REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Thoughts On Winter Tires? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710286-thoughts-winter-tires.html)

Classic_Cool 09-09-2016 11:42 AM

Thoughts On Winter Tires?

I just moved to Burnaby a month ago and brought my 2006 4.0 Mustang with me. Has the old style "one wheel" differential paired with modern stability control.

Anyway I drive to White Rock and back every day for work and I was musing that maybe I do need winter tires after all. Currently rocking some old summer performance tires and they grip fine, but I don't know what winter here looks like.

I was out of work for a while so I can think of better things to drop a grand on. But if I need tires I need tires. When does driving typically get bad around here? Thanks.

Acura604 09-09-2016 11:46 AM

GET winter TIRES .. you will need it.. .average winter temps are -3 to -10... summer tires are for Richmond people.

Berzerker 09-09-2016 11:48 AM

Go on Craigslist and get a decent set for cheap. If your driving that far everyday, why take chances? If you had all seasons I could say maybe but if your rocking shitty summer tires do yourself and the other drivers on the road a favor and get a set of winters.

Berz out.

BrokenEuro 09-09-2016 11:49 AM

My advice is craigslist hunt for your tire size or similar compatible sizes. Usually you can score a deal on used tires with plenty of life remaining.

meme405 09-09-2016 12:17 PM

Without fail every year this becomes a topic.

@OP - Get a set of winter tires.

See this topic: http://www.revscene.net/forums/69904...ps-thread.html

Nlkko 09-09-2016 12:44 PM

Avg winter temp is -10 in Van? Where?

GabAlmighty 09-09-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8786856)
GET winter TIRES .. you will need it.. .average winter temps are -3 to -10... summer tires are for Richmond people.

Lol, watchu smokin cuz i'm interested in some

Indy 09-09-2016 01:54 PM

I used to own a 4.0 Mustang too. Drove daily from surrey to Vancouver (Fairview area). its a night and day experience when it does snow. There was one time where I switched back to summers too early in march and we got hit with random snow...theres a small incline on 12th just before fraser...I could barely make it up that incline on my summers. The car would kick out to one side everytime I got going.

This year they are predicting a cold winter due to La Nina...investing in winters is a good idea.

european 09-09-2016 02:25 PM

yes buy winter tires

Lomac 09-09-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8786872)

Maybe not quite that low but at night with wind-chill, roads get damn cold as does the rubber on your tires.

Gerbs 09-09-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8786872)

Was thinking the same. I was going to say average is like 0 - 3

Urrtoast 09-09-2016 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a graph of Vancouver temps as you can see we do not drop below 0 very often. Hope this helps
Here is a link for Tire comparisons.

You need all weather tires atleast.
https://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-...-winter-tires/

Ford_Fanatic 09-09-2016 05:57 PM

I definitely wouldn't recommend driving with summers between November and February.

If you don't plan on driving outside the lower mainland during winter, I'd just get a good set of UHP all seasons; Continental DWS 06, Michelin AS3+, Nitto Motivo, etc.

I've had a set of Motivos on my M5 for the past 3 years and they're an awesome everyday tire. Even the 4-6 inches of snow we occasionally get aren't a problem. Price is reasonable as well.

asma123 09-09-2016 06:31 PM

Deff don't drive with summers. I've done it before and it just sucks. Can't get any grip.
Personally I'd spend a little bit more and get a DD instead of using that car. Preferably awd or fwd.
I guess depends on age of vehicle and all but if you want to take care of it don't drive it in winter.

Classic_Cool 09-09-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford_Fanatic (Post 8786940)
I definitely wouldn't recommend driving with summers between November and February.

If you don't plan on driving outside the lower mainland during winter, I'd just get a good set of UHP all seasons; Continental DWS 06, Michelin AS3+, Nitto Motivo, etc.

I've had a set of Motivos on my M5 for the past 3 years and they're an awesome everyday tire. Even the 4-6 inches of snow we occasionally get aren't a problem. Price is reasonable as well.

In winter I probably won't go further than Whistler, and even then no more than once or twice.

In Calgary this was easy. There was no such thing as slush most of the time, so you just got the highest ice rating possible.

Maybe the all-seasons you suggest would be good.

Inaii 09-09-2016 06:57 PM

^if you're going up to Whistler at all, get proper tires. The amount of accidents caused by idiots who think they can do the S2S on regular tires soars in the winter.

Lomac 09-09-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic_Cool (Post 8786953)
In winter I probably won't go further than Whistler, and even then no more than once or twice.

In Calgary this was easy. There was no such thing as slush most of the time, so you just got the highest ice rating possible.

Maybe the all-seasons you suggest would be good.

Mountain snowflake rated tires are required for the S2S past October 1st. There are occasional police checks during normal times, but if snow is falling you can almost guarantee there will be police looking for cars without proper tires. It becomes a shit show when drivers without proper tires try to tackle that road during a snowfall.

Keep in mind that if you're just driving downtown, you can pretty much get away with just all-seasons. However, as soon as you hit the Upper Level Highway or go East of the Port Mann Bridge, you'll be encountering not just snow but higher chances of black ice. Due to the fluctuating temperatures of the GVRD during winter, black ice is far more common than you'd think.

You'll learn quite quickly that this area is far different than what you experienced in Calgary.

Classic_Cool 09-09-2016 08:39 PM

Fair enough. I'll bite the bullet and get some new Blizzaks. For the amount of driving I do it'll be worth it. Thanks.

meme405 09-09-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic_Cool (Post 8787000)
Fair enough. I'll bite the bullet and get some new Blizzaks. For the amount of driving I do it'll be worth it. Thanks.

Wise choice, sounds like you got a bit of a commute, proper tires will get you there and back safely and without any worries.

Also they are not a sunk cost, you will save money on the wear of your summer or other all season tires. So in the end it's not much of a loss.

AzNightmare 09-11-2016 02:28 AM

If you're on summer tires, always buy a set of winter tires.

While the winter is quite mild relatively and it doesn't snow a whole lot, summer tires can potentially crack when they're being used during cold climates.
For that reason alone, I would simply get winter tires.

Also, summer tires start to get hard like a hockey puck under 7'c (or somewhere around there), so any grip you have now in our current weather, don't count on it once it gets colder.

FerrariEnzo 09-11-2016 04:52 AM

Burnaby is nothing but hills... Winter Tires a must in this region...

Gucci Mane 09-11-2016 11:03 AM

Winter tires, da fuq are those?

BFG KO2 ftw!

Reeyal 09-12-2016 11:04 AM

Winter tires are great. There is snow on the ground 6 months out of the year where I live, so winter tires add a safety benefit. The drawback is at higher speeds, winter tires are nosier because of the tire compound.

BTW, winter tires give you better performance in terms of traction start at 7C and below when compared to summer tires. See here, starts at 3:20:

GabAlmighty 09-12-2016 02:59 PM

I live in Yellowknife but i'm just gonna rock the factory all seasons on my truck. And I actually live where it gets cold, and it snows, and it gets cold some more.

Bjoml 09-12-2016 05:03 PM

Hi,

Just moved to Canada, Coquitlam. Live up the hill on Como Lake Ave. Any tips on a good tire dealers in the area ?.

Recently bought a Santa Fe 2008 Limited running on old poor Michelin Primacy mxv4 tires. Would you guys recommend buying winter tires now already?. And which ones would you recommend ?. And when would you recommend to put them on ?

Hope I stick to the topic.

Thanks!