Gregor Robertson showed up Tuesday morning for the unveiling of Veemo, Vancouver’s newest car share. But while local company VeloMetro considers Car2Go and Evo as competitors, its vehicles aren’t like those other ones that Vancouverites have become so familiar with. In fact, legally, Veemos are bikes. In practice, well, that’s another matter. We caught up with VeloMetro CEO John Stonier (pictured below in the yellow shirt) hours after the announcement to figure out just what the heck a Veemo is—and what Vancouverites can expect when they hit the streets in 2017.

So, what is a Veemo?

This is a fully suspended vehicle with a seamless electric assist and an upright seating position in a cabin that provides you with all the comforts you’d expect in a car. Except for air conditioning, but we do have heated handgrips and seats for the winter. But I can’t see needing it when you’re cycling—you keep warm.

Consider it a coaster bike on steroids. Pedal forward to move, pedal back to break. It has an automatic transmission. It has a 500-watt power assist—500 watts, to put that into perspective, is the equivalent of two Olympic cyclists helping you propel the vehicle down the road.

How much does this beast weigh?

It’s 265 pounds.

Is there room in that 265-pound bike for cargo? Can I use it for groceries?

It’s designed to have a full overhead baggage suitcase behind the seat. We’ll have a hook for dry cleaning. You could do your weekly grocery shopping. You could probably put your dog in the back.

Wait, so I can use it to, say, bring my cat to the vet?

I guess if you had a small enough carrier or if you put a blanket down. It’s pretty durable inside. Actually, wait, we haven’t made that policy decision yet.

That’s one hell of a bike. Do riders need to wear a helmet to be in line with B.C.’s mandatory helmet law?

There are exemptions for stable vehicles like quadricycles. We will apply to have the same exemption. Even though our vehicles have three wheels, they are still as stable.

And just how fast does one of these Veemos go so as to not legally become a car?

32 km/h. Statistics show when you’re under 50 km/h, the death rate drops dramatically simply because of speed.

D80_1557

Some drivers probably won’t want to be stuck behind a vehicle going 32 km/h.

The great thing about Veemo is that it does have presence on the road. That’s a safety factor. You can see them from afar. They’re illuminated at night with LED lights. If you’re in a 50 km/h lane, you have every right to be there, but because you have presence you’re probably taking the lane up—you should be taking the lane up. It could impede traffic, but many streets are two lanes. Most of the time, though, in urban areas the streets are clogged and the bike lanes are empty. This is where we find an interesting advantage. In rush hour traffic, we will be faster.

So these things can go in bike lanes?

They are classified as cycles and are small enough to fit in bike lines. We corresponded with the authorities on that at a very early stage. Bike lanes are 1.5 metres wide. Our vehicles are 1.15 metres wide. If there is a need for overtaking, there is room on the side.

And how big will your fleet of Veemos be?

We’ll probably start with 100. We think the Vancouver market is so robust that we can grow it to hundreds of vehicles in the City of Vancouver in the next few years. The market for car shares has been growing in Vancouver by 38 percent per year since 2007. And it has no signs of letting up.

Where will Veemo be available?

The home zone will be focused on the urban core of Vancouver—high-density areas. We may go to 16th Avenue to the south, Nanaimo Street to the east, and MacDonald Street to the west.

What about UBC?

Our first commercial trial is set for UBC. We have the support and encouragement of UBC parking, and we’ve had meetings with student representatives at UBC, and they are very excited about the prospect—to have their own transportation system around campus. It’s a huge campus and there really is no transit system to get around it, so we fill a real need there. And for all the people who don’t have driver’s licences, this is the first enclosed vehicle option that they’ve ever had.

And where can they be parked?

We will operate the same as the other car shares. They’ll have reserved parking around the city and the same access to residential permit parking. And we’ll have the unique ability to park our vehicles in what we call off-sidewalk parking, like plazas that cars couldn’t park in. Wherever there’s a bike stand, you can park adjacent to that, because they are classified as cycles. That opens up a number of possibilities for parking in the downtown core.

What will Veemo cost me?

The price will be about 30 percent less than the other car shares, about 28 to 29 cents per minute.

Alright, final question: how do I get into a Veemo and start driving? What’s the process?

It’s going to work off your smartphone primarily, but basically we’re making it so it’s smartphone-enabled, and essentially you can be walking on the street, see one of our vehicles, download the app, put in a credit card, pin number, and be in your first Veemo in five minutes and drive down the road. Because you don’t have to have a driver’s licence, there’s no driver’s licence testing.
Advertisement
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 16,830 Times in 3,952 Posts
10/10 would read again
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,211 Times in 243 Posts
seeing these just reminds me of that incident involving the motorized scooter. Did they ever catch the person responsible?

Motorized Scooter Accident Kills 91-Year-Old Pedestrian In Burnaby, B.C.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,436 Posts
500 watts = 2/3 hp

Quote:

If you’re in a 50 km/h lane, you have every right to be there, but because you have presence you’re probably taking the lane up—you should be taking the lane up.
I hate this mentality from cyclists.

I'm not legally required to not be an asshole and I have every right to be an asshole should I choose to be, but that doesn't mean I should be an asshole.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
10/10 would read again
The parts that you really need to read are the following:

Quote:

The great thing about Veemo is that it does have presence on the road. That’s a safety factor. You can see them from afar. They’re illuminated at night with LED lights. If you’re in a 50 km/h lane, you have every right to be there, but because you have presence you’re probably taking the lane up—you should be taking the lane up. It could impede traffic, but many streets are two lanes. Most of the time, though, in urban areas the streets are clogged and the bike lanes are empty. This is where we find an interesting advantage. In rush hour traffic, we will be faster.

So these things can go in bike lanes?

They are classified as cycles and are small enough to fit in bike lines. We corresponded with the authorities on that at a very early stage. Bike lanes are 1.5 metres wide. Our vehicles are 1.15 metres wide. If there is a need for overtaking, there is room on the side.
IMO, a vehicle has every right to be in a 50km/h lane if it is travelling at 50km/h. When your stupid Veemo can only 32km/h, it is NO RIGHT to be occupying a 50km/h lane and impeding traffic. But because the Veemo "has presence" with its 1.15m width, even if it were to move off to the side, it would still be occupying a sizable chunk of the lane, and the vehicle behind it would not be able to make a clear, safe pass.

So what happens then? Either the vehicle stays behind the 32km/h Veemo, or it veers off into the adjacent lane to make the pass. Neither is desirable.

For me, when I see a Veemo impeding traffic, I am going to do pretty much what Jmac says -- because I have no legal obligations to refrain myself from being an asshole, I am going to be an asshole, and lay on the horn on these Veemo driver/riders the whole time when I drive behind them at 32km/h.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
I signed up to a Zionist website and all the Illuminati gave me was this lousy usertitle

So there should be no problem of me creating my own 3 to 4 wheel bike with the same dimensions to ride in the bike lanes???

jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 03-06-2016 at 12:33 PM.
CharlesInCharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,748 Posts

goes 32 km a hour on public roads and no driver’s licence required. Just wait till one hits something.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

In before pranks tipping them over and no insurance accidents.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I demand that they need to pay for some sort of insurance if they are going to be on the road to cover their own ass and ours.

Clear example is the burnaby incident and followed by the same reccurring incident which happened months later that resulted with a dead pedestrian. In the c-spine protocol, if a pedestrian is struck with a vehicle/bike travelling 30kph+, spinal injury is highly suspected. Those veemos can be dangerous if driven with negligence.

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 03-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Imagine this going thru a dogpark:chaird ance:
Old 03-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,748 Posts
If you could find a way to rent them anonymously they could be a lot of fun.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #12
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 3,745 Times in 1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I'd ride down the UBC stairs, or maybe down the Burnaby mountain bike trails

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Fucking bike boy. I'm still pissed about what he did to the poor causeway...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,577 Times in 920 Posts
lol with the way some people drive in the city, its only a very short matter of time before some fuckwit tries to out run a semi in one of those and and gets pancaked in the process.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Who needs to rent when luckily its only 265lbs! Throw it in the bed of a truck, put a tarp over it with some tie-down straps and take that beast 4x4ing up in the mountains!

I see a lot of parked cars being side swiped. If these things have a GPS unit it better be able to find out which bikes were on a specific road between a specific time-frame of the accident and who it was that was using it. I've got a dash cam, but now I'll need several more so I get a 360 view as I can almost guarantee one of these things will get in an accident within the first month and claim it wasn't their fault.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

What happens if theres no bike lane and you just had a fat meal and dont wana go all out. So you only wind up doing 15km hogging the only lane keke The possibilities are endless!
On opening day could have an RS meet to have everyone park these taking up all the spots at cityhall.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-07-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #17

Is today April 1st?
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
WOAH...shut the music off...

Thanked 4,706 Times in 1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
I demand that they need to pay for some sort of insurance if they are going to be on the road to cover their own ass and ours.
wonder if you can sue the car sharing company direct since they are supplying the service (if the userbase does not have proper insurance coverage). i'm sure it's easier to track down the rider of this type of vehicle vs random bikers on the road.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Need license and insurance. And these things shouldn't be allowed on sidewalk fuck that.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
bwuahahahahahahahaha
Old 03-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

wtf lol rs veemo cruise and photoshoot anybody??
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 PM   #22
I signed up to a Zionist website and all the Illuminati gave me was this lousy usertitle

Looks like this thing is actually getting launched... would be interested in making a poor mans version of it by powering it with some cordless drills.

jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Looks like this thing is actually getting launched... would be interested in making a poor mans version of it by powering it with some cordless drills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrpkoX-r4Q
In the prototype introduction video @ 1:22, the cyclist riding the prototype ran a red light. I thought cyclists also have to obey the same traffic regulations that drivers do since the road is shared between both users?
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:47 AM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
In the prototype introduction video @ 1:22, the cyclist riding the prototype ran a red light. I thought cyclists also have to obey the same traffic regulations that drivers do since the road is shared between both users?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:29 AM   #25
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 8,251 Times in 3,276 Posts
Quote:
If you look carefully, there is an independent light for bikes on the right and it is green when the ghey bike goes through the intersection.

At first, I thought it was this thing..............

https://electrameccanica.com/?gclid=...BoCyXIQAvD_BwE
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: