REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Very surprised by all the good reviews. I was honestly very bored during the movie and cared nothing for the characters. I remember one characters name (Jyn) and that's it.

Visuals and action were all good but...everything else was lackluster IMO.
Advertisement
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
For me it this movie wasn't about the characters.. it was about how the Rebels managed to get the plans for the death star and the X-Wing rebel squadrons assaults. I get super giddy when I see X-wing fighters in action.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #53
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Watched it a second time and I have to agree with the comments about the music not being up to par. There was a YouTube review that mentioned the composer was replaced and only had a month to rewrite the score though.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
For me it this movie wasn't about the characters.. it was about how the Rebels managed to get the plans for the death star and the X-Wing rebel squadrons assaults. I get super giddy when I see X-wing fighters in action.
Agree on this, but if the characters suck, it kinda takes me out of the movie. They don't, so it makes it more watchable. And re-watchable, moreso than TFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
Watched it a second time and I have to agree with the comments about the music not being up to par. There was a YouTube review that mentioned the composer was replaced and only had a month to rewrite the score though.
It's not even that. I mean, the Star Wars theme is pretty much the most iconic score in movie history; they could have programmed a computer to just use the original music and changed it up slightly here and there. It's not even so much that it's different, but that it abruptly switches back and forth between being the same and being different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #55
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
I saw it tonight, definitely better than The Force Awakens (for me that's not hard to do though) but not quite as amazing as I was hoping. As others said, the CGI for Tarkin was a bit off (I think they made his face move more than it should have, I assume to try and make it look more real, but it just made it look more fake). Everyone seems a lot more familiar with the Force than they are in the later films as well.

The flashbacks were new but didn't seem to out of place, I assume they were to try to make you connect more with Jin but that's hard to do when you know from the get-go she isn't in the following films. The Empire having control panels in random places was a bit odd (lets place the switch in the middle of a beach, and the reset button on some overhanging ledge for no reason), as well as the way the "tapes" were accessed. You have to manually control the retrieval of the tape, that's on an extremely long column that you can only see a short section of? What the hell do they do if it's on the other side of the column 10 stories down?

I also can't decide if the ending was good or whether it was the result of someone remembering at the last second how Episode IV starts. Bearing in mind this whole movie sort of falls apart just from the first words Vader says in Ep 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader
Where are those transmissions you intercepted?
Except in this, they didn't "intercept" anything, the plans were sent directly to them.

Onto the stuff I did like, I loved how they tied in small things from the original films without making it really obvious and forced. Things like the beeps from the little Empire droid that was on the Death Star in 4, the appearance of Mon Mothma, the mention of Wedge, those glass panels with the lit up lines (seriously wtf are those things for?), the guy with the scanner on Yavin.

The combat sequences were a lot easier to follow, and the mix of familiar ships with new ones made it a lot smoother (and the designs actually seem similar in style, not like the sudden difference in TFA). The funny parts were actually funny and not forced, they did that fairly well in TFA as well but ep 2 and 3 were pretty cringey so it was nice to see. The characters accents actually matched them as well, people who grew up barely scraping by on a backwater planet speaking with a crisp accent in TFA really put me off.

All in all, nothing that blew me away but most likely something I'll add into a Star Wars marathon (The Force Awakens sure as hell won't be).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #56
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
^^....there is death....but i say go for it,Don't be one of left wings saying violence caused my kid to be bad!
Watched it with my son and the only part he didn't appreciate was the Bodhi Rook interrogation scene.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #57

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
many clips from the trailers never made it to the actual movie. I read up on it after watching the movie and they said they reshot many parts of the movie.

Spoiler!

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold

Last edited by gilly; 12-22-2016 at 06:59 AM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #58
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^THANKS for not using spoiler tags.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #59

^^ Haha what a dick move

I watched on opening night and I actually enjoyed it more than episode 7 as well...I do love Star Wars so I am a bit bias, but overall thought it was quite well done.

Def worth the watch
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #60
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Haven't watched the movie yet, and it looks like I won't be able to for the next little while...

Spoiler or not, I would not be surprised either way whether the Rogue One team survives or not. I think the story can easily be shaped either way, and the only definitive thing everybody knows is that their mission was a success in the sense that the stole the Death Star plans, and successfully delivered it to the Rebel Alliance.

Sigh... how long did it take the Force Awakens to come out on DVD / Blu Ray?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #61

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Finally watched it tonight, would say it's on par with TFA but it's almost a different type of movie. The story I felt was more intriguing but missing the Star Wars magic, whereas TFA has the magic, except the story is kinda lame. However, I enjoyed them both.

And yes I loved the ending! Great set up for A New Hope.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #62
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
I had an orgasm during the final scene
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:00 AM   #63
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
for those of you who follow star wars rebels here is a list of easter eggs to look out for:

Here's all the Star Wars Rebels Easter Eggs in Rogue One
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #64
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Which final scene are you referring to specifically? I can think of two:

Spoiler!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #66

Leaked scene from sequel to Rogue One!

Spoiler!
Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #67
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Very surprised by all the good reviews. I was honestly very bored during the movie and cared nothing for the characters. I remember one characters name (Jyn) and that's it.

Visuals and action were all good but...everything else was lackluster IMO.
COMPLETELY agree. I give this movie a 7/10, the first 2 acts were boring as hell, I found myself moving around in my seat.

To be honest, I found Guardians of the Galaxy far better than this one.

Star Wars fans are die-hard I feel they will think a mediocre film is a 9/10 simply for the nostalgia and fandom.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of G-rated films, who knows. I just felt this film followed the same kind of story arc every Star Wars film seems to follows.

1. Crisis Occurs
2. Good guys seemly overwhelmed and have no chance in hell winning
3. The unthinkable occurs and the good guys overcome the unsurmountable odds
4 End

Yawn.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Which final scene are you referring to specifically? I can think of two:

Spoiler!
The first one of course!

Spoiler!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #69

Finally saw it tonight, I'd agree with a minority here that it was average. 7/10

The final act is great, no complaints. However the first two thirds of the film felt quite dull, made worse by some unmemorable characters. Baze Malbus: why should anyone care about him? Cassian Andor is the second major protagonist in this film and he's easily the most forgettable.

After reading here about the last minute composer situation, it all makes sense. The score always felt jarring in an unintended way. Recent blockbuster films have come under some criticism for using temp music, which is a score taken from other movies that's matched to each scene during editing. This is given to the composer as a guide for the new music he will create to replace the temp music. Rogue One felt like a similar case, where the music sounds like it was trying to take old Star Wars themes and alter them heavily. It didn't work out to an enjoyable soundtrack.

Last nitpick is that 3D screenings need to disappear. The picture gets too dark and fast action becomes blurred. Suicide Squad was even worse with these 3D problems.

Last edited by jlo mein; 12-24-2016 at 10:39 PM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #70

I think as a sci fi action movie, compared to the other stuff that is getting released, it's probably a 7/10 or 8/10 movie. As a Star Wars Movie, it's more like a 5 or 6. Maybe it should get minus 2 points for the stupid CG humans. I don't know why these movie makers keep trying! It doesn't work. Ever.

It just doesn't have much wow factor, except for the final scene. There's a bit of callbacks and stuff like that, but overall it was only "Good"
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #71
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
It was good overall, just went to see it tonight. Give it an 8/10.

I liked:
Spoiler!

I didn't like:
Spoiler!

There are probably others.

Last edited by whitev70r; 12-27-2016 at 10:17 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #72
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
They didn't make Donnie Yen's character "dorky" when they had him say "I am one with the force, and the force is with me"

He's a spiritual warrior-monk that was part of a group of people tasked with protecting the temple on Jedha
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #73
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Last nitpick is that 3D screenings need to disappear. The picture gets too dark and fast action becomes blurred. Suicide Squad was even worse with these 3D problems.
Yeah after watching Force Awakens I made sure I chose a non-3D screening. I hate 3D.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #74
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
They didn't make Donnie Yen's character "dorky" when they had him say "I am one with the force, and the force is with me"

He's a spiritual warrior-monk that was part of a group of people tasked with protecting the temple on Jedha
Came across that way to me, it got tiresome after a while. Many non-Jedis respect the force but they don't make it into a mantra ad nauseum.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #75
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I honestly think they downplay the force when used against non force users.

Spoiler!

I had a tough time staying awake for a portion of the movie though. Just couldn't keep my interest during the middle.

Berz out.