REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Lol 2 years? Had to be courtesy car or employee car.

Get extended warranty if you're in for the long run.
Advertisement

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #27
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Lol you are a real fucking spazz eh? You think that 2 years of driving is going to equate to 20% of the purchase price maintenance increase? Can you even fucking math?
lol Westopher, I think it's clear you are in the minority who seems to have unsubstantiated confidence in the reliability of Euros. Take a fucking deep breath, and try to think before digging a deeper hole.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
I think you are completely misinterpreting what I said.
I never said european cars are reliable, especially new ones.
I said that buying a used european car has nothing to do with not being able to afford a new european car.
I also said a 2 year old european car isn't going to be less reliable than its identical 2 years newer model.
I think its clear that there were 2 different conversations happening.
Take a deep breath, and re read.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #29

Look man, if you still don't understand after this post, I give up.

I'm talking about statistics here. Generally speaking, Euros are far more unreliable than its Japanese counterparts, thus the huge depreciation associated with them.

My point is, it makes no sense for someone to try and save $ buying used Euros because, on average, they will be paying for maintenance down the road. It's only an illusion that you are saving upfront, because you'll be paying later. There is a reason why people who can actually afford Euros buy new, then get the fuck out after warranty is over, not necessarily because they can't afford, but because it's not worth the pain and the time. The poorer just enjoy the trickle down effect of the richer getting rid of them, unfortunately many times not knowing the maintenance expenses required to maintain them.

2 years older car will be less reliable than its identical 2 years newer model, period. This seriously confuses me. It doesn't even matter whether it's Euros, Japanese or domestic, older cars will be more susceptible to issues.

Despite improvement in recent years, electrical problems continue to plague some euro cars. There isn't much you can do to prevent that with maintenance.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #30
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Man I didn't know I belong to the Euro-peasant-fanboy-trying-to-fakerich support group by buying a used Bimmer because I like its V8.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #31

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Should have just bought an MDX and not been such a poseur.
Frozen, I understand what you are trying to say, but you are
A) generalizing that every euro car is unreliable, which is absolutely stupid.
B) Saying that a car will cost more in maintenance because its older, which it can, or can't. You say it definitively which is obviously wrong because all ownership experiences vary.
C) arguing to me that japanese cars are more reliable than european cars. Plenty of euro cars are pieces of shit. So are plenty of Japanese cars. And american cars. Not once did I mention any japanese car so I'm not sure the fucking point you are trying to make here.

Look at it this way AGAIN SINCE I'M TALKING ABOUT ACTUAL EXPERIENCE BUYING A CPO GERMAN CAR
I bought my mk5 gti for 23k with 60k on it. 10k less than its matching counterpart that was brand new.
I owned it for 3 years and sold it for 13.5k. It was under warranty the whole time so I spend $0 on anything other than oil changes.
The same 09/2010 GTIs were selling for 13-15k at the same time I sold my car in 2013.
23-13.5k = 9.5k loss in a 3 year ownership
32k-15k =17k loss in a 3 year ownership
17k is more than 9.5k. So is it still the same cost to buy used? This isn't a one off, thats the way buying used cars works. Thats why people buy used cars. Would it have been different if I owned it for 20 years? Probably. Do you know how long the OP plans on owning the car? How much a new GLE is? (since the GLK is no longer made) How much he's paying? Of course you don't.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 07-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #32

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Despite improvement in recent years, electrical problems continue to plague some euro cars. There isn't much you can do to prevent that with maintenance.

LOL all my euro had workmanship problems...

Only electrical issue was a shitty relay and dead batteries from sitting at the dealer for too long.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

"Judging people does not define who they are ..... It defines who you are."
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I know I am likely one who shouldn't talk here, but seriously guys?

Give it a rest, some people will buy euro cars, some will buy asian "imports", others will buy domestic. Speaking in broad generalizations doesn't help anyone.

Op came on asked a question about a specific car, now look at where this discussion has degraded to.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #35

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
I eat GLK/GLA and X4's every day of the week.
that feeling when you cut off a brand new Q3. Its priceless. And scars the other driver for live.
it is satisfying.
When you cut off a Q3 with your Escape while making BOV noises.

Whatever floats your boat I guess...
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I know I am likely one who shouldn't talk here, but seriously guys?

Give it a rest, some people will buy euro cars, some will buy asian "imports", others will buy domestic. Speaking in broad generalizations doesn't help anyone.

Op came on asked a question about a specific car, now look at where this discussion has degraded to.
hush you. this is solid entertainment.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #37
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Dude asked for an opinion on a specific car, and you are just sitting there being completely irrelevant saying how used euros are for posers. Even if that was actually his motive, who gives a flying fuck. Answer his question and stop going off topic.

And you wonder why i don't post much on revscene anymore LOL
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #38
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,148 Times in 100 Posts
shit..i just fall into the used euro fan boy catagory.
2001 Nissan R34 Skyline GTR V spec 2

IG: Cw_unit

輝く ヘタクソの星 - 柒撚懵懵食甜筒
C-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Should have just bought an MDX and not been such a poseur.
Frozen, I understand what you are trying to say, but you are
A) generalizing that every euro car is unreliable, which is absolutely stupid.
B) Saying that a car will cost more in maintenance because its older, which it can, or can't. You say it definitively which is obviously wrong because all ownership experiences vary.
C) arguing to me that japanese cars are more reliable than european cars. Plenty of euro cars are pieces of shit. So are plenty of Japanese cars. And american cars. Not once did I mention any japanese car so I'm not sure the fucking point you are trying to make here.

Look at it this way AGAIN SINCE I'M TALKING ABOUT ACTUAL EXPERIENCE BUYING A CPO GERMAN CAR
I bought my mk5 gti for 23k with 60k on it. 10k less than its matching counterpart that was brand new.
I owned it for 3 years and sold it for 13.5k. It was under warranty the whole time so I spend $0 on anything other than oil changes.
The same 09/2010 GTIs were selling for 13-15k at the same time I sold my car in 2013.
23-13.5k = 9.5k loss in a 3 year ownership
32k-15k =17k loss in a 3 year ownership
17k is more than 9.5k. So is it still the same cost to buy used? This isn't a one off, thats the way buying used cars works. Thats why people buy used cars. Would it have been different if I owned it for 20 years? Probably. Do you know how long the OP plans on owning the car? How much a new GLE is? (since the GLK is no longer made) How much he's paying? Of course you don't.
Holy fuck. Why are sharing your detailed ownership experiences? In the end it's just one sample and you can't seem to wrap your head around this. When people make a decision to buy a car, they look at the overall reliability associated with that brand. Your experience is absolutely pointless because I can count off top of my head at least several people who had nightmares owning a used euro. But I won't say euros are shit because they represent only a few cases. The truth is, on average, euros will likely suffer more reliability issues than Japanese cars. Older cars, on average, will suffer more reliability issues.

So no, generalizing isn't stupid, because using big data is what people should do when making a decision, not based on a few cases.

Your A, B, and C sound absolutely stupid seriously. No wonder you're a chef.

This thread wouldn't have strayed off so badly if this euro fanboy hadn't chimed in and started spewing nonsense. Also, OP had already made up his mind anyway. As I had mentioned earlier, car is an emotional buy so he'll do whatever the fuck his "heart" tells him to do
Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #40

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Fuck off with the personal attacks. It's a discussion forum, people have varying opinions. Deal with it.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #41

every car is meant for someone. everyone has different taste. if everyone buys Japanese imports, the world will be boring.

maintenance on my wife cost more than any car ive owned
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #42
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnail View Post
every car is meant for someone. everyone has different taste. if everyone buys Japanese imports, the world will be boring.

maintenance on my wife cost more than any car ive owned
Is she Japanese or euro?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
Is she Japanese or euro?
Lol was just about to ask that.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:09 AM   #44

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Probably Italian
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
Is she Japanese or euro?
she is actually a hybrid , asian/ euro
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #46
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
Not to get involved in this cuz ain't nobody got time for drama but....

I just bought my pre owned e92 M3 because I fucking wanted one, could I have afforded to lease a new m3? probably, but I didn't want that car, I wanted a big greasy noisy v8 with a 6 speed manual and a million smiles per gallon. I sat there, looked over the history of the car as a whole, made my decision, then went and hunted for the exact one I wanted. Now if some guy wants to go buy an old golf r32 over the new r, let him have it, it comes down to this... It's not your money, not your decision, let guys do what they want... Who gives a flying rats ass what 4k on maintenance is a year when your losing that much on depreciation in one year anyways! Lol and that's IF IF IF something bigger goes wrong. And the same can be said for euro, Japanese, Asian, or spaceships

Okay I'm done, back to the gas station for another 150km full tank smiling the whole way
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #47
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Holy fuck. Why are sharing your detailed ownership experiences? In the end it's just one sample and you can't seem to wrap your head around this. When people make a decision to buy a car, they look at the overall reliability associated with that brand. Your experience is absolutely pointless because I can count off top of my head at least several people who had nightmares owning a used euro. But I won't say euros are shit because they represent only a few cases. The truth is, on average, euros will likely suffer more reliability issues than Japanese cars. Older cars, on average, will suffer more reliability issues.

So no, generalizing isn't stupid, because using big data is what people should do when making a decision, not based on a few cases.

This thread wouldn't have strayed off so badly if this euro fanboy hadn't chimed in and started spewing nonsense. Also, OP had already made up his mind anyway. As I had mentioned earlier, car is an emotional buy so he'll do whatever the fuck his "heart" tells him to do
Lol you are an idiot. Where is your data? You have to show numbers then. Reliability/cost of ownership for each vehicle. Show me. You sound absolutely stupid.
I have a 2010 GLK saved big money buying used. no issues/problems. So should I have bought new?
And you or someone else was saying you are a poser to buy a used euro. You should only buy new? That makes no sense at all. Never buy a used car then period.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #48
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

Why dont you just shut the fuck up and go buy your brand new euro you fucken goof
bossha is offline   Reply With Quote