REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Tv & Internet Options (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708947-tv-internet-options.html)

Koflach 05-22-2016 07:57 AM

Tv & Internet Options

My wife, kids and I are going to be moving to Langley in July and I wanted to take this chance to look at our TV & Internet plan options. We are currently with Telus TV and have been with them for about 4-5 years. Our non discounted price is about $150-$160/month but i usually get them to discount it by about 20%+ every 6 months as their prices have been creeping up year over year with no noticeable change in service.

Our current TV package is Popular Choices, Sports, Family, Entertainment Extra, Time Choice, Lifestyle.

Internet: 300Gb plan. I've gone over 150gb only once in the last 12 months and average between 120-140gb / month.

Home Phone: nope.

I really dont care about what the 6 month promotional prices are,i'm moreso interested in my actual cost is when promotions run out. If anyone here who works for Telus, Shaw or Bell can help shed some light on my options, id appreciate it. thanks.

tiger_handheld 05-22-2016 09:55 AM

in for this info as well.

guurl 05-22-2016 12:11 PM

hey guys,
will pm :) check your inboxes

SoulCrusher 05-22-2016 01:53 PM

I'm paying 160$ to telus for the same stuff. Limited options

willystyle 05-22-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guurl (Post 8757596)
hey guys,
will pm :) check your inboxes

I'm interested too.

hi-revs 05-24-2016 12:17 AM

Interested as well.

6o4__boi 05-24-2016 09:14 AM

very interested

i honestly just want my current plan with Shaw (30mbps iirc) and a cable package that consists of SNET/SNET1/SNET360/SNET Van and TSN 1/2/3/4/5

sevewone 05-24-2016 12:43 PM

First off, Bell will definitely be higher.

Your best bang for buck will be to get the TV for the promo and sell it, then devide that amount by 24 months (2YSA). you might have to switch the account to your wifes name (or whoever is living with you) to get this NEW promo deal. It also depends if your Wireless device is with Telus as they will give another discount. Being a long time client that raises your score with Telus and more discounts will be available.

I am a direct Telus employee who works in the field so I am not 100% sure on pricing. Call 310MYTV during the day, wait times usually are not to bad.

guurl 05-27-2016 12:19 PM

Have some pretty good internet only plans 30&60mbps for 6 months for Shaw no contracts. PM me for more info!!

Sorry guys I only started PMing some of you today (forgot to check threads)

John 05-28-2016 12:50 PM

Is there a reason why a good deal on internet needs to be discussed off-line in PM? Everyone's Username is anonymous already.
I am interested in hearing what deals others are getting, so I can deal knowledgeably when I am shopping again.
Thanks.

Hehe 05-28-2016 01:41 PM

It's basically power of information.

Shaw or Telus is able to offer deeply discounted packages that offer them little profit margin, but worth it to get market share.

However, they don't want their existing clients who are paying them a very high profit margin to become aware of such offer, because it's not in their best interest to let everyone on the low margin plans.

John 05-28-2016 01:51 PM

^ Your comment is completely valid, but the intended user of forum is the general public, not ISP employees. I was hoping some customers would share information on their the deals they have gotten, and give info on how to acquire them. e.g. Red Flag Deals.

tomatogunk 05-28-2016 03:08 PM

Its because these are not publicly advertised deals available to the general public. These 'deals' are generally promotional offers geared towards users of competing ISPs or ex-customers to win them back.

Typically the offer is 50% off for the first 6 months where you can add an additional $x to get the tv and phone bundle, etc etc. These 'deals' could also change at a moments notice since these are internal promotions. Lastly it is a SALES promotion after all, so the person who signs new clients up gets compensated for it. The bigger the bundle, the more they get compensated.

Only Shaw's outbound residential sales team have access to these promotional offer codes/packages. If you call in and say so & so was able to get a deal for X price, the inbound reps won't be able to pull the codes you're talking about.

DJ Milk 06-07-2016 11:59 PM

Better sign up now and get your 3 or 6 months 50% off promotion because Shaw is raising their rates again

https://www.shaw.ca/Customer-Bulleti...Rate-Increase/

ShawGuy 06-17-2016 11:25 PM

I work in Shaw's direct sale and we specialize in promos, which are also consistently better than the advertised ones online or in the call centres. If you guys need any hook ups from Shaw, Internet and phone (without TV) is on a crazy special right now. Text me (Jack) or call me at 604-561-9301.

Certain promos are ending at the end of the month. So holler soon k? :thumbs:

ShawGuy 06-17-2016 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 8759196)
Is there a reason why a good deal on internet needs to be discussed off-line in PM? Everyone's Username is anonymous already.
I am interested in hearing what deals others are getting, so I can deal knowledgeably when I am shopping again.
Thanks.

It's because companies like Shaw have policies that prohibit its employees to post its promotions and prices on any social media platform.

Reason unknown; above my pay scale :lawl:

Euro7r 12-29-2016 08:20 PM

Bumping. Currently fed up paying $160 for Shaw (TV/Home Phone/Slowest Internet).

Looking at switching to Telus, anyone score any good deals lately with Telus? Or is what I am paying with Shaw similar to what Telus is charging for the same service?

6o4__boi 12-29-2016 10:23 PM

Do you watch TV or use the home phone much?

If not, just sign up for internet 150.
I cut my cable and pretty much just stream everything now.

xjc11 12-30-2016 12:27 AM

surf internet

Hondaracer 12-30-2016 09:15 AM

Currently i get Shaw internet 60 and a bunch of channels, for $90 a month

moving to house in Van i need internet 150 with at least the same amount of channels.

Would it be beneficial to get the wifey to call in and sign up for a new customer contract? or should i try and port over my contract to the new house?

i also want the gateway system though

Nlkko 12-30-2016 02:22 PM

Cut cable and just stream. Who even use home phone anymore.

Pay 70 something for Internet 150.

Hondaracer 12-30-2016 06:56 PM

Streaming is never as good quality as legit cable. I've never seen a streaming setup that has been acceptable as of yet

GLOW 12-30-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8812865)
Bumping. Currently fed up paying $160 for Shaw (TV/Home Phone/Slowest Internet).

Looking at switching to Telus, anyone score any good deals lately with Telus? Or is what I am paying with Shaw similar to what Telus is charging for the same service?

i just switched to telus and had a triple package. $70 for first 6 months i think $150 or 155 after. 2 year contract. 150 internet basic cable with fairchild channel. just received a call today from shaw offering me $70/month for a year no contract. FFS why didn't they do this when i called in a few times before FailFish. i hate it when companies play these cat and mouse games and when it's game over they show their hand. :yuno:

Euro7r 12-30-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8813080)
i just switched to telus and had a triple package. $70 for first 6 months i think $150 or 155 after. 2 year contract. 150 internet basic cable with fairchild channel. just received a call today from shaw offering me $70/month for a year no contract. FFS why didn't they do this when i called in a few times before FailFish. i hate it when companies play these cat and mouse games and when it's game over they show their hand. :yuno:

I am going to call up Shaw and tell them Telus offering such and such @ this price, see if they will bite in to lower my bill to retain me as a customer.

I really have nothing to lose in this situation, worst case they say no deal.

TOPEC 12-30-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8812948)
Currently i get Shaw internet 60 and a bunch of channels, for $90 a month

moving to house in Van i need internet 150 with at least the same amount of channels.

Would it be beneficial to get the wifey to call in and sign up for a new customer contract? or should i try and port over my contract to the new house?

i also want the gateway system though

r u currently on a contract? if yes then u gotta move that contract over to the new house or pay the cancellation fee. if ur not on a contract then get ur wife to sign up at the new address and reap all the new sign up promos

honestly tho, for internet alone, the 2 year contract at $79.99/month for internet 150 is a great deal, and if u sign up as a new customer, ur first year is only $49.99/month and then $79.99/month for the 2nd year term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8813081)
I am going to call up Shaw and tell them Telus offering such and such @ this price, see if they will bite in to lower my bill to retain me as a customer.

I really have nothing to lose in this situation, worst case they say no deal.

if u do that, they'll just offer u like $15 off ur monthly bill for 6 or 12 months and argue with u on how great their services are compared to telus's service quality.

here's what u actually do, and this makes it easier if u have a home phone. call up telus and tell them u want to sign up TV internet and phone with them at what ever package deal, and set the install date 2 weeks ahead. this is where the home phone comes into play. if u have a home phone, telus will send a number port request to shaw about a weeks time before the requested port date(which is ur install date), this will for sure get shaw's attention that u mean business and ur actually leaving. 9/10 times they'll get their loyalty department to call u and try and offer u some good deals to keep u from leaving, they'll discuss with u stuff like is it the quality of service causing u to leave or price or product. if the deal they offer u is good, then stay with shaw and call up telus to cancel the install. this is speaking from first hand experience in november. the same loyalty rep tried calling me 3 nights in a roll at the time my mom said i'll be home but i couldnt make it and finally on the 4th night the rep got a hold of me.