REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #101
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Outdoor enthusiast cries foul over B.C. Parks licence plates

Outdoor enthusiast cries foul over B.C. Parks licence plates - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
A Vancouver man is calling out the province for what he says is misleading information about how much of the $50 fee for specialty B.C. Parks licence plates actually goes to enhance parks.

Blogger and outdoor enthusiast Steven Jones says he was surprised to recently discover that only $15 of that fee is put towards the province's Park Enhancement Fund.

"There's a bigger question here of transparency and the way that they're running the park system," Jones said.

The province announced the new licence plates in January, explaining that "all net proceeds from the sale and ongoing renewals of B.C. Parks licence plates will be re-invested back into provincial parks."

It described the fund as "a transparent account where revenues enhance programs or services in provincial parks."

Jones says he emailed the province shortly after the announcement to ask exactly how much of the $50 fee would go towards supporting the parks.

"I asked in a very clear direct manner to the Ministry of Environment and received an unequivocal response that ... $33 would go towards the fund," he said.

Porteau cove
Porteau Cove on the Sea to Sky Highway is featured on this special B.C. Parks licence plate. (ICBC)

CBC News obtained the email sent by the ministry's communications manager.

"Can you clarify on that $33? How much of that will go directly into the Park Enhancement Fund?" wrote Jones.

"The entire $33 will go into the park enhancement fund," the communications manager replied.

Similarly, at the time of the announcement, an ICBC spokesman told CBC, "For every new B.C. Parks plate sold, $33 of the initial purchase price will go to B.C. Parks and the provincial government."

Messages posted on the Discover B.C. Parks Facebook page used the exact same language.

BC Parks facebook
A B.C. Parks response to a post on its Facebook account explains that $33 of the initial purchase price of the B.C. Parks licence plates goes toward "B.C. Parks and the provincial government.' (Facebook)

Ministry, ICBC explain discrepancy

But when Jones crunched the most recent numbers from the province about the licence plates, he discovered only $15 of the fee is contributed to the fund — a difference of about $200,000 given how many people have bought the plates so far.

"I think that some of the 11,000 people that stepped forward and put forward this $50 with the intention of making a donation to the B.C. parks fund are going to be a little bit upset that only $15 made it into the B.C. Parks system," Jones said.

A spokesman with the ministry said the province's announcements always made it clear that it is only the net proceeds, or profits, from the licence plate sales that are contributed to the fund.

Purcell Mountains
The Purcell Mountains in B.C.'s Interior is featured on one of the special new licence plates for B.C. Parks. (ICBC)

The spokesman said he couldn't speak to the email Jones received or to the $33 figure posted to the Facebook page.

The breakdown the ministry gave for the $50 fee is as follows:

$18: new licence plate fee to provincial government.
$15: directly to B.C. Parks.
$5: ICBC for cost recovery.
$7: plate manufacturing, shipping and handling.
$5: broker commission.
An ICBC spokesman similarly explained the discrepancy by breaking down the $33 as $15 towards the park fund and $18 towards the province as its standard plate fee cost.

But Jones says those responses don't explain the initial answer he was given about how much of the fee goes towards the park.

"I think that they knew what the net proceeds would be when they launched the program, and if it was only going to be $15 of every $50 that should have been announced up front," he said.

As an avid outdoorsman who often frequents the province's parks, Jones says he wants to see more done to maintain them.

"The government spends a lot of money to attract huge amounts of people to our parks from around the world and it fuels a $16-billion tourism industry," he said.

"The trails are being degraded, the signs are falling over, facilities are falling apart.

"Even if the $200,000 is not a lot in the scheme of the system, it would certainly make a meaningful impact to a trail, to signs and to facilities in the park system."
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #102
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I called it. Everytime people asked me about my parks plate, I had to visibly do air quotes that "icbc says the $40 will go to the parks fun.... So icbc says"
Old 03-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #103
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Let's be honest here....Most people with the park plates got it cause it looks cool

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #104
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Not this crap again. The initial cost is $50, the new plate fee takes $18 of that, leaving $32 remaining. It sounds like some people screwed up by saying it was going to be $33, but considering $33 was never possible all I can do is shake my head at the people complaining. If you're so concerned about every cent possible going to the parks maybe next time check the math beforehand. Of course if ICBC did donate the full amount and just ate all the costs this guy seems like the kind of person who would complain about ICBC subsidized these plates.

The $40 for each additional year does go to the parks though, so that's good either way.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: