REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
Cars that shut their engines off..

this shit is annoying AF!!!!

the benzes and BMW's seem to be the worst perpetrators as it seems the time between idling and shutting their engines off is 3-5 seconds..

Today waiting to cross the street there was a brand new M5 at the light with a seemingly over-eager driver waiting for the light to turn, he kept tapping the gas in anticipation for a green, the car shut off and turned back on THREE TIMES!!

Besides the annoyance of the sound of this happening, you'd think overtime this system would be quite a strain on the electronics and starter no?

seemingly more parts to break/things to go wrong on already high cost maintenance vehicles.

I've yet to drive in one, what does it sound like from the inside? is it audible? because it sure is outside of the car
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

have it on one of our cars...its definitely not 5 secs..i would say closer to 1 sec..lol..this is on a 2016 e400
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
That owner makes himself look like an idiot for tapping the gas and turn off and on the car three times at a redlight. He can simply turn off the feature. For the people never been in a car with this option, the button is an A with a starter circle around it, and usually placed right next to the start/stop engine button.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
What do they tell you about this feature when you buy a car with it? Is it actually suppose to save fuel?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
What do they tell you about this feature when you buy a car with it? Is it actually suppose to save fuel?
yes, engine not running -> no fuel used.

And it's not just the luxury cars anymore, I work at a GM dealer and most new mainstream vehicles have it now too. (Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Verano, Encore)
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,248 Posts
You learn to articulate the brake pedal to keep the engine on. Otherwise heel toe

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
I find it pretty neat actually. There must be a reduction in starter life, but perhaps they are built stronger these days. Very cool how technology has changed with sequential fuel injection. The engine know's exactly where it is at all times and it it able to start on the first stroke. I find it fascinating.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
not too correct about this one but i think the new honda's have this too!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #9

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I can see it being somewhat useful at the border line up.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
I am on the internets

Quote:

the benzes and BMW's seem to be the worst perpetrators as it seems the time between idling and shutting their engines off is 3-5 seconds..

Today waiting to cross the street there was a brand new M5 at the light with a seemingly over-eager driver waiting for the light to turn, he kept tapping the gas in anticipation for a green, the car shut off and turned back on THREE TIMES!!

Besides the annoyance of the sound of this happening, you'd think overtime this system would be quite a strain on the electronics and starter no?

seemingly more parts to break/things to go wrong on already high cost maintenance vehicles.

I've yet to drive in one, what does it sound like from the inside? is it audible? because it sure is outside of the car
Three times isn't possible unless the car rolls over a certain distance. Once you release the brake pedal, the car turns on and if you apply it again immediately, the engine will not shut off as the car knows that you are crawling small distances. That may be different if you're in the eco mode. Having said that, on an M5, its unlikely to be programmed that way.

The cars are fitted with a heavy duty starter and battery that are meant to withstand start/stop situations.

yes it's designed to save fuel, especially at long lights such as grandview and boundary. It's annoying in traffic so i just turn it off. The Jaguar system is the worst as the whole car shook when the thing restarted. The Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes ones are best as they are the least intrusive and the quietest.

For those of you who have the system and aren't greatly familiar with it, the best way to disengage it without pushing the auto on.off button is to put the transmission in sport mode (this is BMW only and Jag only from my experience). Its faster and when you hit traffic, just pop the tranny back into regular mode.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
i dont get it because I thought one is not supposed to put the car in neutral sitting still in traffic just in-case someone comes flying your way and you may be able to get out in time?

handy for line-ups like drive-thru etc...for everything else the gas savings/footprint reduction is probably negligible/meaningless
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #12

Thanked 1,320 Times in 578 Posts
I don't like it. I like to hear a car running otherwise I feel something is broken or my car died lol.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #13
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Well I googled and apparently you can save 10% on gas in normal traffic:

Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds.com
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #14
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i dont get it because I thought one is not supposed to put the car in neutral sitting still in traffic just in-case someone comes flying your way and you may be able to get out in time?
the cars still in gear when it shuts off by the automatic start/stop, the engine restarts back up within 0.5 sec or so right when it senses the brakes loose pressure from u lifting off
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

My car has it, but i hate it.......

First thing to turn off after get in the car....
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

On most euro cars, they can be coded out entirely, default off, or have switch memory. What I find most annoying is that on some of those cars with auto start stop, it isn't smart enough to know you want max A/C for defog or for those hot summers.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:51 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,151 Times in 952 Posts
I experienced it in a 2016 Chevy Malibu rental I had and was pretty impressed with how well it worked. I could feel it restarts but it was very unintrusive and it never got in the way of my driving.

As cars move to 48V systems and become more and more hybridized this is going to be really smooth tech.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #18

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
I for one don't mind it. Cars in Japan have had it for ages before North America saw widespread use, in nearly every single one of their cars.

The only thing that bugs me about auto start/stop is how when the engine shuts off, if you have A/C on that shuts off as well. It's pretty frustrating in the winter if you have the front defroster on and A/C shuts off, all of a sudden you get a ton of fog up front. Also in the summer as well when you're trying to keep cool and all of a sudden the A/C shuts off and blows hot air.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #19

This feature was in my 2016 Audi Q5 loaner car. I thought the car broke down while at a red light when I encountered it the first time. I liked it at first but ended up hating it. Can also turn it on/off in the Q5
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

U mad bro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Interesting, this test does show it saves 10%, on a first-gen system on Renault Megane. I'm sure the systems have only gotten better over the past 3-4 years since introduced.

Obviously better for emissions too.

1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #22
Banished to Fail Club

If you think bmw is worst offender of this, You haven't met my Ford yet. that shit stop starts at every red light/stop sign/traffic jam. i love it!
Gululu888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #23
Banished to Fail Club

Jeep has it. Chevy has it. Ford has it. Volvo has it. Land Rover has it. Audi has it. BMW has it. Benz has it. Kia has it. Its like LED headlight, every manufacturer has to have it by now.

Last edited by Gululu888; 11-05-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Gululu888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #24
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I rented a bmw in Germany and it had it. Kinda cool feature that I don't mind. It's nice sitting in absolute quiet while you wait for the light to change green. Didn't have any complaints. Literally the engine is back on as soon as you release the brake so you get the power ready when you press on the gas
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:32 AM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I wonder about the long term durability effect of start-stop on engines, especially turbocharged ones
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: