REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 10-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #26
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #27
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I hope they make a movie where the Rebellion is Annihilated.
willieaames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #28
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Anyone unable to get tickets off of Cineplex? I get stuck on the payment screen.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
Anyone unable to get tickets off of Cineplex? I get stuck on the payment screen.
I bought tickets yesterday night but had a hard time...first loading the page and then entering scene cards...I used Chrome Incognito mode to make it work...damn cyber Monday even on Cineplex!!!!
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #30
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
This was a great action movie set in Star Wars timeline! Everything seemed to tie in well with A New Hope. The cameos were done well, without them feeling forced or cheesy. They completely CGI'd Peter Cushing as Governor Tarkin and it looked fantastic, considering the guy has been dead for 20+ years now.

K-2SO and Chirrut Imwe were awesome characters
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #31
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
^+1 Great movie, really enjoyed it! Although I think Star Wars fans are relatively easy to please, just don't have jar jar, and everyone will get pretty stoked to see the movie.
Tarkin definitely looked a little strange, but I'm glad they went that route anyways.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #32
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
^+1 Great movie, really enjoyed it! Although I think Star Wars fans are relatively easy to please, just don't have jar jar, and everyone will get pretty stoked to see the movie.
Tarkin definitely looked a little strange, but I'm glad they went that route anyways.

LOL
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #33
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

That
Spoiler!
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #34
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I'm still holding onto slight hope that Jar Jar is actually a Sith lord in hiding. All those theories make so much sense
Old 12-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Great movie 9.5 out of 10

Spoiler!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

loved it. It's a cross between 2 styles... modern & old school ep4. Only thing is these new star wars movies introduce characters wayy too quickly. I guess there is so much to the story we just need to accept the characters right away.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i almost cried at the ending...

Spoiler!
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
For those of you that have watched it already, is it suitable for a 8.6 yr old boy?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #39
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
^^....there is death....but i say go for it,Don't be one of left wings saying violence caused my kid to be bad!
Old 12-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Best Star Wars ever. No Jedi family drama. Just straight military rebel squadron assault.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #41
HELP ME PLS!!!

Spoiler!
Old 12-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #42
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Spoiler!
Uh....You know that Carrie Fisher is 60 and Peter Cushing has been dead for over 20 years, right?

What did you expect?
Old 12-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #43
HELP ME PLS!!!

They looked pretty damn real! I didn't expect them to be in the movie, that's for sure.

Who knows, maybe they got some twins or clones. How'd they do the dead guys voice?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #44
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
How'd they do the dead guys voice?
Adobe has this:

Old 12-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #45

I'm so confused about the order of Star Wars movies..

I have yet to watch one and don't know where to begin lol.
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #46
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
We saw it tonight with D-Box. It was worth the extra cost. There were explosions galore. I was amazed for the whole movie.

10/10
Old 12-19-2016, 12:43 AM   #47
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
A solid 9.5/10.

The film did a great job of deviating from the themes of the original films.

Spoiler!
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #48
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Alright

That ending was just.. goddamn!

overall, I really enjoyed it. Straight up to the point and really fills the gap between ep3 and 4

Donnie Yen is a fucking badass
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperfied View Post
I'm so confused about the order of Star Wars movies..

I have yet to watch one and don't know where to begin lol.
Consider this Episode 3.5 and by the end of Rogue One it's 3.9 (A New Hope picks up directly after the end of Rogue One)

I would pay to just watch the final like 5 minutes of the film all over again. Film started off a bit slow, but it really picked up and the space battles rivaled the ones from the original trilogy.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #50
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Saw MOST of it last night... right up until the fire alarm went off with about 20 minutes left Worst part was, there seemed to be no "security or safety procedures" at all: the ugly lights all came on, but the movie kept running. We sat there a good five minutes still watching, until one guy finally went out to find out what was up... then came back and waved at his buddy to leave with him. A few more got up after that, but it was a couple more minutes before another customer started waving for everyone to leave. Once the stream of people were holding the door open, we could hear the alarm chirp-chirp-chirp from out in the hall... but since it was in the middle of the final battle, one could have been forgiven for thinking the noise was part of the movie.

Finally as we were filing into the tunnel, we saw two little staff girls standing there to the side, talking amongst themselves and on their headsets, but never talking to us; the movie was still playing as we left, and some people were still in their seats. We were heading out of the hallway into the back corridors and realized that our theater's other fire exit was RIGHT THERE, and if someone had come to the front to direct us that way, we would have all been out a lot sooner.

Anyway, we went to Timmies for a while, then headed back to see what was up... they were still open and people were going into the later movies. They refunded our tickets and gave us extra passes as well, though I did manage to bash my elbow outside because the mall's shitty snow clearing made things super slippery...

As for the movie.... biggest complaint for me: the music kept throwing me off - it would start to sound like the original score, a couple of the same bars, then go sideways from there. Kinda grated on me and made if feel more like someone was trying to do a Star Wars ripoff. I did notice the themes got more and more like the "original" as the film progressed. I can't imagine that's accidental.

K-2SO was fantastic. Felt like kind of a blending of C-3PO with Marvin the Paranoid Android's attitude, and R2-D2's balls (because let's face it, Artoo was a gutsy little fucker who took no shit from anyone).

The space battles were incredible, and really invoked the wonder of the originals. With the newer movies (and indeed, newer combat scenes in general), the battles have become faster and more cluttered, and the action is filmed in way too close, with scenes being cut together too quickly, all which makes it hard to keep track of the action. In R1, they pulled it back, took longer shots of individual dogfights, made the battles seem big and expansive, rather than shoving you in the middle of a small part of it. Very nice.

The cameos, as Ch28 noted, were well-placed and didn't detract at all, as were the multiple references to the original universe (Sen. Organa mentions Capt. Antilles, for example). Cutting in some old footage or familiar characters was also well done, without being OVER-done.

Spoiler!

EDIT: Shit, somehow a whole paragraph vanished.

I found the banter in this a lot more organic and believable than in other recent movies, especially TFA. Nobody will likely ever match the chemistry we got from the Luke/Leia/Han trio (sure their acting was stilted at times, but how they played off each other more than made up for it and really made us care about them), but this was certainly a lot more endearing than we've been given lately (don't even get me started on Nat and Hayden... blech).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 12-19-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: