REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
activity in these forums

have they taken a nose dive in the last year or so?

i know posts are more concentrated in the mega threads...but is overall activity slowing down? Not during the summer month which is probably normal. some times i like checking out new threads...i don't bother with most of the ongoing ones that requires following what's going on. I like popping into the RE thread but half of it has become arguments on varying lifestyles and less about the topic. I avoid CL good buys thread because i dont have the disposable incomes like many here so really it's come down to the shitty driver videos these days. I may have a look-see in VLS threads and help answer some questions but not much activity there either.

it also feels like there's less newbies/youth. as the regulars get older we get busy/lose interest but it seems like there's minimal newbs that leave the lurking stage and become regulars to keep the steam going.

the car reviews are great...so thanks for that. May be we can get something similar going. Sorry don't have ideas...just stating my observations.

tl;dr i think we all just need some more scammer drama to stir the pot :
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
i avoid the mega threads too. just can't be bothered
i do miss our kpop summers. rip kpop thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:02 AM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Do you think more members would be more active if the site was more mobile friendly?

Also we need to prune the amount of forums we have, there's just so much clutter it's hard to know where to even look for content.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Yep activity is lower, it didnt help that the old members bitched about lots of new threads and had everything consolidated, but then newbs would get bitched out for starting new threads, so newbs got scared off

Also the car scene isn't as big as it used to be... Hell drive by a high school during school hours and the parking lots basically empty...

Only way to revive RS is for the older folks to be more welcoming, and for the site to be more VLS (social) instead of VAC/VOT... eeew

maybe Cruise Pokemon/movie meets, etc etc would require a lot more mods working a lot more than we have now organizing all sorts of stuff

Or just ride it out and wait for the natural cycle of interest to come again

Last edited by StylinRed; 08-17-2016 at 02:24 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 03:26 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
the Hongers I know on RS are all disappeared and many now have kids and driving a mini van
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 AM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
I haven't driven a car in 5 years nor owned one for 10 years

I don't even think my license is valid anymore, I'd probably have to do the test again
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I would go as far as to say that VLS is in a real slump and is not worth reviving.

Mind you, most of us, as in users from pre-2002/2003, have outgrown RS. I still come on, lurk, troll, post racist shit, get banned, and tell Armind to STFU non-stop, but there is no longer an appeal to me.

Mega threads like the Craigslist cheap deals thread is exhausting and a dick swinging contest. I enjoy reading Timpo's threads more, but even he doesn't post as much. The Like and Thank system really ruined it for me. I find that it doesn't encourage posting, trolling, and Internet fights. That's what made Revscene what it was! There are days where I look forward to getting banned and brought back again (time after time) to stir the pot, but general consensus gets all PC and tree-hugger hippy.

Revscene has gotten soft over the years. RIP Revscene.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Most users ever online was 4,211, 12-04-2003 at 09:36 AM.

The times have changed, and the Fast and the Furious came out 15 years ago. Kids these days don't waste their time ricing out a Honda when their parents will buy them a BMW.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 06:02 AM   #9
I came, I saw, I conquered.

The activity has been slowing down since the thanks/fail system got introduced. I think people don't want to get failed so they stopped posting.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #10
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Most users ever online was 4,211, 12-04-2003 at 09:36 AM.

The times have changed, and the Fast and the Furious came out 15 years ago. Kids these days don't waste their time ricing out a Honda when their parents will buy them a BMW.
I was always curious as to why so many people were on this forum that day
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Facebook replaces forums now. Huge forums like Honda Tech are now hollow shells of what they used to be and its all because of social media......sadly it seems there are no more intelligent people just the same stupid questions asked time and time again.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #12
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Every thread gts ruined by the same handful of people. I won't continue following a thread once they post as it always turns into a shit fest immediately after.

I don't come on here for car stuff. Mostly current events discussion but that has died down a lot because of the above ^
Old 08-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #13
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Facebook replaces forums now. Huge forums like Honda Tech are now hollow shells of what they used to be and its all because of social media......sadly it seems there are no more intelligent people just the same stupid questions asked time and time again.
I would say Reddit as well. All the news and current things are on Reddit first, then people just copy it to RS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've noticed this as well. Posts that would previously generate big interest take days to get replies.

I miss the old days of virtually anything goes in off topic. Then, the stricter rules actually made it a place to find out about current events. Now, it might be good to loosen restrictions just to generate interest. ROOGP.

Revscene holds a special place for me. When I finally cracked and got internet at home it was the first place I signed up. But I'm not as young as I used to be.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
The activity has been slowing down since the thanks/fail system got introduced. I think people don't want to get failed so they stopped posting.
get rid of the fail system, i think the thanks system is ok as it's a positive thing
dachinesedude is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #16

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
I cant say the fail thing really makes a difference to me however I can see how it may to others. I will always speak my mind, fail or not, but I can see how it may discourage people from posting.

May be a good idea to remove.....but gone would be those fun posts with 100+ fails for being a massive idiot :P

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #17
degenerate extraordinaire

There hasn't been any unique topics or threads blowing up on RS for a really long time. For example, in the past we had the $14 baller, bradford chow, wonder vs wAnder, etc. those things brought a lot of posts and got the forum going.

Old members eventually grow out of it, and younger people don't rely on forums anymore. Gone are the days where lots of car-specific forums or shop specific cars meet up and cruise around.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #18

Thanked 3,843 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
get rid of the fail system, i think the thanks system is ok as it's a positive thing
I agree with this. I personally dgaf about getting fails, but ever since its introduction RS has been declining.

The biggest motivator for a forum is the discussion, good or bad. When you can easily fail someone and not have to voice your opinion, you are really taking the soul out of it.

Say what you like, but its always the troll/controversial threads and posts that gets the community discussing.

I'm not saying turn this whole off-topic section in to bodybuilding.com/misc. But a thread starter enough to get people F5ing for the next post.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #19
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
When you can easily fail someone and not have to voice your opinion, you are really taking the soul out of it.
I hate that part of it. People failing others and not explaining why or having the balls to state their own opinion.

Anyway, I'll always be here........... for shits and giggles.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
God of Unce

The only thread I have interest in these days is the Real Estate thread.

Other than that, I miss the days when the unce crew take over RS chat.

Spoiler!
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #21
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
STFU Armind

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #22
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
There are forums for everything these days. One for every manufacturer and make. RS still holds it's own. My usual routine is log on, scan chat, hit New Posts and see what's up. Repeat 10 times a day.

The fail system nobody really cares about anymore. At first people got all butthurt over getting failed but now does anyone really care?

Having a mobile friendly version would be most welcome. I always wait until I'm on PC before logging in. I refuse to surf the site on my phone.

Berz out.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol fails always seem to rustle jimmies

i admit, it bugged me at first but then you learn to not really give a damn quickly
could try out what RFD did which is a thumbs up thumbs down system
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Way too many sections.

Almost the entire technical discussion area is a ghost town. There is literally a section for a new sponsor which has nothing in it. Just taking up space.

The Revscene Nation section is a waste.

The police forum hasn't seen a new thread in 2 months. Just take that and make it a subsection in the VAC.

I always wonder what I am missing since I refuse to click into so many different sections. Needs to be consolidated.

Not having the site mobile accessible definitely hurts, most kids these days do everything off their phones, hence why lame ass Social media groups with 3500 members are so popular. Even though they operate like cancer.

Also on a simillar note, the sections changed their order a few months ago. That really pissed me off. Anyway to send them back? The police section used to be on the bottom.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #25

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
+1 for making the site more mobile friendly. for whatever reason i cant click the little tab for likes or private messages from my phone. this is on android 6.0 with chrome browser.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote