REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #51
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
You have now taken the discussion to a completely different level. Because a police officer makes a personal decision not to enforce a fine or violation we should from time to time be accepting to have our constitutional rights violated?

Please...this isn't a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" type of a situation. You're entitled to treat it as such, but at the end of the day, any violation of my rights should not be permitted in our society. The system is setup in such a way so that law enforcement and our judicial system can deal with scenarios without having to resort to constitutional violations.
If you considering politely answering some basic questions a violation of your rights then you're a looney.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #52
I don't get it

See how you feel about if you got stopped by a impromptu broad day light checkpoint once or twice a week. Does that make you feel "safer"? I bet it does. Especially if they were open carrying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If you considering politely answering some basic questions a violation of your rights then you're a looney.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #53
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I was pulled over last weekend. Ran a red left turn signal. Honestly didn't notice. It was about 2:30am on Saturday.

Cop pulls me over, tells me what I did, I tell him I honestly didn't see it.

"Have you been drinking?"

"I had a couple beers at dinner but that was at around 9pm."

So he reads me the thing and tells me I need to do a breathalyzer. I blow a 0.

"By the way, I like your car!" (pointing at my Golf) "I like the OEM-plus look you VW guys do."

"YES. Thank you! That's exactly what I was going for!"

We talk for a bit about cars...he says he's a RS lurker and has been to our meets before. Says thanks for not lying to him about having beers for dinner. 90% of people lie to him in this situation.

"Well, I really didn't have a reason to."

"Okay, have a good night!" <fist bump> and I'm on my way. He could've given me a ticket for running the red but didn't.

Now, I could've been a dick like these guys citing my rights and whatever...
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #54
...in the world.

Seriously, I haven't gotten a ticket in the longest time. It's not that I haven't been pulled over but I treat every cop like they're just doing their job. I mean, I did something stupid and I deserved a ticket but you're much more likely to get a ticket if you're being a douche about it.

Border cops I sort of get because most of the time they're just preventing Asian aunties from bringing weird foods into the country but DUI? Are we really against cops stopping drunk drivers?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #55
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
And I don't think anyone is saying that we agree with people being guilty before proven innocent. The law is written in such a way in both the USA and Canada that allows police forces to do random road checks. No, it doesn't say that you're required to consent to searches or even answer the questions, but I'm sure many people are willing to answer a couple of quick "Where are you heading" and similar questions instead of making a point by pleading the fifth and just generally being a pain in the ass. If nothing else, you're holding up the line for everyone else behind you who likely has a destination and don't appreciate yet another hold up.

Like someone else shared, I've also consented to a quick search once before. I was also driving a friend home who was very clearly drunk and chances are the officer couldn't tell if the smell of alcohol was coming from just him or me as well. Considering I was run off the road by a drunk driver many years ago and to this day still deal with the resulting injuries, as well as having a friend killed by another drunk driver, I again have no problem with officers doing stuff like that.

Funny. My family in New York are what you would consider the "1%" and they get stuck in the same road blocks and are bound by the same laws as the rest of the population. Never seen them get treated any differently than the rest of the plebs.
I know what you are trying to say but that statement irks me. If one is acting within their legal rights, it's the police holding everyone up, not the law abiding citizen.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #56
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I was pulled over last weekend. Ran a red left turn signal. Honestly didn't notice. It was about 2:30am on Saturday.

Cop pulls me over, tells me what I did, I tell him I honestly didn't see it.

"Have you been drinking?"

"I had a couple beers at dinner but that was at around 9pm."

So he reads me the thing and tells me I need to do a breathalyzer. I blow a 0.

"By the way, I like your car!" (pointing at my Golf) "I like the OEM-plus look you VW guys do."

"YES. Thank you! That's exactly what I was going for!"

We talk for a bit about cars...he says he's a RS lurker and has been to our meets before. Says thanks for not lying to him about having beers for dinner. 90% of people lie to him in this situation.

"Well, I really didn't have a reason to."

"Okay, have a good night!" <fist bump> and I'm on my way. He could've given me a ticket for running the red but didn't.

Now, I could've been a dick like these guys citing my rights and whatever...
What rights could you have pulled that allowed you to go without letting the police do anything? Totally different scenarios than what we are discussing imo.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #57
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
"Where are you coming from"

"Where are you going?"

"Who were you with" etc.

These are the types of questions I would certainly think are questions that would violate my rights.

As for a DUI road block, the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that they are a violation of Section 8. However, it may be a justified intrusion under Section 1.

As for the U.S., the backdrop for most of the videos we see online, there are at least 10 States that have declared road blocks to be a Constitutional infringement.

I think you're mistaking "what I [think]" and "what is the [law]." Even if the law said that a DUI road block was UNCONSTITUTIONAL, that doesn't mean that I agree that it's an unnecessary intrusion and a burden on my night. However, what violates a constitutional right is not something "personal," it either does or it doesn't and in the scenarios we are discussing, by law, rights are violated by yes, even simple, polite questions.

Above is a link to a video of a man being pulled over in Vancouver. This is not an example of a provoker who goes around looking for police officers to troll. Is this a violation of any rights?

Last edited by parm104; 03-16-2016 at 11:34 AM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #58
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
What rights could you have pulled that allowed you to go without letting the police do anything? Totally different scenarios than what we are discussing imo.
You could sit there and refuse to comply...which is basically what most of these videos are doing.

"I DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS, FACIST PIG!"

"...okay, I just asked 'How are you?' but sure..."
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #59
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
"Where are you coming from"

"Where are you going?"

"Who were you with" etc.

These are the types of questions I would certainly think are questions that would violate my rights.
Why are people so hung up on what question they choose to ask?

As I said earlier unless you plan on answering with "I am just heading home from a bank robbery", they don't give a fuck the answer you are going to give. It's just a more sincere question than asking "Have you had anything to drink tonight" 1000 times in a night.

The cops are just trying to get a smell of your breath, they really don't give a fuck to hear your life story. The funny part is answering with "I don't want to answer that question" Raise more suspicion than answering the damn question. Like I said, how often are you driving home from killing your Ex-Wife and you get stopped at a road block? Why are you so scared of answering where you are coming from?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #60
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Like I said, how often are you driving home from killing your Ex-Wife and you get stopped at a road block? Why are you so scared of answering where you are coming from?
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #61
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
?
Like I said...

I am not sharing my personal beliefs here. I'm simply stating how the law is set forth. I live the type of lifestyle where I do not need to worry about anything I say to an officer who pulls me over or stops me during a road block. I don't drink so I don't worry about road blocks either. Never have I been breathalyzed or had to do a sobriety test and I likely never will have to.

I am simply speaking from a legal stand point of what is permitted in the eyes of the law and what is questionable. You and I for the most part are seeing eye to eye but I think you're getting side tracked when I start talking about the legal aspect of road blocks and whether they infringe and rights. Underscore however seems to have the ignorant viewpoint of if someone disagrees with police tactics, he must therefore hate blue.

It's important to remember that something can violate your constitutional rights and still be permitted and justified under the law.

Last edited by parm104; 03-16-2016 at 05:09 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #62
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:

As I said earlier unless you plan on answering with "I am just heading home from a bank robbery", they don't give a fuck the answer you are going to give. It's just a more sincere question than asking "Have you had anything to drink tonight" 1000 times in a night.

The cops are just trying to get a smell of your breath, they really don't give a fuck to hear your life story. The funny part is answering with "I don't want to answer that question" Raise more suspicion than answering the damn question. Like I said, how often are you driving home from killing your Ex-Wife and you get stopped at a road block? Why are you so scared of answering where you are coming from?
Bram stfu. I've read your posts and all you do is humble troll and talk shit on multiple forums. You have the most condescending demeanour towards others on forums as if everyone is inferior to you.

Fuck you Bram you ugly piece of shit. You are nothing but an internet warrior.

You've been doing this for a pretty long time now too, so I've decided to create an account just for you buddy. I'm sure you don't want anything to happen to your precious Brianna right?

So treat people with some decency on the forums and stop this macho ignorant attitude.
Monkey.King is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #63
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey.King View Post
Bram stfu. I've read your posts and all you do is humble troll and talk shit on multiple forums. You have the most condescending demeanour towards others on forums as if everyone is inferior to you.

Fuck you Bram you ugly piece of shit. You are nothing but an internet warrior.

You've been doing this for a pretty long time now too, so I've decided to create an account just for you buddy. I'm sure you don't want anything to happen to your precious Brianna right?

So treat people with some decency on the forums and stop this macho ignorant attitude.
Calling someone an internet warrior then a couple sentences later threatens Brianna.

Hypocrite much?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: