REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Picking up a cpo GLK250, what to look for

So after years of owning acura (4), Decided to make move to euro brand. 2014 glk250 (all packages)
I never had mechanical problems with any previous cars. CEL etc.

So wondering what to expect with glk.

It's under full coverage till Jan 2018 thereafter engine and trans till 2020.

I have been offered to extend full coverage till 2020 that I'm considering,
Can any glk250 owners or otherwise chime in with experience maintaining the car.

Thanks
Advertisement
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
The BlueTEC stuff is junk.....these are the words used by my father (Mercedes tech) as well as many others who work there.
If you get one, get full coverage for as long as you plan on owning it. Turbos are known to go. Oil leaks a plenty due to the placement of the turbo and high heat concentrations.
The DPF's are often replaced around 50k on the cars so if your buying used budget $4000ish to replace that as I do not believe it will be covered by warranty.

There are 11 TSB's out on them and 1 Recall so make sure that the car has been fully serviced and up to date before you buy otherwise you may end up with a lemon.

IMO I would not touch one with a ten foot pole but others have had decent experience with them, however they bough new and most are in another vehicle by now.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW

Last edited by BoostedBB6; 07-09-2016 at 12:30 PM.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
There are 11 TSB's out on them and 1 Recall so make sure that the car has been fully serviced and up to date before you buy otherwise you may end up with a lemon.
I hope with a CPO this is all taken care of...

Before we got the CLA, I was looking couple year old Bluetech E-Classes. Fuel economy was a huge draw for us, but in the end problems seemed to plague the line, and there were very few of them around compared to the common place E350 or even E550.

Can I ask why you wouldn't look at the GLK350's? Or is it just this one that caught your eye?

Better yet, have you had a look at the Audi Q5/S5? I keep a close eye on the SUV market, and all the offerings, and honestly out of everything out there, I think the Q5/QS5 offers the best of everything across the board.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

I would far rather get the Audi than any of the GLK line vehicles.
The draw of the fuel mileage and styling is there but after hearing countless stories of these things being nothing but junk I would never buy one.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

thanks for input guys

i wanted the 250 for torque and i like looks of the glk (fuel eco is a plus). i just paid deposit , (now reading all reviews kinda scared). we did write under terms and condition "upon obtaining satisfactory financing" can simply say i wasn't satisfied with financing even though i was approved w/ mb finance. -not sure what i can do about it-or just walk away

isn't DPF suppose to regenerate or clean itself? until faulty, is it should be covered for 7 years under emissions warranty

i got work history on VIN
only A/B/A service was done/one CEL(no detail)/ and during CPO adblue was added/all brakes/tires were replaced.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #6

^I...would personally walk away from that.

2014 already one CEL?

If you want torque, any German will have it (especially coming from Acura)
jjson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #7

Emissions is 8 year /130000kms. You will be over on kms far before the 8 years which is the problem.
The DPF should self clean but it does not work well and never has.
For most people there is no point in looking at the warranty length only the kms and Mercedes sucks that way. There kms are very low for the length of time.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
I'm a newb what's a cel?
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjalapeno View Post
I'm a newb what's a cel?
Check engine light.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:36 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You should have made this thread before you are about to pick it up. Seems like you already made up your mind and just wanted us to tell you what we think about it. Well I think any used euro car is garbage because they are not reliable. But if you want to be budget balling then it's an ok car. In about a year, you will probably wished you bought another Acura.
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I never understood the rationale behind people buying used euros. It's like they barely have enough money to afford them but desperately want to obtain that brand. Priorities?
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^
that's exactly right. in this city, where everyone has to maintain a bling/baller image, they run out and lease the cheapest BMW or Mercedes they can get their hands on to protray that image.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I never understood the rationale behind people buying used euros. It's like they barely have enough money to afford them but desperately want to obtain that brand. Priorities?
Maybe they have the logic that they don't desperately to have the newest, best car so they lose 30k in the first 2 years of ownership?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #14

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
In my case, the comparable Acura/Infiniti/Lexus models of the same year were all at least 40% more with higher mileage and less transparent vehicle history. It wasn't a very difficult choice.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #15

Thanked 1,964 Times in 535 Posts
I think this thread went off topic fast....

Personally I know someone who has a 2010 ML BlueTec as DD since new, no problem I have heard so far, and he drives alot, lives in Vancouver, works in Richmond... but once again, either me or the owner are mechanically inclined.

As for the discussion for used Euros, I agree with Westopher, I do not think anyone that can cash purchase a used E92 M3 will be unable to finance a F80 M3, in many cases the F80 will be cheaper, as it is under warranty/less maintenance etc etc

But 2 things you benefit getting in to a late game with previous gen Euros (at least from an enthusiastic POV)

1) You do not take the stupid depreciation buying new

2) On the market long enough to know its weakness which much can be solved mostly by going aftermarket (which will void your new car warranty), and also for those who research will be fully prepared of what he is getting himself into

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Maybe they have the logic that they don't desperately to have the newest, best car so they lose 30k in the first 2 years of ownership?
Amazing logic, except for similar price you can get a well-equipped new Japanese car that will be much cheaper to maintain for years to come. In the end, car is just an emotional buy for many people and they desperately want the brand to please those who give no shit about. Please spare me the "not wanting to take a huge depreciation hit" reason . They depreciate quickly for a reason. You save upfront buying used but lose more $ on maintenance down the road.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #17

Yeah, but last I checked, some people like german cars. I could have got a new civic for the price of my old e36 but I guess I'm just trying too hard to be fakerich.
I bought my 07 gti in 2010 for 25% less than I would have paid for a new one.
I drove it for 3 years and sold it for the same price as I would have if it was a 2010, because they were the exact same car. I couldn't care less that someone drove it before me and it had nothing to do with not affording a new one. I bought a car I wanted for a price that was better than the other one that was newer. How is that complicated?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #18

Thanks for all the replys.

After owning Japanese cars, I fully know the reliability of thr brands. Have owned 4-5 over last 20 years.

I did expect that mb, will be more maintain know the higher cost of ownership.
Considering its fully covered till 2018 +cpo and getting option for full coverage for 3\160k at a discounted cost

This thread was not to compare German and Japanese reliability (apples and oranges). I was merely asking if anyone had exp. With bluetec and glk250 specifically.

Let's not get off topic.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

There is soooo much wrong in this post I don't even know where to begin.

Perhaps your mistaken for the om642 V6 diesels in 09+ ML,GL,R class, E class which do have reliability issues relating to the urea injection and oil leaks. Turbo's are dead reliable and are almost never replaced unless it has had insufficient oil changes causing sludging.
DPF's are not commonly replaced and deffinatly not at 50km

In terms of the GLK, the chassis and electronics are reliable. The 4cyl om651 engine has only been out since 2013 and so far it's been pretty reliable. Only issues have been from the urea injection causing check engine lights but the major components like engine,trans , turbos are pretty solid.

there is deffinatly no doubt the cost of ownership and reliability of gas is way better then diesel no matter what brand you go with due to the new complex technology of urea injection to meet emission standards, he'll why do you think Volkswagen omitted it from there cars... Lol

I would summarize by saying the GLK250 is one of the few MB's I would recommend to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
The BlueTEC stuff is junk.....these are the words used by my father (Mercedes tech) as well as many others who work there.
If you get one, get full coverage for as long as you plan on owning it. Turbos are known to go. Oil leaks a plenty due to the placement of the turbo and high heat concentrations.
The DPF's are often replaced around 50k on the cars so if your buying used budget $4000ish to replace that as I do not believe it will be covered by warranty.

IMO I would not touch one with a ten foot pole but others have had decent experience with them, however they bough new and most are in another vehicle by now.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #20

I eat GLK/GLA and X4's every day of the week.
that feeling when you cut off a brand new Q3. Its priceless. And scars the other driver for live.
it is satisfying.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Yeah, but last I checked, some people like german cars. I could have got a new civic for the price of my old e36 but I guess I'm just trying too hard to be fakerich.
I bought my 07 gti in 2010 for 25% less than I would have paid for a new one.
I drove it for 3 years and sold it for the same price as I would have if it was a 2010, because they were the exact same car. I couldn't care less that someone drove it before me and it had nothing to do with not affording a new one. I bought a car I wanted for a price that was better than the other one that was newer. How is that complicated?
God, you aren't very smart are you? We are talking about overall reliability here. A couple of random dudes here and there having gone through trouble-free Euros mean jack shit. I seriously hope you don't go out praising the reliability of Euros based on your experience. How is that complicated?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #22

You sound like a pretty ignorant asshole when you say people who don't buy new euro cars are just broke and trying to impress people.
You can go buy an acura, and the OP can buy the car he wants based on information from people that actually know things, instead of your opinion about how people spend their money.
A 2 year old euro car is going to be the exact same reliability as a new one if it was well kept for those 2 years. Especially looking at a car with a warranty being an option. Nobody said it was an Acura, nor did the op ask about them.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 07-10-2016 at 03:58 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
I eat GLK/GLA and X4's every day of the week.
that feeling when you cut off a brand new Q3. Its priceless. And scars the other driver for live.
it is satisfying.
Gululu wtf r u taking about. They are no Chinese car brands in Canada, I can't imagine u driving anything else
Old 07-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #24

Quote:
You sound like a pretty ignorant asshole when you say people who don't buy new euro cars are just broke and trying to impress people.
You can go buy an acura, and the OP can buy the car he wants based on information from people that actually know things, instead of your opinion about how people spend their money.
A 2 year old euro car is going to be the exact same reliability as a new one if it was well kept for those 2 years. Especially looking at a car with a warranty being an option. Nobody said it was an Acura, nor did the op ask about them.
Did you just pull that out of your ass? I mean, did you actually fucking read what you just typed? You reek of euro fanboiness. Stick to driving your E36 and stop being monumentally stupid.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #25

Lol you are a real fucking spazz eh? You think that 2 years of driving is going to equate to 20% of the purchase price maintenance increase? Can you even fucking math?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 07-10-2016 at 06:20 PM.
This post thanked by: