REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #101
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Ironic how Apple in the past wouldn't touch Qi wireless charging and OLED panels lol. On the bright side there may be software settings when watching video on the X to shrink the video so that the notch wouldn't cut out part of the video. Or use your thumb to cover it up.
Advertisement
Sir_Loin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #102
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
We'll probably get a pair of Xs because our 5 and 5S are getting long in the tooth and we both use apps for work that are only on iOS.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #103
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts

Same goes for a lot of people in Canada in the winter.

Last edited by Manic!; 09-12-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #104
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Seems like Iphone x is basically the 8 but no home button, oled screen, 2 extra hours of battery and the eyebrow while watching videos?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #105
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
^ considering the screen will run them $130 per device BoM...

the way I see it...if you're upgrading every year or two...the 8 will be fine

it's a larger sum, but the X will probably last you for years. I don't see drastic updates for the X much like how the 8 is still not a drastic departure from the 6 or 6S

now the sides of the phone not covered in glass...is that gonna be a scratch-magnet like the first-gen iPods/iPhones?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #106
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Looks like there's gonna be IOS 11 video settings changing aspect ratio that'll shrink the viewing size of the video so it won't be eaten up by the earpiece on the left side, my OCD is calmed for now but going through apps won't be asymmetrical but I'm sure no one will notice it.
Sir_Loin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #107
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
like the simplicity of apple and current 6 owner. previous 4 owner.
wondering if an upgrade to 8 is worth it.
will be using for another 3 years.

thoughts?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #108
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ i'm on the same boat..
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #109

here ya go
HYDROGEN Pre-Orders
thank me later
Old 09-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #110
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
So what is the difference between 8 and X? So they just plan to skip 9 completely?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #111
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Adjusted for inflation, my 17 year old Nokia 8890 cost more than the X... Paid $1000 for it back in 2000... I was young and stupid once. Would I pay that much for a phone today? No...
Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #112
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
I wonder what they're gonna start naming phones next year.

iPhone 9 seems like a regression. iPhone X(S) can't be right.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #113
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I'm going to guess they continue with their normal naming scheme. The iPhone X is an anniversary edition so it may be a one off and there probably won't be a continuation of that.

Next phones will probably called iPhone 9, iPhone 10, etc... They need to change it at some point tho, iPhone 23 is going to sound pretty stupid.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #114

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/13/i...cing-revealed/

No Freedom announcement except the usual carriers.

2 Year Contract Pricing:

Apple iPhone 8 64GB: $229.99
Apple iPhone 8 256GB: $429.99
Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64GB: $359.99
Apple iPhone 8 Plus 256GB: $559.99

I'm guessing the base model X (64GB) will be priced the same or similar as the 8 Plus.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #115

i for one stopped buying iphones after I bought my iphone6 when they launched back in the day. Bought it outright and will never do that again....paid around I think at the time of launch around $1200+ for the 64gb model. Recently switched to oneplus5 and have had no issues and the price was good too.

When I heard early leaks of the price of the new iphone X I was surprised and shocked on how ridiculous apple is getting. Hearing base model iphone x would cost $1000+ CAD is crazy. If you wanted spec'd out iphone x you would be paying $1700+ after tax which is Ludacris....I mean apple isn't dumb but to continuously put old tech that has been around for years in their phones is quite sad. Raising prices with old tech and people still continue to buy them I guess is smart on their part but doesn't really change the tech industry like they say they are doing.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #116
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/13/i...cing-revealed/

No Freedom announcement except the usual carriers.

2 Year Contract Pricing:

Apple iPhone 8 64GB: $229.99
Apple iPhone 8 256GB: $429.99
Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64GB: $359.99
Apple iPhone 8 Plus 256GB: $559.99

I'm guessing the base model X (64GB) will be priced the same or similar as the 8 Plus.
Freedom won't be carrying any iPhones this year.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
i for one stopped buying iphones after I bought my iphone6 when they launched back in the day. Bought it outright and will never do that again....paid around I think at the time of launch around $1200+ for the 64gb model. Recently switched to oneplus5 and have had no issues and the price was good too.

When I heard early leaks of the price of the new iphone X I was surprised and shocked on how ridiculous apple is getting. Hearing base model iphone x would cost $1000+ CAD is crazy. If you wanted spec'd out iphone x you would be paying $1700+ after tax which is Ludacris....I mean apple isn't dumb but to continuously put old tech that has been around for years in their phones is quite sad. Raising prices with old tech and people still continue to buy them I guess is smart on their part but doesn't really change the tech industry like they say they are doing.

from what I gathered, Face ID isn't really old tech...sure face unlock was on my phone in 2011 but it worked poorly if the lighting was dim or if the angle was off

creating a GPU in-house also takes considerable R&D

it's nice to have Oppo/ZTE/Motorola and other Chinese brands for the mortals but there's clearly a market for the iP7+ 256GB and Pixel XL 128GB that are as hard to find as Nintendo consoles

mobile has gotten to a point of maturation where advances are difficult to appear revolutionary to the layperson

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-13-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #118

Quote:

Face ID and the new AR stuff is impressive IMO.

Regarding price, the base iPhone X 64 GB is only $20 more than the Note 8 (64GB). Yes I know the memory is expandable on Notes...
Old 09-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Freedom won't be carrying any iPhones this year.
So far they've denied to comment (Freedom officials). They're possibly still working out a deal.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #120
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

Hope your 1+ won't be having issue after 1st year. My 1+3 have been having battery and GPS after a year. Battery drain 20%+ overnight not from apps but from system (check the battery status) GPS not loading at all. Reset fix the phone for maybe a week or two and the issue will come back again. 0 support from 1+ at all. Mostly it was the community with solutions which may or may not fix your issue.

Also Samsung is also charging a lot for their phones now ($1000+ the for 8 edge same with the Note 8). Building a phone with standard tech is cheap these days but is the R&D that gets put into the design and the OS that's where the expense goes to.

Notice how all these budget or mid-tire phones doesn't have any outstanding design or anything special other than having good hardware? Coz that's all they can do. They have little to none R&D and just put standard features on the phone.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #121
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

so i believe if you're signing a contract on the 256GB model, you're still paying $1000~ approx out of pocket
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
(64GB). Yes I know the memory is expandable on Notes...
also note (no pun intended) SD card memory is significantly slower than internal which in recent Apple devices are NVMe

might not matter if you're just listening to mp3 but trying to render the slow-mo videos you just took will be very noticeable
Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #123
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Interesting article....
Apple really has nothing innovating do they?

Apple's 'luxury' £999 iPhone X is criticised by fans | Daily Mail Online
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #124
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
My friend who is an apple fan told me about the new iphone and how its the best one because of the new wireless charging and this new screen.... I looked at him and then just looked away...

FaceID isnt new, just facial renegotiation.. but at least apple made it better then Samsung.. haha...

All apple is doing is taking old tech and just improving, which is fine.. but I hate it when people say its new or apple just invented it, etc
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #125
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
My friend who is an apple fan told me about the new iphone and how its the best one because of the new wireless charging and this new screen.... I looked at him and then just looked away...

FaceID isnt new, just facial renegotiation.. but at least apple made it better then Samsung.. haha...

All apple is doing is taking old tech and just improving, which is fine.. but I hate it when people say its new or apple just invented it, etc
Wait........ what about this...ANIMATED EMOJI'S....

https://videos.vidible.tv/prod/2017-...B2C8QXGuVaST-a
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote