REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   What should I do about... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710446-what-should-i-do-about.html)

hud 91gt 09-24-2016 03:29 PM

What should I do about...

...the Sea Doo in my parking stall.

I moved to the island for the summer. My Datsun was off the road at a friends while I was working on it. I had a spare parking spot that wasn't in use while I was gone.

My neighbour, a friend of mine asked if a guy he met could store a Sea Do in the spot for a month. My neighbour told the guy the price, and he nicely overpaid for the month. 3 months later the Sea Do is still there. The guy can't be reached. A couple weeks back we were finally able to reach the guys girlfriend. Apparently it was going to be gone in a couple days, there will be much more cash waiting. He's out of the country.

Fast forward to last weekend. I finally get the Datsun back on the road and now I need my spot. I'll be bring my Acura back over and the orange car is going to need it's home on Wednesday.

What do I do?

1) Least hassle is move it onto the street, wait for it to get towed to impound.
2) Drive the sea do to my Grandma's on an undisclosed lake, try what Nicolas Cage taught me in Gone in 60 Seconds and enjoy next summer thoroughly.
3) Wait it out
4)???

Number 1 is highest on my list right now, just curious if the imagination of Revscene can come up with anything better. My neighbour barely knows this guy. Unfortunately he may lose his garage door clicker for anything other then option 3.

MG1 09-24-2016 03:40 PM

I'd do number two, but after you tell the girlfriend your plan.

It's your spot and they told you they were going to move it.

fliptuner 09-24-2016 03:45 PM

Park it in your neighbor's spot. It's his buddy. Lol

Honestly, I don't know if you have some sort of legal obligation to formally notify the owner and wait a certain amount of time before you can have it removed.

Berzerker 09-24-2016 03:48 PM

Find someone else that can store it and make the guy pay Ransom to get it back.

Berz out.

Hondaracer 09-24-2016 03:49 PM

doesnt your parkade/building have a towing company associated with it for visitor parking etc?

usually they deal with situations where somone is parked in registered spots, so if you were to call them and say this trailer is in your spot, i'm sure they'd be more than happy to tow it away for you

320icar 09-24-2016 03:55 PM

Roll it out to visitor parking. When strata asks just say it wasn't mine, no idea

Gucci Mane 09-24-2016 04:08 PM

i've got a pickup, shall i come by? im all in for a free sea doo!

Hondaracer 09-24-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane (Post 8790598)
i've got a pickup, shall i come by? im all in for a free sea doo!

lol came back to post this..

i'm in after Gucci!

hud 91gt 09-24-2016 04:34 PM

My neighbour really doesn't even know the guy. It was a bit sketchy from the get go. If I put it on the street, i'll certainly post a when and where in this thread. lol

As for Fliptuners comment on legal obligation. I'm claiming naivety on that one. I told my neighbour he was free to use my spot. I didn't provide access to the spot. One day, a Sea Doo was there. I've since let him know I will be moving the sea do (He's helping me) when the time comes. In fact I didn't even receive cash for the parking, I just told him to keep the money as I bum internet off him. #F^&KTelus

Ch28 09-24-2016 04:39 PM

I don't think I'd even offer up my spot in the first place

"My neighbour, a friend of mine asked if a guy he met could store a Sea Do in the spot for a month."

Wouldn't be surprised if the Sea Do was stolen and he stashed it at your place to avoid the owners from finding it at his place.

hud 91gt 09-24-2016 04:43 PM

That certainly went through my mind.

Renthal 09-24-2016 04:56 PM

get the vin off the trailer or the boat C numbers and you can check to see if it was posted stolen here:
Search Vehicles and Property

fliptuner 09-24-2016 05:01 PM

In that case, I have secure parking in van if you need to hold it hostage.

hud 91gt 09-24-2016 05:21 PM

Just went down to grab the VIN on the trailer, and license on the boat (it is clear). On my way up ran into my neighbour. He was able to get ahold of the owner but says it's been excuse after excuse. Out of country, bank accounts seized blah blah blah. Anyway, told him if it's not gone by wednesday it will be towed.

We'll see.

GLOW 09-24-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8790608)
In that case, I have secure parking in van if you need to hold it hostage.

:suspicious:
inb4 i find this in my driveway.

fliptuner 09-24-2016 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8790615)
:suspicious:
inb4 i find this in my driveway.

Pfft....your area's not secure :troll:

SumAznGuy 09-24-2016 06:09 PM

For cars, there is a form you can fill out with ICBC to claim ownership of a vehicle that has been left abandoned.
Maybe the same can be done with the seado.

Repossess or seize a vehicle

corollagtSr5 09-24-2016 07:18 PM

He paid for a month, get that shit out of there. Its two months overdue. I say roll it into your neighbours friends parking spot and tell him to deal with it. Getting ripped off over here. Then tell your neighbour to collect two more months of parking.

snowball 09-24-2016 09:08 PM

Seadoos are damn fun, option #2 if you've got the key... or a screwdriver

meme405 09-24-2016 09:38 PM

I'd say the seadoo is payment for the 2 months rent he is outstanding.

I would happily covert that seadoo to cash for you if you like?

mr_chin 09-25-2016 01:08 AM

it's nice to know that there are still some very very generous people in this world. and then they wonder why they get scammed.

#1 is your best option. you and your neighbor got you into this, you two should deal with it and move it onto the street.

have some respect for your grandma and please don't get her involved.

also have some self respect and not drag this out any longer.

inv4zn 09-25-2016 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_chin (Post 8790676)
it's nice to know that there are still some very very generous people in this world. and then they wonder why they get scammed.

#1 is your best option. you and your neighbor got you into this, you two should deal with it and move it onto the street.

have some respect for your grandma and please don't get her involved.

also have some self respect and not drag this out any longer.

Strange circumstances aside, what the fuck does trying not to be a cunt have to do with self respect.

underscore 09-25-2016 01:58 AM

If the guy is refusing to pick up his crap then in my mind he's abandoned it on your property, which shouldn't be any different from it being abandoned on the street. Just get it towed and if the guy says anything just tell him you didn't know it got towed and assumed he picked it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8790586)
Honestly, I don't know if you have some sort of legal obligation to formally notify the owner and wait a certain amount of time before you can have it removed.

If you were scrapping it maybe, but if you're just gonna let it get towed and stuck in an impound yard I doubt it. Especially since I'm assuming the guy doesn't have any formal contract or agreement in place.

parm104 09-25-2016 02:00 AM

Most of these suggestions aren't legal. If you're looking to do it legit, I would start by looking at your property agreement to see if that parking space was supposed to be your exclusive use. Then resort to calling your property manager and have them look into it removing it off your property. You did enter into an agreement with a stranger to allow them to use your property so similar to a tenant leaving a car on the property, you would be responsible tow costs and storage costs until you fight him in small claims for compensation.

A tow company usually won't come in and tow something unlicensed/unknown registrant (especially a sea doo) because the chances of them collecting tow fees and storage fees from the owner is slim to none. They'll then have a piece of junk sitting on their lot for free.

You could look into having a police come by and see if they can cite the Seadoo owner for trespassing.

You did give him permission to use your property which kind of fucks you over. I believe it might put you on the hook for being responsible for the way you handle his leftover/perhaps abandoned property. You might require a court order. Talk to a lawyer maybe. Remember it might have been illegal for you to rent your parking spot in the first place. It depends on the zoning laws of where you live. If the condo or apartment has provided you with the spot for free, they could be liable for fines for you renting it out to someone else. You could end up looking at being sued for that. These are just points that are coming at the top of my head and they're all over the place but do a little legal research into these points. You may have barked up the wrong tree here. Best of luck.

GLOW 09-25-2016 07:11 AM

sounds like meme just picked himself up a seado
RS seado meet? :troll: