REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

How is this even a thought that you are possibly NOT at fault??
Advertisement
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
ICBC is cracking down on stupid injury claims, and they'll take a look at your video as well as damage on both cars to see if her injury claims are bogus, if she does claim so at all.

There's no "buying out" a claim - you can pay back whatever ICBC paid to her so that your premiums don't go up.

Your options are to dispute the claim for re-review, or to go to court. Neither of which will be favourable to you. Wait for correspondence from ICBC, and do some maths to see which is more financially viable for you.

And why the hell did you decline collision?
That's good to know. I think my best course of action now is to request a Claim Review. If that does not go in my favour, then I will be better off paying for her property damages than tanking the insurance premium.

Collision coverage would've increased my annual insurance by $2,000. I figured I'm better off saving $2k a year and fixing my own damages if an accident occurs. A little ironic now that I look at it...
dSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #28
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSpaceman View Post
Well, no. That would be a prick move. The problem is that I don't have collision coverage, so I will have to fix my own car out of pocket and my insurance rate will still go up. What I'm hoping for is a 50/50 settlement so that my car would be covered as well, and possibly buying out my part of the claim. Seeing that the only damage the minivan suffered was the front bumper, this would be the most economical solution for me.
I didn't put words in you mouth as you stated here in your post that you are hoping for a 50/50 settlement so that you car would be covered so you wouldn't have to pay for this out of pocket. So you basically want the rest of us to pay for the damages to your car because you decided not to buy collision coverage
bomboi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Insurance always looks very expensive until that one time when you have to use it.

Good luck man, but honestly I don't think a review is gonna change anything. It's within your right to request it, but unless you either provide more evidence or claim that your adjuster was a racist or something they'll give you the same outcome.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #30

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Insurance always looks very expensive until that one time when you have to use it.

Good luck man, but honestly I don't think a review is gonna change anything. It's within your right to request it, but unless you either provide more evidence or claim that your adjuster was a racist or something they'll give you the same outcome.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomboi1 View Post
I didn't put words in you mouth as you stated here in your post that you are hoping for a 50/50 settlement so that you car would be covered so you wouldn't have to pay for this out of pocket. So you basically want the rest of us to pay for the damages to your car because you decided not to buy collision coverage
I don't want to argue with you on the technicality of my words. Bottom line is I don't believe I should be fully at fault here, and so I don't think I should be responsible for all the damages.

You can interpret it however you like, though. If you want to think of me as the bad guy, that's fine. You don't have to say hi to me when you see me on the streets.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #33

Just out of curiosity how much fault would you say you take for the accident?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #34

Quote:
I don't want to argue with you on the technicality of my words. Bottom line is I don't believe I should be fully at fault here, and so I don't think I should be responsible for all the damages.

You can interpret it however you like, though. If you want to think of me as the bad guy, that's fine. You don't have to say hi to me when you see me on the streets.
im not interpreting anything, bottom line is you can believe what you want to believe. The only problem is that you are 100% at fault. blinkers don't mean shit, I've seen so many people drive without signaling and unfortunately you decided to make a left with oncoming traffic without checking first and that's the bottom line cuz stone cold said so!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
Just out of curiosity how much fault would you say you take for the accident?
To be honest, I thought I was in the right initially. But that's most likely due to my bias approach on this entire incident.

What everyone has brought up so far is undeniable. I could have definitely handled this much better. But imagine being in my shoes. I'm not speeding, I'm not trying to rush a turn before oncoming traffic. All I wanted to do was make my turn so I can get to school. I see her blinker on and assumed she would turn. She changed her mind and I was hit.

I'd like to see her at least take some responsibility. A 50/50 settlement, or a 75/25 in her favour.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #36
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
I see her blinker on and assumed she would turn. She changed her mind and I was hit.
You summed it up right there. You made a judgement call and it it turned out to be the incorrect one.

I can see the blinker turn off for a split second before you initiated your turn. It's hard to spot with the glare, and I was looking for it.

I think you're SOL on this one.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #37

To be honest, I actually saw that car was blinking. But I'm not sure about how's the switch of Sienna. For me, I guess he/she was switching the headlight on but also turn the signal on by accident. Even it's true, I don't think you will get 50/50.
yip_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #38
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
If you actually look in your RoadSense for drivers book, there's a section that you actually have to wait for the vehicle to change directions and not solely rely on their turn signals. I honestly think you'll be wasting a lot of your time and possibly money if you decided to appeal the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,048 Times in 551 Posts
To go against the grain here...

Personally, if it is up to me, I will call this a 50/50.

I honestly think everyone is being a bit harsh, realistically after re-watching the video 10 or so times, it seems the Van did in fact slow down to almost a complete stop and had blinkers on.

I have been a witness for an accident where ICBC ruled a 50/50 for a collision with a left turn driver VS a car in on coming traffic having right turn blinker on, slowed down at the intersection only to floor it and go straight last minute.

Now i am not saying everyone saying the OP is 100% at fault is wrong, and I could see how ICBC came to this conclusion. But I think it's a bit harsh... because the Van clearly had the intention to turn only to change their mind last min...

just my 0.02

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #40
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Professional Drivers' Manual 1990 Edition

May be old but still holds true.
To be frank, you were neither when this incident happened

My rule of thumb is that you cannot rush. If you are late, you are late. Nothing can change it. It will always be better than becoming the subject of an incident.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip_yee View Post
To be honest, I actually saw that car was blinking. But I'm not sure about how's the switch of Sienna. For me, I guess he/she was switching the headlight on but also turn the signal on by accident. Even it's true, I don't think you will get 50/50.
When we were exchanging information, she did admit that she had changed her mind on turning. Unfortunately that was not what she told ICBC.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #42

Quote:
When we were exchanging information, she did admit that she had changed her mind on turning. Unfortunately that was not what she told ICBC.
changing her mind does not constitute her being at fault, she in fact is going in a straight line, if she was in the middle of her turn and then decides to go straight and ram into you that's her fault.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #43
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
You would've failed your drivers test for that left turn if the van wasn't there at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Sucks that it took an accident to learn this, but if you assume everyone on the road is an idiot you'll save yourself from a lot of problems. After 16 years of driving if I trusted someone's turn signal every time I'd have either been hit many times or dead by now.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #45

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
It's so hard to prove the other party at fault, even remotely. I had to watch the video a couple times to really focus in to see the blinker going from the other car. Person turning left is always screwed unless you are able to prove otherwise. Best of luck. I know this sucks, first thing in the morning
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #46
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
And so I believe a 50/50 is fair.
IF you have valid points for this being 50/50 then you have grounds to argue.
According to MVA acts and what everyone else says, you are clearly in the wrong.

I think this thread should be closed before it turns into a spitting war. OP ask for opinions and everyone here has stated it.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #47

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
To go against the grain here...

Personally, if it is up to me, I will call this a 50/50.

I honestly think everyone is being a bit harsh, realistically after re-watching the video 10 or so times, it seems the Van did in fact slow down to almost a complete stop and had blinkers on.

I have been a witness for an accident where ICBC ruled a 50/50 for a collision with a left turn driver VS a car in on coming traffic having right turn blinker on, slowed down at the intersection only to floor it and go straight last minute.

Now i am not saying everyone saying the OP is 100% at fault is wrong, and I could see how ICBC came to this conclusion. But I think it's a bit harsh... because the Van clearly had the intention to turn only to change their mind last min...

just my 0.02
A little more detail on this one? What type of lane was the right turner on? Right turn only? Unmarked?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #48
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

In my opinion you are at fault regardless what the other driver did. You should have stopped and scanned the intersection before proceeding. Everytime you turn its your responsibility to ensure its safe to go. Not only that but you also went prematurely. Again always assume that everyone is a retard and take caution.
On the other hand it's possible that this guy could have rammed your car when they saw the opportunity (wanting to total their car for $$?) but then again it comes back to my first point. You should have stopped and scanned before proceeding. You are at fault here.
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #49

Thanked 2,048 Times in 551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
A little more detail on this one? What type of lane was the right turner on? Right turn only? Unmarked?
The lane was unmarked, but it was a "parking lane" for sure, since there are cars parked on both sides of the intersection. Which means you wouldn't be in that lane if you were not planning on turning. If you went straight, you would have to change lanes back to the left right away as your lane will be blocked with parked cars.

It was this summer at the intersection of Kingsway and Knight in Vancouver.

I was waiting at a red light first row on Kingsway going west bound towards Downtown.

The left hand driver was making a left from knight street (south bound) going onto Kingsway east bound (towards Burnaby). He was already completely stopped at the intersection for quiet a while since the roads were busy. Light is about to turn red from amber and driver starts making the left turn. At this point the other driver going north bound on knight street had his signal to turn right onto Kingsway, he braked hard in "anticipation for a turn" then ran straight instead, with his right blinker still going.

Now ICBC did ask me if the driver that went straight ran a red, I honestly didn't pay enough attention so I told the adjuster I do not know, but it will be a late amber for sure.

The adjuster did mention that regardless of running a red or not, the left had driver should only proceed at a clear intersection, even if it means he is turning on a red.

There are still photos on my xperia, but I switched to Samsung... -.- and too lazy to grab them lol...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #50

Quote:
To be honest, I thought I was in the right initially. But that's most likely due to my bias approach on this entire incident.

What everyone has brought up so far is undeniable. I could have definitely handled this much better. But imagine being in my shoes. I'm not speeding, I'm not trying to rush a turn before oncoming traffic. All I wanted to do was make my turn so I can get to school. I see her blinker on and assumed she would turn. She changed her mind and I was hit.

I'd like to see her at least take some responsibility. A 50/50 settlement, or a 75/25 in her favour.
Honestly for myself whenever this happens, i NEVER make the turn until i 100% see that other party start to cross the center line fully commiting to the turn, just because their are scumfucks out there that are looking for a payday, and then the others don't have a clue what they are even doing in the first place. Trust nobody. Good luck with everything though honestly!