REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

S2000 or ITR?

After finally getting a place and getting a car for the wife, Ive finally saved up enough to buy a 2nd car for myself, whoop whoop! Looking to pickup a car for fun times on the weekend and trackdays and what not. Im looking at either the S2k or ITR. Before Ive had a BB6 prelude, GSR, e36 m3, e90 335i, so I have decent exposure to some cars. I know I definitely don't want german again, too many issues for my own comfort.

Both these cars are well built within Honda's prime and very reliable, and Ive always had a soft spot for the ITR cuz I couldn't get one in my younger days and Ive loved the look, especially with the JDM front. But I've always desired the way the the s2k handles, and the body styling. I've driven a friends before and it definitely feels like its on tracks when you need to corner.

I have a budget around $22kish give or take a few, and I know these cars are both somewhat within range. I know this will probably be the last "fun" car I will have before kids come out and I'll be 40 driving a mini van lol. Will mainly use it for track and weekend cruising, no need to drive other people so a 2 seater for me and the wife is fine.

If there are any other fun cars for recommendation, feel free, but jdm pref.
Advertisement
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
S2k, if you were to drive both cars back to back and pick the ITR I would be shocked.

ITR ownership is all about nostalgia IMO, the S2K is a far better overall car.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

I daily a CTR and have a s2 for the weekend, I would say go for the ITR if you need it for a dd. if not, my vote goes for the s
JDMEK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

s2k. FR>FF.

but I'd own both if I can.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
You really gotta love the ITR to give it higher marks than an S2K. If it wasn't so tight in the S2K cabin I'd own one. Pound for pound, the S2K is the better car.

Having said that, it really depends on what you can get for $22K. Both cars boast high price tags nowadays but the S2K has slightly less hype. That may steer you towards one.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Since 2 seater works for you, this shouldn't even be a question. Take s2k and don't even look back. I know there's a giant thread boasting the capability of ITR but honestly it's overblown to the max. As jasonturbo said, ITR is more of a nostalgia thing. There are some decent s2ks floating around on Craigslist so check those out.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Personally I'd get an frs and have a way newer car for the money. You could easily daily it if you had too as well
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Thanked 3,710 Times in 328 Posts
I've had both as my only car before, and without hesitating I'd choose the S2K all over again. Practicality aside, you wont regret your choice when you first take it out during a beautiful day.

DEADBEA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

S2000 for all the reasons above. I'm not up to date on the market for either but I feel like you'd have an easier time finding a better sorted S2K than an ITR. Best of luck in your decision.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
as your second car, S2K

pretty much downside to the S2K is the size. but it's not your daily so whatever.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
If I had the space and extra money, I'd pick up an S2000 in a heartbeat if I could. Life and it's priorities...
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Personally I'd get an frs and have a way newer car for the money. You could easily daily it if you had too as well
as a frs owner i vote s2k for OP.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Echo what everyone else said. S2000.

When checking out S2Ks, try sitting in the passenger seat as well, especially if your wife is going to be in the car with you a lot.

Because of x-bone frame, there's a "bar" that runs across the floor where someone's feet naturally lands. When I had my S2K, my wife found it uncomfortable for the passenger and often felt that she'd either have to put her feet forward or "step on" the bar.

You can see the bar in the image here.

prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
^ so that's what that hump on the floor is.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
congrats on OP at being in that part of your life...house...2 cars....healthy amount for a fun car before worrying about kids
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGN23 View Post
S2000 for all the reasons above. I'm not up to date on the market for either but I feel like you'd have an easier time finding a better sorted S2K than an ITR. Best of luck in your decision.
Hard to find both
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i'm biased but when I was shopping for both I knew the ITR is the more special car. Definitely a bad case of nostalgia but the lightweight everything represented Honda at its peak in their racing expertise that finally trickled down to vehicles that regular joes can afford when they released the Integra/Civic Type-R

I agree with everyone else though that S2K is a better bang for your buck. I'd even argue it's more over a driver's car but I feel the purity/rawness of the R is still superior.

Others who've have lots of seat time on the track in both cars seem to suggest ITR is an easier car to drive near its limit. May be someone with that experience can chime in again.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #18

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
if you're tall stay away from the s2k. I'm 6'2 and can not comfortably drive one.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #19

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
if you're tall stay away from the s2k. I'm 6'2 and can not comfortably drive one.
Common complaint, there is a well known trick that involves dropping the seat pan down, guys 6'4" seem to manage just fine with a quick mod.

Lowering the drivers seat. - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
^ I'm 6'4 and I drove it about 5 - 6 times. I find it nice and comfy other than the steering wheel being nonadjustable.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #21

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I had been an s2k owner and active member of s2ki forum for 7 years. Never really seen people mentioning height as an issue. It is a car that is not very tolerant of driver mistakes, particularly in rain. It's a tail happy car so probably takes more driver skills to push than an ITR.

OP, I think the answer is pretty clear.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #22
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
With a $22k budget, I am really not sure how good an AP2 you could get, assuming that they show up in that price range in the first place. You might have to throw in a few additional grands to make an AP2 purchase happen.

As one alternative, I'd also recommend the OP to consider a WRX or STI. Your list of past vehicles hasn't included anything AWD, and I'd say rounding your experience out with one could prove to be enjoyable. The low CG afforded by the Boxer engine, the insane grip, and the way the car catapults itself out of a turn are best experienced 1st hand, than to have it described to you by somebody else. These cars have also been thoroughly proven at the track, so you'd be able to use them there.

I know the OP mentioned that he prefers something Japanese, but I'd also throw my next suggestion in for good measure -- a C5 Corvette. As "crude" as an American car might be, the LSx engine is still a very endearing gem -- mash that gas pedal in any gear, at any rpm, and you will understand. The car has been around long enough that all common problems have been identified, and remedies developed. It is also a tried and true machine for track / motorsports use, and parts and aftermarket support is nothing short of phenomenal.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #23
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i do not own an s2k, but i codrive one at autox which i've had a hand in sharing costs and building the car.

i'm 5'11, 185. we've got a bucket seat in there and there's limited buckets that fit. i find the cabin clusterphobic, i personally could not daily the car. it is loud, droney, and tight if you're a bigger fellow.

theres a certain s2k tax, if you are interested in modifying, it is not an ultra expensive car to modify, but it is not cheap by any means for anything remotely good.

ie. shocks - 6k usd, sway bar 800 usd, bolts ons 3-4k usd, tune 1000 usd, wheels 1000usd, brakes 600-2600 usd, bushings 1000 usd etc and the price climbs..

now from a driving perspective, you cannot find a better car for around 20k that is this fun. the engine is great, the handling is amazing, the active rear killing you feature is great.

the car will teach you a lot of things, extremely rewarding to drive, and super super fun as a toy.

it is also ultra reliable.

pick an 06 up ap2v2 if you can, way easier to get the ecu flashed. else the 04-05 you can piggy back. the car is a completely different animal with a header and a tune, much easier to drive, way more torquey down low, makes it more livable and easier to race with.

just my experience

cars to cross shop
frs as previously mentioned - do not love this engine, it is also made of glass
nc miata with hard top - if no racing duty required, a nice option, not as gutsy as the s2k, but equally fun much roomier inside. else the softop with rollbar is a great car, now an nb with kswap will run you about 25k.. :P
370z - its a fun fun car to drive, great torque, a dated interior though, a touch on the portly side

i personally dislike awd cars, as i came from one. expensive to take care of and always breaking down when older, also the boxers are made of glass if subjected to performance use. see frs
but the straightline performance is hard to argue with, awd is useless 99% of the year imo

Last edited by ncrx; 04-15-2016 at 08:56 PM.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
^ but awd.... Could nail on the throttle coming out of corner earlier... Even on the street

Dat slingshot traction advantage on higher power AWD cars

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #25
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
S2K is a perfect weekend car. I have to agree that I found it claustrophobic as a daily. A joy to drive with the top down. RWD with more modern interior and features.

ITR has a nicely balanced chassis and very forgiving at the limit. Track focused yet spacious and easy to drive daily. ITR was limited production and even fewer are still on the roads. I have shown my car to a couple of local Honda lovers and their reactions were priceless. To others the car is invisible.

Both great cars with Honda reliability. You can't go wrong with either one. The hard part is finding a clean one within your budget.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote