REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   keep waiting for M2 or? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708119-keep-waiting-m2.html)

skiiipi 03-17-2016 01:56 PM

keep waiting for M2 or?

So I just got a note from my dealership in Winnipeg

I was no 2 on their list.

Quote:

"*No good news for you unfortunately.* BMW only gave us the one M2.* We really don’t have any clue if we will receive a second.* I would totally understand if you’d like to cancel your order and we would be happy to refund your deposit.* Is that what you’d prefer?

Sorry about this, "

So now I'm not sure if I should just reorder from another dealership and wait for 2017 or go for a different car.

And I did confirm that 1 car is all they will be getting for the entire year

The thing is I currently am an Alberta resident but will be moving to Toronto in June, if I end up waiting for the M2 I likely won't be able to register the car as an Albertan and end up paying 7 or 8k more in taxes. Vs. Buying another car now would save me close to 10% in taxes. (Is there a luxury tax on top of the hst in Ontario? )

So question is..should I wait for M2 or should I look at buying something else?
Budget is around 70k need 4 seats ideally
But it will mostly be an evening and weekend car

kchan 03-17-2016 02:10 PM

in my honest opinion

if you really want the m2 - you wouldn't doubt yourself on it at all and keep on trying to get one

based on your previous post - it seems you are juggling between a P car and the M2

go with what you truly want - cant go wrong with either

skiiipi 03-17-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchan (Post 8738702)
in my honest opinion

if you really want the m2 - you wouldn't doubt yourself on it at all and keep on trying to get one

based on your previous post - it seems you are juggling between a P car and the M2

go with what you truly want - cant go wrong with either

Most P Car is still a bit out of my price range for now.
So M2 seemed like a good choice but never knew getting a new car would be so challenging in terms of allocation and delivery

tofu1413 03-17-2016 02:22 PM

how about buying a E92 M3 :troll:

kchan 03-17-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8738708)
Most P Car is still a bit out of my price range for now.
So M2 seemed like a good choice but never knew getting a new car would be so challenging in terms of allocation and delivery

do you need a vehicle right now?

you mention about relocating - why not wait a bit more and save up for the P car you really want

seems to me you are just wanting to get something for now and eventually move to a P car down the road

skiiipi 03-17-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchan (Post 8738713)
do you need a vehicle right now?

you mention about relocating - why not wait a bit more and save up for the P car you really want

seems to me you are just wanting to get something for now and eventually move to a P car down the road

Yea p car will happen one day
Might end up being a mid life crisis car
But for now I'm car-less so I want something relatively quick
Don't need a vehicle to commute so not super urgent
Debating calling every dealership in Toronto to see wait times
But also mad about having to pay hst

IINur 03-19-2016 09:00 AM

try previous gen. C63. About the only auto tran. car that made me smile every time I drove it, just too much fun

nsx042003 03-19-2016 10:00 AM

yea I concur on trying a E92 M3 :fullofwin:

bcrdukes 03-19-2016 10:51 AM

The one thing I noticed about car culture or general attitudes about cars in Toronto are the following. Keep in mind, these are my personal observations and colleagues in Toronto feel the same way.

1. You live downtown and you have no car, or own a pedestrian car (i.e. Civic, Corolla, Sentra etc.) They have a functional transit and bike system.

2. People don't make a big deal if their cars have been scraped, bumped, hit, regardless of make/model/prestige (or lack of.) They accept it as a way of life, and most likely the M3 you saw with a huge scrape on the fender is the guy's daily beater and probably has a nicer toy in his/her three-car garage.

3. Cars are definitely more of a means of transportation than it is a lifestyle, if comparing to Vancouver.

If I worked downtown Toronto, I probably wouldn't own a car.

bcuzracecarz 03-19-2016 11:30 AM

^^^ this, my buddy who is a huge car nut moved to Toronto and sold his car when he did. Since living there and being downtown he's had absolutely zero need for a car the whole time, and not only that, but the price of parking is heinous per month in a lot of buildings. Not being able to drive is one his main reasons he wants to come back to Vancouver, it's slowly killing him not needing a car.

Ferra 03-19-2016 12:01 PM

similar situation, had around 70K budget. (around $1k/month 3yr lease)

I considered the M2, but didn't really like it that much
Wanted to order the 981 Cayman since last Nov, but they stopped production by then, and pretty much had no choice in current inventory.
Was going to order 718 Cayman, but the order guide is still not out yet, and the car probably won't be here till 2016 Winter or maybe early 2017. (718 Boxster is available for order and should be here by Late Summer or Fall this year)

The S5 is nice and around $8-900/month. But it feels really big and bulky, plus it is at the very end of its model life.
Also checked out the M3, but it was a bit more than what I wanted to spend ($1300-1400+/month with its shitty residual)

I needed a car, so in the end, I got a 2016 GTI for $320+tax a month :fuckthatshit: (Car is actually quite fun to throw around and comes with bunch of features even on the base model, like rear camera, carplay, digital performance monitor n boost gauge)

I thought if I can't get what I really wanted, might as well go cheap instead of spending $700-$900 on some "nicer car" that I don't really care for. (e.g. 335i, S5)
Plus now i have an extra $600-$700/month to spend on some other useless shit

If you like the M2 and don't "need" a car, I'd wait to get what you truly wanted.
Btw there is no luxury tax in Ontario.

Ferra 03-19-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8739201)
The one thing I noticed about car culture or general attitudes about cars in Toronto are the following. Keep in mind, these are my personal observations and colleagues in Toronto feel the same way.

1. You live downtown and you have no car, or own a pedestrian car (i.e. Civic, Corolla, Sentra etc.) They have a functional transit and bike system.

2. People don't make a big deal if their cars have been scraped, bumped, hit, regardless of make/model/prestige (or lack of.) They accept it as a way of life, and most likely the M3 you saw with a huge scrape on the fender is the guy's daily beater and probably has a nicer toy in his/her three-car garage.

3. Cars are definitely more of a means of transportation than it is a lifestyle, if comparing to Vancouver.

If I worked downtown Toronto, I probably wouldn't own a car.

That mostly applies to the downtown hipster crowd :lol
Uptown here is more like Richmond in Vancouver...

I have a few friends who have been living and working in downtown without a car for many years tho. They go by fine, and they rent or use those car share program the few times a year they needed a car.
It is not very convenient especially during the weekend when you want to go somewhere outside of DT, but they definitely saved a ton of money not having a car and all its associated cost.

jjson 03-19-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferra (Post 8739213)
similar situation, had around 70K budget. (around $1k/month 3yr lease)

I needed a car, so in the end, I got a 2016 GTI for $320+tax a month :fuckthatshit: (Car is actually quite fun to throw around and comes with bunch of features even on the base model, like rear camera, carplay, digital performance monitor n boost gauge)

$320+tax/month? Is this based on the 3 year lease?

bcuzracecarz 03-19-2016 01:37 PM

2012 E92 BMW M3 Coupe Low KM 6SPD

tofu1413 03-19-2016 01:38 PM

jesus. 60k still..........

Ferra 03-19-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjson (Post 8739221)
$320+tax/month? Is this based on the 3 year lease?

yup $317 + hst ($0 downpayment, only paid for PPSA and some air/tire tax $150 upfront)
the residual rate is very high (61%, which is great for you)
and 0% APR when you put down $2800 security deposit. (Otherwise 0.99% APR)

i offered the first dealer I visited and test drove the car 6% off the $28,595 MSRP. (Told them if they are ok, I sign on the spot, otherwise I go shop a few other dealers.) They accepted it right away.
Dealer invoice is $25980 (9%), so you can probably get it even less if you don't mind running around and haggling a lot.

MB C300 also had some really good lease deal ($450/month, with extra 3 months free), but no manual no cares.

kkttsang 03-19-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferra (Post 8739230)
yup $317 + hst ($0 downpayment, only paid for PPSA and some air/tire tax $150 upfront)
the residual rate is very high (61%, which is great for you)
and 0% APR when you put down $2800 security deposit. (Otherwise 0.99% APR)

i offered the first dealer I visited and test drove the car 6% off the $28,595 MSRP. (Told them if they are ok, I sign on the spot, otherwise I go shop a few other dealers.) They accepted it right away.
Dealer invoice is $25980 (9%), so you can probably get it even less if you don't mind running around and haggling a lot.

MB C300 also had some really good lease deal ($450/month, with extra 3 months free), but no manual no cares.

28,595 for a new gti? I have been looking for one and they run for at least 36000. Is this price for leasing only or applies to cash purchase. Seems really good deal for a brand new gti. Is this in Vancouver? Which dealership?

nsx042003 03-19-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkttsang (Post 8739264)
28,595 for a new gti? I have been looking for one and they run for at least 36000. Is this price for leasing only or applies to cash purchase. Seems really good deal for a brand new gti. Is this in Vancouver? Which dealership?

28595 is msrp, 36k with tax and various dealer charges sounds about right. With leases you don't pay tax on the whole thing, hence the low monthly payment.

nsx042003 03-19-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 8739226)

Makes mine a very attractive deal :awwyeah:

Skiipi should wait though, and pick up a shitty car now and save enough to buy what you really want.

thumper 03-23-2016 08:36 AM

skiiipi

i don't know if this was posted before because it is a month old:

2016 BMW M2

Quote:

2016 BMW M2 - $61000 (Vancouver)
2016 BMW M2

condition: new
cylinders: 6 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 10
paint color: grey
size: compact
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: coupe

Due to changing priorities, I am looking to sell my early order 2016 M2. It is under production as metallic Mineral Grey with the 6 speed manual. There is no anticipated wait time.

kjb6t-5447200650%40sale.craigslist.org

77civic1200 03-23-2016 06:49 PM

Brian Jessel got a couple in today if you wanted to see them without going to the car show. I assume they are sold so you probably won't be allowed test drives or anything

westopher 03-23-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IINur (Post 8739184)
try previous gen. C63. About the only auto tran. car that made me smile every time I drove it, just too much fun

No definitely don't do that.
Looking at 997s, M coupes, M2, etc, I can tell that that isn't what Skiipi has been looking for. Why by a practical 4 door automatic to fill the void you have been looking for a sports car to fill.
C63 = Practical car you can have fun in
M3/997/m2 = Fun car you can be practical with
Its a big difference.
I think its discouraging to have your name down, and then get told no dice after thinking its coming. Take a long thought to see if thats why you are wanting something else, or actually want something else. Personally, if I were to buy a new car right now, the M2 is absolutely the only car I'd consider if I was spending my own money. M3 would be an option if I had someone willing to toss me 20k.

skiiipi 03-24-2016 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8740347)
skiiipi

i don't know if this was posted before because it is a month old:

2016 BMW M2

Thanks I just emailed him to ask

Auto west did offer me a grey automatic for delivery in April, but I wasn't going to settle for automatic.

skiiipi 03-24-2016 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8740588)
No definitely don't do that.
Looking at 997s, M coupes, M2, etc, I can tell that that isn't what Skiipi has been looking for. Why by a practical 4 door automatic to fill the void you have been looking for a sports car to fill.
C63 = Practical car you can have fun in
M3/997/m2 = Fun car you can be practical with
Its a big difference.
I think its discouraging to have your name down, and then get told no dice after thinking its coming. Take a long thought to see if thats why you are wanting something else, or actually want something else. Personally, if I were to buy a new car right now, the M2 is absolutely the only car I'd consider if I was spending my own money. M3 would be an option if I had someone willing to toss me 20k.

Thanks for the advice, yea I think I'll wait for now unless something amazing pops up on the used market.

belka 03-24-2016 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 8739226)

lol. People are asking way too much for their M3s right now. Maybe another year and I'll get the E90 I've wanted for a fair price.