REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Fasting (Intermittent/Extended) and/or Keto

Anyone fast and/or do Keto?

Been doing it for the past 7 months, having amazing results.

willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

No but i'm considering it. What are your ways of fasting?
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
intermittent fasting has been great for me. doing is 16/8 split. meeting all my macros between 10 am and 6pm. steadily 1lb loss / week.

get used to sleeping hungry and drinking water to "fill up"
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
No but i'm considering it. What are your ways of fasting?
I switch it up on a weekly basis. This week I am fasting for 5 days, another week, I am fasting alternate days (36-40 hours). Rinse and repeat.

Most people fast 16-23 hours per day and eat one meal a day (OMAD), but it's too short for me.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
I'm on the 5/2 fast.
five days a week, i get my normal caloric/macro intake.
for those 2 days i get about 600 calories each day. Works well for me.
drinking lots of soup on the two days.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUCare View Post
I'm on the 5/2 fast.
five days a week, i get my normal caloric/macro intake.
for those 2 days i get about 600 calories each day. Works well for me.
drinking lots of soup on the two days.
I started out on 5:2, then 4:3 then ADF, now I rotate between 5-day fasts and ADF.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Why not just macro count aka flexible dieting? I've done IF before and realized if you just macro count properly you don't need to starve yourself waiting till your next meal.

Meal time frequency is thrown out the window.

If you want to lose weight or lose fat and "shred" down its just about nailing the right macros for yourself and entering caloric deficit.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Why not just macro count aka flexible dieting?
Because IIFYM/macro counting is not as effective and as simplistic as intermittent fasting pertaining to weight/fat loss. Countless of clinical studies support that.

Quote:
you don't need to starve yourself
Fasting is NOT the same as starving.

Quote:
If you want to lose weight or lose fat and "shred" down its just about nailing the right macros for yourself and entering caloric deficit.
Tell that to someone that is severely metabolically broken, nevermind macro counting. A ketogenic diet (very low carb diet) won't even be able to help him lose weight. For those that are severely metabolically challenged, fasting is the only way for them to lose weight/fat.

Calorie In/Out theory DOES NOT work. It's based on old and baseless scientific findings. Most of the contestants from the Biggest Losers that lost significant weight (over 100lb) exercising and severely restricting calories gained most of their weight back plus more. This happened to pretty much all of the winners from the show.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...iet-explained/

Last edited by willystyle; 06-08-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #9

I'm not bashing IF I'm just curious why you believe its BETTER than IIFYM or the godsend diet. If it works for you great but is it better? I personally do not think so.

The reason why some folks may be severely metabolically broken is because theyre in SEVERE caloric deficit. The biggest misconception to weight loss is people believe you need to be at 1000 calories a day to lose weight. This isn't true. Peoples calorie deficit are usually MORE than enough for the body, thats the issue.

The main goal to weight loss is to eat as much as food as you can that STILL allows you to lose body fat. Gradual weight loss, not crash dieting. Your example on Biggest Loser (Of all shows...) is exactly that. Crash dieting with INSANE amounts of exercise that the body cannot handle. They do this to their contestants because its a damn show ffs. A true proper weight loss in caloric deficit takes months and months and months. Years even. Biggest Loser isn't going to waste time filming these folks for years.

IIFYM isnt crash dieting unless you MAKE IT THAT. Its calculating your macro nutrients properly to either gain weight (Lean mass) or lose body fat. By calculating the ratios that suit your needs in theory you should steadily gain 1-2lbs a week. Or vice-versa. Or even slower/faster for people strictly wanting to lose weight.

I hope you realize you're basically using IIFYM. You're still MACRO counting with IFD...

I had a friend who did IFD and loss weight with success, don't get me wrong. Then realized that IIFYM worked so much better. He was able to eat WHEN he wanted and eat WHAT he wanted. Lost weight, and still IS losing weight + gaining strength in the gym.

Its all about calculating the right macros.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
I'm not bashing IF I'm just curious why you believe its BETTER than IIFYM or the godsend diet. If it works for you great but is it better? I personally do not think so.
This is why IF is better than macro counting. IF isn't all about weight loss/fat loss (though it's a nice benefit and many are using it strictly for that purpose). It's your body's natural state to heal itself.

https://authoritynutrition.com/10-he...ttent-fasting/

I agree to disagree. The only thing I am counting is my net carbs. I eat 3000 calories per day and I still lose weight, and alot of it too. I've eaten as much as 4000 calories/day, and I still lose weight/fat. Can you do that on an IIFYM diet without calorie restriction? No, you cannot! Because most macro-based diets are high carb, low fat diets. You will gain weight or not have any weight loss progress if you don't restrict calories. I will leave it at this because if I need to prove my point further I will need to draw from my own personal experiences (blood work results, total weight loss, etc.), which I will not on a public forum.

Last edited by willystyle; 06-09-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #11

You can go either direction. You can go for lean mass gain, mass gain, fat loss or weight loss.

I just want to clear the air that you can do all that without having to time your meals. Meal frequency is the biggest misconception. It reminds me of the ridiculous 30 minute anabolic window to get your protein in after a workout.

Like i said if it works for you and anyone else, then great.

But for people who WANT TO eat WHEN they want; IIFYM allows you to reach those goals without having to not eat for however many hours. ZERO restrictions. Just throwing this out there and giving my two cents on this topic. Take it as a healthy debate (No pun intended )(Btw this is coming from myself who's done IIFYM with success, I'm not just blabbing; obtained a pro card in two national natural fitness competitions and seen first hand how much its help others lose weight).

If you're interested in someone who does IFing, look up Timbawolf. Very popular fitness coach from Toronto who does IIFYM but also does IFing. Other people to consider who have YouTube channels are Layne Norton, Matt Ogus, 3DMJ coaches, theonlinecoach (Raymond Querido), etc.

Last edited by JSilver; 06-09-2016 at 07:33 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
This is why IF is better than macro counting. IF isn't all about weight loss/fat loss (though it's a nice benefit and many are using it strictly for that purpose). It's your body's natural state to heal itself.

https://authoritynutrition.com/10-he...ttent-fasting/

I agree to disagree. The only thing I am counting is my net carbs. I eat 3000 calories per day and I still lose weight, and alot of it too. I've eaten as much as 4000 calories/day, and I still lose weight/fat. Can you do that on an IIFYM diet without calorie restriction? No, you cannot! Because most macro-based diets are high carb, low fat diets. You will gain weight or not have any weight loss progress if you don't restrict calories. I will leave it at this because if I need to prove my point further I will need to draw from my own personal experiences (blood work results, total weight loss, etc.), which I will not on a public forum.
If I have to I could post my results and experiences as well with IIFYM done the right way. I could also follow up with other folks I know personally who have done it in a fat loss direction with pure success.

I understand you strongly feel IF is the "right" way but it is no better than IIFYM. It's flexible. When done right you can eat all day without sacrifice. IF you sacrifice flexibility which in life why would you want to restrict your daily routine of eating.

Like I said I've done IF and believe me, eating 4000 calories in an 8 hour window is not easy. Unless 4000 is your deficit.

It works for you, great. You made this topic for opinion and this is mine lol. And to everyone out there if you want to restrict the time when you want to eat? Go for it. I will just sit here and eat what I want WHEN I want.

Why put your body in a mental state of waiting to have your next meal, which would be in the next 16 hours. Boggles my mind.

I understand your point but a lot of folks out there don't realize you still have to dial in the right macros to IF. You can't expect to eat whatever you want in that feed window and lose weight. It doesn't work.

Last edited by JSilver; 06-09-2016 at 11:03 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #13
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
I think the biggest thing for me after fasting is losing the whole "hangery" mode.
i eat when i want to eat.
not because my stomach is growling and i want to snap people's head off if i haven't eaten in the last 6 hours.
i agree with you, whatever works and keeps you healthy.
i just found it very liberating that i don't feel like a slave to my hunger.

also, if you want your food to taste spectacular? don't eat for 48 hours, whatever you eat will be the best food ever. As they say, hunger is the best condiment .
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
If I have to I could post my results and experiences as well with IIFYM done the right way. I could also follow up with other folks I know personally who have done it in a fat loss direction with pure success.

I understand you strongly feel IF is the "right" way but it is no better than IIFYM. It's flexible. When done right you can eat all day without sacrifice. IF you sacrifice flexibility which in life why would you want to restrict your daily routine of eating.

Like I said I've done IF and believe me, eating 4000 calories in an 8 hour window is not easy. Unless 4000 is your deficit.

It works for you, great. You made this topic for opinion and this is mine lol. And to everyone out there if you want to restrict the time when you want to eat? Go for it. I will just sit here and eat what I want WHEN I want.

Why put your body in a mental state of waiting to have your next meal, which would be in the next 16 hours. Boggles my mind.

I understand your point but a lot of folks out there don't realize you still have to dial in the right macros to IF. You can't expect to eat whatever you want in that feed window and lose weight. It doesn't work.
Like I said, different schools of thoughts. No one is wrong, do what works for you.

At the end of the day, this is a thread about IF, NOT IIFYM/Macros. If you want to discuss that, go make a thread about that. Otherwise, go troll somewhere else.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You guys should try fasting during the time us Muslims fast. Right now its roughly 18hr days without food or water. The first week is rough but after that your body adjusts to it.

Here are some websites that shows the benefits.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/life...n-Ramadan.html

The spiritual and health benefits of Ramadan fasting | SoundVision.com
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:40 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

you would think that intermittent fasting is worse for your metabolic system than ITFYM

if you're losing weight eating 4k calories a day I don't think you should be using the biggest loser examples lol

if the contestants ate 4k calories a day but did intermittent fasting i very much doubt they would still lose as much weight (or even any weight for that matter)
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:23 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Going to try Keto in January, any tips?
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
Going to try Keto in January, any tips?
r/keto
r/ketorecipes
i lost 45lbs in 3 months this year. u can pm me if u have any questions
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #19
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Been almost a month and i'm down over 20 lbs. Seems like doing keto has lowered the amount of calories I take in as I don't feel as hungry.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:53 PM   #20
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,298 Times in 955 Posts
fasting is interesting, just like ramadan, it takes time and adjustment.

do keep in mind, you won't be able to just go cold turkey during summery.
Here's an example: You won't be able to do it if you're a construction worker; 24+ degrees, working under the sun and all day physical labor.

If you stay home, have air con, eat before sun rise, and then a small feast during sunset, it is do-able.

Say you're in sales, it'll be tough or if you're doing like professional sports, close to impossible.

For those who are in sales who has to entertain, you get to bank that 1 day and add it onto the end of ramadan etc.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
if the contestants ate 4k calories a day but did intermittent fasting i very much doubt they would still lose as much weight (or even any weight for that matter)
One of the recent Joe Rogan Experience podcasts with Rhonda Patrick mentioned Time Restricted Feeding, where in studies that had groups (cant rmb if on humans or mice or both) eating the same amount of calories and macros, except one restricted their timing to only a certain window of time (~10-12 hours) vs more.

The time-restricted group had significantly more muscle mass without doing any additional physical exercise than those who ate the same amount/macros but outside of the time restriction.

Rhonda Patrick said its because our bodies can metabolize at a much better rate during the 'daytime' for the body's circadian rhythm, so eating the calories during which the mitochondria are most efficient will impact muscle mass (and on the flip-side, fat, I presume) more positively than eating the same thing outside of this window.

4k calories is insane, but according to the studies of TIme Restricted Feeding, 4k within the window in which your body is most efficient at metabolizing food, is better than a portion of that 4k being eaten outside of this window.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
So i did this after i got back from my vacation. Ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting 18/6 and 4 days working out, using this program: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...ld-lean-muscle

Went from 189lbs oct 10 2017 to 156lbs Feb 4 2018 total lost so far 33lbs. I do plumbing so, i wake up 6am, start work 730am and have first meal at 11am-12pm stop eating 7pm-8pm. Im getting leaner and stronger. I took whey the entire time and just started taking creatine. Im probably going to continue this diet for a while since it works for me. Even during christmas and new years when i ate lots of crap and drank lots of alcohol i still lost weight per week. Im a believer now lol.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #23
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
oh wow i stumbled upon this thread by accident. i started 16/8 intermittent fasting just cuz from someone recommending it, so far ~3 weeks in and lots ~5 lbs. take an adjustment in terms of feeling a bit low energy in the morning and near the end of the work day.

any thoughts on drinking black coffee during the fast? i drink a cup when i get in to work in the morning to start my day before my fast ends mid morning.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #24
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,754 Times in 8,158 Posts
I did Keto when it was called Atkins. Had good success with it, but not life changing

I prefer IF, because it lets me adhere to a pretty severe low calorie count. Just have some caffeine in the morning, and by the time I finish my workout I'm ready for my first meal. From there I just count calories and keep it low, which is easy to to because there's only half a day left.

Coffee is fine during a fast
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #25
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I did Keto when it was called Atkins. Had good success with it, but not life changing

I prefer IF, because it lets me adhere to a pretty severe low calorie count. Just have some caffeine in the morning, and by the time I finish my workout I'm ready for my first meal. From there I just count calories and keep it low, which is easy to to because there's only half a day left.

Coffee is fine during a fast
ya that's why i like it too. last meal around 6pm, sleep, wake up, skip breakfast, black coffee and eat foot mid morning and be like

i've read coffee is ok if your body is ok with it, but also read it can increase acids in your stomach affecting your lining and could cause things like ulcers, which was why i was asking.

my coworker suggested keto but i can't give up dem carbs mang

so if you get off IF or keto and just do a normal 2000cal diet again, does all the weight come back, or only if you go overboard on eating/calories/bad food?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote