REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Miscellaneous Tech & Tools (https://www.revscene.net/forums/miscellaneous-tech-tools_193/)
-   -   Pressure washer buying advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708979-pressure-washer-buying-advice.html)

IMASA 05-24-2016 09:57 AM

Pressure washer buying advice

My 10+yrs old Karcher electric pressure washer is finally dying, the pump is starting to fail. I'm considering getting a gas even though I only use the washer once or twice a year. It takes me 6+hrs to clean my parent's house, which is why I want to get a gas one.

I've been shopping around and it seems like this gas one from Costco is a good deal.
Powerplay Streetrod 2600 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer

I like it because:
- Within my budget ~$500.
- Honda engine
- Horizontal shaft engine
- AR pump

Has anyone heard of the Powerplay brand? Seems like all the usual stores are carrying this brand. I've read that Karcher's quality has gone downhill.

Any other recommendations?

Is PSI that important? The more expensive washers are rated over 3000PSI. I'll just be using this thing to clean the walk ways, driveways, patios around my parents' house and will occasionally bring it over to my condo to clean the patio deck. My Karcher was a 1400PSI unit. I looked at the newer electrics that are rated up to 2000psi, but the videos showing the cleaning power don't seem that impressive compared to what I had previously.

Great68 05-24-2016 02:32 PM

I have no experience with that power play brand, it would probably serve your intended purpose well.
2600 PSI should be fine for home use.

Personally, If it's something that I was planning on keeping for a long long time, I'd be spending a bit more money one like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000745098.html

You get a better Triplex plunger style pump, and Honda GX series motor (Considered "Commercial Grade" equipment)

I realise it's 50% more expensive, but it's probably 50% more robust as well.

blkgsr 05-24-2016 05:31 PM

my father in law got a karcher one with a honda motor from costco, no idea how much he paid but it's a nice little unit. looks alot like that one from HD

320icar 05-24-2016 05:44 PM

Honestly? But one from Costco so then when they break, it can be returned. We had a 'Subaru' power washer on sale earlier in the spring. Aaaaand I've seen almost every one come back returned. Though most likely because people treat the return policy as a rental

IMASA 05-24-2016 05:51 PM

I've seen the Subaru one in the Richmond store, it has the electric starter, wasn't sure if it was any good since I haven't seen their engines used in mowers, pressure washers, etc and wasn't sure about what pump they used. I see Ford has one as well on the Costco website. I read AR pumps are good which is why I was leaning towards Powerplay as all their pumps are AR pumps.

With Costco, I've seen specialty products like the Karcher have a note that says you have to deal with the manufacturer rather than Costco for any warranty issues. Does Costco still take the unit back or do they refer you to the manufacturer?

Great68 05-24-2016 07:39 PM

Here's all you need to know about Pressure Washer Pumps.

Pressure Washer Pumps Definitive Guide

Basically:

Wobble Plate Style = Cheap home use, non-rebuildable. Expect 200-400 hours of use.

Swash Plate/Axial Cam Style = Higher end home use. 500-800 hours

Triplex Plunger Style = Commercial Grade, 10x the life of above

godwin 05-31-2016 10:02 PM

I have a Karcher foldable Honda one (G2800XH), they always go on sale at WalMart after July for about $250, just keep an eye out at the store. I would wait till fall to power wash to be honest.

I have used it for a few seasons, I won't say their quality had gone significantly down hill (because washer frame is not that hard to make, pumps, guns and the rest are interchangeable), but their support is hit and miss. Many shops they list on their website are not their dealers (WTF!) carry their parts. I wanted to have an extra neck for the pump because it is made of RFP. It was a bit of a gong show, I complained and they courier the part to me for free.

I have to say the shop that really know their pump stuff is KMS. they sell AR, but they rarely discount. They even sold a compatible pump to my neighbour's no brand machine for $80. They explain everything in detail if people wants to know, eg you can fix the wobble plate style but you need a few of the overhead valve clamps.

If you know how to change oil on a car, you should be find servicing / fixing a gas pressure washer easy.

Zedbra 06-01-2016 06:26 AM

I've been using a cheapo Homelite for 6 years now, gets used twice per year for about 12 hours. Starts everytime, easy to roll around, more than enough for my driveway and gutters, sometimes truck cleaning.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2...000667722.html

MG1 06-01-2016 06:47 AM

Speaking of washing vehicles with a power washer, I purchased a foam cannon that, with adapters, works on both my gas and electric power washers. Hands down, best accessory for any type of power washer. I got the foam cannon from Autowerkes Exclusive

Also, for those who care, GPM (gallons per minute) numbers are pretty important. Combined with high PSI, your power washing will be much quicker than washers with lower combined numbers.

IMASA 06-02-2016 10:42 AM

I'm still leaning towards getting the Powerplay because of the "Costco warranty" should anything go wrong. My co-worker just returned a microwave that he's used for 2yrs and it started to fail and Costco took it back.

BE is a local company right? I see KMS only carries BE. Are they any good? I haven't been able to find any reviews online.
KMS has a BE that is about the exact specs as the Powerplay that I posted and the price is like $20 more.
https://www.kmstools.com/be-2-700-ps...-washer-104918

Does brand even matter if the unit uses the same engine and pump? The only difference would be the frame, gun, accessories.

Great68 06-02-2016 12:45 PM

Manufactured in Abbotsford. My uncle has a BE 2600psi with Axial pump. 6 years old and no issues.

320icar 06-02-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8758225)
I've seen the Subaru one in the Richmond store, it has the electric starter, wasn't sure if it was any good since I haven't seen their engines used in mowers, pressure washers, etc and wasn't sure about what pump they used. I see Ford has one as well on the Costco website. I read AR pumps are good which is why I was leaning towards Powerplay as all their pumps are AR pumps.

With Costco, I've seen specialty products like the Karcher have a note that says you have to deal with the manufacturer rather than Costco for any warranty issues. Does Costco still take the unit back or do they refer you to the manufacturer?

Sorry just saw this now. That note is totally false. If it broke, doesn't work for what you need, or hell, you've done what you needed to and now just want to return it? Bring it in and get a refund. No bullshit

godwin 06-02-2016 04:37 PM

The Costco one uses a smaller GPM pump than the BE one.

RMV 22G24 vs RMV 25G30D

First 2 digits is the GPM, the last 2 is the PSI/100

Both are very similar.

However one thing to consider if you are looking at other pressure washers.. don't believe what they say on the box.. look at the pump's model number and the specs online.. One time I was bored and went into the Canadian Tire on Cambie while shopping for pressure washer.. even though they marketed the specs differently and priced differently.. most of the washers uses the same model of pumps, yes motors can make a difference but not if they use the same engine model too!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8760472)
I'm still leaning towards getting the Powerplay because of the "Costco warranty" should anything go wrong. My co-worker just returned a microwave that he's used for 2yrs and it started to fail and Costco took it back.

BE is a local company right? I see KMS only carries BE. Are they any good? I haven't been able to find any reviews online.
KMS has a BE that is about the exact specs as the Powerplay that I posted and the price is like $20 more.
https://www.kmstools.com/be-2-700-ps...-washer-104918

Does brand even matter if the unit uses the same engine and pump? The only difference would be the frame, gun, accessories.

IMASA 06-03-2016 07:31 AM

Is the PSI and GPM determined by the engine or the pump or a combination of both?
For the BE, if the pump is RMV 25G30D, then that's a pump capable of delivering 2.5GPM and 3000 PSI, but the unit is advertised as a 2.3GPM 2700 PSI unit.

It seems like the BE posted by Great68 is the best deal so far. I'm not able to find the specs on the BE website, so maybe it's a discontinued model. I'll drop by HomeDepot to take a look at it this weekend. It's more than what I planned to spend, but seems like you get a lot of machine for what you pay.

godwin 06-03-2016 08:34 AM

I think it is a combination of both engine and pump.. but I think a lot of manufacturers (with multiple brands eg Canadian Tire, Simoniz etc etc) just create a false impression to create artificial price levels.. honestly who will really check? Besides the rating is up too so and so..

I checked on my photo archives.. the one G22 is made in PRC, most of the gas washers at Canadian Tire use that pump.

For KMS one good thing about the store is they let you test the equipment (especially if it is during the week).. Father's day sale is coming up and also you can "negotiate"

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8760698)
Is the PSI and GPM determined by the engine or the pump or a combination of both?
For the BE, if the pump is RMV 25G30D, then that's a pump capable of delivering 2.5GPM and 3000 PSI, but the unit is advertised as a 2.3GPM 2700 PSI unit.

It seems like the BE posted by Great68 is the best deal so far. I'm not able to find the specs on the BE website, so maybe it's a discontinued model. I'll drop by HomeDepot to take a look at it this weekend. It's more than what I planned to spend, but seems like you get a lot of machine for what you pay.

Gsxrghostrider 06-04-2016 04:15 AM

Here's my suggestion.Ryobi 3100-PSI 2.5 GPM .Had for 2 years no problems with it so far. The multi tips is handle.Purchased it for 399.99 around Father's day from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3...000756407.html

If you need a foam try everything carcare.com

2Ltr Snow Foam Lance - Everything Car Care

IMASA 06-04-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8760720)

For KMS one good thing about the store is they let you test the equipment (especially if it is during the week).. Father's day sale is coming up and also you can "negotiate"

Yeah, KMS flyer shows around a $20 discount for Father's day for all the BE's that I'm looking at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsxrghostrider (Post 8760936)
Here's my suggestion.Ryobi 3100-PSI 2.5 GPM .Had for 2 years no problems with it so far. The multi tips is handle.Purchased it for 399.99 around Father's day from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3...000756407.html
[/url]

I prefer a horizontal shaft engine over a vertical from what I've read about horizontals last longer. Plus you get a mystery pump.

EDIT: I was at Homedepot in Richmond today, they have $100 off on 2 Ryobi pressure washers.

Subaru engine: $299.99
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2...000848719.html

No name engine: $249.99
Both rated at 2700psi and 2.3 GPM.

Was tempted to get the one with the Subaru engine, but I've made the mistake many times of buying cheap tools and you just end up buying better ones of the same tool later on.

BTW, this post seems to offer some good buying advice:
Pressure Washer Purchase Advice Needed - Page 2 - The Garage Journal Board

Quote:

I have sold and service industrial pressure washers for 28 years as my sole source of income, so I believe I know a lot about them.

1. Honcho is correct, this is an industrial duty unit. Have sold and repaired many over the years and wouldn't hesitate to sell them again. All have been in high use applications and hold up well, and parts are available.

2. Az Scooter also knows what he is talking about. The wobble plate pumps on the whole are homeowner junk that are unrepairable.

3. Vertical shaft washers are a waste of money.

4. There are 2 grades of Honda motors. The GX series which have been around for decades cannot be beat. The GC series are not heavy duty and are not worth having if you plan on using your machine often or keeping it for years.

5. Always test your water supply before you buy a machine. Take the garden hose you will be using and a 5 gallon bucket and a watch with a second hand. See how much water you can put in the bucket through the hose in 1 min. Then buy a pressure washer that only uses 80% of that volume of water.

6. I'll take higher volume over higher pressure everytime. Once you get over 1500 psi, you are over the threshold pressure it takes to remove most soils. With higher volume, you can move your wand quicker and get your job done faster, provided you have the water volume needed. Higher pressure just wears out the hose, unloader, pump packings faster. I know its much easier to sell higher pressure cause it seems to make sense, but I proven it too many times to be false. Oh, higher pressure also beats whatever you are cleaning to death.

7. Avoid machines that have the unloader built into the head of the pump. The unloader valve is a wear item, so you want a screw on or bolt on unloader.

8. Some folks said don't let the machine run for long with out letting off the pressure. This is correct except the reasoning is wrong. When the trigger is shut off and the machine goes into bypass, pressure is relieved. What happens if left too long in bypass is the water heats up due to friction and starts to deteriorate the packings prematurely. Home owner models, less then a minute in bypass. Commercial grade, 3 to 5 minutes is ok. If you are running hot water through the pump, 15 seconds. Pumps don't like hot water.

9. Don't run over the hose, kills it quickly

10. Don't let the machine be exposed to freezing weather with water in it. It will break!!!

11. As others have said, DON'T LOAN IT OUT!!! You would not believe how many folks come into my shop to get loaned out machines repaired. On the cheaper models, I can't help them.

None of the big box stores sell a decent repairable pressure washer anymore. Its all about price and they have been cheapening the machines every year. If you buy one with a Honda GX motor, at least you will have a motor that will outlast 4 or 5 pumps.

godwin 06-04-2016 04:31 PM

Personally I prefer direct crank drive rather than chain drive of the Subaru, especially when there is no gearbox involved. Why complicate things? Especially if they get moved around like up and down stairs.

Oh also if you clean driveway etc a lot.. those round surface cleaners are very useful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8760954)
Yeah, KMS flyer shows around a $20 discount for Father's day for all the BE's that I'm looking at.

Subaru engine: $299.99
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2...000848719.html

godwin 06-11-2016 09:02 PM

Was at Home Depot today getting lawn sprinkler parts and I checked out the 2 models they have there

With Home Depot you can wait for competitor's 10% off coupons and match to get 12% off.

This is the Ryobi (note the exposed drive shaft, which will get gunk in there and eventually fail)
http://i.imgur.com/xSeaIsm.jpg
Less well known brand of motor (it is likely to be a clone of the Honda / BS though)
http://i.imgur.com/6z417Gs.jpg

Generac is on sale, I think later summer is the time to buy a power washer.
http://i.imgur.com/ENgnq7R.jpg
Motor
http://i.imgur.com/yYY8d5m.jpg
Pump (seems to be better finished)
http://i.imgur.com/JexXe9Z.jpg

Both are rather meh.. with solid wheels etc. I think BE ones are better.

fliptuner 12-18-2017 07:28 AM

Bump

I'm in the market for a higher grade unit. New or used is fine. Parts availability is pretty important, as I do my own maintenance.

Prefer Honda GX300 or better, 3.5+GPM, 3500+PSI

Not really sure what the best pump to look for is. I'm seeing a lot of Italian made ones.

If you see anything good on sale or CL, please give me a heads up.

Thanks

bcrdukes 12-24-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8878433)
I'm seeing a lot of Italian made ones.

Everything Italian breaks. :fuckthatshit:

MG1 12-28-2017 06:47 PM

I have an electric power washer that's made in Itallia and it works fine.............. so far. I use it when I don't feel like wheeling out the Honda gas powered one, which is more often than not.

I really should start up the Honda. I think it's been sitting collecting dust for over two years. Not good.

fliptuner 12-28-2017 08:11 PM

I'll buy it.

MG1 12-29-2017 04:17 PM

No, but you can borrow it until you find what you're looking for. At least I'll know you're taking good care of it.

I'll use it this summer............. it's not going to be like murd0c's nice clothes hanger, gulolol.

fliptuner 04-26-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8880229)
No, but you can borrow it until you find what you're looking for. At least I'll know you're taking good care of it.

I'll use it this summer............. it's not going to be like murd0c's nice clothes hanger, gulolol.

If I saw this post, I'd probably still have your machine lol