REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Cars that shut their engines off.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710856-cars-shut-their-engines-off.html)

Hondaracer 11-04-2016 03:20 PM

Cars that shut their engines off..

this shit is annoying AF!!!!

the benzes and BMW's seem to be the worst perpetrators as it seems the time between idling and shutting their engines off is 3-5 seconds..

Today waiting to cross the street there was a brand new M5 at the light with a seemingly over-eager driver waiting for the light to turn, he kept tapping the gas in anticipation for a green, the car shut off and turned back on THREE TIMES!!

Besides the annoyance of the sound of this happening, you'd think overtime this system would be quite a strain on the electronics and starter no?

seemingly more parts to break/things to go wrong on already high cost maintenance vehicles.

I've yet to drive in one, what does it sound like from the inside? is it audible? because it sure is outside of the car

fsy82 11-04-2016 03:24 PM

have it on one of our cars...its definitely not 5 secs..i would say closer to 1 sec..lol..this is on a 2016 e400

boostfever 11-04-2016 03:38 PM

That owner makes himself look like an idiot for tapping the gas and turn off and on the car three times at a redlight. He can simply turn off the feature. For the people never been in a car with this option, the button is an A with a starter circle around it, and usually placed right next to the start/stop engine button.

Hondaracer 11-04-2016 03:41 PM

What do they tell you about this feature when you buy a car with it? Is it actually suppose to save fuel?

vexor 11-04-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8800043)
What do they tell you about this feature when you buy a car with it? Is it actually suppose to save fuel?

yes, engine not running -> no fuel used.

And it's not just the luxury cars anymore, I work at a GM dealer and most new mainstream vehicles have it now too. (Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Verano, Encore)

yray 11-04-2016 03:57 PM

You learn to articulate the brake pedal to keep the engine on. Otherwise heel toe :troll:

hud 91gt 11-04-2016 04:01 PM

I find it pretty neat actually. There must be a reduction in starter life, but perhaps they are built stronger these days. Very cool how technology has changed with sequential fuel injection. The engine know's exactly where it is at all times and it it able to start on the first stroke. I find it fascinating.

ilovebacon 11-04-2016 04:18 PM

not too correct about this one but i think the new honda's have this too!

flagella 11-04-2016 04:22 PM

I can see it being somewhat useful at the border line up.

maxx 11-04-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8800038)

the benzes and BMW's seem to be the worst perpetrators as it seems the time between idling and shutting their engines off is 3-5 seconds..

Today waiting to cross the street there was a brand new M5 at the light with a seemingly over-eager driver waiting for the light to turn, he kept tapping the gas in anticipation for a green, the car shut off and turned back on THREE TIMES!!

Besides the annoyance of the sound of this happening, you'd think overtime this system would be quite a strain on the electronics and starter no?

seemingly more parts to break/things to go wrong on already high cost maintenance vehicles.

I've yet to drive in one, what does it sound like from the inside? is it audible? because it sure is outside of the car

Three times isn't possible unless the car rolls over a certain distance. Once you release the brake pedal, the car turns on and if you apply it again immediately, the engine will not shut off as the car knows that you are crawling small distances. That may be different if you're in the eco mode. Having said that, on an M5, its unlikely to be programmed that way.

The cars are fitted with a heavy duty starter and battery that are meant to withstand start/stop situations.

yes it's designed to save fuel, especially at long lights such as grandview and boundary. It's annoying in traffic so i just turn it off. The Jaguar system is the worst as the whole car shook when the thing restarted. The Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes ones are best as they are the least intrusive and the quietest.

For those of you who have the system and aren't greatly familiar with it, the best way to disengage it without pushing the auto on.off button is to put the transmission in sport mode (this is BMW only and Jag only from my experience). Its faster and when you hit traffic, just pop the tranny back into regular mode.

twitchyzero 11-04-2016 04:56 PM

i dont get it because I thought one is not supposed to put the car in neutral sitting still in traffic just in-case someone comes flying your way and you may be able to get out in time?

handy for line-ups like drive-thru etc...for everything else the gas savings/footprint reduction is probably negligible/meaningless

Euro7r 11-04-2016 07:39 PM

I don't like it. I like to hear a car running otherwise I feel something is broken or my car died lol.

Nlkko 11-04-2016 08:54 PM

Well I googled and apparently you can save 10% on gas in normal traffic:

Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds.com

TOPEC 11-04-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8800062)
i dont get it because I thought one is not supposed to put the car in neutral sitting still in traffic just in-case someone comes flying your way and you may be able to get out in time?

the cars still in gear when it shuts off by the automatic start/stop, the engine restarts back up within 0.5 sec or so right when it senses the brakes loose pressure from u lifting off

ime2006 11-04-2016 11:06 PM

My car has it, but i hate it.......

First thing to turn off after get in the car....

toyota86 11-04-2016 11:43 PM

On most euro cars, they can be coded out entirely, default off, or have switch memory. What I find most annoying is that on some of those cars with auto start stop, it isn't smart enough to know you want max A/C for defog or for those hot summers.

supafamous 11-04-2016 11:51 PM

I experienced it in a 2016 Chevy Malibu rental I had and was pretty impressed with how well it worked. I could feel it restarts but it was very unintrusive and it never got in the way of my driving.

As cars move to 48V systems and become more and more hybridized this is going to be really smooth tech.

Akinari 11-05-2016 12:03 AM

I for one don't mind it. Cars in Japan have had it for ages before North America saw widespread use, in nearly every single one of their cars.

The only thing that bugs me about auto start/stop is how when the engine shuts off, if you have A/C on that shuts off as well. It's pretty frustrating in the winter if you have the front defroster on and A/C shuts off, all of a sudden you get a ton of fog up front. Also in the summer as well when you're trying to keep cool and all of a sudden the A/C shuts off and blows hot air.

6thGear. 11-05-2016 07:05 AM

This feature was in my 2016 Audi Q5 loaner car. I thought the car broke down while at a red light when I encountered it the first time. I liked it at first but ended up hating it. Can also turn it on/off in the Q5

Soundy 11-05-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8800038)

U mad bro?

SpartanAir 11-05-2016 12:37 PM

Interesting, this test does show it saves 10%, on a first-gen system on Renault Megane. I'm sure the systems have only gotten better over the past 3-4 years since introduced.

Obviously better for emissions too.

Gululu888 11-05-2016 04:32 PM

If you think bmw is worst offender of this, You haven't met my Ford yet. that shit stop starts at every red light/stop sign/traffic jam. i love it!

Gululu888 11-05-2016 04:37 PM

Jeep has it. Chevy has it. Ford has it. Volvo has it. Land Rover has it. Audi has it. BMW has it. Benz has it. Kia has it. Its like LED headlight, every manufacturer has to have it by now.

asma123 11-05-2016 04:46 PM

I rented a bmw in Germany and it had it. Kinda cool feature that I don't mind. It's nice sitting in absolute quiet while you wait for the light to change green. Didn't have any complaints. Literally the engine is back on as soon as you release the brake so you get the power ready when you press on the gas

noclue 11-06-2016 02:32 AM

I wonder about the long term durability effect of start-stop on engines, especially turbocharged ones