REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dSpaceman View Post
To be honest, I thought I was in the right initially. But that's most likely due to my bias approach on this entire incident.

What everyone has brought up so far is undeniable. I could have definitely handled this much better. But imagine being in my shoes. I'm not speeding, I'm not trying to rush a turn before oncoming traffic. All I wanted to do was make my turn so I can get to school. I see her blinker on and assumed she would turn. She changed her mind and I was hit.

I'd like to see her at least take some responsibility. A 50/50 settlement, or a 75/25 in her favour.
This was just bad driving on your part and a failure to understand your responsibilities as a driver. You didn't drive defensively to protect yourself and got yourself hit. A good driver never puts their car into a bad spot and if they take on risk they know their exit strategies.

If you think the other driver has any responsibility for the accident then you need to rethink how you drive.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #52
I don't get it

Sorry man but youre likely at fault here. You're suppose to make sure the intersection is clear before attempting the turn rather than assume it was safe to turn.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

The other driver is an idiot but the retard has the right of way. Looks like you have sometime/some distance to hit the brake and avoid the collision but you kept going without being cautious. In my opinion you are at fault.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #54
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Unfortunately, as much as the other driver mislead you into making a decision that turned out to be bad, the responsibility is on you to read the situation properly and apply "defensive driving" if you are not certain (which usually just means slowing down or coming to a complete stop when in doubt).

I understand how you feel as I've almost came in close encounters where idiots have forced me to suddenly swerve out of my lane to avoid an accident.
I generally have good awareness of what's around me in adjacent lanes so another car has never been beside me at the wrong time when I swerve out, but knock on wood, if I'm not so lucky one day, it would be 100% my fault regardless of the reason why I swerved out of my lane.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:33 AM   #55
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
What everyone has brought up so far is undeniable. I could have definitely handled this much better. But imagine being in my shoes. I'm not speeding, I'm not trying to rush a turn before oncoming traffic. All I wanted to do was make my turn so I can get to school. I see her blinker on and assumed she would turn. She changed her mind and I was hit.
TBH i watched the video and before I read any of the comments, the first thought in my head was "he rushed that turn".

You turn way before the intersection, as if you are coming in at an angle. Entire sequences screams of someone rushing, or at the very least not making a good defensive decision.

^Red line looks like what you are doing. Green line is the proper way of making a turn.

I can say I have done red, just like you are attempting to do in the video. If anything I just learned another reason to kill that habit.

The other reason to kill that habit is; what if there is a car behind the blue car which decides to go around him (completely legal), in that instance you would be fucked as well.

EDIT: Sorry about the diagram, contrary to what you guys would believe I didn't draw that on one of those signature pads, my laptop touchscreen is just real shitty.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:34 AM   #56
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

This is why I breach better be safe than sorry while driving.

I don't care how good a driver you think you are, or anyone else. You can control your actions and be defensive.

You did some reckless driving now you have to take it... BE A MAN.
I am 100% sure you will never turn like that ever again.
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:35 AM   #57
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

The other vehicle was already moving straight past the intersection when you initiated your turn. She had the right of way. Whether her turn signal was on or not is irrelevant. You're responsible to ensure the intersection was clear before entering it.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #58
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Well sorry to say your 100% at fault . And maybe should review the defensive driving list.

Following these defensive driving tips can help reduce your risk behind the wheel:

Think safety first. ...
Be aware of your surroundings — pay attention. ...
Do not depend on other drivers. ...
Follow the 3- to 4-second rule. ...
Keep your speed down. ...
Have an escape route. ...
Separate risks. ...
Cut out distractions.
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #59
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

You are at fault
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #60
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
Well sorry to say your 100% at fault . And maybe should review the defensive driving list.

Following these defensive driving tips can help reduce your risk behind the wheel:

Think safety first. ...
Be aware of your surroundings — pay attention. ...
Do not depend on other drivers. ...
Follow the 3- to 4-second rule. ...
Keep your speed down. ...
Have an escape route. ...
Separate risks. ...
Cut out distractions.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #61
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Sorry for the situation. Not very good luck with your car since you got hit and run last year.

I always remember this "Only proceed through the intersection when safe"
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #62
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
I did see that his blinker was on just prior to your turn, but regardless, he wouldn't be at fault because ultimately it was your duty to make sure it was "safe" to cross, since you are going into oncoming traffic.

Shitty move on the other guys part for changing their mind last minute though..
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #63
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
That's good to know. I think my best course of action now is to request a Claim Review. If that does not go in my favour, then I will be better off paying for her property damages than tanking the insurance premium.

Collision coverage would've increased my annual insurance by $2,000. I figured I'm better off saving $2k a year and fixing my own damages if an accident occurs. A little ironic now that I look at it...
Drives a 350Z meaning most likely able to afford to pay gas for 15L/100KM on premium. Doesn't want to spend money buy sufficient coverage
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #64
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

lol who does that even?? Honestly, do a lot of people seriously neglect to buy collision?
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #65
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
lol who does that even?? Honestly, do a lot of people seriously neglect to buy collision?
You would be surprised how many people I have dealt with that have no collision and it's not old junk cars they are bran new mustangs and 5 series bmws lol. I'm just like are you nuts?
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,035 Times in 548 Posts
^ that is unthinkable.... fu... i buy collision for my wife's old Versa LOL....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #67
Banned By Establishment

Happened to my sister at Renfrew and Grandview highway. Driver going south signalled left and was pulling into the left turn lane to go east on Grandview hwy. My sister was going north and was turning left to go west on Grandview hwy. Seeing that the other driver was moving into the left turn lane, my sister proceeded to do her left turn. Unfortunately, the other driver changed their mind pulling back out of the left turn lane and proceeded straight through the intersection, hitting my sister on the passenger rear 1/4 panel.
There were no witnesses to confirm her story of the other driver changing their mind of turning left and pulling back out to go straight.
ICBC told her that it will be her fault b/c she was turning left.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #68
Banned By Establishment

Always worth to appeal. You never know unless you try.
Worse case scenario is they say no again.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #69
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
Lots of people fail to get proper insurance on the vehicles, rentals, homes and storage etc to name a few. They all think that it will never happen to me. Well shit happens to everyone as they will learn.
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #70
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
when someone is turned towards me and I'm turning I always wait until the person actually commits to the turn before I go. This day and age you can't trust the other drives which is a huge part of defensive driving.

This is a shitty lesson but a big one for the OP why you should have collision on your vehicle if it aint a beater you don't care about.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #71
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

OP unless I'm mistaken didn't you also have a hit and run on your car?

Seriously, please look into buying coll & comp coverage. Unless your putting the money you saved directly into a separate bank account your fooling yourself when you say "I'll just pay for it if its my fault"

VR6GTI your totally right, I know a korean couple who bough a new forester and proceeded to write it off in a few months later, and they neglected to buy collision.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #72
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #73
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
"

VR6GTI your totally right, I know a korean couple who bough a new forester and proceeded to write it off in a few months later, and they neglected to buy collision.
Lovely.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #74
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I had a similar signal light situation several years ago. I was stopped in the intersection waiting to turn left on my green. Bike in the opposite direction signals his right and takes the curb lane, slowing down as he approaches our intersection, keeps his right blinker on. I turn left as we would have both had our own lanes to turn into.

I'm 3/4 done my turn and see him dump his bike in my rearview mirror, sliding through the intersection. Fortunately he didn't hit anything. Afterwards I told him what happened from my POV, he said he left his blinker on and slowed down to turn into the gas station AFTER the intersection.

Anyhow ICBC deemed me not at fault originally. Then he sued, turned down a 15k settlement. I tried to get my ICBC lawyer to argue negligence on the biker's part, and also the fact that he used poor judgement in dumping his bike and caused his own injury as there was no collision; had he stayed on his bike he would have been able to stop in time

My lawyer seemed more interested in just settling the case and not going to court. No idea what the eventual settlement amount was

Moral of the story, don't rely on other drivers. And make sure you have adequate insurance
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #75
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
i see a blinker, but like you said 1/2 second before you turn he does turn it off and go straight , as you are beginning your turn. It's a shitty situation and sucks that their change of mind in the last possible minute screwed you over, but i will say that ICBC would deem you 100% at fault. I would prob be screaming bloody murder for 50/50 or 75/25 but in the end i know i'd lose that one. You can try to argue and fight it, and waste your time doing so but i'd say you have like a 10% chance of winning anything less than 100% at fault

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote