REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i'm hoping France has a massive army...All these terrorists are doing is kicking a massive ant pile,another billion is about to be spent in fighting...Hopefully...Bastards.
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
i'm hoping France has a massive army...All these terrorists are doing is kicking a massive ant pile,another billion is about to be spent in fighting...Hopefully...Bastards.
Whats the army going to do? Lock the door to the Mosques?
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma View Post
We are SO lucky to live in Canada.
I agree, but don't think for one minute that our country is impervious to these types of attacks. It would be naive to think that Canadian society is somehow in perfect harmony and that individuals who perpetrate these types of attacks are not indoctrinated whilst residing in Canada.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Be thankful we aren't connected by land or sea to any Islamic states or the 3rd World. We are also fortunate to have a no-bullshit, well armed buffer in the USA to keep us sheltered. The immigration and border issues of Europe are multitudes worse than in NA. We would fold like a lawn chair.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #30
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I agree, but don't think for one minute that our country is impervious to these types of attacks. It would be naive to think that Canadian society is somehow in perfect harmony and that individuals who perpetrate these types of attacks are not indoctrinated whilst residing in Canada.
Doesn't help by letting in any amount of refugees.

Fucking world man, FUCK..it really fucking sucks to when it happens to great places that have great people. Things will never be the same.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nma View Post
We are SO lucky to live in Canada.
Yes and no. We may not have had any major terrorist attacks on Canadian soil recently to this large of an extent, but we have certainly not been spared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_V...terrorism_plot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_S...ramming_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_s...t_Hill,_Ottawa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E...eline_bombings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi...ines_Flight_21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_O...ror_conspiracy

Etc., etc., etc.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Can we just start a "latest terror attack, mass murder, or police brutality" thread and sticky it already?

Same narratives from the same members over and over and over regardless of the unique details.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #33
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Can we just start a "latest terror attack, mass murder, or police brutality" thread and sticky it already?

Same narratives from the same members over and over and over regardless of the unique details.
I've been thinking about making one for awhile now and after todays attacks its sadly time I guess

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70962...ml#post8772531
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Anyone can do anything they want, regardless of what obstacles you put in the way, which is why I find that the hysteria is simply not warranted every time this happens. It's okay to live in a bubble of modern convenience and luxury, there is nothing wrong with that, but you also have to remember that these kinds of things happen literally every day in places that western media does not see as being profitable to report on.

This is nothing new, there is nothing different about this. This has been happening for thousands of years, and it's going to keep happening until the human race is either void of what makes us human, or is extinct.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #35

Its news when it happens in the West because we do not live in a backwards shithole where violence is a way of life. Also, its natural for people to relate to stories and people when they share a similar lifestyle. We aren't ruled by a theocracy or military dictator. We have freedom of/from religion, freedom of speech, etc. or at least some semblance of freedom. We live in a society which aims to use diplomacy and democracy over violence. Unlike in these backward shitholes, violence is not commonplace. When a violent act occurs, it is news worthy because the norm is an expectation of peace. What is more news worthy, a reporting of car crashes at a demolition derby, or a multi-vehicle crash on Hwy 1?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #36
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I'm worried that these type of events have been happening more and more often at more civilized corners of the world.

What keep the 1st world more "civilized" is that we are safe and can have cooler heads watching from the outside meaning we can mediate conflicts in a peaceful manner. The more we are attacked on our backyard the less empathy, sympathy we feel. This is troublesoome. When everyone is on edge then a big war can break out which is not good for anyone.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
If this ends up being a terrorist attack, how long do France and western nations continue to experience this pain until a full-blown war occurs?

Just so sad and terrible.
And what exactly will they fight a war against?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #38
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Its news when it happens in the West because we do not live in a backwards shithole where violence is a way of life. Also, its natural for people to relate to stories and people when they share a similar lifestyle. We aren't ruled by a theocracy or military dictator. We have freedom of/from religion, freedom of speech, etc. or at least some semblance of freedom. We live in a society which aims to use diplomacy and democracy over violence. Unlike in these backward shitholes, violence is not commonplace. When a violent act occurs, it is news worthy because the norm is an expectation of peace. What is more news worthy, a reporting of car crashes at a demolition derby, or a multi-vehicle crash on Hwy 1?
That's the cute answer always given by the willfully blind, who like to believe in the"we're better than them" argument. they ignore all the acts of violence going on in their country not attributed to whom they dislike, and for the odd time something tragic happens to the target of their dislike they cry "what do you expect?! They're savages"

It's quite a sad and pathetic world we live in where hate and insanity is found everywhere, and those that do hate always feel they're the good or just one, and they always have their noses held up high, be it Isis, or another terror group, or a extremist blm or alm person, or a nonviolent bigot, etc etc, its all the same, the similarities are astonishing

Like i said at the start, the world needs to calm the hell down

Last edited by StylinRed; 07-14-2016 at 11:25 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 AM   #39
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtate4442 View Post
how to remain tolerant to migrants? To remain friendly and not suspicious?
Act like a normal human being.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
That's the cute answer always given by the willfully blind, who like to believe in the"we're better than them" argument. they ignore all the acts of violence going on in their country not attributed to whom they dislike, and for the odd time something tragic happens to the target of their dislike they cry "what do you expect?! They're savages"

It's quite a sad and pathetic world we live in where hate and insanity is found everywhere, and those that do hate always feel they're the good or just one, and they always have their noses held up high, be it Isis, or another terror group, or a extremist blm or alm person, or a nonviolent bigot, etc etc, its all the same, the similarities are astonishing

Like i said at the start, the world needs to calm the hell down
In what measure of standard is the 3rd or 2nd World considered superior or on par with the 1st World: Infant mortality, life expectancy, education, infrastructure, rights and freedoms, etc? Violent crime and murder rates have been steadily dropping in Canada and other 1st World nations for decades. No one is pretending that violence doesn't occur, but to suggest a 1st World country has anywhere near the violence of a 3rd World country is laughable.

I'm not suggesting the the people of these backward shitholes are inferior or stupid. There are intelligent people throughout the world, I really shouldn't have to say that. I'm pointing the finger at the theocratic governments, the military dictatorships, the religious/political movements etc which keep their people in the dark and ignorant of reality, reason, and logic. They are inferior and they are getting increasingly violent as they lose their grip of influence on their people as they gain access to information through social media and technology.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 07-15-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #41

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
. Why is France targeted multiple times?
These losers are French nationals, belgium nationals, etc., they're attacking what they hate - the free country they feel marginalized them and turned them into the petty criminals and drug users, which led them to become radicalized and act out.

this guy lived in Nice, is a loser, acted out like a petulant child instead of buckling down, working hard, and making good of his life.

Last edited by 4444; 07-15-2016 at 04:40 AM.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:12 AM   #42

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Be thankful we aren't connected by land or sea to any Islamic states or the 3rd World. We are also fortunate to have a no-bullshit, well armed buffer in the USA to keep us sheltered. The immigration and border issues of Europe are multitudes worse than in NA. We would fold like a lawn chair.
hold on a minute here... almost all these terrorists that have recently attacked in Europe were born in Europe to immigrant parents.

I can't speak to how many have traveled to Syria / Iraq, but it's not all of them.

Don't be fooled into thinking anyone is more or less safe than anyone else. the difference here is that Europe has had mass migration from north african countries (don't forget Europe colonized a lot of these places years ago, so in theory it should make sense to bring in 'connected people'), these immigrants have children, but they aren't integrated and become a second class group living in less affluent neighbourhoods (some would say ghettos), with lower levels of education, fewer opportunities - this is partially why you have a backlash from people that feel marginalized and reach for something to act out.

the advantage to the US and Canada is that immigration from so far can be a lot more selective, which is why you historically tend to get better educated migrants from muslim parts of the world who can and will integrate better.

Europe needs to stop being politically correct and stand up to these losers.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:19 AM   #43
I STILL don't get it

I read about the attack in Nice on BBC and while it sounded horrific it's only when I saw this video posted by a friend on Facebook it really hit home how fucked up this was.

(Very graphic)
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=6f1_1468538550

People can argue all day and night about politics, refugees, terrorism, civil rights and police brutality, but when I see shit like that I feel insignificant....like a grain of sand. I think to myself "Could just as easily been me." But I was born into this life and not theirs as luck, fate or whatever has it.

With all the chaos going on in the world I wonder what the hell to do? Stand for something or believe in nothing? Growing up you see crazy attacks happening all over the world and I said eventually it must end, but it never does and I really wonder what is the answer? It's like a domino effect. Seems like no matter what's going on money, resources and religion are always at odds. A whole new generation is either wiped out or left orphaned, uneducated and fueled with hate as the unfathomly wealthy pulls strings to plunder the earth keep their pockets full as the world turns.

Does it boil down to religion? The more I look at religion or what dogma people dub as "faith" the more I question what good it has brought. Surely it has created as much chaos as it has harmony. Opiate of the masses as they say.

The wealthy take it all, suck it dry and like Marshall McLuhan said, they use red meat to distract the watchdog of the mind while people slaughter in the name of God; bitch and moan about Trump vs Clinton; proclaim black lives matter or all loves matter or just play Pokemon Go.

Im not a pessimistic person but it really feels like something big is going to happen in my lifetime and not for the good. It's like a really fucked up recipe for disaster:

1/2 cup bat shit crazy orange orangutan potentially controlling the US (or substitute with one in bed with all the banks).
2/3 cup dwindling resources as the east and west prepare to battle it out for the last remaining oil, minerals and soon water. Thanks Koch brothers.
2 tea spoons of terrorism declared in the name of religion/death to the west/defending their country from western invasion (thanks bush for creating Isis you cunt). Thank you as well religion.
1 pending financial breakdown (either China or the US....if history and Minsky has taught us anything is that we never learn.) Thank you Rotheschild.

Slow cook for ??? and let's see what happens next. Oh right the rich get richer, the middle classes is purged and the poor die. Rinse and repeat as we forget our history and repeat the mistakes of our forefathers.

What can one do?

Last edited by R. Mutt; 07-15-2016 at 08:26 AM.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
In what measure of standard is the 3rd or 2nd World considered superior or on par with the 1st World: Infant mortality, life expectancy, education, infrastructure, rights and freedoms, etc? Violent crime and murder rates have been steadily dropping in Canada and other 1st World nations for decades. No one is pretending that violence doesn't occur, but to suggest a 1st World country has anywhere near the violence of a 3rd World country is laughable.

I'm not suggesting the the people of these backward shitholes are inferior or stupid. There are intelligent people throughout the world, I really shouldn't have to say that. I'm pointing the finger at the theocratic governments, the military dictatorships, the religious/political movements etc which keep their people in the dark and ignorant of reality, reason, and logic. They are inferior and they are getting increasingly violent as they lose their grip of influence on their people as they gain access to information through social media and technology.
You realize that a lot of these countries you have soo generally referred to as "backwards shitholes" were at one time stable, peaceful and thriving societies. However, because of outside interference (cue western imperialism) dictators, juntas and other forms of concentrated state power were allowed to emerge and were subsequently supported via funds and arms in order to control these areas via proxy.

I am not being an apologist for attacks perpetrated like those of Nice, Paris, Baghdad, Boston and Brussels...but at some point we here in the west (and yes that includes Canada) need to take a good long look at some of the foreign policies our governments are adopting and understand the consequences that come as a result of them.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #45
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Quote:

Bouncing Bettys you've never traveled outside of North America, have you?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #46

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Bouncing Bettys you've never traveled outside of North America, have you?
lol da fuq, what does him travelling have anything to do with what he said? every empirical statistics support his post lmao

gotta post this urrvytime too

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 07-15-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #47
linguistic ninja

Because close minded idiots like to aggregate countries into "us" and "them" (e.g. 1st world and 3rd world). They then assign a value of life based on their perceived "worthiness".

First of all, the terms "1st world" and "3rd world" is anachronistic and refers to Cold War allegiences. There are no absolutes in a world. Travel would open your eyes up to that.

Anyone who's traveled outside of the "1st world" knows that the world holds much more gradients that those 2 categories. China's considered "third world", so is South Sudan. Conversely, Switzerland is "first world" as is Greece. No one but an idiot would conflate either of those countries to be similar in living standards, infant mortality, economic prowess etc.

Also, I find it highly insulting that you correlate the value of an human being is by it's government which in many cases the average citizenry had no hand in placing in power. It's one thing to place more value on those who we relate with, that's human nature. But to show so little compassion and to justify it on a quasi-scientific basis, that kind of ignorance only comes from being a close minded idiot.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 07-15-2016 at 10:40 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #48

Question the knowledge of another poster and imply they're a close minded idiot multiple times. So glad we could have this discussion.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #49
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
RIP to the innocent ones.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #50
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Question the knowledge of another poster and imply they're a close minded idiot multiple times. So glad we could have this discussion.
Discussion implies discourse, of which I don't think has occurred between us yet.

But to bring my point back to the topic at hand. This Nice perpetrator, the Bataclan attackers, Orlando attackers, San Bernardino, Ottawa - they've all been "home grown" terrorists. Born in-country to long time legal law-abiding immigrants.

This isn't so much an "us vs them" conflict. More of a "we have a cancer in us, how do we treat it or cut it out?" one