REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
ICBC Rate Hike - 2016 Edition

Couldn't find the thread where we discussed the issue last year. ICBC is once again looking for a ~5% raise in basic rates:

ICBC wants to hike basic rates because of rising number of claims, legal costs - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
​ICBC wants to increase insurance rates by an average of $3.50 per month for basic coverage in order to offset costs caused by an increased number of claims and the rising cost of settling those claims.

The provincial insurance corporation said it is asking the British Columbia Utilities Commission to approve a 4.9 per cent rate increase because it says "external pressures" on insurance rates in B.C. are "accelerating."

"We certainly don't like to have to ask our customers to pay more but these external pressures are very real and they have created a perfect storm which we are struggling to hold off," Mark Blucher, president and CEO of ICBC said in a written release.

ICBC is filing an application with the British Columbia Utilities Commission, Aug. 25 to ask for the 4.9-per cent rate hike, effective Nov. 1. Last year ICBC raised rates by 5.5 per cent.

Blucher said the number of vehicle crashes across B.C. rose 15 per cent between 2013 and 2015.

Aside from all the fucking ICBC fuck ups, and all the money the government siphons out of ICBC, and then puts some of it back. I really want to know when the fuck ICBC is going to do something about getting some of the crappy drivers off our fucking roads.

Personally I'd like to see multiple things change:

1. Past a certain number of years or over a certain age, you should have to take another driving test. I'd say when you hit 65 you should have to take your test again.

There is very few doctors who police this issue, because they risk losing a patient if they tell them they shouldn't drive. Or that patient will go to like 18 doctors and find one that says they are safe to drive.

I think the only reason they havn't done the above is because the wait time on road tests. Three ways to combat that:

-Either wait till a driver gets into an accident and then force them to re-do their road test.
-Raise the cost of road tests. Road tests should cover the costs of that aspect of the business, I don't need my insurance subsidizing the cost of some dumbass who take 18 times to pass his road test. Said dumbass should have to bear that cost. Once road test fees cover the cost of the people, it should be easy to add admin type people until the wait time is reduced to a reasonable period.
-Open DMV's on saturdays, double the cost of road tests, and all other services offered on that day. Bet you a lot of people would pay 100 instead of 50 bucks to renew their license if it means they don't have to dick around for half a day and miss work.

2. Fraudsters/Law breakers should be denied coverage. Enough said. If you were drunk -> insurance void, your on your own. ICBC does this to a degree but they still meddle in affairs like this after it has been found parties have done illicit things.

3. Road tests for drivers moving here from other countries. Maybe set up a program with countries like the US, UK, australia, etc. But I'm sorry if your moving here from places like China or India where it is plainly known that driving tests are a joke, then you should be forced to take a god damn road test.

4. Personal injury claims for parking lot fender benders. Deny every single one of these claims. I would make it ICBC policy to not settle any of these case. If someone is dumb enough to take a 5km/h bump in a parking lot all the way to court, ICBC should let them without even offering a settlement, and then counter sue the living shit out of them for all their costs when that person obviously loses.

Unless you're driving around with a broken back, or you're made of porcelain, a 5km/h bump should not cause you physical harm. Every person here feels more force on them as they go over big bumps in the road.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
There is very few doctors who police this issue, because they risk losing a patient if they tell them they shouldn't drive. Or that patient will go to like 18 doctors and find one that says they are safe to drive.
The ideal solution would be to have ICBC-employed doctors perform more standardized health checks, but then you run into the problem of finding doctors since the system for becoming a doctor here is a bit fucked.

Quote:
-Raise the cost of road tests. Road tests should cover the costs of that aspect of the business, I don't need my insurance subsidizing the cost of some dumbass who take 18 times to pass his road test. Said dumbass should have to bear that cost.
I'm fine with the first test someone takes being subsidized, and even the second one if they pass. But for each test beyond that (or if you fail the second test) the cost should be higher. The main reason I say increase after the second failure is because I know multiple people (myself included) who have failed the first time for bullshit reasons.

Quote:
2. Fraudsters/Law breakers should be denied coverage. Enough said. If you were drunk -> insurance void, your on your own. ICBC does this to a degree but they still meddle in affairs like this after it has been found parties have done illicit things.
Agreed. Someone I knew years back totalled his parents vehicle that wasn't insured for him to be driving, yet ICBC still paid them out. Which basically means the extra money that my parents paid for me to be fully covered driving their vehicle was a waste of money.

Quote:
But I'm sorry if your moving here from places like China or India where it is plainly known that driving tests are a joke, then you should be forced to take a god damn road test.
In a previous Chinese license thread I believe it was determined that ICBC can't even contact the Chinese authorities to determine if the license they're being shown is valid or not. If someone from another country has a valid license there, then surely it shouldn't be a problem for them to pass the very basic test we have here.

Quote:
4. Personal injury claims for parking lot fender benders. Deny every single one of these claims. I would make it ICBC policy to not settle any of these case. If someone is dumb enough to take a 5km/h bump in a parking lot all the way to court, ICBC should let them without even offering a settlement, and then counter sue the living shit out of them for all their costs when that person obviously loses.

Unless you're driving around with a broken back, or you're made of porcelain, a 5km/h bump should not cause you physical harm. Every person here feels more force on them as they go over big bumps in the road.
Beyond even that, realistically their license should be taken away. If they can be so severely injured at 5km/h then clearly it's far too dangerous for them to be out on the roads traveling at 50+km/h.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:

In a previous Chinese license thread I believe it was determined that ICBC can't even contact the Chinese authorities to determine if the license they're being shown is valid or not. If someone from another country has a valid license there, then surely it shouldn't be a problem for them to pass the very basic test we have here.
You can only drive for 6 months with a foreign D/L until you have to convert to a BC license, which requires a road test for China and India. If you do not intend to become a resident of BC (stay <6 months), you can use a foreign license to drive a car insured with ICBC.

ICBC does not allow you to keep/obtain a BC license if you have a license from any other jurisdiction.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

That's good to hear, thing must have changed since the previous thread a few years back.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 08-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,194 Times in 5,577 Posts
recently renewed my insurance for my truck and changed my policy as my truck is pretty beat up and is essentially a work/dump runner now as i look for a new vehicle.

I park in a gated parkade so i said fuck it, dont care if i have comprehensive, i never leave anything of value in it, if somone breaks my window i can go to a wrecker fix it myself etc.

Vehicle is a 2001 F150

last year i had full comprehensive, 3 million liability, with 10+ year safe driving, roadstar+ at 44% discount

paid $132 per month

This year, i dropped everything but 3 million liability,

pay $118 a month..

Fuck ICBC
Old 08-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
yay more money for our one and only insurance company
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:

holy shit this
as someone who's been victimized by a fucking bitch cunt who pulled this stunt, 10000% on point.

I get tossed harder when i fuck up shifting gears

ICBC needs this "Are you shitting me?" defense everytime a moron takes those bumps to court.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,213 Posts
How about you give good drivers more discounts and jack the prices up more for the shitty drivers? If they can't afford the premiums oh well, one less shitty driver on the road.

16 years without one at fault accident yet I pay like 2200 a year to insure my truck still.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
waiting for all the "if icbc wasnt here it would be way worse" people
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
TBH I don't think overall ICBC does a bad job.

I said a long time ago, my only experience is with ICBC. Whenever I have worked elsewhere where I required a vehicle I did short term leases, and those come with insurance from the leasing company. But having heard stories from other places with private insurance, I don't know which is the lesser of two evils.

The issue here is that you cannot keep jacking the rates 5% a year because you refuse to actually deal with the problem. ICBC still has the opportunity to fix this, Freeze the rate, and correct the actual problem, don't keep patching the problem by driving up the rates. This is going to be the third year in a row ICBC is going to be asking for a rate increase above the allowable. I think this has to be the year that someone says "Hey hold on, this is starting to look really fucked up, what the hell is going on".

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
It could be better, it could be worse. I know things can be a lot shittier in some of the private only provinces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
How about you give good drivers more discounts and jack the prices up more for the shitty drivers? If they can't afford the premiums oh well, one less shitty driver on the road.

16 years without one at fault accident yet I pay like 2200 a year to insure my truck still.
The chart seems pretty good? Right now if you had a claim you'd still be at 43%. Hell you could have two and still be at 43%.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #12
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i want to bitch about this (i'm up for renewal... yay me) but see all the 643 pages and counting worth of crap driving we have been following on this thread leaves me without word http://www.revscene.net/forums/65475...hread-643.html
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Going to 43% discount in a few weeks. Cant wait to see my premiums increase even though getting an additional 3% discount
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Max discount with more than 10 years no accidents and still $1995 a year to insure (just paid for the year last week).

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

The chart seems pretty good? Right now if you had a claim you'd still be at 43%. Hell you could have two and still be at 43%.
If I had the choice to work my way up to a 75% discount, and lose it all with one 100% at fault accident I'd take it.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

why am i NOT surprise at all, in fact this is not even news anymore.

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,550 Times in 4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post

I'm maxed out at -21 CRS and will be driving for another 30+ years, with no additional discounts. Where's the incentive?

Insurance should factor in things like tickets and how many vehicles one has insured. Certainly, there should be a sizeable discount for pleasure vehicles, when you already have a primary vehicle used to commute.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #18
I STILL don't get it

in on ICBC bitching thread.

Moved from AB, transferred my history at got 15% discount. I'm 30 in september with one ticket of 7 km/hr over (2.9 years ago)... ya I know lol and 1 at fault accident fender bender (2.5 years ago) at $3k claim. Mind blown at these rates.

bike insurance went from $390/yr full coverage on an 09 r6 to $1200/yr for basic
car insurance went from $79/month full coverage 07 bmw to $204/month for basic on an 2000 ls teg

like lol and then I find out they charge me interest on my payments of 4.5% because I don't pay for the full year up front. If I pull over $2k out of my TSFA then I lose 5% on that $2k for the year. Strong fuck over by ICBC.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Realistically is there anything we as consumers can do? Or do we just have to bend over and take it up the ass?
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #20
RS Licensed Vendor

I have to say I agree with meme's opinions fully. I share similar thoughts on the same issues.

Seniors really need to have mandatory eye/health checks. I'd trust a 16 year responsible new driver over some blind old person that can't react quickly.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post
Realistically is there anything we as consumers can do? Or do we just have to bend over and take it up the ass?
do what the supercar kids do... find an address and register in alberta.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
You guys need to buy scooters.. $300 for the year in insurance and $5 a tank of gas.. Cheaper than a monthly bus pass. :P

All joking aside.. I've basically had to sell my 600cc motorcycle cause I couldn't justify the cost of have a vehicle and 2 motorcycles insured ($1800 + $600 (600cc for 3-4 monthes & $300 for 125cc/yr). So I kept the one that costs the least amount and still have a tone of fun. It just sucks cause I would love to have more vehicles but the cost to insure is just a joke.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
^ i need the protection of a car.

getting hit by a car when on a scooter = not good
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #24
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,550 Times in 4,312 Posts
Not ICBC related but just want to add that, paying tax on a privately sold car is fucking retarded.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #25
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Not ICBC related but just want to add that, paying tax on a privately sold car is fucking retarded.
This. I don't have to pay a tax when I buy a a phone, shoes, car parts etc.. from a private seller so why is a car any different when the original owner paid a tax for it already.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: