REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   activity in these forums (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710008-activity-these-forums.html)

twitchyzero 08-17-2016 12:22 AM

activity in these forums

have they taken a nose dive in the last year or so?

i know posts are more concentrated in the mega threads...but is overall activity slowing down? Not during the summer month which is probably normal. some times i like checking out new threads...i don't bother with most of the ongoing ones that requires following what's going on. I like popping into the RE thread but half of it has become arguments on varying lifestyles and less about the topic. I avoid CL good buys thread because i dont have the disposable incomes like many here so really it's come down to the shitty driver videos these days. I may have a look-see in VLS threads and help answer some questions but not much activity there either.

it also feels like there's less newbies/youth. as the regulars get older we get busy/lose interest but it seems like there's minimal newbs that leave the lurking stage and become regulars to keep the steam going.

the car reviews are great...so thanks for that. May be we can get something similar going. Sorry don't have ideas...just stating my observations.

tl;dr i think we all just need some more scammer drama to stir the pot :BibleThump

urrh 08-17-2016 01:22 AM

i avoid the mega threads too. just can't be bothered
i do miss our kpop summers. rip kpop thread

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2016 02:02 AM

Do you think more members would be more active if the site was more mobile friendly?

Also we need to prune the amount of forums we have, there's just so much clutter it's hard to know where to even look for content.

StylinRed 08-17-2016 03:09 AM

Yep activity is lower, it didnt help that the old members bitched about lots of new threads and had everything consolidated, but then newbs would get bitched out for starting new threads, so newbs got scared off

Also the car scene isn't as big as it used to be... Hell drive by a high school during school hours and the parking lots basically empty...

Only way to revive RS is for the older folks to be more welcoming, and for the site to be more VLS (social) instead of VAC/VOT... eeew

maybe Cruise Pokemon/movie meets, etc etc would require a lot more mods working a lot more than we have now organizing all sorts of stuff

Or just ride it out and wait for the natural cycle of interest to come again :)

asian_XL 08-17-2016 03:26 AM

the Hongers I know on RS are all disappeared and many now have kids and driving a mini van :(

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2016 03:29 AM

I haven't driven a car in 5 years nor owned one for 10 years LUL

I don't even think my license is valid anymore, I'd probably have to do the test again

bcrdukes 08-17-2016 04:42 AM

I would go as far as to say that VLS is in a real slump and is not worth reviving.

Mind you, most of us, as in users from pre-2002/2003, have outgrown RS. I still come on, lurk, troll, post racist shit, get banned, and tell Armind to STFU non-stop, but there is no longer an appeal to me.

Mega threads like the Craigslist cheap deals thread is exhausting and a dick swinging contest. I enjoy reading Timpo's threads more, but even he doesn't post as much. The Like and Thank system really ruined it for me. I find that it doesn't encourage posting, trolling, and Internet fights. That's what made Revscene what it was! There are days where I look forward to getting banned and brought back again (time after time) to stir the pot, but general consensus gets all PC and tree-hugger hippy.

Revscene has gotten soft over the years. RIP Revscene. :okay:

MarkyMark 08-17-2016 06:00 AM

Most users ever online was 4,211, 12-04-2003 at 09:36 AM.

The times have changed, and the Fast and the Furious came out 15 years ago. Kids these days don't waste their time ricing out a Honda when their parents will buy them a BMW.

Slifer 08-17-2016 06:02 AM

The activity has been slowing down since the thanks/fail system got introduced. I think people don't want to get failed so they stopped posting.

Vansterdam 08-17-2016 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8780901)
Most users ever online was 4,211, 12-04-2003 at 09:36 AM.

The times have changed, and the Fast and the Furious came out 15 years ago. Kids these days don't waste their time ricing out a Honda when their parents will buy them a BMW.

I was always curious as to why so many people were on this forum that day

BoostedBB6 08-17-2016 06:28 AM

Facebook replaces forums now. Huge forums like Honda Tech are now hollow shells of what they used to be and its all because of social media......sadly it seems there are no more intelligent people just the same stupid questions asked time and time again.

RRxtar 08-17-2016 06:47 AM

Every thread gts ruined by the same handful of people. I won't continue following a thread once they post as it always turns into a shit fest immediately after.

I don't come on here for car stuff. Mostly current events discussion but that has died down a lot because of the above ^

RFlush 08-17-2016 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8780907)
Facebook replaces forums now. Huge forums like Honda Tech are now hollow shells of what they used to be and its all because of social media......sadly it seems there are no more intelligent people just the same stupid questions asked time and time again.

I would say Reddit as well. All the news and current things are on Reddit first, then people just copy it to RS.

Mancini 08-17-2016 07:21 AM

I've noticed this as well. Posts that would previously generate big interest take days to get replies.

I miss the old days of virtually anything goes in off topic. Then, the stricter rules actually made it a place to find out about current events. Now, it might be good to loosen restrictions just to generate interest. ROOGP.

Revscene holds a special place for me. When I finally cracked and got internet at home it was the first place I signed up. But I'm not as young as I used to be.

dachinesedude 08-17-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slifer (Post 8780902)
The activity has been slowing down since the thanks/fail system got introduced. I think people don't want to get failed so they stopped posting.

get rid of the fail system, i think the thanks system is ok as it's a positive thing

BoostedBB6 08-17-2016 07:37 AM

I cant say the fail thing really makes a difference to me however I can see how it may to others. I will always speak my mind, fail or not, but I can see how it may discourage people from posting.

May be a good idea to remove.....but gone would be those fun posts with 100+ fails for being a massive idiot :P

Ikkaku 08-17-2016 07:45 AM

There hasn't been any unique topics or threads blowing up on RS for a really long time. For example, in the past we had the $14 baller, bradford chow, wonder vs wAnder, etc. those things brought a lot of posts and got the forum going.

Old members eventually grow out of it, and younger people don't rely on forums anymore. Gone are the days where lots of car-specific forums or shop specific cars meet up and cruise around.

EmperorIS 08-17-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dachinesedude (Post 8780919)
get rid of the fail system, i think the thanks system is ok as it's a positive thing

I agree with this. I personally dgaf about getting fails, but ever since its introduction RS has been declining.

The biggest motivator for a forum is the discussion, good or bad. When you can easily fail someone and not have to voice your opinion, you are really taking the soul out of it.

Say what you like, but its always the troll/controversial threads and posts that gets the community discussing.

I'm not saying turn this whole off-topic section in to bodybuilding.com/misc. But a thread starter enough to get people F5ing for the next post.

MG1 08-17-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8780928)
When you can easily fail someone and not have to voice your opinion, you are really taking the soul out of it.

I hate that part of it. People failing others and not explaining why or having the balls to state their own opinion.

Anyway, I'll always be here........... for shits and giggles.

Armind 08-17-2016 08:25 AM

The only thread I have interest in these days is the Real Estate thread.

Other than that, I miss the days when the unce crew take over RS chat.

Spoiler!

bcrdukes 08-17-2016 08:28 AM

STFU Armind

Berzerker 08-17-2016 08:28 AM

There are forums for everything these days. One for every manufacturer and make. RS still holds it's own. My usual routine is log on, scan chat, hit New Posts and see what's up. Repeat 10 times a day.

The fail system nobody really cares about anymore. At first people got all butthurt over getting failed but now does anyone really care?

Having a mobile friendly version would be most welcome. I always wait until I'm on PC before logging in. I refuse to surf the site on my phone.

Berz out.

6o4__boi 08-17-2016 08:31 AM

lol fails always seem to rustle jimmies

i admit, it bugged me at first but then you learn to not really give a damn quickly
could try out what RFD did which is a thumbs up thumbs down system

meme405 08-17-2016 08:34 AM

Way too many sections.

Almost the entire technical discussion area is a ghost town. There is literally a section for a new sponsor which has nothing in it. Just taking up space.

The Revscene Nation section is a waste.

The police forum hasn't seen a new thread in 2 months. Just take that and make it a subsection in the VAC.

I always wonder what I am missing since I refuse to click into so many different sections. Needs to be consolidated.

Not having the site mobile accessible definitely hurts, most kids these days do everything off their phones, hence why lame ass Social media groups with 3500 members are so popular. Even though they operate like cancer.

Also on a simillar note, the sections changed their order a few months ago. That really pissed me off. Anyway to send them back? The police section used to be on the bottom.

Gucci Mane 08-17-2016 08:45 AM

+1 for making the site more mobile friendly. for whatever reason i cant click the little tab for likes or private messages from my phone. this is on android 6.0 with chrome browser.