REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Rogers just increased monthly bill for existing customer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708426-rogers-just-increased-monthly-bill-existing-customer.html)

Lomac 04-15-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_chin (Post 8747498)
Uhh, it's not that mind blowing. Price will increase with the rise of people's necessities. I bet more than 75% of vancouverites don't even NEED all data minutes and data.

Stop youtubing and browsing facebook on instagram when you're on data connection and you will find that you don't even consume more than 1gb of data per month.

People need to honestly recap on their monthly usage over the past 12 months and ask themselves, do they really need unlimited minutes and 3+ gb? Can they live on a talk and text plan without data and just survive with public wifi? It is these people with the "necessities" that is driving up these plans from the big 3.

Some of us actually do require high data plans for work...

conandoyle 04-15-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8747448)
i have the fido byop plan, i just signed up like 6 months ago, wasnt a grandfathered plan or anything.

3gb, canada wide unlimited, etc...
$50+tax

how did u get this plan??? Is it still available now?

Razor Ramon HG 04-16-2016 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetazeta (Post 8747509)
Man those are some expensive plans... I actually had a pretty decent plan with Rogers that I cancelled late last year. They wouldn't let me upgrade phones with that price as the plan was too cheap. I asked several friends if they wanted the plan but none were interested....
http://i.imgur.com/A5r0J5C.jpg
Rogers: $65.5 for 6gb. It used to be $57.5 but they cancelled some of my credits even though they promised that the credits would last for the whole 3 year duration of my term. Really pissed me off when they did that so I was pretty stoked when the CRTC ruled we could cancel plans after 2 years into a 3 year plan

Switched to an employee plan with Bell and upgraded to the Nexus 6P. The plan is also better since Bell has canada wide calling and 100 extra minutes. The best thing with Bell is that I get data throughout most of the Canada line trip. When I was on Rogers, the connection was horrible and I had no data connection for most of the Vancouver stations on the Canada Line.
http://i.imgur.com/gZK35XU.jpg
Bell: $56 for 6gb

Companies are going to increase prices regardless....

I think data is more important than text messages and calling for a lot of people. I have a buddy that's using a pure 6gb data plan (no phone number, text, etc...) and he has a VoIP number that can call / receive. For me, I use very few minutes each month, and barely any text messages. 99% of my communication is done via email, whatsapp, and fb messenger. Also, another popular app that needs data is Google/Apple maps.

Was always curious what other companies offer employees.

I work for Wind and we get a free employee line with a small device subsidy that goes up every two years. I don't use it as it's still unstable for my usage, but I hope we can keep it when LTE rolls around on a few years.

syee 04-16-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8747723)
Was always curious what other companies offer employees.

I work for Wind and we get a free employee line with a small device subsidy that goes up every two years. I don't use it as it's still unstable for my usage, but I hope we can keep it when LTE rolls around on a few years.

At Telus, it was a $15/mo with unlimited minutes, texting, 3GB data. You had to purchase your own device but there was a $350 every 2 years subsidy (or $175 per year if you prefer yearly)

SpartanAir 04-16-2016 08:45 AM

Virgin @ $57.00/ month

Unlimited calling across Canada
Unlimited worldwide texting
Unlimited pic messaging US/CAN
3GB Data

I'm happy paying that. I use most of my data every month and stream music all the time, pretty heavy social media user. I live downtown so I piggyback on Shaw Open. Rarely go over 3GB. Virgin is on the Bell network so the reception is great on my Note 5.

Was a long time Rogers customer, was tired of being royally violated, then in a rash move I switched to Wind, which was an awful and expensive decision to get out of. Settled on Virgin and I've been fine.

Plus I use some member benefits like free movies, cheap Starbucks cards and H&M discounts.

EuterVanWasser 04-16-2016 11:03 AM

Yep, signed my wife up for Virgin on the same plan about a year ago; zero complaints from me.

Hondaracer 04-16-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8747697)
Some of us actually do require high data plans for work...

Data is everything for me.

I very rarely ever watch videos or stream music, 95% of my use is browsing forums/sites and things like Twitter and Instagram.

Even with 8GB I still get close, and sometimes go over

Obsideon 04-16-2016 05:18 PM

Wow 8gb just on surfing and no streaming?... wtf lol how is that humanly possible, isn't a normal webpage like 200kb? You would need to hit up like half a million websites a month.
Unless of course you go on websites with many video pop ups... :ifyouknow:

Obsideon 04-16-2016 05:21 PM

I only have 600mb and it's usually enough. I have wifi at home and at work, where I spend most of my life lol. I probably go over about twice a year by 100mb or so.