REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-31-2016, 06:04 AM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
here's what u actually do, and this makes it easier if u have a home phone. call up telus and tell them u want to sign up TV internet and phone with them at what ever package deal, and set the install date 2 weeks ahead. this is where the home phone comes into play. if u have a home phone, telus will send a number port request to shaw about a weeks time before the requested port date(which is ur install date), this will for sure get shaw's attention that u mean business and ur actually leaving. 9/10 times they'll get their loyalty department to call u and try and offer u some good deals to keep u from leaving, they'll discuss with u stuff like is it the quality of service causing u to leave or price or product. if the deal they offer u is good, then stay with shaw and call up telus to cancel the install. this is speaking from first hand experience in november. the same loyalty rep tried calling me 3 nights in a roll at the time my mom said i'll be home but i couldnt make it and finally on the 4th night the rep got a hold of me.
Yeah its a pretty dumb game they play. From what I've seen:

CSR have deals 1,2, and 3. Then Outbound/inhomes/technicians has deals 4,5,6. Loyalty has deals 7, 8, 9, 10. and then finally WINBACK has deals 11, 12, 13.

Its just stupid how depending on what channel of contact you get different deals are offered and sometimes they're just $5-10 difference. So to get the absolute best deal you have to leave. Not threaten to leave but actually leave.
Advertisement
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #27
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

somebody pm me a deal for 150 internet. my 6 month 60 speed with shaw is ending soon and the rep i talked to said i cant get boxing week promo because im not new.
flipkronikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

only new customer can get great deal of internet and tv and phone
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #29
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
switched over to a triple play for telus and just got an email for 6 month premium netflix for free. it said if i'm already a member i get a ~$72 credit

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

Last edited by GLOW; 01-15-2017 at 04:07 PM.
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #30

Before I switched to Teksavvy, Shaw kept calling me everyday offering me 6 month discount to stay. I told them it's too late because I already paid about $260 for a new modem and activation fees. I said if they give me a $260 credit and internet 30 for the promo price forever, then I will come back. The agent said no to the $260 credit and to call back every 6 months and see what they can do. I'm not going to do a dance every 6 months.

And just last month Teksavvy emailed me and said they are going to lower my internet 30 by $5 to $45/month. If it was Shaw they would have raised it by $3 to $78/month LOL
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #31
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

If anybody have any Shaw related questions. You can directly call me or text me at 604-561-9301. I work in direct sales so our promotions are always VERY competitive. We give free installs and other perks, depending on what's available.

I prefer texts as it can get pretty busy with the frequent ringing, and we end up phone tagging all day. It's Jack btw
ShawGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
If your with telus and are ending three year term you can get hooked up by retentions.
TV basic with sports and 3 asian channels - $36
Internet 50 450gb - $25. You can add unlimited for $15. However it's $5 dollars first 50gb overage then $10 per 50gb after that. We don't usually go over 550gb so no point going unlimited.
Home phone with caller I'd - $10

$71 before tax. We locked it for one year too but I am free to cancel anytime. Shaw can't match. Also they can hooks you up with internet 150 at $50 if you have it in your area. After your retention meal deal is done in 6 month to a year you have to call in and have them send you straight to retentions to renew your deal. The people above like shaw guy have no power in giving you the happy meal, his only intention is to make commission of you.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #33
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Had my installer buddy hook up our new services under new account activation in the wifeys name.

Got the gateway + 2 portals, internet 150 with popular TV package for $92 taxes in for 2 years
Old 01-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #34
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

For Telus customers considering the switch..Shaws Chinese New Year Offer added..
Limited TV, Internet 150 and Chinese themepack on a value plan
- 1st year - $64.90
- 2nd year - $114.90
Averages out to about $89 a month..$100 including tax within the two years.

Msg if anybody is interested. This deal is pretty good for families who want fast internet + mainly watch chinese channels and don't like to switch back n forth between companies. Comes with up to two boxes.

$75 credit can be applied

////

or If you already have internet with shaw and would like to add tv - Only $25/35 a month for personal/popular tv for one year. No contracts.

Last edited by guurl; 01-18-2017 at 02:18 PM.
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #35
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
^ do you work in CSE downtown Vancouver?

I know of one other revscener and myself who work there right now haha.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #36
I am Hook'd on RS

^^ Another CSE here from downtown Vancouver haha
thebrownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #37
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

No not CSE lol. In home
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #38
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
How's Shaw's new IPTV solution? Anyone try it?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #39
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
give it about a year to work out the bugs and issues before jumping on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #40
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
How's Shaw's new IPTV solution? Anyone try it?
still in testing phase

no freaking idea why they decided to launch it to the public when there's so many issues on the back end

would not suggest it for now
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,725 Times in 893 Posts
If I need just Internet for now what is the best option? Shaw promotion from my friend cheapest was like 60 a month for Internet only for a year then it gets jacked up to 100 a month. I was looking into suntel and cik? But even those are roughly 55 a month and you might have to buy your own equipment. Brand new set up BTW. I'm also looking to switch from existing Telus plan Cuz my 1 year student promotion ended and Internet is like 70 a month. Any good suggestions?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
If I need just Internet for now what is the best option? Shaw promotion from my friend cheapest was like 60 a month for Internet only for a year then it gets jacked up to 100 a month. I was looking into suntel and cik? But even those are roughly 55 a month and you might have to buy your own equipment. Brand new set up BTW. I'm also looking to switch from existing Telus plan Cuz my 1 year student promotion ended and Internet is like 70 a month. Any good suggestions?
In reality nothing beats student deals so you should probably do a non-contract until you get can student deals again.
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #43
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
give it about a year to work out the bugs and issues before jumping on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyStyle View Post
still in testing phase

no freaking idea why they decided to launch it to the public when there's so many issues on the back end

would not suggest it for now
That's interesting to know. Does the product use an existing set top box or does it have a dedicated/new set top box and cable modem?

What kind of bugs are there? I assume you guys have tried/seen it?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #44
RS controls my life!

it's a new set top box strictly for cable. you will still require a modem if you would like to have internet

it requires a new platform on the back end to work since it's a comcast product. the thing is, it doesn't play nicely with the aging system that they're currently using. should be less of a hassle for brand new customers, but it can be a big headache if you're migrating from one system to the next

essentially, they're learning as they go. they're trying to adapt it from comcast to work and it's a big pain so far. very restrictive system as there's no flexibility with it

my co-worker got it installed and it stopped working a few hours in. took about 2-3 days for them to figure it out

would highly suggest to avoid it for now as it doesn't bring that much features to the table to make it worth the trouble. i'm sure in time it will get better
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #45
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyStyle View Post
it's a new set top box strictly for cable. you will still require a modem if you would like to have internet

it requires a new platform on the back end to work since it's a comcast product. the thing is, it doesn't play nicely with the aging system that they're currently using. should be less of a hassle for brand new customers, but it can be a big headache if you're migrating from one system to the next

essentially, they're learning as they go. they're trying to adapt it from comcast to work and it's a big pain so far. very restrictive system as there's no flexibility with it

my co-worker got it installed and it stopped working a few hours in. took about 2-3 days for them to figure it out

would highly suggest to avoid it for now as it doesn't bring that much features to the table to make it worth the trouble. i'm sure in time it will get better
back end you mean provisioning?

our system has been testing in the field for over a month without any issues. It is a very smooth system calling up the guide scrolling through channels etc. It has on demand contents over 3000 titles i believe since the pipe on this gateway is huge so they unlock all the content to the box.

you can pull live stats right on the TV as the games are playing. Voice command is more useful than you think. simply say TSN or sportsnet it will tune the channel for you. or you can simply say keyword like donald trump and it will give you all the contents that relate to trump.

Gateway box looks exactly like the previous gateway box except....one extra sticker at the back of the machine. Portals have the biggest change, i believe its the size of a galaxy note.

hope this gives a little more info on the new system, the whole point of paying comcast for their xfinity technology is so that we don't have to deal with any software bugs to the box, you should see how many software eng. they have for comcast that deal with this shit on daily basis.
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #46
RS controls my life!

over a month is not long enough to make sure all the kinks are worked out. we had only recently launched in vancouver for staff testing in like december? and they're already launching it to the public now!

when it's working, all fine and dandy. i agree, the voice control feature is a cool thing, but there are just too many problems with getting it all setup

took freaking four hours to remove an extra portal from an order since it was stuck provisioned. something so simple shouldn't take that long! had to get escalated through three different departments!

if it works, fantastic. when something breaks, it's a freaking nightmare

this isn't the first time the company has done this. always launching new products half ready and just trying to patch things up as they go. they should at least make sure everything is ready for a smooth sailing as much as possible before public launch

just look at the past equipment!
wireless docsis 2/3 modems
pace boxes/expanders
first generation gateway
hd guides!!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #47
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Ha. This thread just saved me $40/mo with a quick call to Telus about thinking of leaving. Still might as I have yet to compare options thoroughly, but regardless, thanks RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #48
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
back end you mean provisioning?

our system has been testing in the field for over a month without any issues. It is a very smooth system calling up the guide scrolling through channels etc. It has on demand contents over 3000 titles i believe since the pipe on this gateway is huge so they unlock all the content to the box.

you can pull live stats right on the TV as the games are playing. Voice command is more useful than you think. simply say TSN or sportsnet it will tune the channel for you. or you can simply say keyword like donald trump and it will give you all the contents that relate to trump.

Gateway box looks exactly like the previous gateway box except....one extra sticker at the back of the machine. Portals have the biggest change, i believe its the size of a galaxy note.

hope this gives a little more info on the new system, the whole point of paying comcast for their xfinity technology is so that we don't have to deal with any software bugs to the box, you should see how many software eng. they have for comcast that deal with this shit on daily basis.
What model is the set top box or gateway? I'm looking for something with a smaller footprint. I didn't like the size of the Motorola set top boxes, which is why I switched to Telus Optik years ago. Any photos would be helpful.

Also, how is the video quality? I liked Shaw's cable TV quality because I can only assume it wasn't as compressed when delivered to peoples homes whereas Telus, while it is acceptable, there's "something" about the picture quality that bothers me.

For most people, they will be okay with Telus Optik, but the picture quality bothers me, and if I can pay the premium for better picture quality, I will. I don't expect Shaw's IPTV solution to be perfect, but if it is in fact a better picture quality and user experience, I wouldn't mind trying it out for a while. I'm willing to keep my Telus Internet if it means a better installation/user setup experience for both me and the Shaw systems.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #49
RS controls my life!

haven't seen the portal in person, but it's definitely smaller from what i've seen in pictures

didn't notice a difference in video quality compared to the old equipment, but i do know what you're referring to in regards to the telus optik

as for which provider for the internet, go with whatever the better deal is
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #50
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
the gateway itself looks exactly the same as the current gateway offered by shaw, but it is XG1 specific and cannot be interchanged with the current gateway. it also has a built in modem for all IPTV traffic, and then u'll have a seperate internet modem for internet traffic only. the portals are a lot smaller now, slightly bigger than an apple TV.

https://www.shaw.ca/gateway/specs/

the product itself is great as its a proven technology from comcast, the issue is with the provisioning/accounts/billing system that shaw switched to right now that is hella buggy. just like any other company in any other field, migrating a whole back end system from one platform to another will always be hella buggy in the beginning, not to mention the limited support available currently for the new platform, case in point, a poster above mentioned his friends TV took 3 days to fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
this is exactly what is and will be wrong with shaw. they do not have the engineering resources like comcast do to fix bugs/issues on the fly. this plateform is not suppose to have any known isues or bugs as engineers are supposed to be able to push out hot patches to fix issues as they crop up. with the limited amount of engineers/resources shaw has, they try and fix an issue within 24 hrs of it being reported, and if it cannot be fixed, they escalate and rely on comcast's engineers to fix which is another 24hrs, and once the comcast engineers comes up with a fix, shaw's engineers apply the resolution which is another 24hrs. this is most likely the scenario of what happened with one of the posters friend taking 3 days to fix their TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: