REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #51
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
anyone know where to get an inexpensive mattress for a spare bedroom?

dont want to spend over $400 for queen, only need the matress.. and dont really want to resort to that ikea garbage.
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #52
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

sealy queen from costco was $499 plus tax. i bought my sealy king from san marino in richmond furniture at $1500 but included delivery. i bought their generic one at $500 which was a mistake because it's not good quality but it's only for guests...
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #53
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

dont want to spend over $400 for queen, only need the matress.. and dont really want to resort to that ikea garbage.
If you don't care
Mattresses

I mean price is as low as $200 up to $400
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #54
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Maybe see if any stores would be willing to sell demo models?

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #55

for the price that costco sealy is a pretty damn good deal.. just went and looked at it now
Old 07-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #56
Ask me about killing a hobo and dumping his body in the river

anyone tried endy sleep?
[18-02, 21:40] ICE BOY please come over and wrap me in your foreskin.
[18-10, 14:35] ZN6 Evo if you here: Say what your heart feels, cause those who matter don't mind, and those who mind shouldn't matter
[26-07, 14:46] ZN6 I gonna nibble on your scrotum

93 honda civic si (RIP)
2010 Evolution X (RIP)
2000 GMC Yukon XL SLT (RIP)
2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Overland build

2019 Kawasaki Ex 400(Summer Daily)
EvoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #57
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,608 Times in 5,172 Posts
I love Ikea foam matresses... been sleeping on them for like 15 years and no issues whatsoever! Usually get about 6-7 years from one until the foam loses its consistency/firmness.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #58
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,815 Times in 3,176 Posts
I use the Ikea 150 dollar mattress for camping last long weekend and it's fantastic. Very supportive.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #59
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
We're on the hunt for a new queen sized mattress and we came upon the Zinus branded ones on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zinus-Memory-G...dp/B0766BV9FM/

I was a bit apprehensive about buying such a cheap mattress, but according to Sleep Like The Dead, they get pretty good reviews and ratings across the board: Unbiased Zinus Mattress Reviews and Ratings 2018 : Spa Sensations, Night Therapy, Best Price, Slumber 1 : Memory Foam : Spring Bed

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

We were also looking at the bed frame that comes packaged with it (on the Amazon link) and people mention the use of a "bunkie board"

Does anyone that currently sleep on a memory foam mattress use a bunkie board? We're looking into this, because the Ikea slats that we currently have are a little over 2" apart from each other, and other websites state that memory foam mattresses shouldn't have slats that are more than 2" apart because it allows the mattress to sag in between the slats.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #60
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Why not just add some more slats. Very easy to do.

Berz out.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #61
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
anyone tried endy or casper yet???
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #62
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
anyone tried endy or casper yet???
I have an Endy, queen size. Took me a couple weeks for my body to get used to it. I love it now. Would buy again.
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #63
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Bestbuy sells mattresses online. High end but older models. A fraction of the original price. Only catch is you usually can't find them in stores to try out since they're older. About all you can do is find details for the model online
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #64

with the endy and casper mattresses.. gotta hella question their quality..

personally i dont want an air mattress as my full-time mattress.. think a lot of the people buying them have just never had a good standard mattress so its better than whatever they are using now for a fraction of the price of a good regular matress.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #65
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Purchase? F dat...just drive around the Whalley area ...one is bound to turn up along the curb.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #66
My homepage has been set to RS

Bump!

My 5-year old Kingsdown mattress is starting get uncomfortable. Rotating it doesn't seem to be helping. Everytime I go on a work business trip, my body seems to be much more rested... thus I think it is time to look into a new mattress.

Any new suggestions? Anyone have a Saatva mattress?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #67
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,180 Posts
So, I had a bit of a bed shuffle - my brother moved out of town but did not bring his frame, just his mattress. I didn't have a frame, but wrong size matttres... long story short, I ended up shopping for a new queen size bed.

After going to the Bay, Sleep Country, Casper Store (W4th and Vine, newly opened) and Seahorse (yeah, no thanks), I ended up ordering a Silk and Snow Hybrid (coil with memory foam top) as it was similar to the Casper Wave Hybrid but 1/4th of the price ($850 for S&S vs $3150 for Casper Wave Hybrid). That arrived, and set up quite nicely on the frame. Firm, with a bit of plush on the top. Seems quite supportive, but edge support was lacking - sagged badly when I sat on the side of the bed to get ready or put on my socks. Was quite happy with the price I paid ($850 + GST only) overall.

A friend throws in a wrench - he knows this lady who takes mattresses from showhomes/sales suites/staging companies once they're done with them and sells them really cheap. They're basically new, and tend to be bed in boxes (Casper, Endy, Douglas, etc). I went and took a look, and will be returning my Silk and Snow once the minimum 30 days has passed as I feel like her mattresses are a much better deal. Willing to take the risk of no warranty.

I ended up with a Logan and Cove Queen (I think it's the medium firm?) for $375, no taxes. One tiny stain, but I don't care since I am using a mattress protector and sheets. Similar to the Silk and Snow but better edge support, and feels more plush on top due to the pillow top. My friend has a Douglas, he got it for $250 for a King size, and it was quite firm with no bounce as it has no coils and just foam. I would be happy with either, but I prefer the hybrid coil for more "umph" during certain moods. Just had my first night on the Logan and Cove, it slept cool and I felt well rested and supported. Just need to get used to it as it is very thick (14 inches) and my first step down took some adjusting.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #68

As per my previous doubts regarding the mattresses in a box my wife and I recently stayed with some friends who have either an endy or Casper in their spare bedroom, slept on it for 3 nights. Pretty damn comfy!

Not sure if I’d buy one still for my personal mattress as I’m not sure of the longevity of them but definitely no complaints in the short stint
Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #69
Performance Moderator

Any mattress that survives 3 nights of Hondaracer hitting VTEC is a good mattress
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #70
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,767 Times in 909 Posts
So subjective! Growing up i'm used to sleeping on Sea Horse branded mattresses and no not the ultra like a rock one but still fairly firm when you compare to traditional western mattresses.

When I moved a year ago it was time to buy a new one and figure why not give a box one a try. Knowing that I came from a firmer mattress I decided to go with Casper because a lot of the complaints I read about them were that it was too firm. Tried it for the 100 nights, was it comfy? Well yes it was but this is not what is firm. I have no idea what some people are used to sleeping on, again subjective but this was no where close to what I'd even call remotely firm. I literally would be sunk in it and would take extra effort to get off the bed because I was sunk.

With said my vote is the Diamond mattress from Sea Horse. It's their most expensive one and is in or around $1000 for a Queen. One side is as firm as concrete and the other side is medium firm.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #71
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
So subjective! Growing up i'm used to sleeping on Sea Horse branded mattresses and no not the ultra like a rock one but still fairly firm when you compare to traditional western mattresses.

When I moved a year ago it was time to buy a new one and figure why not give a box one a try. Knowing that I came from a firmer mattress I decided to go with Casper because a lot of the complaints I read about them were that it was too firm. Tried it for the 100 nights, was it comfy? Well yes it was but this is not what is firm. I have no idea what some people are used to sleeping on, again subjective but this was no where close to what I'd even call remotely firm. I literally would be sunk in it and would take extra effort to get off the bed because I was sunk.

With said my vote is the Diamond mattress from Sea Horse. It's their most expensive one and is in or around $1000 for a Queen. One side is as firm as concrete and the other side is medium firm.
After having slept on a Seahorse for 10+ years, I can't sleep on anything else as comfortably as my firm Seahorse. My fiancee doesn't like firm mattresses, so we're sleeping on a memory foam mattress right now. It's ok, but definitely not as good as my old Seahorse. I always have such a good night's sleep whenever I go back home to my parents and sleep on my old trusty Seahorse
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #72
Performance Moderator

I want to get a Seahorse, My number issue anytime I go on holidays is that all hotels have super soft beds and my back is a wreck after a week on soft mattresses it suckkkkks

I use a hard foam Ikea one and it’s actually pretty decent but it’s no Seahorse
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #73
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
If you are concerned about Endy and such, Sealy has a mattress that is the competition for these. It's called the Cocoon and has 2 firmness levels. They are an all memory foam mattress and can be ordered online or from a showroom. If you go to the showroom you can try the firmness before you buy.

Berz out.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #74
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
Goat, for real. Ordered one 4 years ago and to this day it is still perfect. Zero sag, have never had a single night where I felt any discomfort.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #75
I STILL don't get it

Just bumping this, Casper just opened a retail location in Kits. You can go try one out in person now.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote