REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
The best country to travel to in 2017 Lonely Planet winner is?

You guessed it:

Advertisement
Old 10-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm getting fucking old but my heart swelled with pride!

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
NICE!

In any case, let's keep Canada, Canada.

I would love to somehow promote Canada to Canadians. A lot of Canadians don't really know their own country. I wish there were exchange programmes for young people. I've driven across both the US and Canada from coast to coast and it is amazing. Not just the sights but the people you meet along the way.

I remember posting the fact I wave at out-of-towners whenever I see them on the roads and people are like, wtf? Well, it happens quite a bit everywhere else........ maybe some of you need to travel to find this out for yourselves.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 01:15 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
lived in Canada most of my life
the maritimes, the north, caltown stampede are still on my list...but at the very back of the backburner because #wonderrast
most of us don't have the luxury of a month off to do coast-to-coast by car. Airfare isn't unreasonable but would be nice if it was comparable to US/asia interconti flights
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:16 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I would love to somehow promote Canada to Canadians. A lot of Canadians don't really know their own country.
Always wanted to visit the east coast, particularly Montreal. But when the price of a plane ticket costs the same as going to Europe and more than going to NYC/Boston/Chicago. It's hard to justify.

I've also thought about travel by train (Vancouver to Toronto), which is maybe the cheapest way to go East. But 3.5 days on a train seems quite terrible since I barely lasted a 12hr rail trip from Rome to Paris. Anyone tried VIA Rail?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
lived in Canada most of my life
the maritimes, the north, caltown stampede are still on my list...but at the very back of the backburner because #wonderrast
most of us don't have the luxury of a month off to do coast-to-coast by car. Airfare isn't unreasonable but would be nice if it was comparable to US/asia interconti flights
You can do it in two weeks. You need to go with two others to share in the driving. I spent 4-1/2 weeks because I was the only one with a drivers license. Plus, we hit everything between Seattle and New York, up to Nova Scotia, then back via the Trans Canada. If we had not gone through the US and shared the driving duties, it would have taken us a lot less time.

The Maritimes - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Not sure if I would enjoy Cowtown Stampede, it was not on my bucket list, but driving over the Confederation Bridge was awesome. Niagara Falls, Gaspé, Cabot Trail (a drivers dream), the various historic forts, the Parliament Buildings, were just some of the highlights. If you want to, although not in Canada, Mount Rushmore was memorable. Not because of the actual monument, but because it truly made me understand what the US of A was all about.

Anyway...............
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Trudeau needs to bring back the Katimavik youth program. He once chaired the it's board of directors and his father helped create the program. It gave me the opportunity to travel across Canada and the experiences gained still impact me 15 years later.

At the end of the program, I exchanged my plane ticket from Halifax to Vancouver (my last placement was in Lunenberg, NS), and bought a monthly Via Rail pass. I took about two weeks, making stops wherever I wished, and explored the country on my own.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Lots of great places to see in this country.

It's a shame that we put down our country so much. But I guess selfies in front of the Eiffel Tower generate more likes on Instagram than having a beaver tail on the Rideau Canal.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
God of Unce

Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Canada is great, but it's too spread out and expensive to travel.

I did a 5 day driving trip to Banff, and it cost me as almost as much as two weeks in SE Asia (flight included). It's a great country if you're outdoors inclined. But if you are a culture buff, we have nothing comparable to Europe/Asia and fall short of even the US (Yes I've been to Quebec city).

That being said, I would live to visit the Maritimes and the North someday - Nahanni National Park https://www.google.ca/search?q=nahan...DfBKUQ_AUIBygClooks amazing! - it's just so bloody inaccessible!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #11
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Makes me want to explore our country more, as others have said it's just cheaper or more enticing to go somewhere else for the same amount of money or less
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

My parents and I have been planning/thinking of driving to Toronto (and maybe the Maritimes as well, but my company doesn't give me enough holiday time). We also have relatives near Toronto, so that's a pretty good reason to do a cross-Canada road trip
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,747 Times in 699 Posts
Lol, no asians in the video. A bunch of caucasions and an african american (am I allowed to even say "black"?).

I don't think i've seen an african american in over a month, honest.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
ugh, this ad. It was lame when it came out 20 years ago, it's still lame as hell.

Our whole identity reduced to being "not American" and propensity to drink cheap piss beer?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Canadian airlines should start giving cheaper flights to residents or something to enable people to discover their own country a little more.

I guess as CB said though, geographically it's a tough haul even to go from Van to TO, 5 hour flights get you almost anywhere in Europe or Asia
Old 10-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Lol, no asians in the video. A bunch of caucasions and an african american (am I allowed to even say "black"?).

I don't think i've seen an african american in over a month, honest.
Are your sure they they are American?
Old 10-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #18
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
i think canada is a pretty good place to live but i wouldn't really put it high up there as a travel destination unless you're into something really specific like skiing, rock climbing, or something like that.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #19
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
People from elsewhere who don't have the ocean or mountains usually think Canada is the bee's knees in my experience when they visit

Moreso speaking to my experience in Vancouver but when they travel to banff etc usually love it
Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
caucasions
lol
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Wohoo

Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
In many ways, people in Vancouver especially could have quite a narrow-minded view of Canada. Vancouver has a lot to offer, but we are definitely not the center of the world. Neither is Toronto the center of the universe (even though some Torontonians really think that way), but at least there are tons of towns and cities nearby, all within easy driving distance. So Torontonians will at least have a bigger view of Canada that extends somewhere from Detroit / Windsor all the way up to Quebec (City) and everything inbetween. But for many of us in Vancouver? I don't even think the majority of Vancouverties venture out further than Whistler to the north, Victoria to the west (and only been there once because ferry is so bloody expensive), and south to Seattle.

Personally, I still haven't been to Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland, or any of the 3 territories, but I have at least spent some time in other parts of Canada, and I honestly can't believe how blessed we Canadians are, and how beautiful our country is. You honestly don't know what Canada Day is like unless you've seen it in Ottawa first hand. Quebec is as beautiful as many of the prettiest European cities as they could be. Bay of Fundy and the coastlines around the general NB / NS area is incredible, and you really don't know what tidal changes are like until you've been there. And then there is Confederation Bridge, the red dirt, and PEI potatoes. I especially suck in landscape photography, but I do think I am better now compared to back then when I went, and I would very much LOVE to go back and do some shooting.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

This shit again..!?

Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
One thing I've noticed about Canadians is that they LOVE these lists... Every day someone on facebook is posting "Canada/Vancouver is the #1 place to live/visit/travel/sleep in/whatever"
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #25
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
i hate these lists and all patriotic pats on the back.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: